2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is redundant, but how long after the initial online status link do we receive the secondary link?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what's the earliest flight I should book out of Chicago if I have the PM interview? According to the website my interview is supposed to end by 4:30pm...but I'm thinking to be safe I should assume I'm done around 5pm.

How quickly can I get to the local airports from the school? I'm assuming 6pm would be cutting it too close. I'm having trouble finding cheap, late flights out of Chicago :(

There's two airports in Chicago. O'hare and Midway. Midway is significantly closer and would be accessible by public transit. O'hare is farther, and also accessible by public trans. 6PM would definitely be cutting it too close. I would shoot for 7 or 8 (unless someone can argue an earlier time).

Midway to UIC requires taking the El system. (Orange line -> Blue line (Medical District stop))
O'Hare to UIC just takes the blue line, but has several more stops.

There's two airports in Chicago. O'hare and Midway. Midway is significantly closer and would be accessible by public transit. O'hare is farther, and also accessible by public trans. 6PM would definitely be cutting it too close. I would shoot for 7 or 8 (unless someone can argue an earlier time).

Midway to UIC requires taking the El system. (Orange line -> Blue line (Medical District stop))
O'Hare to UIC just takes the blue line, but has several more stops.

sweet, thanks!!! On that note though, all the later flights to CA are so much more expensive :( looks like it might be time for me to explore the city/stay overnight at the airport and catch a super early flight back!

I was REJECTED by ambiguous status page message pre-secondary. So much for holistic view! Good luck everyone else!!

It may be because U of I takes mostly IS applicants, but I would call/email and ask.

I did call. I was told that the status meant I wasn't be considered. The nice lady told me my stats were too low, which my MCAT is low. That's ok. I expected an e-mail or letter. Didn't know I had to call to decode the message.

I was REJECTED by ambiguous status page message pre-secondary. So much for holistic view! Good luck everyone else!!

Hey, I saw your mdapps profile. How did you pick the schools you applied to? Did you use the MSAR? A Pre-Health advisor?

anyone with interviews know what they're gonna do for housing? The admissions office said they didn't officially have any sort of student hosting program...and hotels in the region look expensive :( I'm flying in the day before and have to leave the next morning because there are no cheap flights out of chicago late to CA...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I saw your mdapps profile. How did you pick the schools you applied to? Did you use the MSAR? A Pre-Health advisor?

I used the MSAR, that 2010-11 SDN Matriculants Excel file using LizzyM scores, and based it on my average MCAT score. I have reaches but other than that I tried to choose based on averages.

Wish I could get some love from my state school...!! Come on UIC!

anyone with interviews know what they're gonna do for housing? The admissions office said they didn't officially have any sort of student hosting program...and hotels in the region look expensive :( I'm flying in the day before and have to leave the next morning because there are no cheap flights out of chicago late to CA...

There are definitely some cheaper hostels, including one that is pretty much right downtown, which is cool for seeing Chicago. Then again, hostels are not, of course, as luxurious as a hotel but I feel pretty sure that they'd at least have some private rooms. Hope you find something that works for you!

I am an RA that goes to UIC. If you need a place to crash, I'd be willing to help you out for cheap. Granted, I don't have a spare mattress or anything, but do have a private bathroom with shower.

where does it notify you of your status? i clicked on the application status but it doesn't say complete or under review. am i just not looking in the right place???

where does it notify you of your status? i clicked on the application status but it doesn't say complete or under review. am i just not looking in the right place???

Are you on the status website? It is not the same place you submitted the secondary at. Check the first email you received from them. If you are on the status website, are you on the page that lists your LORS, MCAT dates etc? Then Click on the button that says "Next" centered at the bottom of the page. It will take you to page 2 where your status awaits.:luck:

My status changed from waiting on letters to applicant in process status.... It never went to "application". Is it possible that it skipped that step? I contacted the school because the status was stuck on the waiting for admissions officer to verify my letters and she verified it right away when I called. Just looking for some insight. This is my dream school :)
Has anyone else had something similar happen to them?

My status changed from waiting on letters to applicant in process status.... It never went to "application". Is it possible that it skipped that step? I contacted the school because the status was stuck on the waiting for admissions officer to verify my letters and she verified it right away when I called. Just looking for some insight. This is my dream school :)

If I understand correctly, applicant in process is better than application in process. You may have skipped a step so be happy:)

If I understand correctly, applicant in process is better than application in process. You may have skipped a step so be happy:)
That was what I interpreted from the previous threads... I was just making sure I wasn't missing something.

That was what I interpreted from the previous threads... I was just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Does the applicant in process status indicate that they are going to interview you at some point or what?

Mine has never changed from application to applicant .... WAHHHH, why?! This happened to me last year and I had to keep calling until finally it changed in January and I was promptly rejected. Was hoping for better luck this year, but nothing so far! SAD DAY :(

Does the applicant in process status indicate that they are going to interview you at some point or what?

I believe everyone that received an interview became an Applicant in Process before that. So this might be some sort of small pool. Not sure though.

Are you on the status website? It is not the same place you submitted the secondary at. Check the first email you received from them. If you are on the status website, are you on the page that lists your LORS, MCAT dates etc? Then Click on the button that says "Next" centered at the bottom of the page. It will take you to page 2 where your status awaits.:luck:

ohhhh!! thanks I figured it out! but it says my application is in process when i sent mine in 7-3 :/

I believe everyone that received an interview became an Applicant in Process before that. So this might be some sort of small pool. Not sure though.

My impression was that it meant that they are reviewing your application. As for me, still an 'application'...

Like the swallows returning to Capistrano, the pre-meds begin their yearly ritual of analyzing the UIC status page.

Interview!! At the moment, looks like no Chicago slots are open for the interview...will more slots open as time goes on, or am I going to have to go to one of the other campuses? I work in Chicago, so it would be nice to only miss one day (or less) of work for the interview...

Interview!! At the moment, looks like no Chicago slots are open for the interview...will more slots open as time goes on, or am I going to have to go to one of the other campuses? I work in Chicago, so it would be nice to only miss one day (or less) of work for the interview...

They will add more dates to the page after all the slots for all sites are taken up. For last week's invites, the initial slots they put up were gone within 24hrs and they added more dates by the next day...keep checking!

They will add more dates to the page after all the slots for all sites are taken up. For last week's invites, the initial slots they put up were gone within 24hrs and they added more dates by the next day...keep checking!

Thanks!!

Hello Friends,

Some of fellow SDNers already interviewed on 9/21. So I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with us? Just general things like ... how was their whole day, what kind of Qs they asked and stuff. Any information regarding the interview day will be really helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Hello Friends,

Some of fellow SDNers already interviewed on 9/21. So I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with us? Just general things like ... how was their whole day, what kind of Qs they asked and stuff. Any information regarding the interview day will be really helpful. Thanks in advance!!

I was there. The interviews themselves were not stressful at all, and the only one that really felt like an interview was the student one. The questions on the interview feedback page are pretty close to the real thing. Everything else that day was wonderful. We broke into groups for the tour so it was very personal, though unfortunately we couldn't get into the anatomy lab (it was supposed to be in the route, but was locked). The students there all love the school, and had nothing but good things to say. I was definitely very impressed. And the fitness center... :thumbup:

When does U of I start handing out acceptances? Oct 15th?

How long was your status stuck in awaiting letter review before you called? I submitted the secondary 2 weeks ago and my letters were in a week before that, but my letters still haven't been reviewed. I'm not sure if I should call or wait a little longer...

I was there. The interviews themselves were not stressful at all, and the only one that really felt like an interview was the student one. The questions on the interview feedback page are pretty close to the real thing. Everything else that day was wonderful. We broke into groups for the tour so it was very personal, though unfortunately we couldn't get into the anatomy lab (it was supposed to be in the route, but was locked). The students there all love the school, and had nothing but good things to say. I was definitely very impressed. And the fitness center... :thumbup:

I have my interview next week. What Interview feedback page?! Glad to hear they have a good fitness center.

Amazing what a few years and a committed administration will do to school morale. The students were practically on suicide precautions when I interviewed.

Amazing what a few years and a committed administration will do to school morale. The students were practically on suicide precautions when I interviewed.

Well there might be some self-selection in students who actually choose to be a part of interview days. But it sounded like there were a lot of curriculum changes happening that were directed by the students themselves, so maybe it was legitimate.

I have my interview next week. What Interview feedback page?! Glad to hear they have a good fitness center.

It's here on SDN. Top of the page, under "reference materials."

When does U of I start handing out acceptances? Oct 15th?

I was asking about this during my down time. The committee meets once a month. The October one is after 10/15, but there's one happening (happened?) in September for the early decision people. No one could tell me if our files would be reviewed then as well, since we are complete already.

It's here on SDN. Top of the page, under "reference materials."

Thank you! How have I not seen this before. SO much good information. I've got a week to read up.

I was asking about this during my down time. The committee meets once a month. The October one is after 10/15

So if I'm interviewing before the 15th, is there a good chance that I will find out what my status is (accepted, rejected, waitlisted) on/around the 15th?

Hello Friends,

Anyone else interview already this cycle and can share how it went?

Last edited:
Hey, so I have a question that maybe those of you familiar with the Chicago area can answer... I have an interview in Peoria in October but am most interested in visiting/possibly attending the Chicago campus. I want to make the most of the trip (I'm flying in from NY) and was wondering how feasible it would be to stay in Chicago the weekend before and possibly get a bus, train, or cheap flight to Peoria before the actual interview. Having never been to the area, though, I have no idea how easy this plan would be to carry out. Thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Shouldn't be too difficult. Peoria is < 3 hours drive time from Midway airport for reference. A flight down won't be necessary.

Driving is by far the best option. Live in Chi and from Peoria and there are no trains, flights aren't cheap, and other friends and family have had bad experiences with the buses. Jw did they assign you a location or did you choose Peoria?

Hey Reek. Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. I am sure you will be hearing a positive news from the committee. :)

I believe the only spots left were in Peoria or Rockford... I was in the midst of other interview mania when they sent out the interview invite so I wasn't quick enough to snag a Chicago interview slot, and I honestly didn't know one city from another outside of Chicago! I was afraid of a car being the best option as I really don't drive and feel that renting a car would become a hassle. Do you happen to know which bus lines your friends and family took? I don't mind a bad bus ride as long as I'm not the one driving it!

Thanks for your input btw!!

I havent heard anything at all from UIC, complete July 4th. I'm getting worried.

Hey Reek. Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. I am sure you will be hearing a positive news from the committee. :)

Thanks :) I certainly hope so, I feel like this interview went the smoothest out of the ones I've had so far.

Regarding the Peoria/Chicago thing: I make the drive all the time, since I go to school near Peoria. It's pretty easy. There's not much traffic, though there is some construction on 88. I would try to not do the drive the morning before your interview, though; it's long enough that it might be good to leave some flex time. And I certainly wouldn't recommend you try to make it there and back in the same day. But if you want to see both cities, driving is definitely a manageable way to do it. If you have enough spare cash, flying there is really easy; Peoria has the smallest airport I've ever used, and the flight from Ohare is like 30 minutes. Regarding buses: there's a large Greyhound station right downtown. It's actually very close to the UIC campus. I'd imagine that's the best bus to take to Peoria.

Thanks :) I certainly hope so, I feel like this interview went the smoothest out of the ones I've had so far.

Regarding the Peoria/Chicago thing: I make the drive all the time, since I go to school near Peoria. It's pretty easy. There's not much traffic, though there is some construction on 88. I would try to not do the drive the morning before your interview, though; it's long enough that it might be good to leave some flex time. And I certainly wouldn't recommend you try to make it there and back in the same day. But if you want to see both cities, driving is definitely a manageable way to do it. If you have enough spare cash, flying there is really easy; Peoria has the smallest airport I've ever used, and the flight from Ohare is like 30 minutes. Regarding buses: there's a large Greyhound station right downtown. It's actually very close to the UIC campus. I'd imagine that's the best bus to take to Peoria.

Why are you taking 88 to Peoria? Maybe you meant to say 80 which seemingly always has construction.

And to the OP, they took a bus out of the greyhound station down by UIC but I'm not sure which bus line. Peoria isn't a great walking town but you should be able to make it work since you will be downtown Peoria. My dad actually went to the Peoria campus for med school so you will have to let me know how it is! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.