You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
rejected- complete 8/6
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it's almost been 2 months since I was complete... Should I call the admission office?
If you received an Email that your application is complete, there is no reason to call the admissions office. They have everything they need from you, and unfortunately, there is nothing else to do but wait. I know the waiting is the worst part (or at least it was for me), but there is nothing to be gained from calling admissions. They will only tell you to be patient.
Take deep breaths, and trust in your application strength. You'll all make it through this, I promise.
Take deep breaths, and trust in your application strength. You'll all make it through this, I promise.
Dude, no, don't call the admissions office, or else they will immediately reject you.
Just to clarify for those stressed out enough to maybe believe this, please note: Calling the admissions office does NOT get you an automatic rejection, but for the reasons stated above (see my previous post), I do not advise calling the office. It is just a greater tax on the administration's time, especially considering how busy this time of year is for them.
It is out of respect and and to demonstrate patience that you should not call.
So it's almost been 2 months since I was complete... Should I call the admission office?
+1, I couldn't resist so I emailed 😳 and this is what I got:
"Thank you for your continued interest in Mayo Medical School. Your application remains in consideration for an interview. When a final decision has been made, you will be notified via email.
We appreciate your patience during the review process.
Best regards,"
Mayo, this game isn't fun anymore.🙁
Rejection. submitted 7/26.
rejected- complete 8/6
Sorry to hear it you guys...good luck with the rest of the cycle

Mayo, this game isn't fun anymore.🙁
Heard that! But at least we are still in the running? 🙂
Would anyone who interviewed today be willing to share their experience/thoughts/advice?
8/7 rejected!!
Congrats to all those still in the running, though. Mayo is amazing and I'm so very glad they gave me the serious look they did.
Good luck to all! 🙂
Congrats to all those still in the running, though. Mayo is amazing and I'm so very glad they gave me the serious look they did.
Good luck to all! 🙂
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FYI this is information they told us when we were there:
Expecting ~5500 applications total
~Half will receive LOR requests
~300 will receive interviews invitations
~100 acceptances will be given out when it's all said and done
(Adcom said 60-80 acceptances, but some students said it was about 100 last year, and should be about that many this year as well)
Expecting ~5500 applications total
~Half will receive LOR requests
~300 will receive interviews invitations
~100 acceptances will be given out when it's all said and done
(Adcom said 60-80 acceptances, but some students said it was about 100 last year, and should be about that many this year as well)
FYI this is information they told us when we were there:
Expecting ~5500 applications total
~Half will receive LOR requests
~300 will receive interviews invitations
~100 acceptances will be given out when it's all said and done
(Adcom said 60-80 acceptances, but some students said it was about 100 last year, and should be about that many this year as well)
Thanks so much for the info!
There's a short description of my experience at Mayo at the bottom of my MDApps. The interview day was pretty standard; 2 open interviews, 30 minutes each. Tour/lunch with medical students, free time in between, presentations from admission committee members.
Your interviewers are supposed to be your "advocates" in the Mayo admissions system. They present you to the committee, and then the committee votes and ranks you. Interviews are generally conversational and relaxed.
Your interviewers are supposed to be your "advocates" in the Mayo admissions system. They present you to the committee, and then the committee votes and ranks you. Interviews are generally conversational and relaxed.
There's a short description of my experience at Mayo at the bottom of my MDApps. The interview day was pretty standard; 2 open interviews, 30 minutes each. Tour/lunch with medical students, free time in between, presentations from admission committee members.
Haha yea just noticed that. Thanks 🙂
Haha yea just noticed that. Thanks 🙂
No problem! I think the interviewers really just want to get to know you to be able to present you to the rest of the committee. I wouldn't worry about it any more than interviewing at other schools. Just do the usual preparation stuff.
No problem! I think the interviewers really just want to get to know you to be able to present you to the rest of the committee. I wouldn't worry about it any more than interviewing at other schools. Just do the usual preparation stuff.
Hey KDizzle,
I'm curious as to what lends you to believe this tid-bit on your MDApps/what grounds you negate the traditional paradigm
"Some people on SDN think that after you get an interview, you're on an equal playing field with everyone else who's interviewing. Yeah, that's not true. It's more like a system of ladder rungs where each rung represents an interviewee who is placed higher or lower based on the strength of his/her application up to that point."
Hey KDizzle,
I'm curious as to what lends you to believe this tid-bit on your MDApps/what grounds you negate the traditional paradigm
"Some people on SDN think that after you get an interview, you're on an equal playing field with everyone else who's interviewing. Yeah, that's not true. It's more like a system of ladder rungs where each rung represents an interviewee who is placed higher or lower based on the strength of his/her application up to that point."
Various statements made by admission committee members and personal logic:
Just as an example, Baylor gives each applicant a numerical score based on the strength of his/her application on paper. The top X number of applicants on the list is invited to interview each week. After each interview, the applicant is given an additional numerical score from each interviewer, and this score is added to the original "paper" score. The highest X scores from the list are then notified of their acceptance.
I pick this example because their system is so explicitly the "ladder rung" model of admissions, but the way that other schools operate is implicitly this model as well.
Your interview only makes sense taken in the context of your application up to that point. Even schools like Mayo that have more unorthodox admissions techniques where MCAT/GPA really don't matter after you have your foot in the door with an interview are going to take into account the relative strength of your extracurriculars, your LORs, your PS, etc. alone and considering how they fit together with each other and your interview before ultimately making a decision. Thus, applicants are never on exactly "equal footing" because they were extended an interview.
Hey KDizzle,
I'm curious as to what lends you to believe this tid-bit on your MDApps/what grounds you negate the traditional paradigm
"Some people on SDN think that after you get an interview, you're on an equal playing field with everyone else who's interviewing. Yeah, that's not true. It's more like a system of ladder rungs where each rung represents an interviewee who is placed higher or lower based on the strength of his/her application up to that point."
LizzyM posted about this topic and her explanation is pretty much the same as Kdizzle's post. From my very limited interview experience I also got the impression that this is how the interviews/acceptances work at least at some schools. Even at Pittsburgh where they told us our stats don't matter at the interview stage, I am pretty sure my interviewer(who was on the adcom) already formed an opinion of me based off my application since he talked the whole time and I said maybe 5 sentences total in 45 minutes. So I highly doubt everyone is on an equal playing field for most schools.
Edit: wrote this before Kdizzle but had no reception, obviously I am too slow.
wow half of Mayo applicants get LOR request? I thought that number would be closer to 20 percent or at most 1/3.
LizzyM posted about this topic and her explanation is pretty much the same as Kdizzle's post. From my very limited interview experience I also got the impression that this is how the interviews/acceptances work at least at some schools. Even at Pittsburgh where they told us our stats don't matter at the interview stage, I am pretty sure my interviewer(who was on the adcom) already formed an opinion of me based off my application since he talked the whole time and I said maybe 5 sentences total in 45 minutes. So I highly doubt everyone is on an equal playing field for most schools.
Edit: wrote this before Kdizzle but had no reception, obviously I am too slow.
I would have to agree with Tots/KDizzle. Yes, at an interview everyone knows you're academically qualified, but that doesn't mean that your achievements all disappear because you're now all at the same stage again. All of this comes into play when making the acceptance selections. Mayo is about as 'even' as you get in this regard, but I would be astonished if they did not consider stats at all.
I am glad to hear that though, Tots. I had a similar experience with interviews and I was concerned that my application was going to get hindered by a lack of feedback regarding my personality. The faculty adviser spent most of the time talking about their hospital work and research during my interview, then proceeded to tell me that when I come there next year I need to work with that lab. 😕 The student interviewer also slipped a, "If you feel like you belong, you ought to come here when you're accepted." I attribute nothing toward it since the student is completely blind and the faculty is semi-blinded toward the process. However, it was definitely odd how optimistic they were when only 50% get acceptances, mostly off a waitlist...
LizzyM posted about this topic and her explanation is pretty much the same as Kdizzle's post. From my very limited interview experience I also got the impression that this is how the interviews/acceptances work at least at some schools. Even at Pittsburgh where they told us our stats don't matter at the interview stage, I am pretty sure my interviewer(who was on the adcom) already formed an opinion of me based off my application since he talked the whole time and I said maybe 5 sentences total in 45 minutes. So I highly doubt everyone is on an equal playing field for most schools.
Edit: wrote this before Kdizzle but had no reception, obviously I am too slow.
Why are you always trying to steal my thunder, Tots?! 😛
Why are you always trying to steal my thunder, Tots?! 😛
Just didn't want to look ludicrous with my average answer after your fantastic essay 😛
And Can't we all just share the thunder!? 😀
I tried searching the thread but still couldn't find an answer. Is it fairly common to send additional letters to Mayo? I know they require three but I wanted to send an additional two. Do they prefer only to receive the three required ones?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tried searching the thread but still couldn't find an answer. Is it fairly common to send additional letters to Mayo? I know they require three but I wanted to send an additional two. Do they prefer only to receive the three required ones?
I think I sent six? If you think the letters add to your application, send them in.
I finally got asked to pay the fee (which I have FAP so they waved it after an email).
Submitted verified primary on June 28th.
Mayo was the last school that I heard back from. I was worried I was going to be rejected prepayment.
Submitted verified primary on June 28th.
Mayo was the last school that I heard back from. I was worried I was going to be rejected prepayment.
Last edited:
I am just so in love with this school. Seriously. Every time I read their curriculum, squeals just involuntarily come out. 😍😍😍
👍
Good luck to all those interviewing tomorrow 🙂
Is it just me or did Mayo really slow down the cycle starting in mid-August?
Is it just me or did Mayo really slow down the cycle starting in mid-August?
Sure seems like it...Which complete date did we leave off on? 😕
Sure seems like it...Which complete date did we leave off on? 😕
I think it was 8/7..?
I think it was 8/7..?
Yeah we were just starting the 8/6-8/7 dates and all of a sudden everything just stopped.🙁
I'm assuming Mayo is at least half way done giving out their interviews thus far, so maybe they're just getting more selective and meticulous? That might explain the rejections and few if any IIs as of late...
Yeah we were just starting the 8/6-8/7 dates and all of a sudden everything just stopped.🙁
I'm assuming Mayo is at least half way done giving out their interviews thus far, so maybe they're just getting more selective and meticulous? That might explain the rejections and few if any IIs as of late...
Could be...hope you become one of the lucky few!

Yeah we were just starting the 8/6-8/7 dates and all of a sudden everything just stopped.🙁
I'm assuming Mayo is at least half way done giving out their interviews thus far, so maybe they're just getting more selective and meticulous? That might explain the rejections and few if any IIs as of late...
Checked for you...the earliest date that's showing up on the interview sign-up page is Nov 9th and the last is Dec 17th.
Checked for you...the earliest date that's showing up on the interview sign-up page is Nov 9th and the last is Dec 17th.
Thanks, here's a really rough estimate of interviews left then:
Interviews began this Monday, September 10th, and end on December 17th (according to the above). That is 98 days total. If the earliest date available is November 9th, that is a total of 38 days between Nov. 9 and Dec. 17th.
Out of an estimated 300 offered interviews, there are then approximately 184 interviews given out thus far, and 116 remaining. A more reasonable estimate would be that 2/3 (200) interviews have been given thus far, and 1/3 (100) remain to be given. I would expect Mayo to be much more critical of the last 100 applicants they give interviews to.
Good luck, everyone!

Thanks, here's a really rough estimate of interviews left then:
Interviews began this Monday, September 10th, and end on December 17th (according to the above). That is 98 days total. If the earliest date available is November 9th, that is a total of 38 days between Nov. 9 and Dec. 17th.
Out of an estimated 300 offered interviews, there are then approximately 184 interviews given out thus far, and 116 remaining. A more reasonable estimate would be that 2/3 (200) interviews have been given thus far, and 1/3 (100) remain to be given. I would expect Mayo to be much more critical of the last 100 applicants they give interviews to.
Good luck, everyone!![]()
Interviews are on Mondays and Wednesdays (I think) only...and a couple of those M/W's aren't holding interviews
EDIT: counted for you--11 interview days between Nov 9 and Dec. 17
Interviews are on Mondays and Wednesdays (I think) only...and a couple of those M/W's aren't holding interviews
EDIT: counted for you--11 interview days between Nov 9 and Dec. 17
Unless you know the total number of interview days or the number of interviewers per day that doesn't help much alone 😉
I'm assuming there're 10 interviewers/day? That'd put the number of spots left as < 110, which is right on the approximation. I would assume the actual number of spots open is for sure between 100 and 150, or 2/3 to 1/2 given out already, respectively.
I'm bored waiting to go out and drink... sorry haha
There are 11 interview days left. There are anywhere from 10-14 students per interview day. That means there could be up to about 130 interview slots still available, but that is a high estimate because some of the slots on those days are likely filled.
Mayo has a rolling admissions process, so it does get more selective as it gets later in the process. However, that does not mean they are done offering interviews or that you can't get in if you get an offer later in the cycle. I can assure you (from personal knowledge) that they are still giving out interviews, and that some of those interviews are coming from individuals with later complete dates. It just so happens that not everyone posts on this board, so you get only a fraction of the larger picture.
Everyone just take a deep breath and enjoy the weekend!
Mayo has a rolling admissions process, so it does get more selective as it gets later in the process. However, that does not mean they are done offering interviews or that you can't get in if you get an offer later in the cycle. I can assure you (from personal knowledge) that they are still giving out interviews, and that some of those interviews are coming from individuals with later complete dates. It just so happens that not everyone posts on this board, so you get only a fraction of the larger picture.
Everyone just take a deep breath and enjoy the weekend!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take this advice 🙂Everyone just take a deep breath and enjoy the weekend!
.
Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck booking at the Kahler Grand Hotel? I don't think the discount is working for me
Has anyone had any luck booking at the Kahler Grand Hotel? I don't think the discount is working for me
When did you get your interview invite email? They send an email for student hosting a couple business days after it..
Hey all-
I know you've all got a ton of resources on here, but I just wanted to reach out and let you all know that I am willing to help out with any questions you have. I am a current first-year student at Mayo and have been through all these hoops of the application process, so I can tell you how worth it they all are! If I can help in any way, please feel free to ask here or message me and I'll do my best to answer!
I'm not applying this cycle, but I am curious. What does Mayo look for in its selected students? Is it something that can't be articulated?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K