2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, SIUers!

Sooooo..... I started undergrad in 2002, and almost finished undergrad with a 2.29 in 2007. I was going through some dark times (illness, cancer, death in the family, etc). Having only been 1 lab away from graduating, I unfortunately accrued 140 units of terrible grades during that time, inclusive of Cs, Ds, and Fs. Anyway, I took a hiatus from school for a while.

For the past two years now, I've retaken over 100 BCMP units with straight As. I've gotten scholar awards, Dean's list, Chair of an Honor Society, etc etc. Yet, I was only able to bump my overal science GPA from 2.29 to 2.94), and still trying to bump it up a teeny bit more, but it’s so difficult having had so many units to account for.

What are my chances of getting into a US Allopathic program? Pretty please!

cGPA: 3.01 sGPA: 2.94
MCAT: 32 (retaking in August for a higher score)
Clinical volunteer: 200 hours clinical care extender at a hospital
Physician Shadowing: have been shadowing different doctors with different fields for a year and continuing to do so.
Research: Currently doing research in Physiology: working with different kinase inhibitors targeting COX-2 gene expression
Nonclinical volunteer activities: Active Alpha Delta Epsilon Honor Society, various volunteer activities twice a month (Stride for Breast Cancer Awareness, walks, time at children’s centers, convalescent centers, etc)
Employment: Bartender, Server, currently working to get CNA-certified for more experience

I'm working so hard! Please tell me there might be light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

You re-took all or most of this post-grad I'm assuming? Then you should have a pretty solid grad GPA. Your MCAT is good enough to get you interviews for sure, I don't know if I'd spend time studying for a retake as opposed to getting more volunteer hours or a possible research pub.

The question really belongs on a "What are my chances" thread unless you have a specific reason for asking people from SIU specifically.That said, there's always osteopathic or grad programs to consider if allopathic doesn't happen, but I would think you have enough going for you to make an admissions committee look twice.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package from SIU yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their financial aid package from SIU yet?

Nothing yet, I called the office to make sure all of my documents were in, and they told me that the package would be sent out in the next week or so.

Did anyone else get the deceptive snail mail today that informed you you were still waiting on the AWPA list? :(

Did anyone else get the deceptive snail mail today that informed you you were still waiting on the AWPA list? :(

Yep. I was actually worried it was bad news, though, so when I read it I was pretty relieved.

Hello, SIUers!

Sooooo..... I started undergrad in 2002, and almost finished undergrad with a 2.29 in 2007. I was going through some dark times (illness, cancer, death in the family, etc). Having only been 1 lab away from graduating, I unfortunately accrued 140 units of terrible grades during that time, inclusive of Cs, Ds, and Fs. Anyway, I took a hiatus from school for a while.

For the past two years now, I've retaken over 100 BCMP units with straight As. I've gotten scholar awards, Dean's list, Chair of an Honor Society, etc etc. Yet, I was only able to bump my overal science GPA from 2.29 to 2.94), and still trying to bump it up a teeny bit more, but it’s so difficult having had so many units to account for.

What are my chances of getting into a US Allopathic program? Pretty please!

cGPA: 3.01 sGPA: 2.94
MCAT: 32 (retaking in August for a higher score)
Clinical volunteer: 200 hours clinical care extender at a hospital
Physician Shadowing: have been shadowing different doctors with different fields for a year and continuing to do so.
Research: Currently doing research in Physiology: working with different kinase inhibitors targeting COX-2 gene expression
Nonclinical volunteer activities: Active Alpha Delta Epsilon Honor Society, various volunteer activities twice a month (Stride for Breast Cancer Awareness, walks, time at children’s centers, convalescent centers, etc)
Employment: Bartender, Server, currently working to get CNA-certified for more experience

I'm working so hard! Please tell me there might be light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks for your time!
you'd stand a shot here.

Yep. I was actually worried it was bad news, though, so when I read it I was pretty relieved.

That was my knee-jerk reaction, but I knew that there was still a ways to go and that I was AWPA, so I was tentatively hopeful, despite the small envelope size. Ah well, at least we're still in the running?

Does anyone have any info on how to apply for deferred matriculation to SIU? I was accepted a few weeks ago, but I'm finishing my first year of a postbaccalaureate fellowship with the NIH right now, and I have the option to extend it into a second year. I don't know for sure if I want to do this, because I'm very excited to start medical school, but I also really enjoy what I'm doing now and know I'll never get an opportunity to do it again. But anyway, I figure I can at least start looking into the process for deferring matriculation, if there is one, just in case that's what I decide I want to do. I can't find much on the siumed website, so any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Does anyone have any info on how to apply for deferred matriculation to SIU? I was accepted a few weeks ago, but I'm finishing my first year of a postbaccalaureate fellowship with the NIH right now, and I have the option to extend it into a second year. I don't know for sure if I want to do this, because I'm very excited to start medical school, but I also really enjoy what I'm doing now and know I'll never get an opportunity to do it again. But anyway, I figure I can at least start looking into the process for deferring matriculation, if there is one, just in case that's what I decide I want to do. I can't find much on the siumed website, so any info would be helpful. Thanks!
email the admissions person for more info.

I got my financial aid award email today, they said that the trustees haven't set the tuition and fees for the upcoming academic year. They said the award was an estimate but not expected to change. All loans. Just wanted to keep the fellow accepted SDNers updated.

I finally broke down and decided to register for SDN. I am FREAKING OUT. I interviewed in October and got AWPA status shortly thereafter, and haven't gotten in yet. Part of me wants to call and see if they still not telling applicants where they rank on the AWPA list.....I don't know. Le sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally broke down and decided to register for SDN. I am FREAKING OUT. I interviewed in October and got AWPA status shortly thereafter, and haven't gotten in yet. Part of me wants to call and see if they still not telling applicants where they rank on the AWPA list.....I don't know. Le sigh.

I am in essentially the same boat as you (interviewed in September, I think.) I sent an email to Beth asking if we could get updates on our position (first/second/third third of the list) for the AWPA people. I'll let you know what she responds with. :)

In response to an AWPA update in terms of location on the list:

Unfortunately, I am not able to tell applicants where they are on the AWPA list. We still have a long way to go and many more acceptances to offer. We typically see most movement between May 15th and June 1st.

Ah well, it was worth a shot. :)

That makes me breathe a little easier. Hee hee hoooo. lol. Thanks for the update!:D

It's nice to hear from some others who are waiting... keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

Got my financial aid estimate last week...so many loans...

Has a facebook group been made for our class yet? If so, can someone post a link?

Also, how does SIU do class rank and AOA? Thanks!

Has a facebook group been made for our class yet? If so, can someone post a link?

I haven't seen a group yet, either. Can we make one, or does admissions?

From my understanding there is no class rank. But I'll let someone who currently attends answer that one for sure.

+1

On my siumed email account it said the group has been created but I wasn't able to find it either

They usually make one. I'll ask.

No class ranks in anything ever.

So there isn't an AOA chapter through SIU? I just noticed that wasn't really answered directly on the previous posters question.

I had heard from a current M1 that there are internal class rankings, but they essentially are unknown to students and for all intents and purposes absent because they don't go in the deans letter or anything.

Hey guys,

So I have been looking for rental properties and going over some of the financial info for the upcoming year. Any previous MS1's have input on whether or not having a car while in Carbondale is a necessity? Thanks!

Hey guys,

So I have been looking for rental properties and going over some of the financial info for the upcoming year. Any previous MS1's have input on whether or not having a car while in Carbondale is a necessity? Thanks!

I live in carbondale now and have gone to SIU for undergrad a lot of my friends have managed without cars. There is a bus service that goes to places like walmart, best buy, campus, the mall and stuff. Not sure of the bus schedules intervals or anything but I have always lived outside of carbondale about 30 minutes away so I am used to having a car and wouldnt want to do the bus thing. It seems though you could do it either way. I guess a M1 would have to say if anything happens off campus for med school... shadowing or anything idk if they usually have more than 1 student and you could ride with them or something. Idk about that.

I live in carbondale now and have gone to SIU for undergrad a lot of my friends have managed without cars. There is a bus service that goes to places like walmart, best buy, campus, the mall and stuff. Not sure of the bus schedules intervals or anything but I have always lived outside of carbondale about 30 minutes away so I am used to having a car and wouldnt want to do the bus thing. It seems though you could do it either way. I guess a M1 would have to say if anything happens off campus for med school... shadowing or anything idk if they usually have more than 1 student and you could ride with them or something. Idk about that.
A couple people got by without cars. I was not one of them.

So there isn't an AOA chapter through SIU? I just noticed that wasn't really answered directly on the previous posters question.

I had heard from a current M1 that there are internal class rankings, but they essentially are unknown to students and for all intents and purposes absent because they don't go in the deans letter or anything.
We have AOA. It doesn't get selected until I think 3rd year and it is based on evaluations of the previous year, not performance per say.

There is no class rank. Not even a secret one.

As an aside, AOA is irrelevant.

We have AOA. It doesn't get selected until I think 3rd year and it is based on evaluations of the previous year, not performance per say.

There is no class rank. Not even a secret one.

As an aside, AOA is irrelevant.

Thanks for answering the question about AOA. I think saying AOA is irrelevant isn't quite true but I am just a pre-med.

I'd have to say its worth shooting for based off things like this

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

I was talking to a student at a more lecture-heavy school and he said he picked the more traditional curriculum because PBL can end up being a big time waster (people rambling on about unimportant things or giving misinformation during presentations) and you never really know what you need to study for exams. Could one of the current students (probably Caesar lol) give your thoughts about SIU and these issues? Thanks :)

Doesn't really happen. No one wants to waste time. Once you figure out the breadth and depth you need you stay there. They are also not really presentations as much as collaborations most of the time. There's a tutor present to prevent misinformation.

Can any M1's comment on whether or not a part-time job is feasible during the first year? Thanks!

I was talking to a student at a more lecture-heavy school and he said he picked the more traditional curriculum because PBL can end up being a big time waster (people rambling on about unimportant things or giving misinformation during presentations) and you never really know what you need to study for exams. Could one of the current students (probably Caesar lol) give your thoughts about SIU and these issues? Thanks :)

What Caesar said above is true.

SIU PBL is also quite different from many school's PBL. It has been studied and reevaluated for many years. It works.

You will know what material to cover by going to the 3-5 lectures per week and studying the "learning issues" generated in group. As you get better in PBL and just med school studying in general, you'll know exactly what work you need to do.

If people blab on or give misinformation it's up to you and your group members to correct them on it. That is another reason why PBL is great for medical education, because it teaches teamwork early on.

Without the time sink of lectures, there's a lot more time to study for boards using efficient study methods!

Can any M1's comment on whether or not a part-time job is feasible during the first year? Thanks!

It depends. It takes most people the first unit to get used to studying for medical school and the workload, so I would wait until after the first test to decide if you are going to have free time.

Thanks for answering the question about AOA. I think saying AOA is irrelevant isn't quite true but I am just a pre-med.

I'd have to say its worth shooting for based off things like this

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

It's not really something that you can "gun" for at SIU. Any award or recognition is an honor, and certainly will look good, but it is NOT essential. Three people may become AOA at a school but certainly more than 3 people match into competitive programs or their top choices.

It's not really something that you can "gun" for at SIU. Any award or recognition is an honor, and certainly will look good, but it is NOT essential. Three people may become AOA at a school but certainly more than 3 people match into competitive programs or their top choices.

Thank you. You are a gentleman/lady and a scholar. Appreciate the explanation.

Thanks! Also, can anyone that has already been matched for their residency or in the process give advice as to something they wish they would have known starting out as an M1? I would like to know what type of things are the most important in receiving a good match early on so I can make sure to focus on those.

Thanks! Also, can anyone that has already been matched for their residency or in the process give advice as to something they wish they would have known starting out as an M1? I would like to know what type of things are the most important in receiving a good match early on so I can make sure to focus on those.
not focusing on it until studying for step 1.

Getting a good enough score not to be screened out, then it is irrelevant.

Be a person someone wants to be around on call at 3 am after your 10th admit of the night.

Any one else still not been able to find/join the Facebook group?

Any one else still not been able to find/join the Facebook group?

Yep I got the email this morning that they changed the name to "Class of 2017 SIU SOM" and I still can't find it on Facebook.

So I'm still trying to make my final decision on which school to attend and am leaning towards coming here. But one of the things that worries me is being competitive for the more selective specialties. Could any current students comment on this?

So I'm still trying to make my final decision on which school to attend and am leaning towards coming here. But one of the things that worries me is being competitive for the more selective specialties. Could any current students comment on this?
You are as competitive as you set yourself up to be.

Do we have to get health insurance through SIU or can we use our own?

You can opt out if you have your own health insurance

It looks like I will be withdrawing my acceptance today/tomorrow best of luck to everyone on the wait list! Hope everyone does awesome in medical school. Take care.

Accepted early this morning!! Can't wait to meet everyone this fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.