2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not applying this cycle, but I am curious. What does Mayo look for in its selected students? Is it something that can't be articulated?

What a question! I suppose it is a pretty standard one for potential students to wonder about, but it is simultaneously the hardest one to answer. But I will certainly give it my best shot.

Just like every other medical school, Mayo is looking for student who can handle the course load. Mayo has a 100% graduation rate, which they are very protective of, and thus they only want to take those they know have the intellect and determination to succeed. This can be proven in a lot of different ways: GPA, MCAT, working in addition to class and still getting good grades, being involevd in a lot of extra curriculars, etc.

But what I think makes Mayo unique as far as medical schools go is that the aforementioned component is a very small fraction of their equation. There are plenty of student in my class with MCATs lower than what might be considered "competitive" for a school rated the way Mayo is, and there are also students with really stellar MCAT scores. But it is not by any means the determining factor. In my opinion (and from my experience meeting other students here), Mayo is looking for two major things: 1) Diversity (and not just by the standard definition), and 2) Socially apt Professionals.

What do I mean by this?
1) Diversity
I do not mean by this skin color or religion or nationality. Of course, Mayo has a wide representation of all of these things. They also have students of the LGBTQ community and students from different age brackets and socioeconomic backgrounds and from many states and countries. But so do a lot of other schools. What I have loved most about Mayo since being here is the diversity that doesn't come in such pre-packaged forms: the diversity of interest. I have met students that played on the Olympic practice squad for soccer, and students that were in the military for four years, and students that were professional opera singers for 10 years before they decided to pursue medicine. What all these students have in common, though, and what all students here seem to have, is passion. And not just passion for medicine. Everyone is of course passionate about helping patients and furthering the knowledge of medicine etcetra etcetra. But that is not the only thing they are passionate about. Everyone seems to have that one thing that is not at all medically realted (singing, sailing, playing trumpet in other countries, being a Dad, doing mission work, blogging, I digress...) that they bring to the table, and that will help them connect with their patients. If you've got a passion like that, Mayo will be interested to hear about it. Don't hide it behind your list of 17 shadowing experiences.

2) Socially apt Professionals
This is sort of a vague way of putting this, so I will once again ramble. Mayo puts a high value on doctors who can communicate well. This means being able to interact with your peers, your superiors, your administrators, your patients, the families of your patients, and the janitor who takes out your trash. This doesn't just mean you can talk to these people; it means you can interact with them in such a way that maintains the relationship and if possible builds on it. Talking to the janitor and talking to the dean of the medical school are two very different interactions, but they both require your attention and should command your respect.

It basically comes back to the other half of this point: professionalism. Respect is a fundamental part of professionalism, and as any student who has been through the Mayo orientation week can tell you, Mayo puts professionalism on the same level of importance as medical competence. Your behavior should never reflect poorly on Mayo or the education you received while you were here. Being able to demonstrate in your application and your interview that you have experience networking, socializing, and empathizing with people from all different walks of life, and that you conduct yourself professionally in all situations, will make you a strong candidate.

THE END (since I wrote a novel, I thought this would be a fitting way to close)

But anyway, I hope that was helpful on some level. Of course, if you asked different people, you would get all different answers to this question based on their perspective, but this is the way I see it based on the people I have met here, both students and faculty, and I feel so incredibly fortunate to have been counted among those they found fitting to invite to learn and work here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all-

I know you've all got a ton of resources on here, but I just wanted to reach out and let you all know that I am willing to help out with any questions you have. I am a current first-year student at Mayo and have been through all these hoops of the application process, so I can tell you how worth it they all are! If I can help in any way, please feel free to ask here or message me and I'll do my best to answer!
What is the role of the medical students on the wards at Mayo? Mayo is a pretty fancy medical center...are medical students very involved in treatment, or are they mostly just observing?

Thank you!
 
What is the role of the medical students on the wards at Mayo? Mayo is a pretty fancy medical center...are medical students very involved in treatment, or are they mostly just observing?

It definitely depends on your level and where you are shadowing. I can tell you right now that you have interactions with real patients from the very first week onward, so you don't need to worry about never seeing a patient until your third year. We have weekly patient interactions built into the curriculum that support the material that is being taught that week.

As far as the wards, as I said, it depends. This week I am shadowing in pathology, and I get to do a lot of hands-on microscope work and discuss with the pathologist about what I am seeing in the microscope and whether it looks normal or abnormal. Do I get to make any final diagnoses? No, but I get the first crack at talking about what I see under the scope and then get help from the pathologist to guide my thought process.

In places like EM or Surgery, of course you're going to observe, especially as a first year. After all, you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. But as you get older and know a bit more what you are doing, you get to do more. For example, I know in family medicine or internal medicine, the consultants will let some of their shadowing students take the history or do the physical exam, come report to them, and then they will come in to see the patient with the student and do a review to make sure everything the student reported was accurate. But you can't do that until you've learned to take a history and do a physical exam.
 
So are we supposed to get an email confirming that they received LOR? If so, does this get sent once you have the minimum number of letters received or once every letter you designated is received? I have 5 that should've been received but the sixth LOR writer is slacking, so maybe that's why I haven't gotten a received email.

Thanks!
 
No, it's a subtle way of saying that some part of me has given up on ever exiting post-LOR purgatory. Complete 8/7, still nothing. 🙁

I have also shifted most of my neurotic anticipation energy to the school I just interviewed at.
 
No, it's a subtle way of saying that some part of me has given up on ever exiting post-LOR purgatory. Complete 8/7, still nothing. 🙁

I have also shifted most of my neurotic anticipation energy to the school I just interviewed at.

I'm with ya. I guess no news is better than a rejection. Anyone else complete 8/7 or in early August still hanging in there?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They must be holding onto these last hundred or so IIs and saving them for a stellar group of applicants, it doesn't seem like any SDN'ers are trickling in either II or Rejection wise.

I'm an early August complete as well.
 
I've been complete since late August... but since I'm not hearing much, would it hurt to add one more letter of rec from a research supervisor?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It took me 2 days, but that was really early in the cycle. I'm guessing it could take a week or two now this late in the cycle..

This sounds like it. It took Mayo 9 days before they received mine. LOR Request 09/01, LOR Received 09/10.

How long have you been waiting?
 

It depends. It seems that they 'receive' a bunch on the same day, so they probably just download the current LOR Request batch all at once. In my case, I got a LOR Request and was received a day later (early Aug) whereas others have waited up to 2 weeks. It's luck of the draw.
 
This sounds like it. It took Mayo 9 days before they received mine. LOR Request 09/01, LOR Received 09/10.

How long have you been waiting?


Thanks for the replies. I got LOR request on 9/1, but my last letter (albeit a non-required one) wasn't received by AMCAS until 9/18, so maybe that's my starting point
 
Hehe yeah, and Mayo doesn't reject anyone post-interview until the end of the cycle. But I guess we at least know we weren't complete jerks at the interview :laugh:

Haha I'm sure you all did well 🙂 And looking at your interview belt, if Mayo isn't your first choice, would you mind handing over an acceptance there to one of us who REALLY REALLY want it?? 😉
 
Good luck to those being ranked! Mayo, my pizza rolls are thawing out. 🙁

pizza-roll-frozen_sm.JPG
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hehe yeah, and Mayo doesn't reject anyone post-interview until the end of the cycle. But I guess we at least know we weren't complete jerks at the interview :laugh:

Just a correction in case anyone is wondering: last year in jan (or around that time) of the people who werent accepted outright, half were rejected and half were put on a waitlist. So mayo does reject post interview before the end of the cycle
 
Status
Not open for further replies.