2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Carbondale most are paying $400-600/month for rent. There's plenty of wiggle room in the budget as far as I can see. Lots of eating out and going out to party etc... (I say lots, but let's face it, this is medical school. Lots means when we actually have TIME to go out and eat or party, we can afford it.) As far as "extra" loan money, look at the Y1 budget and that's what you're going to get. Not a dime more. The only exception to this is if you have children and have them in day care. You can get extra loans for that. If emergencies happen and your car breaks down and you have already spent your allotment for car repairs, you can ask for money to fix it under special circumstances I'm told, but really, they are very adamant from day 1 that what you see on the Y1 budget is what you get. I'm married with 2 kids and other than the day care supplement, I get the same as all my single classmates.

Thank you so much. Greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read through past threads and realize the numerical basis of the AWPA score, but I'm wondering specifically about the factors that contribute to this score. As someone with a borderline GPA/MCAT (3.5/30), I'm curious as to how important this is relative to ECs, interview impressions, personal statement, etc.

I know the AWPA list is a "good chance" of acceptance, but I also know that some don't get in every year, and I am inclined to believe that my statistics make me more vulnerable to that outcome...

I really just want to know if I should start seriously considering back-up plans (my AWPA is the closest thing I have to an acceptance at this point). Anyone care to comment/speculate?

I loved everything about SIU during my interview, I hope I have the opportunity to matriculate! :)

I have read through past threads and realize the numerical basis of the AWPA score, but I'm wondering specifically about the factors that contribute to this score. As someone with a borderline GPA/MCAT (3.5/30), I'm curious as to how important this is relative to ECs, interview impressions, personal statement, etc.

I know the AWPA list is a "good chance" of acceptance, but I also know that some don't get in every year, and I am inclined to believe that my statistics make me more vulnerable to that outcome...

I really just want to know if I should start seriously considering back-up plans (my AWPA is the closest thing I have to an acceptance at this point). Anyone care to comment/speculate?

I loved everything about SIU during my interview, I hope I have the opportunity to matriculate! :)

Not time to panic yet. Honestly there is a lot of movement leading up to and immediately after the May 15 multi accept deadline. Your GPA isn't terribly low, and if you got an AWPA it means they want you. Be patient. Sucks to hear it over and over, but some things really are out of your control.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not time to panic yet. Honestly there is a lot of movement leading up to and immediately after the May 15 multi accept deadline. Your GPA isn't terribly low, and if you got an AWPA it means they want you. Be patient. Sucks to hear it over and over, but some things really are out of your control.
Thanks for the comforting words! You're right, I just need to chill and hope for the best :)

I thought they met yesterday 2/5/13 and are sending out awpa and also the next batch. Someone seemed to allude they send the second batch at the end of january?

Does anyone have an opinion on SIU's PBL curriculum as opposed to a more traditional one?

your numbers are fine. If you get AWPA thats the best outcome you can hope for. It's just a waiting game.

I'd still consider back-up plans because its better to prepare for that outcome than not prepare and be faced with it.

I thought they met yesterday 2/5/13 and are sending out awpa and also the next batch. Someone seemed to allude they send the second batch at the end of january?
they said that second batch would be released after the Feb 5th meeting when I interviewed as well. I don't know if things changed or what.

Care to elaborate? Thanks!
do you have specific questions?

I'm not sure how to answer without a huge ramble about things I like (which you can probably find in one of the SIU threads)

Short story: I am doing medicine to be a doctor, I get to do that here, clinically, early. I also don't like lectures.

I'm not sure how to answer without a huge ramble about things I like (which you can probably find in one of the SIU threads)

Short story: I am doing medicine to be a doctor, I get to do that here, clinically, early. I also don't like lectures.

I also hate lectures.

I enjoy PBL also because we get to sit around and talk about medicine and learn from one another. It's interactive.

In second year you can have a 4th year student tutor which is awesome. They are goldmines of advice and sage wisdom and usually fun people!

I contacted Beth and she said that the 2nd batch of acceptances were offered on Jan 18, and the third round will tentatively be in early March. I've been AWPA for a while, and I'm really hoping to get into SIU, so I feel the pain. Best of luck with the process!

Members don't see this ad :)

I also hate lectures.

I enjoy PBL also because we get to sit around and talk about medicine and learn from one another. It's interactive.

In second year you can have a 4th year student tutor which is awesome. They are goldmines of advice and sage wisdom and usually fun people!

I guess I was wondering if you feel like you get all the relevant material with these groups since you are depending on other students (as opposed to having a lecturer give you the info).

Also, are the exams in a USMLE style or more essay/some other style?

I guess I was wondering if you feel like you get all the relevant material with these groups since you are depending on other students (as opposed to having a lecturer give you the info).

Also, are the exams in a USMLE style or more essay/some other style?

You only depend on other people to a point. Each person determines the depth that they go to on a topic but ultimately we are responsible for all of the information, so you do self study on everything. The benefit of group is that there are lots of smart people to help explain things you don't quite understand. It boils down to this: can you learn on your own or do you need some prof riding your tail constantly? They ask you about self directed learning in the app for a reason. Medicine isn't like other jobs. You're going to be expected to go find out what you don't know on your own (or pay close attention to what you see once or twice and be able to duplicate it.)

The exams are mostly USMLE style questions (I can only speak for y1). They like to say they all are, but there are always some questions that don't fit the format. The written test is all multiple choice, but gross anatomy and histo are fill in the blank to identify the structure and then some question about the structure.

You only depend on other people to a point. Each person determines the depth that they go to on a topic but ultimately we are responsible for all of the information, so you do self study on everything. The benefit of group is that there are lots of smart people to help explain things you don't quite understand. It boils down to this: can you learn on your own or do you need some prof riding your tail constantly? They ask you about self directed learning in the app for a reason. Medicine isn't like other jobs. You're going to be expected to go find out what you don't know on your own (or pay close attention to what you see once or twice and be able to duplicate it.)

The exams are mostly USMLE style questions (I can only speak for y1). They like to say they all are, but there are always some questions that don't fit the format. The written test is all multiple choice, but gross anatomy and histo are fill in the blank to identify the structure and then some question about the structure.
after first year they are all NBME style and computerized.

a.w.p.a. today! hopefully that will translate to an acceptance later.

P.S. Caeser, I think i know who you are. hint: Dr. Patrick

From talking to some medical students, I've heard the first two years aren't nearly as important as pre-meds make them out to be. They said we should think more about rotations and potential electives during third and fourth years. Do any of the current medical students have an opinion on this?

Also, do you have any comments on SIU's third/fourth year (quality of rotations/autonomy/actually getting to do things)?

Thanks!

From talking to some medical students, I've heard the first two years aren't nearly as important as pre-meds make them out to be. They said we should think more about rotations and potential electives during third and fourth years. Do any of the current medical students have an opinion on this?

Also, do you have any comments on SIU's third/fourth year (quality of rotations/autonomy/actually getting to do things)?

Thanks!
Years 1-3 all matter.

1 and 2 for a stupid test.
3 for being a doctor.

I like 3 better. They love to teach here. It's the most stressed thing to faculty. It shows.

Does SIU have a second look weekend or anything like that? I haven't seen/heard about one but I was hoping there was.

Does SIU have a second look weekend or anything like that? I haven't seen/heard about one but I was hoping there was.

Not that I'm aware of. That said, if it's a look around you'd like, for Carbondale I could help you arrange something. For Springfield, Ceasar may be able to help you out.

Not that I'm aware of. That said, if it's a look around you'd like, for Carbondale I could help you arrange something. For Springfield, Ceasar may be able to help you out.
Definitely.

We don't have formal second look days or anything like that but if you want to see more I can't imagine a situation where we'd say no.

Either PM me, or get a hold of the admissions folks and tell them you'd like to come back for a visit.

As a first and second year I had one or two people come hang out with me for a day and see various things we did. It worked out well I think.

If you need help at all, let me know.

Anyone know when the last batch is going out?

I interviewed on January 23rd and Beth (coordinator) had said that we had missed the 2nd batch by a day and that the next committee meeting would be today, March 5th. So we should expect to receive notifications late this week or early next week.

Anyone know when the last batch is going out?

Long time lurker, first time poster. :cool:

I have had e-mail correspondence with Beth recently. She said that they indeed had a committee meeting yesterday (3/5/2013) as the poster above just said. :thumbup: However, their final AdCom meeting isn't until 3/26. It is after this final meeting that the last large batch of acceptances will go out. She said there's a possibility of an in-between batch, and that there is a lot of movement post May 15 - so even if you're not in the last batch, don't lose hope yet!

Best of luck! :luck:

Hey everyone just withdrew my acceptance here so hope it goes to one of you!

Is anyone who has been accepted looking for a roommate? A friend of mine in Carbondale told me that a lot of the good housing spots are beginning to fill up already

oh it is about that time...

Good housing for the undergrads isnt always the same as good housing for the Med students.

Make sure wherever you live knows that you are NOT on the Carbondale schedule. You'll need to move in earlier and stay later than the undergrads. This was an issue in years past. The Assistant Dean down in Carbondale will be sending you information at some point.

Any current students mind posting how much you are paying as an individual to say in a cheap place at SIU... per person with utilities and everything. Say with 1-2 roomates?

If anyone could post that for springfield and carbondale that would be helpful. Thanks.

Catgofire, I did some creeping on your past posts... where in the QC did you go to school?

I am currently AWPA and would not mind rooming with someone from the area (I live in Moline) assuming I get in.

I could end up reapplying so don't wait up, but PM me if you want...

For current students, particularly married students (and especially if you have children), how does the PBL schedule affect the amount of time you have for them? Is it better or worse than say a school that does heavy lectures? Is there any advice you could please share, especially for making your family feel prioritized and loved, and not neglected and drained?

One of my classmates is married with children (R). Also I think one of the first or second years is too and I think they post on here from time to time. I'll ask my classmate and report back.

For current students, particularly married students (and especially if you have children), how does the PBL schedule affect the amount of time you have for them? Is it better or worse than say a school that does heavy lectures? Is there any advice you could please share, especially for making your family feel prioritized and loved, and not neglected and drained?

Married with 2 kids, age 6 and 4. First off, I live in Carbondale while they stayed in Peoria. I will commute to springfield from there after Y1 is over. Honestly, the lectures aren't going to be your major time drain; that would be your self study and prep time. You will be spending 3-7 hours a day doing scheduled activities most days, but the typical student spends at least another 4-6 studying in Y1.

Tips and tricks:

Speak to your spouse and actually speak to them. It's going to be hard. Conversation is typically something like: (Spouse) "what did you do today?" (Student) "I studied..."

I take at least 1 weekend of every 3 and study my butt off during the week so I can spend the weekend with my family study free. I take one of the kids out to breakfast (alternating), just me and them, so I can talk to them and see how their lives are going.

The main thing is that when you take time to be with your family, actually be with them, not with your mind on school. This takes preparation.

This is going to be a draining, emotional experience on all of you, but more so for you because of the myriad pressures you will be under. Be strong and organized. Get plenty of sleep. When in doubt, study. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.

Will any MS1s be in Carbondale this weekend? I know it is short notice, but I plan to make a trip down there to check out the med school part of campus. PM me if you would be willing to meet up with me. Thanks!

I'm not sure if any of the other MS1's from my class are monitoring this thread. However, you're in luck. I will be in town this weekend. I PM'd you with my contact info.

I e-mailed Beth to update some contact info and she was nice enough to give me some future dates to put on my calendar, so I thought I would share them with you all.
June 14th-Summer Orientation
August 15th/16th- Orientation and whiter coat ceremony
August 19th- First day of School

She also said the Carbondale office will be contacting those who are accepted soon (like in April) worth more information.

Has the third batch been sent out?

As far as I know, the third batch has not yet been sent out. The AdCom met on Tuesday. Of course, I'm just going off of people posting their acceptances on here, so it's not the most reliable source. :shrug:

The first two batches went out on Fridays, perhaps the third will be on a Friday as well?? At least that's what I'm hoping!

I was thinking the same thing. I called last week and they said the batch would be out before the end of the month, so I'm thinking tomorrow will be the day!

I got an acceptance today (10-ish this morning), so I think the third batch has gone out.

I was also offered acceptance today. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I was also offered acceptance today. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congratulations :)

Looks like it's time to send in those contingency SMP apps... and I thought I was done with personal statements >.<

Congratulations :)

Looks like it's time to send in those contingency SMP apps... and I thought I was done with personal statements >.<

Don't give up hope just yet, there is a lot of movement after the multiple acceptance deadline. Is this your first time applying?

Don't give up hope just yet, there is a lot of movement after the multiple acceptance deadline. Is this your first time applying?
That it is. I am confident in my app and I think my interview went really well, but I'm relatively young so I don't have an issue with spending a year doing a SMP or two doing a research MS if that's how it plays out.

So there is a lot of movement after May 15? Past threads have discussed this but I got the impression that all the spots are filled with committed students on that date. Alternatively I can see it taking SIU some time to sign off on admitting new candidates from the list so it wouldn't surprise me if acceptances kept going out later that week.

That it is. I am confident in my app and I think my interview went really well, but I'm relatively young so I don't have an issue with spending a year doing a SMP or two doing a research MS if that's how it plays out.

So there is a lot of movement after May 15? Past threads have discussed this but I got the impression that all the spots are filled with committed students on that date. Alternatively I can see it taking SIU some time to sign off on admitting new candidates from the list so it wouldn't surprise me if acceptances kept going out later that week.

Every year there are spots filled almost up to the day of classes starting. For example, if my wife hadn't secured a job 1 week prior to classes starting, I would have had to defer for a year and my spot would have gone to the highest ranked AWPA. You've got a good attitude though. Realizing you're young and have time is the right way to look at it. I'm 32 and an MS1! We have quite a few folks in my class who applied teice before being accepted, so if it doesn't happen, don't give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.