2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected. No surprises. I liked that they put "Not Selected" in the subject to take away the 5-seconds of anticipation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ Sorry to hear guys, try to ace your other interviews!


I was complete 8/29, so I guess my rejection should come in day or two. 🙁
 
Right there with ya...hold status. At least they said half the class comes off the waitlist right?

Yea, but I think that's a bit deceiving. Half the class is only ~20 students...from a waitlist of ~100 people IIRC. Haha, but still trying to keep my hopes up :xf:
 
Just out of curiosity, has anyone managed to find a hotel cheaper than the promo rate at the Grand Kahler? I'll be driving in so I don't mind staying a couple miles away. These interviews have really left me strapped for cash!!!


there's a Days Inn close by! it might be cheaper
 
Just out of curiosity, has anyone managed to find a hotel cheaper than the promo rate at the Grand Kahler? I'll be driving in so I don't mind staying a couple miles away. These interviews have really left me strapped for cash!!!

If you're driving in and are strapped for cash, you can always sleep in your car 🤣
 
Yea, but I think that's a bit deceiving. Half the class is only ~20 students...from a waitlist of ~100 people IIRC. Haha, but still trying to keep my hopes up :xf:

I'm a bit confused by this hold status. They told us that only a few (5 or so) people get in before December, the rest get in around March, and half the class comes off the waitlist. Does that mean that we all get put on hold until March until they decide to accept us or not, or does the hold equate with a waitlist decision?
 
I'm a bit confused by this hold status. They told us that only a few (5 or so) people get in before December, the rest get in around March, and half the class comes off the waitlist. Does that mean that we all get put on hold until March until they decide to accept us or not, or does the hold equate with a waitlist decision?

I thought they said they try to fill the entire class by christmas time. Then the big shuffle comes after waitlist list/may 15th. 50-60 acceptances before christmas I thought.
 
Here is my understanding of the process:

They accept enough people to fill the class by December/January. At the end of January, ~100 people are put on the waitlist and the others are rejected. If you are put on hold following your interview (usually within 1-2 weeks), then you have a chance of getting in anytime between being put on hold and January, since they review the hold applications each week along with those of applicants who more recently interviewed. If you are not admitted by December/January/whenever they fill the class, you will hear either a waitlist or rejection decision.

I'm not positive that this is all 100% correct, but it's what I've gathered over time.
 
here is my understanding of the process:

They accept enough people to fill the class by december/january. At the end of january, ~100 people are put on the waitlist and the others are rejected. If you are put on hold following your interview (usually within 1-2 weeks), then you have a chance of getting in anytime between being put on hold and january, since they review the hold applications each week along with those of applicants who more recently interviewed. If you are not admitted by december/january/whenever they fill the class, you will hear either a waitlist or rejection decision.

I'm not positive that this is all 100% correct, but it's what i've gathered over time.


+1
 
Here is my understanding of the process:

They accept enough people to fill the class by December/January. At the end of January, ~100 people are put on the waitlist and the others are rejected. If you are put on hold following your interview (usually within 1-2 weeks), then you have a chance of getting in anytime between being put on hold and January, since they review the hold applications each week along with those of applicants who more recently interviewed. If you are not admitted by December/January/whenever they fill the class, you will hear either a waitlist or rejection decision.

I'm not positive that this is all 100% correct, but it's what I've gathered over time.

+2. That information is correct.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I cannot not!

I cannot not stay away from this thread any longer!

Oh Mayo...

Mayo, Mayo, Mayo... you tease me, you do. What with that letter request and all... I mean, it tickled me.

Why, it tickled me pink!

Tell me... Mayo...

What I gotta do to get to second base, Mayo? Darling...?
 
If you're driving in and are strapped for cash, you can always sleep in your car 🤣

Might freeze to death up there. Especially with snowmablizzageddon or whatever the storm's called these days.

Still my #1 school Mayo. Hoping to hear back next week...
 
If you're driving in and are strapped for cash, you can always sleep in your car 🤣

Haha..and ask admissions if they have a shower I could jump in before the day gets started....

I found a spot not too far away for $35. Can't beat that.

2nd Street Inn/Lodge/something for anyone wondering.
 
Interviewed today. They said 15 students had already been accepted and they'll accept 41 students since one person deferred last year. That makes this the most competitive interview season in all of mayo history they said.

I absolutely loved my interview day. Crossing my fingers for one of those 26 spots!
 
Interviewed today. They said 15 students had already been accepted and they'll accept 41 students since one person deferred last year. That makes this the most competitive interview season in all of mayo history they said.

I absolutely loved my interview day. Crossing my fingers for one of those 26 spots!

15 already? Most competitive season? One deferral? This is looking rough!:xf:
 
Interviewed today. They said 15 students had already been accepted and they'll accept 41 students since one person deferred last year. That makes this the most competitive interview season in all of mayo history they said.

You sure that's 41 students total, and not an additional 41ish? That'd be nearly a 20% drop in their normal yearly enrollment.

Edit: Also, comparing to US News & World, about half of their class gets in off the waitlist, so people can still be a little optimistic 🙂
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You sure that's 41 students total, and not an additional 41ish? That'd be nearly a 20% drop in their normal yearly enrollment.

Edit: Also, comparing to US News & World, about half of their class gets in off the waitlist, so people can still be a little optimistic 🙂

I think the class is 42 md only, 6 md/phd and 2 oral surgery
 
Haha, whelp, little we can do either way but wait.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the updates. Tots hit the nail on the head with the numbers. Yep def said at the interview that one deferred from last year.
 
Here's what Gina said at the orientation about the waitlist:

The interviewers rank you on a 5 point scale with 5 being the highest. If you are placed on hold, you will either be put on waitlist or released by January. There are 45 - 46 accepted (they call it "appointed" at Mayo) by January and an unranked waitlist of about 60-80 people. About half of the matriculating class usually come from the waitlist, so I think it actually ends up around 60-70 people being offered acceptance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, if you've been accepted please join the "Mayo Medical School Class of 2017 Accepted Students" facebook group that some of the current students created. I'd love to start meeting some future classmates!
 
Interview invite to the MSTP program today! Complete September 18th. Gunning for one of those 6 spots. Anybody have any idea how many they interview for MSTP?
 
does anyone know when the next round of appointments goes out?

I called Gina earlier today and she told me within 2-4 weeks if LOR's were received today. In last year's thread, II's went out this coming weekend. So probably within like 2 weeks from now if you were submitted earlier
 
I called Gina earlier today and she told me within 2-4 weeks if LOR's were received today. In last year's thread, II's went out this coming weekend. So probably within like 2 weeks from now if you were submitted earlier

Things must be speeding up. There's a lot of people in the thread from the end of August who haven't heard anything yet.
 
Things must be speeding up. There's a lot of people in the thread from the end of August who haven't heard anything yet.

Yea I guess so. She told me that earlier in the cycle it would typically be 4-8 weeks for an interview invitation, but now that it's towards the end it's much less.
 
Yea I guess so. She told me that earlier in the cycle it would typically be 4-8 weeks for an interview invitation, but now that it's towards the end it's much less.

Well, it's been 9~10 weeks for the people at the end of August. Unless there's just a bunch of people from around then on hold.
 
I called Gina earlier today and she told me within 2-4 weeks if LOR's were received today. In last year's thread, II's went out this coming weekend. So probably within like 2 weeks from now if you were submitted earlier

I meant the next round of acceptances/holds etc after interviews!
 
It seems like the last post-interview activity was Oct 15th (acceptances) and Oct 19th (holds). Hoping next week is the next round!
 
It seems like the last post-interview activity was Oct 15th (acceptances) and Oct 19th (holds). Hoping next week is the next round!

Last round of holds was actually last week (Oct 31st). I'm guessing acceptance calls went out the same day, though there wasn't any confirmation on the thread about it..But if this were the case, then next round should indeed be next week! :xf:

Good luck everyone!

P.S. OBAMAAAA!!!
 
Ranked today! They start out the email saying congradulations for being one of the few selected to.... interview. Do you know the range of time between being ranked and hearing a decision?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They might wait an extra week just to let the neuroticism reach a breaking point.
 
^^ did not know they had a 8/23 complete date. I thought I would be the next one to find out, but I had a complete date of 8/29. Guess I have to still wait a couple of days for my rejection. I was hoping to have a final decision long before now, so that I can move on with my other schools and so that I am not emotionally invested in mayo. 🙁
 
Status
Not open for further replies.