2012-2013 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, everyone 🙁 Thankfully it looks like a lot of you have had better luck elsewhere, keep your heads up and good luck in the rest of your cycle
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ah i knew it was a good idea to log on.. just came home to my rejection email... i agree that it is one of the kindest ones in circulation...very disappointed since it was one of my fav programs buuut life goes on...chin up guys!
 
soo...if i was complete late september and didn't get the axe yet, should I be hopeful? anyone else not hear anything yet?
 
Does anyone know what actually happens with the deferred applications? Can you be accepted directly in March, or is it only waitlist/rejection?
 
Does anyone know what actually happens with the deferred applications? Can you be accepted directly in March, or is it only waitlist/rejection?

you can be accepted! There were at least one or two current Feinberg students who posted that they were accepted after being deferred in this thread.
 
Did any of interviewees from the week of 12/10 hear back?
Should I wait until i get a decision or send LOI right now? love NU!
 
Did any of interviewees from the week of 12/10 hear back?
Should I wait until i get a decision or send LOI right now? love NU!

Nope. I REALLLY thought we would hear back this week 🙁 I also thought that we would hear back the previous 2 weeks lol.

Oh we'll, I guess next week.

*fingers crossed*
 
Thought I'd survived this latest round of rejections... but I did not. Complete early October, rejected 1/21. Good luck to everyone still hanging in there!
 
Has anyone who interviewed the week of 11/26 heard back? They said 4-6 weeks and it has now been 8...

If you're waiting over Christmas break, add 3 weeks (or subtract from the total as a handicap). I think they usually meet later in the week (Thursdayish) ... so probably hear later this week or next?. Then again, I think it took about 8 weeks to hear back for me and that was without a break.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has Feinberg given any post-interview rejections yet?

I believe the only post-interview rejections are given in March, and this is a rather small pool of applicants.

Anyone know what the chances are like for deferred?

I believe it is still quite high. NU, as with all of the top schools, has a pretty high turnover rate. This is due to many people accepted here will have multiple acceptances. I heard a number like < 50% are accepted initially, > 50% will be taken in March or off the waitlist.. But I'm not sure on this.

Both of these responses will need to be confirmed, as I'm going completely from what I recall hearing.
 
I believe the only post-interview rejections are given in March, and this is a rather small pool of applicants.



I believe it is still quite high. NU, as with all of the top schools, has a pretty high turnover rate. This is due to many people accepted here will have multiple acceptances. I heard a number like < 50% are accepted initially, > 50% will be taken in March or off the waitlist.. But I'm not sure on this.

Both of these responses will need to be confirmed, as I'm going completely from what I recall hearing.

The mantra I heard and have been sticking to is 25/25/25/25 acceptance/post-deferral acceptance/waitlist/rejection. I'm sure that's not exactly right, but looking through last year's thread there seem to be relatively equal groups in each. I think that's pretty consistent with your numbers once you group waitlist acceptances with March acceptances.

This wait until March is killing me. I feel so helpless. 🙁
 
I
I believe it is still quite high. NU, as with all of the top schools, has a pretty high turnover rate. This is due to many people accepted here will have multiple acceptances. I heard a number like < 50% are accepted initially, > 50% will be taken in March or off the waitlist.. But I'm not sure on this.

Both of these responses will need to be confirmed, as I'm going completely from what I recall hearing.

I remember Dean Wallace saying something along these lines too, in which the total number of post-interview rejections will definitely be a smaller number than the total acceptances and waitlists from the deferred pool.

He gave us a lot of optimism. 🙂
 
I sure hope that those are right! Those are pretty good odds, if true. I know NU is very selective in their interview invite selection process so everyone has a pretty good shot post-interview. Somewhere even as high as 60ish% acceptance rate! Someone can check USNews to confirm that. I know it's at least above 50%.

If it is 60% and the upper numbers are true:
25% accepted initially, 25% are accepted in March, then about half of the waitlisted students will get offers as well.

Now that, my friends, is optimism 🙂 Much better than those schools that interview 1,000+ applicants for 200 acceptances...
 
Hey everyone!!
Question on behalf of my shy friend! She's interviewing at Feinberg/Northwestern soon and is wondering a) how long a taxi generally takes from the medical school to Chicago O'Hare airport and b) if she could make a 5pm flight if the interview day ends at 3!
Best of luck to all of you who will hear back in March! 🙂 🙂
 
Hey everyone!!
Question on behalf of my shy friend! She's interviewing at Feinberg/Northwestern soon and is wondering a) how long a taxi generally takes from the medical school to Chicago O'Hare airport and b) if she could make a 5pm flight if the interview day ends at 3!
Best of luck to all of you who will hear back in March! 🙂 🙂

She should definitely leave more time than that. I would guess at that time (and coming from downtown) the taxi will take around an hour, if not more.
 
Hey everyone!!
Question on behalf of my shy friend! She's interviewing at Feinberg/Northwestern soon and is wondering a) how long a taxi generally takes from the medical school to Chicago O'Hare airport and b) if she could make a 5pm flight if the interview day ends at 3!
Best of luck to all of you who will hear back in March! 🙂 🙂

I took a taxi both ways, in terms of arrival, it really depends on your time of day. I arrived during rush hour, which my driver kindly informed me runs from 3-9 in Chicago. It was also raining and extremely windy. I was on the road for 2 hours. 😡

After interview day, it took just slightly less than an hour, but I wouldn't risk it.
 
I would recommend taking the subway (red line?).... it took about 1 hour 15 minutes for me.
 
Are they giving out any more acceptances before march?

Hey everyone!!
Question on behalf of my shy friend! She's interviewing at Feinberg/Northwestern soon and is wondering a) how long a taxi generally takes from the medical school to Chicago O'Hare airport and b) if she could make a 5pm flight if the interview day ends at 3!
Best of luck to all of you who will hear back in March! 🙂 🙂

At that time of day, the train will be faster than a taxi and probably save you like 50 bucks. Should take a little over an hour. Also, there is no harm in leaving the interview early. The last 30 minutes really aren't necessary - just talk about financial aid and dual degrees, really similar to other schools. And before that is just the tour. Anyways, good luck!
 
People seem to have the travel thing covered pretty well. I'll +1 the fact that a 5pm flight is really pushing it... rush hour along 90 is brutal if she's taking a cab, and getting through security at O'Hare can be unpredictable. It's possible, but I wouldn't want that extra stress on my interview day.

Are they giving out any more acceptances before march?

There will be at least another batch or two. Everyone who's interviewed at this point will (probably) hear back before March; everyone from here on probably wont. This is just a guess based on last year's trends, so take that as it is.
 
At that time of day, the train will be faster than a taxi and probably save you like 50 bucks. Should take a little over an hour. Also, there is no harm in leaving the interview early. The last 30 minutes really aren't necessary - just talk about financial aid and dual degrees, really similar to other schools. And before that is just the tour. Anyways, good luck!

Thank you to all of you who responded!!! She's so grateful to have so many supportive/helpful people on SDN...I'll convince her to make an account 😀 I think she's going to probably leave at 2:30 then and take public transportation (train/subway) to O'Hare if she has to make the 5pm flight...or maybe she'll just stay in Chicago another day 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.