2012-2013 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personal Characteristics
Given the distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution. (300 words)

Stress Management
Describe the coping skills (not problem solving skills) you use when confronted with difficult situations. (300 words)

Nontraditional Students
If you will have completed your education more than one academic year prior to matriculation in medical school, please describe your activities during that time. (300 words)

Post Professional Plans
Describe the type of post-graduate training career that you envision. Be as specific as possible. (300 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any Northwestern students with insights on the school?

burntflower, you seem to be applying to almost every single school that i am! :p good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending Feinberg this fall!!!!! It's a great school located in a great city :) I submitted my primary in August I think, went to interview in late October, originally got "deferred till March," but then was accepted in March! If anyone has any questions about the application process at Feinberg, I can try to help the best I can :)

Feinberg is starting a new curriculum with us this fall, and so much seems to be still up in the air. Our academic calendar still don't have many dates as far as when semesters will start/end. I guess we'll be the guinea pigs! Some key changes I remember are:
(1) they are combining the normal and abnormal physiology so we can learn them simultaneously, not divided between year1 and year2. This is to hopefully increase efficiency in learning.
(2) better connection between classroom and clinical learning - I think we will be able to see some cases we're learning in the classroom in the clinic as well, so we can tie things better.

Prior to this, what I liked about Feinberg was that we only had 2hr/day lecture time, but not sure how that will change with this new curriculum. I guess more info to come once the semester starts in August!

I'm really excited!! :D

Hey guys,

I'm not applying this cycle but I will be one year from now! So I'm just posting in here to follow along with the process to help me get an idea of what to expect :)

Best of luck to those applying,
Big N Tasty

I will be attending Feinberg this fall!!!!! It's a great school located in a great city :) I submitted my primary in August I think, went to interview in late October, originally got "deferred till March," but then was accepted in March! If anyone has any questions about the application process at Feinberg, I can try to help the best I can :)

Feinberg is starting a new curriculum with us this fall, and so much seems to be still up in the air. Our academic calendar still don't have many dates as far as when semesters will start/end. I guess we'll be the guinea pigs! Some key changes I remember are:
(1) they are combining the normal and abnormal physiology so we can learn them simultaneously, not divided between year1 and year2. This is to hopefully increase efficiency in learning.
(2) better connection between classroom and clinical learning - I think we will be able to see some cases we're learning in the classroom in the clinic as well, so we can tie things better.

Prior to this, what I liked about Feinberg was that we only had 2hr/day lecture time, but not sure how that will change with this new curriculum. I guess more info to come once the semester starts in August!

I'm really excited!! :D

Is the panel interview intimidating at all?

AMCAS primary submitted on 6/6. Hoping for the best! Good luck everyone applying! :xf:

Is the panel interview intimidating at all?

The panel interview is not stressful at ALL! Think of your fellow interviewees as your friends / teammates. That's the point of it. You answer questions individually, but no one is trying to one-up anyone else, or compete. The last component of the panel interview is solving a problem together (while the interviewers watch) and then presenting your solution to them.

Not like a math problem! Like "you have a million dollars to design an after-school program to get underrepresented youths interested in careers in medicine. How do you spend the money?"

I agree the panel interview isn't as scary as it sounded -- and the other two interviewees I was with were so nice! Both of them were on the soft-spoken side (as was I), so I think I got lucky -- none of us were super talkers. Also, it was definitely not meant to be "competitive"... there are three interviewers who take turns asking each interviewee different questions.

Interviewer #1: So, luckyducky, what color is your favorite? [answer] Awesome. Capn jazz, what's your favorite food to cook? [answer] Great. Goosewing - Do you use facebook?

For my interview, there were maybe 2 questions where the interviewer asked the same question to two people "luckyducky, what would you do if you caught your friend shoplifting? [my answer] now, capn jazz, would you have done the same thing? do you agree with her?"

Given that many of the questions were individually asked to me (like any one-to-one interview), it was actually calming to have other interviewers with me because I felt like I had a small support group :)

The final "question" which was the group activity was kinda tough for us, I think especially because we were all on the soft-spoken side (so I guess this is very group-dependent). In fact, I had to try to sound not bossy because the other two people in my group were pretty quiet. But we worked it out somehow :) Interesting prompts!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have a chance to chat with your group members (and well, everyone interviewing that day) before the interview... So it will feel like you are all going into this interview together, which I think eases people a bit!

Hey y'all, since it looks like the secondaries are out now, good luck to everyone!

The secondary will probably take longer than those of most schools, but here are some things that might be helpful to keep in mind when answering some of those questions.

Feinberg asks a lot about your "outside interests" and how you "deal with stress," etc, probably b/c of the way the curriculum is structured and because of its location. For example, we have pretty short class time as compared to the other schools, and because we're in downtown chicago and right along the beach, they wanna make sure that you do things outside of just study. For example, they really pride themselves on all the Feinberg interest student groups, etc during your interview and during second look. So if you have a hobby like dancing, running, playing an instrument, or something, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk about it. Also, with the personality and how it fits with the curriculum question, keep in mind that there's a lot of PBL, so they wanna make sure that you're good at working in groups. So if you've done tutoring or been a leader in a group in college, I'd mention that for sure. Finally, with the whole "envision your medical career" question, it's nice to know that NU has its MD/MPH and MD/MA programs that they're really trying to push (we've been getting emails about it all summer). They LOVE students who've either been abroad prior to matriculation or worked with underserved (basically ppl with cultures/lifestyles different than yours). Plus, we're in Chicago and have a bunch of free clinics associated with NU. I would definitely talk about those things if you're passionate about it, and even consider the MD/MPH path (since it's only 4 years long).

I hope all this helps!

As an admitted student for August 2012, I just wanted to say that this post from last application cycle helped me out a lot when completing the secondary. It helped me to focus on key areas in my experiences that demonstrate why I would be a good fit at FSM.

FSM blew me away in terms of interview experience. I fell in love with this medical school immediately (of course, it helps that it is located in an awesome city...)! You are going to hear a lot throughout the application cycle about "fit" and what would be a good "fit" for you and who is a good fit for a particular school.

My general advice is to apply broadly, because you never know where that perfect fit will be. And as much as you read about curriculum, student life, etc online, you won't absolutely know until you visit the campus, talk directly with students and faculty, and ask the questions that matter most to you in terms of your medical education and goals. Come up with those questions early on, and don't be afraid to ask during the interview. We are all different and have different educational/lifestyle needs, goals, and other miscellaneous things to consider, and interviewers understand that.

In terms of the panel interview - I loved it. I was extremely nervous going into it, but when I realized that the interviewers were not making it a high-stress situation, I began to relax and just listen to what the other two interviewees were saying about themselves. It was very conversational, and our answers played of each others'. Our team question was probably the coolest: You are the producers of a reality TV show consisting of premedical students - design it, create a title, what will the prize be, how will you eliminate contestants, etc. It was completely unexpected, but actually fun to create our "America's Next Top Doctor" concept :)

Does anyone know when NW sends out their secondaries?

Just FYI: They abbreviate it NU. :) (went to undergrad here)

Thanks, that's actually good to know because I've been abbreviating things (like school names, etc.) on my secondaries so far to conserve characters and stay under the limit.

I had a friend interview here and she said their group had to make a presentation on what they thought were the most significant medical milestones.

Last edited:
I had a friend interview here and she said their group had to make a presentation on the what they thought were the most significant medical milestones.

That doesn't sound fun.

Any clue when this secondary was released last year?

:zip:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNHjgd2k8l8[/YOUTUBE]

nu alum here and applying this cycle. curious to know where you all would rank the illinois schools since financially i am forced to stay in the state. i love feinberg!!!

They're taking so looooong.... haha.

I'm gonna take a betting pool, who gets me a secondary first?

Choices:
(1) Vanderbilt
(2) Northwestern
(3) University of Minnesota - TC
(4) University of Vermont

Let the Secondary Games begin!

Choices:
(1) Vanderbilt
(2) Northwestern

Hell..i'm still waiting on UCLA, Mount Sinai, and Tufts. I'm gonna have a hernia if i get them all on the same day.

Choices:
(1) Vanderbilt
(2) Northwestern

i'm gonna go TC then NU on this one. but i'm waiting on TC, NU, and ND so maybe i'm somewhat biased.:rolleyes:

i'm gonna go TC then NU on this one. but i'm waiting on TC, NU, and ND so maybe i'm somewhat biased.:rolleyes:

ND is nonrolling so do that in November
;)
I forgot to add
(5) Mayo rejection email

I know an entering MS1 and apparently they are having major problems getting their new curriculum together, but orientation starts Aug 6 so hopefully we'll hear something soon :)

Anyone know if they tend to change up there secondary from year to year? One of my top choices and I'm getting kinda antsy. Might try to pre-write their secondary

~30% in state. It's a private, so not much preference, if any.

No idea about secondary, though.

Anyone know if they tend to change up there secondary from year to year? One of my top choices and I'm getting kinda antsy. Might try to pre-write their secondary

I was part of a focus group this past year with Feinberg's admissions office, and they are revamping their application. I wouldn't count on the secondaries staying the same.

Decided to apply to Northwestern because of their awesome diversity programs. Won't be verified until ~ mid August though.

Decided to apply to Northwestern because of their awesome diversity programs. Won't be verified until ~ mid August though.

Doesn't matter, they haven't sent out their secondary to anyone yet. You'll be right in line with everyone else.

I was part of a focus group this past year with Feinberg's admissions office, and they are revamping their application. I wouldn't count on the secondaries staying the same.

Gotcha, thanks! Would have been really bummed had I pre-written and they turned out to be different haha

Disappointing to hear because I did pre-write. I'm sure it will still be somewhat helpful though!

Disappointing to hear because I did pre-write. I'm sure it will still be somewhat helpful though!

Me too! Damn, here I was thinking I would submit the application 5 mins after receiving it ..

Gotcha, thanks! Would have been really bummed had I pre-written and they turned out to be different haha

Well, don't take my word as final. The focus group mainly addressed areas of the secondary that we believed needed to be built upon (in particular, diversity). It's possible that they will simply add this on to what they had in the past. goirish22, if you have the time, it certainly can't hurt to do some pre-writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.