2012-2013 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I decided to withdraw from here next Monday since I got accepted to my state school. At least they won't have to mull over my application and can look at other applicants. Good luck everyone still waiting!

EDIT: I decided today to ride them out for the cycle. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment. Technically, I won't lose anything waiting. Just thought I would share.
 
Last edited:
Did anyone interview today/ does anyone know if they did interviews today?
I did. I'll write a description of the day and post later. Trying to wind down for work tomorrow at 6am. I have many good things to say and wish everyone the best of luck.

Don't look at my MDApps for a timeline; I haven't been able to make changes for weeks and have Meharry incorrectly listed. Stats and ECs are all okay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone accepted!

I've been waiting for MDApps to get fixed to write my review. Hope no one's holding their breath...

I completely understand what you mean! I haven't updated the written part of my MDapps in a while, but I utilize it to keep track of my applications. It sounds ridiculous, but updating my MDapps when I get news has become a ritual. haha
 
The deposit is $300 😱 $200 is refundable.

What a sleazy move by this school. It's almost as ridiculous as DO schools that have a $1000-$2000 non-refundable deductible. They need to accept that they are last-choice schools and stop trying to get even more money from desperate applicants. 👎
 
What a sleazy move by this school. It's almost as ridiculous as DO schools that have a $1000-$2000 non-refundable deductible. They need to accept that they are last-choice schools and stop trying to get even more money from desperate applicants. 👎
Ouch. I'm willing to bet that many of those applying to this school consider it their first-choice, including some right here in this forum. Yes, that's a bit of an uncouth move considering the AAMC recommends a refundable deposit; but it's not nearly as bad as the DO schools, like you said. Each school has its ups and downs. I wouldn't call it sleazy, though.
Good luck!
 
I recently received an ii for January 14th (My first one 😀). Can anyone that has interviewed at the school be willing to write a quick synopsis of your experience? Thanks.
 
I recently received an ii for January 14th (My first one 😀). Can anyone that has interviewed at the school be willing to write a quick synopsis of your experience? Thanks.
Congrats! As I said above, I intend to write one but am waiting for the SDN IT folks to fix MDApps so I can do everything at once. Don't worry, I took notes on interview day; so I won't forget anything. Good luck at your interview and stay tuned.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! As I said above, I intend to write one but am waiting for the SDN IT folks to fix MDApps so I can do everything at once. Don't worry, I took notes on interview day; so I won't forget anything. Good luck at your interview and stay tuned.


thanks! looking forward to it.
 
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew how the curriculum is set up the first two years and their match list? Thanks.
 
Has anyone called meharry to ask about the schedule they use to send out acceptance emails? On the website under FAQ, it asks, "when will I be notified of acceptance" and it says to call or email the admissions office to find out. Has anyone done this, if so what information did they provide you? Thanks!!!!!
 
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew how the curriculum is set up the first two years and their match list? Thanks.
Meharry starts early (~6/20/13) with a program to ease everyone into med school by starting with lower limb gross anatomy, biochem, and principles of being a physician. You must pass the finals to proceed, but the few that fail (if any) are remediated, not kicked out. Meharry prides itself on seeing each student through. They'll withdraw you from a course if you're not doing well rather than failing you so you can retake it. They offer a 5 year plan for struggling students.

You can email student affairs for a match list.
Has anyone called meharry to ask about the schedule they use to send out acceptance emails? On the website under FAQ, it asks, "when will I be notified of acceptance" and it says to call or email the admissions office to find out. Has anyone done this, if so what information did they provide you? Thanks!!!!!

They usually send you a decision within 2 weeks of your interview. Last week was an aberrancy due to Thanksgiving, as they usually meet on the Wednesday after your interview.

Good luck everyone. (I swear, as soon as MDApps is fixed, I will write that synopsis! C'mon IT folks!)
 
Thanks! You're awesome! @Guero
23671193.jpg
 
Meharry starts early (~6/20/13) with a program to ease everyone into med school by starting with lower limb gross anatomy, biochem, and principles of being a physician. You must pass the finals to proceed, but the few that fail (if any) are remediated, not kicked out. Meharry prides itself on seeing each student through. They'll withdraw you from a course if you're not doing well rather than failing you so you can retake it. They offer a 5 year plan for struggling students.

You can email student affairs for a match list.


They usually send you a decision within 2 weeks of your interview. Last week was an aberrancy due to Thanksgiving, as they usually meet on the Wednesday after your interview.

Good luck everyone. (I swear, as soon as MDApps is fixed, I will write that synopsis! C'mon IT folks!)

So do you think they will be delayed in getting the decisions out? Did they say anything about that on Monday?
 
So do you think they will be delayed in getting the decisions out? Did they say anything about that on Monday?
Yes, they specifically said it'll take three weeks for those that interviewed last Monday. I don't know that it will affect any other group, though. Are you still waiting?
 
Yes, they specifically said it'll take three weeks for those that interviewed last Monday. I don't know that it will affect any other group, though. Are you still waiting?

Yea I'm still waiting. 11/12 was my interview day, hopefully the remaining waiting period goes fast. Thanks for the response!
 
Ouch. I'm willing to bet that many of those applying to this school consider it their first-choice, including some right here in this forum. Yes, that's a bit of an uncouth move considering the AAMC recommends a refundable deposit; but it's not nearly as bad as the DO schools, like you said. Each school has its ups and downs. I wouldn't call it sleazy, though.
Good luck!

You're right bro. That comment was directed more towards the DO schools that charge such a high deductible. But nonetheless, with all these schools charging $34 to apply, an additional $100 for a secondary, and on top of that some either rejecting you immediately or giving you the silent treatment, they still find more ways to keep that extra money!

/endrant

Anyways, good luck to you brother 👍
 
for those who are OOS and interviewed...is there a host student program? if not which hotel did you guys stayed at?....I'm trying to decide where to stay
 
Accepted! Got the email on the 19th.Interviewed 11/5
Congrats!
for those who are OOS and interviewed...is there a host student program? if not which hotel did you guys stayed at?....I'm trying to decide where to stay
I'd recommend contacting Mr. Cane ([email protected]) and asking. I've not heard of a program, but am willing to bet someone would be willing to open their home to you. It's a close knit community. Otherwise, I'd recommend staying at one of the hotels on White Bridge Rd at the intersection of Charlotte Pike. They should be pretty cheap. And they're very close. You just drive down Charlotte Pike to DB Todd Blvd, and BAM! you're there. I live in that area myself and got to the interview in 5 minutes. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected from here today pre-interview. You can check the complete date and other info on my mdapps. This medical school application process is soooooo weird. I was invited to MHS program though, so at least they thought about me, lol. Good luck everyone!

Edit: Decided to un-link my mdapps after the big issue with another SDNer on here to keep some anonymity.
 
Last edited:
Dr. Dazzle. I cannot respond to your PM because it says your inbox is full. =/

Congrats to all those accepted thus far. Welcome to the family!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.