2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any idea when the next set of II's will be released?

They aren't in any hurry, though a lot of rejections went out this week last cycle. A couple IIs leaked through as well. They'll trickle out the rest of the time as Mayo becomes more and more selective with their IIs.

From the 2011-2012 thread by Snuke:

Within our small population size, the whole process seems to have slowed down. At the beginning, we had many people on the same step, so it was easier to see dates and trends. Now, not so much. Whether that's because the admissions staff is busy, or the particular people posting on SDN on this step will be rejected, we have no way of knowing, but my money is on the first option. Also, Mayo has admitted that the process tightens up as we get later in the year.

Right now, the (small) admission staff is interviewing, looking at files to rank them, looking at LORs, and reading primaries to decide who gets a LOR request. I know it's hard, but be patient. Just know that waiting =| rejection.
 
They aren't in any hurry, though a lot of rejections went out this week last cycle. A couple IIs leaked through as well. They'll trickle out the rest of the time as Mayo becomes more and more selective with their IIs.

From the 2011-2012 thread by Snuke:

Thanks 🙂
 
Thanks 🙂

You're very welcome!

A note to keep in mind though, IIs are basically over by the end of October, as the pool for IIs is less than 20-30 at that point. They only interview through December. On top of that, about 2/3 of the total interviews have already been given at this point.

The admissions office also gets extremely busy around 10/15 (when the first acceptances pour in), so expect most news to precede that date and the week or even more before it. I would expect this week and next to be about as active on the rejection/interview invite train as it'll get the rest of the cycle, but that's not saying much. Mayo is unique in that it fastforwards through the cycle, making it extremely difficult to get in if your application isn't in that first week and exceedingly more so the later and later you get.

Maybe forsparta or Wisco1 will be more helpful on this front. Like mentioned, I expect everything to be very dilute on the Mayo front behind all the interviews and acceptances they are now focused on.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I recieved a Mayo LOR request a few weeks back and my LOR's just cleared AMCAS late last week. Does anyone know how long the lag is between AMCAS recieving a letter and Mayo emailing to confirm reciept of letter if both happen after Mayo LOR request? Thanks for the helping a neurotic pre-med!🙂

Mayo seems to 'receive' letters in batches. It almost appears to be random when they actually do it. Your letters would then be received whenever the next 'batch' is, which could be anywhere between a day and two weeks from now.

The last interviews updated here were from as far back as 8/6, Mayo seems pretty backlogged.

Hope that helps!
 
Interviewed today and wow. What is this place!? I was not a believer but now I am.

:laugh:

Now you understand why 40+ MCAT / 4.0 students pick Mayo over top tiers, why SDN worships Mayo's feet, and why I'm saddened I haven't gotten an II!

Good luck though, Oct 15th is quickly approaching.
 
Interviewed today and wow. What is this place!? I was not a believer but now I am.

I am so glad to hear you had a positive interview experience! For those of you still waiting to hear back on various stages, hang in there! We're all rooting for you 🙂
 
YESSSSS I got a LOR request :banana: So this means I have another month or so before getting a big fat rejection? 😍
 
How strict is mayo in their LOR request?
They require that all the writers use letter head and have identification information on each LOR... I don't think all my letter writers used letter heads. I know one professor used one form from career center and they will not have identification information in each page..

Is anyone in the same boat?
 
Request for letters received last night. Hopefully I have strong letters because I would love to be invited to interview here!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed today and wow. What is this place!? I was not a believer but now I am.

Post more about your experience at Mayo (or on your MDApp)! I'm sure many of us would love to live your interview experiences vicariously through your words!
 
YESSSSS I got a LOR request :banana: So this means I have another month or so before getting a big fat rejection? 😍

Congratulations! Could you share when you submitted? Haven't heard anything yet, submitted 8/3


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app
 
Could anyone have any idea if each letter does not include AAMC#?
I used packet letter using the career center letter service and I know that letter writers did not put my aamc# on their letters.. Is it potentially a huge problem? I am so worried.
 
Congratulations! Could you share when you submitted? Haven't heard anything yet, submitted 8/3


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Thanks! I sent them my hard-earned money on 9/14 :laugh:

I know the chances are slim for an interview but at least I'll be in good company if I'm rejected
 
Could anyone have any idea if each letter does not include AAMC#?
I used packet letter using the career center letter service and I know that letter writers did not put my aamc# on their letters.. Is it potentially a huge problem? I am so worried.

I'm pretty sure my letter writers didn't write my AAMC # either...I'm no expert but I don't see this really being an issue. If it is, I'm sure they'll contact you about it but I would think that many applicants are the in the same boat as us.
 
How strict is mayo in their LOR request?
They require that all the writers use letter head and have identification information on each LOR... I don't think all my letter writers used letter heads. I know one professor used one form from career center and they will not have identification information in each page..

Is anyone in the same boat?

One of my letter writers didn't use official letterhead or sign his letter. Mayo's admission office contacted me to let me know and requested I have my letter writer resubmit his letter to AMCAS, which I did.
 
One of my letter writers didn't use official letterhead or sign his letter. Mayo's admission office contacted me to let me know and requested I have my letter writer resubmit his letter to AMCAS, which I did.

I think the letterhead and signature are required, but the AMCAS # is not, at least based on the wording of the email:

Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference. Letters must be on letterhead and must be signed by your letter writer.

I think the AMCAS number is just for Mayo's convenience, while it makes sense that the letterhead and signature are required (to verify the letter is legitimate).
 
Post more about your experience at Mayo (or on your MDApp)! I'm sure many of us would love to live your interview experiences vicariously through your words!

Your wish is my command(it's on my MDapps). The description is not that detailed(I could write 10,000 more words haha!) but hopefully it is what you were looking for.

Good luck to everyone else interviewing 😀 !😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my letter writers didn't use official letterhead or sign his letter. Mayo's admission office contacted me to let me know and requested I have my letter writer resubmit his letter to AMCAS, which I did.
Hey xiwang,

Hi, I saw that you had a problem with LOR going to MAYO that was not signed/had letterhead. How long did it take between your LOR request and MAYO telling you that the letter was not signed?

Just yesterday I had one school inform me that one of the letter was not signed, but I have not heard anything about it from other 15+ schools. I was wondering if MAYO just takes more time to go over letters?
 
I was complete around 8/29. Darn, by the time they reach my date, there probably won't be any interview slots left! That's what I get for adding them to AMCAS late.
 
Your wish is my command(it's on my MDapps). The description is not that detailed(I could write 10,000 more words haha!) but hopefully it is what you were looking for.

Good luck to everyone else interviewing 😀 !😍

Your description sounds amazing! That's what I was looking for 😛 Were the interviews here the same as elsewhere (conversational) or more structured with questions?
 
Got the reject last night, complete 8/7. Congrats to everyone with interview invites, and good luck to those still waiting for one!
 
Tots & others that have interviewed/got invites recently...will they get in touch with me soon about student hosting like it mentions on the website, or should I go ahead and email them?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got rejected today no LOR request 3.74 34 MCAT OOS :/ Paid my fee on 9/15 - damn I must have been a really crappy applicant! First rejection and no II yet! :/
 
Last edited:
Just got rejected today no LOR request 3.74 34 MCAT OOS :/ Paid my fee on 9/15 - damn I must have been a really crappy applicant! First rejection and no II yet! :/

I highly doubt you're a crappy applicant. You have great numbers and will most likely get into a great school! This late in the game, Mayo has VERY few interview invites to give, so they're just being as selective as possible. This probably has more to do with Mayo trying to pick out the most unique/diverse applicants than anything...Don't beat yourself up for it..You also submitted your AMCAS last month so you didn't get to submit your secondaries as early as you would've liked. So realize it'll take more time than usual to hear from most schools. You'll definitely get some invites soon. Just try to be patient 🙂
 
Just got rejected today no LOR request 3.74 34 MCAT OOS :/ Paid my fee on 9/15 - damn I must have been a really crappy applicant! First rejection and no II yet! :/

34/3.74 is pretty great! Mayo is just unique in that they've already given out over 2/3 of their interviews by now, and are still just crossing into August applications. It's absolutely imperative that you get your application in early if you want a shot here. Applying late July and even into August is going to be extremely disadvantageous and require an incredibly impressive application.

I would highly doubt you'll see any low stat applicants getting IIs like we did earlier in the cycle now, or else they have an amazing story to tell that caught Mayo's golden eye.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.