2012-2013 Temple University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got accepted to Temple Med!!! interviewed 02/5!!Does anyone know till when the deposit has to be in?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got accepted to Temple Med!!! interviewed 02/5!!Does anyone know till when the deposit has to be in?
Congrats. I interviewed the same day as you. Do you mind if I ask your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, did your status online change, or did you only receive a letter? Or email? I really loved this school, but I'm located in the midwest and didn't receive a letter today, so I'm sort of expecting the worst now.

I just sent them an email asking about my status. Interviewed 12/06...

Also, did your status online change, or did you only receive a letter? Or email? I really loved this school, but I'm located in the midwest and didn't receive a letter today, so I'm sort of expecting the worst now.

I actually found out by checking my email. I wasn't expecting a status change for a while. But now when i check my status it just says "accepted" so i dont know whether I ever had the "Correspondence Sent" status.

Super-excited to join the fb group for class of 2017!! :D

Also for people who have been accepted, How do you guys know which campus you are accepted to for 3rd and 4th year? Does it say it anywhere online or am I going to have to wait for the mail?

Hey all,
I recently got accepted to the Danville campus, but really don't want to pay the exorbitant tuition costs to live in Danville and do rural-esque medicine for my clinical years. Anyone know what the chances / process of changing campuses are? Also if anyone has anything to say to sway my opinion about Danville, I'm all ears.

Hey guys,
In terms of the future coursework on AMCAS application, I changed out of one course into another... is that a big deal? Or should I let temple med know about that change? Will it affect my acceptance?

Hey guys,
In terms of the future coursework on AMCAS application, I changed out of one course into another... is that a big deal? Or should I let temple med know about that change? Will it affect my acceptance?

You should let Temple know. I think as long as you have all required courses, you should be fine. Good luck.

Hey all,
I recently got accepted to the Danville campus, but really don't want to pay the exorbitant tuition costs to live in Danville and do rural-esque medicine for my clinical years. Anyone know what the chances / process of changing campuses are? Also if anyone has anything to say to sway my opinion about Danville, I'm all ears.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Thrilled to be going to med school, but I was really hoping to land in Philly or Pitt my last two years.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Thrilled to be going to med school, but I was really hoping to land in Philly or Pitt my last two years.

The day I interviewed, they said that there are usually people who end up wanting to switch their campus choices after a year or two in. They said you just have to keep checking back with the admin office to make sure you're in the loop if a spot happens to open up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, just wanted to see how everyone is feeilng about the school and also get some opinions from the current students.

I interviewed yesterday and I personally feel that the school on paper/website that it promotes itself to be doesn't seem like the one I was presented to.

there are many odd things that I felt was a bit off yesterday during the interview. The first being that orientation felt like it was not very well planned. The dean didn't even give an introduction about temple (whereas other schools I was interviewed with atleast the dean or the associate dean came in and gave a talk) we had this one lady that was a sub-secretary that gave a talk and she was new so she didn't even know what she was really talking about.

on our scheduel it stated certain orientation activities that would happen, one of the important deciding factors for me personally is the financial aid and how much debt I would come out of medical school. The financial aid orientation was supposed to be at 11:30 after the 11:00 welcome orientation, that NEVER happened. the lady just breezed through it and told us to look at the financial aid worksheet that was given to us. when I asked about the debt she said she doesn't know and asked me if it was important to know about the debt...

other factors that I felt was off was during the student guide tours. Usually the students that are giving the tours aren't involved with the interview process for that day. HOWEVER, i believe one or two of the students that gave the tour later on were the student interviewers...so when they say "nothing you say here will affect your interview" before the tour began it was hard to believe.

The collaborative environment of student body felt like it was fake. I could definitely sense clichs forming or formed by looking at the student tour guides. They were so into themselves that it was hard to be included into their conversations ( most of the time they were chatting amongst themselves and making jokes amongst themselves)

The one thing that I was really interested in was the community service aspect of Temple. however upon going to the school and asking students about the community service, it seemed like they stress on community service during application/recruitment, but once you're in community service isn't all that important. this is one of those incidences where I felt like what temple says they are isn't what they say they are.

Overall I felt like we weren't treated very well or wanted during the interview and orientation. I didn't feel welcomed at all and everything was sloppy. a lot of details were missed, and overall just felt like they didn't care as much as other schools did.

I honestly really liked the environment and liked what the school presented about themselves ON THEIR WEBSITE. but in reality it felt really different that what was written on website/paper.

This is just my personal opinion please let me know if you feel otherwise.

I would also like to get opinions of current students would love to have some feed back. and students that interviewed there already.

I actually interviewed the same day you did. And I really enjoyed my day. I liked how the people at the admissions office were entirely non-pretentious and... for lack of a better word... "real".
The financial aid orientation was lacking (see: virtually non-existent), yes. And they could have been a little more prepared for us generally. But I actually really liked the people in the student body. They seemed to really like each other. It reminded me a little of the way my own group of friends and I interact. It wasn't a synthetic show put on for the candidates' benefit. Realistically speaking, I don't expect to be friends with each and every person who attends medical school with me, but I would hope to make a few good friends. It seemed that I could do that at Temple.
I also interviewed with Dr. Hosey, who was fantastic. Since Geisinger is my first choice, we had a great talk about why Geisinger is awesome. What he told me wasn't just drivel copied from the website, it was personal, incidental information based on his own experiences that really drove home the point that Geisinger isn't just great "on paper".
Perhaps you and I were looking for different things at Temple. But I really enjoyed my visit.

Hi all, just wanted to see how everyone is feeilng about the school and also get some opinions from the current students.

I interviewed yesterday and I personally feel that the school on paper/website that it promotes itself to be doesn't seem like the one I was presented to.

there are many odd things that I felt was a bit off yesterday during the interview. The first being that orientation felt like it was not very well planned. The dean didn't even give an introduction about temple (whereas other schools I was interviewed with atleast the dean or the associate dean came in and gave a talk) we had this one lady that was a sub-secretary that gave a talk and she was new so she didn't even know what she was really talking about.

on our scheduel it stated certain orientation activities that would happen, one of the important deciding factors for me personally is the financial aid and how much debt I would come out of medical school. The financial aid orientation was supposed to be at 11:30 after the 11:00 welcome orientation, that NEVER happened. the lady just breezed through it and told us to look at the financial aid worksheet that was given to us. when I asked about the debt she said she doesn't know and asked me if it was important to know about the debt...

other factors that I felt was off was during the student guide tours. Usually the students that are giving the tours aren't involved with the interview process for that day. HOWEVER, i believe one or two of the students that gave the tour later on were the student interviewers...so when they say "nothing you say here will affect your interview" before the tour began it was hard to believe.

The collaborative environment of student body felt like it was fake. I could definitely sense clichs forming or formed by looking at the student tour guides. They were so into themselves that it was hard to be included into their conversations ( most of the time they were chatting amongst themselves and making jokes amongst themselves)

The one thing that I was really interested in was the community service aspect of Temple. however upon going to the school and asking students about the community service, it seemed like they stress on community service during application/recruitment, but once you're in community service isn't all that important. this is one of those incidences where I felt like what temple says they are isn't what they say they are.

Overall I felt like we weren't treated very well or wanted during the interview and orientation. I didn't feel welcomed at all and everything was sloppy. a lot of details were missed, and overall just felt like they didn't care as much as other schools did.

I honestly really liked the environment and liked what the school presented about themselves ON THEIR WEBSITE. but in reality it felt really different that what was written on website/paper.

I would also like to get opinions of current students would love to have some feed back. and students that interviewed there already.

thanks
You are accepted else where. You should withdraw if you do not like it.

What is the turn around for the decision after the interview ? 3 weeks ?

Mine was 3 weeks.

Complete: 11/5
Interview: 2/5
Waitlisted 2/25
Status online still says Interview Complete

Super disappointed because I loved this school. I was really hoping I would get in.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people get accepted off the wait list typically? I know from last year's thread there were a few?

Mine was 3 weeks.

Waitlisted 2/25

Super disappointed because I loved this school. I was really hoping I would get in.

didn't we all. :(

Hi all, first of all congrats to those that were accepted. For those on the waitlist, its still early and Temple is a big school, Im sure something will open up in May.

I was accepted to the St. Luke's regional campus for MS2-MS4, and they are still taking only 30 students per class. That's a smaller class size than Mayo and we get an entire hospital to ourselves. methinks I stumbled upon a little gem :).

This is addressed to current St Lukes students or upperclassmen that rotated here. Besides tuition and the somewhat drab location (which I don't really mind), are there any glaring disadvantages for med students accepted into this program? Compared to being in Philly for all 4 years?

And are we still technically Temple Medical School when it comes time to apply for residency?

Thanks,

Xiv

I interviewed the third week of January and still haven't heard...am I looking at a wait list/rejection? This is my final school that I'm waiting to hear from and I feel like a decision will finally put an end to all the waiting. When should I call?

Mine was 3 weeks.

Waitlisted 2/25

Being waitlisted does not mean that they will never accept you.

Hey Xiv,
The only real downside that I can think of with regards to being in St. Luke's is not having the resources of a big city like Philadelphia. With Philly, you get a lot more action in places like the ED and such if that's what you're interested in, so that's something that you might want to consider. But you still have the first year in Philly which you can definitely take advantage of and it's only an hour and a half's drive back down to Philly once you're up at Bethlehem for whatever you may need from the city. And you can also choose to do a rotation back at Temple's Hospital in Philly too.

And yes, of course you're still part of Temple's SOM. You're just going to be at a regional campus. People who go to the clinical campuses in their 3rd and 4th year, likewise, are also still part of Temple. Don't worry.

Interviewed 1/26
WL: 2/25

:(

That stinks but at least it isnt a rejection so their is still hope! Question for you or anyone else. Is there a time period between when your status changes after it has been reviewed and your actual decision being sent to you? or do they both happen more or less simultaneously?

Thanks

I actually interviewed the same day you did. And I really enjoyed my day. I liked how the people at the admissions office were entirely non-pretentious and... for lack of a better word... "real".
The financial aid orientation was lacking (see: virtually non-existent), yes. And they could have been a little more prepared for us generally. But I actually really liked the people in the student body. They seemed to really like each other. It reminded me a little of the way my own group of friends and I interact. It wasn't a synthetic show put on for the candidates' benefit. Realistically speaking, I don't expect to be friends with each and every person who attends medical school with me, but I would hope to make a few good friends. It seemed that I could do that at Temple.
I also interviewed with Dr. Hosey, who was fantastic. Since Geisinger is my first choice, we had a great talk about why Geisinger is awesome. What he told me wasn't just drivel copied from the website, it was personal, incidental information based on his own experiences that really drove home the point that Geisinger isn't just great "on paper".
Perhaps you and I were looking for different things at Temple. But I really enjoyed my visit.

There were no one really at the admissions office to interact with. They were pretty slow and had a weird attitude towards things. I don't expect to be friends with each and every other person as well but I also wouldn't expect the whole atmosphere to be sort of high-school-ish. Interview with Dr. Hosey was great, I agree with you he is very enthusiastic. My main concern is just how the admissions office present themselves certainly isn't a great way or representation of the school.

with that being I was trying to stay objective and I went around email other students about how they feel in regards to admissions office. a lot of these students agree with me. Financial aids are sometimes or most of the times late to be given, block systems sometimes are really bad because of the individual professor that runs the block system. Admissions office are slow response on everything and very disorganized.

Everything matters to me in med school, not just the student body, or the professors. Perhaps administrative stuff doesn't matter to you but to me, if things as easy as administrative stuff cannot be handled in an organized manner how can I expect the school to handle well the students?

How have people been hearing about their interview results? Mail, email, or on tmo? Does regular mail indicate rejection or wl?

How have people been hearing about their interview results? Mail, email, or on tmo? Does regular mail indicate rejection or wl?

Correspondence sent status --> acceptance via email

Interview complete for over 5? weeks --> snail mail rejection or waitlist

there's like hundreds of us on the WL already.. getting off it is not a great probability

No one seems to get rejected post interview. If that is the case there is hundreds of people on the waitlist.

there's like hundreds of us on the WL already.. getting off it is not a great probability

The letter waitlisting us states that 1/3 of their class can come from the waitlist. That's a pretty good number. Looking at previous year's waitlist threads, there seems to be good movement as well. There are a lot of people on the waitlist of course, but I think there is a better chance here than some other schools to be honest.

The letter waitlisting us states that 1/3 of their class can come from the waitlist. That's a pretty good number. Looking at previous year's waitlist threads, there seems to be good movement as well. There are a lot of people on the waitlist of course, but I think there is a better chance here than some other schools to be honest.

Are their tiers/rankings on Temple's waitlist? by the way I would vote for RG3 for president. He is the man.

People do get rejected post interview, I definitely recall seeing a few. Keep in mind that people who get rejected most likely won't come back to the thread to say so, it's kinda embarrassing. If you feel like there's no hope in getting in from the waitlist, just withdraw :3

Can we transfer from temple mains campus to st Luke's?

I heard from my student tour guide that it's much harder to transfer out of the main campus than it is to transfer in.

Just got an email from Temple Office of Admissions after being "under review" for a loooonggg time. Thought it might be an II (or rejection), but alas, it's an ad for the podiatric school. X__X

Oh temple, that's just cruel.

Temple, you've sent me two ads for your podiatry program already. I'm flattered, but maybe it's time that you send me a decision for my MD application. :mad:

Interviewed 1/24 and got accepted 2/15... Is there a FB group for accepted students?

Ok, that's not true. It doesn't say that on the letter.

Last year, Temple interviewed 1055 and accepted 550 to fill their 210-student class, so a lot of their students are from the wait list.

Ok, that's not true. It doesn't say that on the letter.

really I could have sworn it said that. Maybe I mixed it up with another school :oops:. Regardless, the previous years' waitlist movement threads had a lot of people get into Temple from the waitlist.

"Under Review" since like, August....lol

When will they send out rejections?

Does anyone know when the committee meets? Fridays ? Temple please show me love !!

Last year, Temple interviewed 1055 and accepted 550 to fill their 210-student class, so a lot of their students are from the wait list.

It's hard to make any inferences from that information. Temple could accept 500 people outright and then only accept 50 from the waitlist. We really can't say.

It's hard to make any inferences from that information. Temple could accept 500 people outright and then only accept 50 from the waitlist. We really can't say.

I completely agree. I am sure they overaccept A LOT.. I mean they know every year they accept around 500 when it's all said and done so they can afford to be a bit generous with their outright acceptances. It is unfortunate for the waitlisters though :( I think it is a longshot to get off this waitlist.. but I saw on the thread last year, there was a good amount of movement in late May. Only time will tell.

I interviewed 1/24. Anyone from that date hear back yet? its been almost 5 weeks and I think I recall them saying it would take 4 so I am just curious

I interviewed 1/24. Anyone from that date hear back yet? its been almost 5 weeks and I think I recall them saying it would take 4 so I am just curious
Yes, I interviewed 1/24 and got a waitlist letter postmarked 2/20. So it took about 4 weeks for it to arrive to my address in Cali. I would call admissions and ask about your status.

I interviewed here 4 weeks a go and my status still say Interview Complete. I am I looking at a rejection/waitlist at this point ?

Status
Not open for further replies.