2012-2013 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we expect our 14*7 score before October 15? Or does that come after as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current M1 at UCF. I also help with tours and at the lunch with students. If you have any questions, feel free.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current M1 at UCF. I also help with tours and at the lunch with students. If you have any questions, feel free.

Does the school offer tours for premed? I'm local and would love a chance to see the COM as ucf is my definite first choice

Does the school offer tours for premed? I'm local and would love a chance to see the COM as ucf is my definite first choice

In general Admissions has no specific tour schedule due to limited personnel. We simply cannot provide every individual with a personalized tour but we do our best to accomodate college groups. At times I can add an individual to an already scheduled group tour depending upon size. As it happens I do have a tour scheduled for the coming Thursday afternoon and can add 1 or 2 if needed. You would have to contact the COM Admissions office if interested.

((You would not believe the number of tour requests that we get....evidently we are the 3rd biggest attraction in Orlando behind Disney and Universal...))

Does this school give preference to in-state? I'm considering applying here, but I'm SC resident.

In general Admissions has no specific tour schedule due to limited personnel. We simply cannot provide every individual with a personalized tour but we do our best to accomodate college groups. At times I can add an individual to an already scheduled group tour depending upon size. As it happens I do have a tour scheduled for the coming Thursday afternoon and can add 1 or 2 if needed. You would have to contact the COM Admissions office if interested.

((You would not believe the number of tour requests that we get....evidently we are the 3rd biggest attraction in Orlando behind Disney and Universal...))

Just left a message for the admissions office, hopefully it will work out. I really appreciate the chance either way, thanks.

The more I read about UCF the more I want to be there, really hoping for an acceptance.

The only thing that has given me hesitation is the relationship between UCF and Florida Hospital/Orlando Health. Several news sites are reporting some tension and I've read the public emails back and forth between Lars Houmann and school officials. It sounds like Florida Hospital is firm on not allowing a teaching hospital to be built on the Lake Nona campus.

REL, could you comment on the situation and the likelihood that this might affect students in the future. I'm worried about there being a period of time in which the teaching hospital is not fully constructed and Florida Hospital has ended the affiliation agreement.

My status disappeared today. I have been AORTA-EFI for several weeks now, but when I logged in tonight there is no status there at all. It is just a blank spot... Has this happened to anyone else?

My status disappeared today. I have been AORTA-EFI for several weeks now, but when I logged in tonight there is no status there at all. It is just a blank spot... Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes it happened to people earlier in the thread and Rel said it had something to do with resetting the system but worry not because it will return!

This is part of the system update, if I recall correctly this occurs every two hours during the work day and less often overnight and weekends. Normally this will be on ?even? hours beginning at the top of the hour for no more than 10 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
The more I read about UCF the more I want to be there, really hoping for an acceptance.

The only thing that has given me hesitation is the relationship between UCF and Florida Hospital/Orlando Health. Several news sites are reporting some tension and I've read the public emails back and forth between Lars Houmann and school officials. It sounds like Florida Hospital is firm on not allowing a teaching hospital to be built on the Lake Nona campus.

REL, could you comment on the situation and the likelihood that this might affect students in the future. I'm worried about there being a period of time in which the teaching hospital is not fully constructed and Florida Hospital has ended the affiliation agreement.

Thank you for bringing this up. Subjects like this give the media something to report, like most of the things that are reported, most reports have some sort of political spin or purpose rather than simply reporting the facts in their context. So remember that there are two multi-hospital systems in Orlando that were here long before the med school. They are rich in training capability and some have been teaching medical students from USF, UF, Nova, and FSU for many, many years. MD schools in the state (except the recent purchase of the old Cedars Hospital by UM) are all reliant on affiliation agreements with clinical training hospitals. It is not unusual to read of USF/TGH/Moffitt or UM/Jackson, etc. having serious marital problems. This gets played up in the media which is often a part of the negotiation strategy for a new agreement. It all gets worked out because they need one-another. These problems usually arise as renewal dates come about and are focused on exchange of money for use of facility, faculty, etc. Both FH and OR systems are actually very close to the COM and want a long, strong relationship -- more often than not the two systems vie for the COM's attention knowing what the long term effect of the COM and Med City will be to Orlando and national health care in general. Consider that the COM already has permission and certificate of need to build a hospital. The COM has been working closely with FH and OR to partner in this COM hospital which will be initially be small ~100 beds (in no way a threat to FH and OR, and they know that) for med students, nurses, pub hlth/allied hlth, and dental students to collaborate on the care that will occur in the COM hospital facility. The Lake Nona Med City already has a large Nemours Peds Hospital that will open in 3 weeks as well as what will be the nations 2nd largest VA in the nation (?18? months away) that also houses the VA's National Simulation Center and a 100 room live-in nursing home unit (an overall massive VA presence). The physicians in both of these hospitals will be UCF clinical faculty.

So all of this history was presented to help you understand that FH, OR, and COM will be in the media more as posturing for position as this all of this comes together. Finally LCME will make their final visit next week and they will see the reality of it all. At the next meeting of the LCME in February you will find out that there are no foundational problems in the program or with clinical affiliations. Hopefully this helps answer any questions that you may have.

Thanks REL, very thorough and it does answer my questions.

Thanks REL, very thorough and it does answer my questions.

Orlando has always wanted the "prestige" things that are the hallmarks of a major city. The COM and "medical city" surrounding it is a very large part of that, putting us on the short list of major technological cities in a state with no income tax and great weather. I live about a mile away and I can't explain to you how gorgeous the medical city is with the VA hospital, Nemours, UCF COM and Sanford-Burnham Research all on the same street, all clearly visible from the largest toll road in the area. It's going to raise the standard of care for our entire region.

I managed to tag along with a group tour and the campus is amazing, I really liked the curriculum breakdown as well.

Orlando has always wanted the "prestige" things that are the hallmarks of a major city. The COM and "medical city" surrounding it is a very large part of that, putting us on the short list of major technological cities in a state with no income tax and great weather. I live about a mile away and I can't explain to you how gorgeous the medical city is with the VA hospital, Nemours, UCF COM and Sanford-Burnham Research all on the same street, all clearly visible from the largest toll road in the area. It's going to raise the standard of care for our entire region.

I suppose this statement is true if looking at size of toll roads, but isn't the 408 much more utilized than 417. I know when driving I prefer to drive the 417 for the fact that it's an easier drive and because I enjoy driving by Lake Nona (and almost every time I look at it I say aloud "LAAAAAAKE NOOOOONA!").

Has anyone been on “file complete - ready for review” status for over two weeks. Ive been stuck there for almost two weeks and Im worried I'm never gonna get to EFI

Has anyone been on “file complete - ready for review” status for over two weeks. Ive been stuck there for almost two weeks and Im worried I'm never gonna get to EFI

My status was "file complete - ready for review" for a full two weeks, and I just received AORTA a couple of hours ago. I'm sure yours will move to AORTA soon :)

Interview invite today for Nov. 16th!!! So excited!!!

IS applicant

I know that they are setting up a "Coffee at the COM" next week where there are pre-meds who get to hang out with us and take a tour and hear us describe what it is like here. Yo can always contact REL.

So, I just noticed that while I had my head down studying for my first final, life continued. Sorry about that. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

I dont know if I can wait for Tuesday for admissions decisions. Does anyone know why UCF is making us wait all the way until the next day for decisions, as opposed to Monday? hahaha but really.....

Does anyone know if UCF has closed file or open file interviews? i checked the interview feedback and there doesnt seem to be a solid consensus

Does anyone know if UCF has closed file or open file interviews? i checked the interview feedback and there doesnt seem to be a solid consensus
Open without MCAT/GPA

I dont know if I can wait for Tuesday for admissions decisions. Does anyone know why UCF is making us wait all the way until the next day for decisions, as opposed to Monday? hahaha but really.....

You can look for some programs to release some emails tonight after midnight, but most will wait until tomorrow's business day. Not to worry it is still soooo early in the loooonnnngggg process, tho it wud be nice to get one early to take the pressure off.

Our committee meets on Tuesday afternoons and they felt that they may as well include that afternoon's group in the overall acceptance offers. With that being true I intend to call all applicants in the initial four interview dates on Wednesday to provide the committee's decision. I will be traveling on Wednesday, but making contacts as the day goes on. Good luck to all!

BOOM. Just talked to him, top third of waitlist. *Crosses fingers*

BOOM. Just talked to him, top third of waitlist. *Crosses fingers*
Lol middle of waitlist. If I understood correctly, they only accepted 15 people this round. So I think there should be some significant movement on this waitlist.

Yeah. And on the interview day, we were told that by the end of the cycle they make some pretty mean progress through the waitlist, something in the ballpark of top two thirds? Don't quote me on that, but I think I remember hearing that.

Yeah. And on the interview day, we were told that by the end of the cycle they make some pretty mean progress through the waitlist, something in the ballpark of top two thirds? Don't quote me on that, but I think I remember hearing that.
I remember it being 2/3 also

I've been EFI for about 6 weeks now. I just keep praying for an II.

My status finally changed to EFI today after 1.5 weeks of being complete. Would be nice to get an II. At least this one wouldn't break the bank since I'm from Orlando.

Accepted this morning. I am extremely happy. I am in state and only applied to three programs in state, im pretty sure I dont regret it at this point!

interview invite today! I was complete on August 4th, so for those of you waiting don't give up hope.

interview invite today! I was complete on August 4th, so for those of you waiting don't give up hope.

Congrats! Maybe you can call Rel back and tell him to give me a call too ;)

Excited about so many things with UCF (especially the fire program...), here's to hoping for an II! C'mon REL, you know you want to :)

Will be sending in my first round of Mid term updates from my masters program today. As soon as I can get access to the application. They seem to be working on it right now.

Just called Rel and it looks like I have been relegated to the bottom 1/3rd of the list. I thought the interviews went fairly well here so I dunno what is up. I'd love to go here though so fingers crossed.

Can anyone who has interviewed here already this year elaborate on the experience? Which hotel did you find was most convenient to stay at? What's the best way to prepare?

Woohoo, REL called today and offered an interview invite. I'll be going there the 30th, very excited.

Can anyone who has interviewed here already this year elaborate on the experience? Which hotel did you find was most convenient to stay at? What's the best way to prepare?

I think all of the hotels are about the same distance from the campus. For me it was easier to just stay at a hotel by orlando airport and they will call you a shuttle/taxi if you request. The interview is long but AMAZING and the interviews are very laid back. As I recall the interviewers have some prepared questions they were asked to present. Just be yourself, know your stance on issues and be sure to be consistent and you will be just fine! It is a really beautiful campus and I am sure it will get even better!!

Any accepted applicants still waiting for the official letter to arrive?

Only a few more tests left then I can finally send in a grade sheet and the end of semester update. Then I hope REL and UCF adcom crew can give me an interview so I can come on down to sunny Florida and defrost. This school is my dream school.

Status
Not open for further replies.