-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I am not applying this year (i'm an incoming sophomore), but I wanted to wish you guys the best of luck! And I was also wondering if you had some wise advice to pass on to future applicants. Mayo is by far my top choice. Good luck again!
It's a crap shoot, Mayo has a <1% acceptance rate, good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could a reason why I haven't heard back from Mayo is because they are waiting on my 2nd mcat score?
yep. They have a screening LizzyM score of 63, so I think they are waiting for your MCAT score.
yep. They have a screening LizzyM score of 63, so I think they are waiting for your MCAT score.
How do you know they have a screen "LizzyM" score of 63?
How do you know they have a screen "LizzyM" score of 63?
The adcoms told us during a tour.
The adcoms told us during a tour.
They told you they use the LizzyM score? I just lost a lot of respect for mayo 👎
They told you they use the lizzym score? I just lost a lot of respect for mayo 👎
all schools have some sort of screening process based on numbers. I'm sure they didnt specifically say LizzyM score, but it shouldent suprise you that they have some sort of minimal number screen for them to consider an applicant.
all schools have some sort of screening process based on numbers. I'm sure they didnt specifically say LizzyM score, but it shouldent suprise you that they have some sort of minimal number screen for them to consider an applicant.
Was just about to say this 🙂
all schools have some sort of screening process based on numbers. I'm sure they didnt specifically say LizzyM score, but it shouldent suprise you that they have some sort of minimal number screen for them to consider an applicant.
yep, they gave the equation for their screening which was basically the LizzyM score calculation.
yep, they gave the equation for their screening which was basically the LizzyM score calculation.
63 is pretty low on the LizzyM scale.. maybe its right lol
Just got an email from the admissions coordinator inquiring about fulfilling the 1 year bio lab pre-req. After explaining that my school allows students in my major to replace one of our 2 required lab courses with research work in a biology lab, she promptly replied (in 3 minutes) that it was fine. Thought I was going to have to stress about this overnight! Thankful that they didn't just throw my app in the trash 😀 . I'm HOPING that means I might be under consideration for a LOR request (probably not, but one can hope, right?).
On a related note, do you still get a LOR request if you have already assigned them to Mayo on your AMCAS or will they just pull them up without letting you know?
p.s. fee received 7/19
On a related note, do you still get a LOR request if you have already assigned them to Mayo on your AMCAS or will they just pull them up without letting you know?
p.s. fee received 7/19
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an email from the admissions coordinator inquiring about fulfilling the 1 year bio lab pre-req. After explaining that my school allows students in my major to replace one of our 2 required lab courses with research work in a biology lab, she promptly replied (in 3 minutes) that it was fine. Thought I was going to have to stress about this overnight! Thankful that they didn't just throw my app in the trash 😀 . I'm HOPING that means I might be under consideration for a LOR request (probably not, but one can hope, right?).
On a related note, do you still get a LOR request if you have already assigned them to Mayo on your AMCAS or will they just pull them up without letting you know?
p.s. fee received 7/19
I was in the same case as you except that i haven't taken biochem. right after they asked i got a lor request that night. so maybe there's something to it 😀
Mayo does immediately screen out applicants with a "LizzyM" score below a 63. It used to be only 60, but they upped it recently. Note, this is a pretty damned low score to begin with, it's just to get rid of the people that have absolutely no chance at the school. (Having a 3.5 and a 28 is pretty low for a school like this...)
Note, "LizzyM" score exists because many schools in the top tiers used it, including Lizzy's, to screen applicants in a reasonable time. It's not like they're taking ideas to screen applicants from a user online, it's the other way around.
Other than that, everyone calm down. You're not in the running or out of the running until Mayo sends you an email around 2:30 AM (EST).
Note, "LizzyM" score exists because many schools in the top tiers used it, including Lizzy's, to screen applicants in a reasonable time. It's not like they're taking ideas to screen applicants from a user online, it's the other way around.
Other than that, everyone calm down. You're not in the running or out of the running until Mayo sends you an email around 2:30 AM (EST).
...Other than that, everyone calm down. You're not in the running or out of the running until Mayo sends you an email around 2:30 AM (EST).
Oh no, are you saying I'm going to be rejected tonight?!? 😱

😀
In other news, is Mayo on Epic yet?
Oh no, are you saying I'm going to be rejected tonight?!? 😱
😀
In other news, is Mayo on Epic yet?
I like to think about it the other way; as in: Oh boy, tonight could be the night I get an II from Mayo.
😀
I like to think about it the other way; as in: Oh boy, tonight could be the night I get an II from Mayo.
😀
It strikes me that the app process is a lot like Christmas - every morning I wake up and check my email to see if Santa brought me an awesome present or a lump of coal. 😛
It strikes me that the app process is a lot like Christmas - every morning I wake up and check my email to see if Santa brought me an awesome present or a lump of coal. 😛
Lol yes. This described it perfectly.
It strikes me that the app process is a lot like Christmas - every morning I wake up and check my email to see if Santa brought me an awesome present or a lump of coal. 😛
This is the best way to describe it!
I wake up every morning, roll over, grab my iPhone, and pray I only have good news!
It strikes me that the app process is a lot like Christmas - every morning I wake up and check my email to see if Santa brought me an awesome present or a lump of coal. 😛
...And you can't help yourself but to think you're going to get a sweet present, after which you make subtle attempts to try to find out what all your friends got:
"...So I really hope you got something good!..."
"Oh yeah, my parents are the BEST! I got the Brain yo-yo that RETURNS TO YOUR HAND ON ITS OWN."
"Awesome..."
"Yeah, it's great... Did you get a Brain?"
"Well, no... But I asked for a Butterfly anyway..."
"Oh... Well, that's cool too I guess."
...And you can't help yourself but to think you're going to get a sweet present, after which you make subtle attempts to try to find out what all your friends got:
"...So I really hope you got something good!..."
"Oh yeah, my parents are the BEST! I got the Brain yo-yo that RETURNS TO YOUR HAND ON ITS OWN."
"Awesome..."
"Yeah, it's great... Did you get a Brain?"
"Well, no... But I asked for a Butterfly anyway..."
"Oh... Well, that's cool too I guess."
LOL true.
this is the best way to describe it!
I wake up every morning, roll over, grab my iphone, and pray i only have good news!
+1
Hmm maybe closer to the end of the week we'll see some action (fingers crossed).. I got a LOR 7/21 and just got the LOR received email yesterday, 7/24 at 5:25pm.
This thread is absurdly long considering it's July.
This thread is absurdly long considering it's July.
This gonna be legen... wait for it.....dary
This gonna be legen... wait for it.....dary
I love Barney!
man i was kind of hoping we would hear something this morning. Maybe tomm!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fee received 7/16, LOR request 2:30AM 7/26
Nice!! They're on 7/16 dates, hopefully I hear something soon 🙂
yep. They have a screening LizzyM score of 63, so I think they are waiting for your MCAT score.
Okay but I just plugged my numbers into that calculator and my LizzyM score is a 65.4... From my first mcat score. And STILL no LOR request :-( :-(
Last edited:
This is the best way to describe it!
I wake up every morning, roll over, grab my iPhone, and pray I only have good news!
I woke up at 2:46AM to pee last night. I know this exact time because I feverishly pressed the refresh button on my iPhone. I heard a whoosh sound that indicated I had new mail and my heart started pounding, only to see that my Barnes & Noble order has been shipped.
I woke up at 2:46AM to pee last night. I know this exact time because I feverishly pressed the refresh button on my iPhone. I heard a whoosh sound that indicated I had new mail and my heart started pounding, only to see that my Barnes & Noble order has been shipped.
Livingsocial and Groupon get me everytime
I woke up at 2:46AM to pee last night. I know this exact time because I feverishly pressed the refresh button on my iPhone. I heard a whoosh sound that indicated I had new mail and my heart started pounding, only to see that my Barnes & Noble order has been shipped.
Haha... 50 Shades of Grey?
I woke up at 2:46AM to pee last night. I know this exact time because I feverishly pressed the refresh button on my iPhone. I heard a whoosh sound that indicated I had new mail and my heart started pounding, only to see that my Barnes & Noble order has been shipped.
Exactly why I have everything now shipped towards my junk mail, I just check my junk mail for such emails.

I woke up at 2:46AM to pee last night. I know this exact time because I feverishly pressed the refresh button on my iPhone. I heard a whoosh sound that indicated I had new mail and my heart started pounding, only to see that my Barnes & Noble order has been shipped.
very dramatic, not sure if I dig the ending though 😀
I don't think you will be hearing any news today (maybe this weekend but...). I think the next round will be sometime next week (although I could be completely wrong)!
I do think that some rejections are on their way soon though.
Good luck!
Ooo thanks for the info!
I wonder if rejections will be from 7/13 group or from the batch they sent out interviews for
Good luck everyone.
I woke up at 2:46AM to pee last night. I know this exact time because I feverishly pressed the refresh button on my iPhone. I heard a whoosh sound that indicated I had new mail and my heart started pounding, only to see that my Barnes & Noble order has been shipped.
I'm on the west coast, so mine come in at 11:30ish from Mayo, but last night I had just finished an episode of Dexter at like 11:20 or something, close my laptop and got in bed. A few minutes later I heard the email sound on my iPhone and I got all excited. I clicked the home button, only to see I had an email from Linked In 😳
I had just finished an episode of Dexter at like 11:20 or something
Best show ever! I'm re-watching season 6. Is anyone else obsessed with The Walking Dead by chance?
Best show ever! I'm re-watching season 6. Is anyone else obsessed with The Walking Dead by chance?
walking dead yesssss!!! so jacked for next season!!!
Ooo thanks for the info!
I wonder if rejections will be from 7/13 group or from the batch they sent out interviews for
Good luck everyone.
guess it's better to get rejected than left hanginguess it's better to get rejected than left hangin
Is this pre-LOR or post?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best show ever! I'm re-watching season 6. Is anyone else obsessed with The Walking Dead by chance?
I loved first season, but last season sucked IMO. We'll see how this season goes.
Is this pre-LOR or post?
not rejected just yet, but i'm post... no interview... so waiting for the rej email i guess!
not rejected just yet, but i'm post... no interview... so waiting for the rej email i guess!
What was your complete date?
not rejected just yet, but i'm post... no interview... so waiting for the rej email i guess!
If you were complete 7/13 I wouldent lose hope. It seems noone got IIs from that group.
If you were complete 7/13 I wouldent lose hope. It seems noone got IIs from that group.
That's what I wanted to hear.
Ty sir
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K