You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Massachusetts Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Sooo its been over 2 months since my interview, should I start freaking out for Friday?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm starting to think that a few people were accepted nov 16th and insideout was the only one that posted here, hence no news this week (maybe news next friday?)... am i correct?
Sigh. I'm so nervous. I vaguely remember reading a post on one of the UMass threads saying that all the different interviewers take different amounts of time in reaching decisions, so it depends on that for each interviewee?
I find it really odd that only one person on SDN got accepted. Last year there were at least 5 or 6 people on the first day of acceptances.
i agree, this is a big turnoff for the school, makes me inclined to prefer my other interview-invited schools with clear turnaround times
lol I saw this thread got bumped and got all anxious
I'm done trying to figure out this school, I care less and less about UMass by the week
I think it's hard to really blame them. Their admissions staff is likely much smaller than those of most other schools, and I bet it's a lot tougher to send out acceptances every week like some of the other schools do. And I don't think it's bad that they are thoroughly deliberating applicants' profiles.
Give them some time...there are still a handful of other schools that have not given out a single acceptance yet. I believe I recall being told that UMass hands out two batches over the course of the cycle, so I wouldn't be surprised if the first one is in January. Be thankful that there are schools that have very concrete timelines to ease your nerves, but you shouldn't expect all schools to cater to the anxiety of all of their neurotic applicants.
Well total let down today, no news. I was really hoping that I might hear something (Interviewed mid sept) but I'm starting to believe friends that are students there. Every one of them has laughed and said don't expect a word until April, I was hoping they were just exaggerating or interviewed late.
ugh sad face 🙁
ugh sad face 🙁
Well total let down today, no news. I was really hoping that I might hear something (Interviewed mid sept) but I'm starting to believe friends that are students there. Every one of them has laughed and said don't expect a word until April, I was hoping they were just exaggerating or interviewed late.
ugh sad face 🙁
I can speak from experience. I interviewed mid September last year and got accepted in April. It is well worth the wait, however. Umass is just amazing. So much opportunity here.
I can speak from experience. I interviewed mid September last year and got accepted in April. It is well worth the wait, however. Umass is just amazing. So much opportunity here.
Thanks for the encouragement, I want this so badly!
UMass, maybe you could get some acceptances out in time for Christmas...? It's the only gift I want this year 😛
Would. Be. Best. Christmas present. Ever. 👍 !!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone hear anything? Bueller.. Bueller
I was complete about a month ago. How long should I expect to wait to hear back about an interview at this point. Has anyone recently received an invitation, and if so when did you complete your application? Also wondering if interviews have been scheduled for February and March?
I was complete about a month ago. How long should I expect to wait to hear back about an interview at this point. Has anyone recently received an invitation, and if so when did you complete your application? Also wondering if interviews have been scheduled for February and March?
It seems like there can't be expectations regarding any time frames. You may not hear from them for a while. I've spoken to them, and to a few people at the school, and to my undergrad advisors, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern or predictability.
My app was complete in August, I got an invitation about two months later, and my interview was within weeks of the invitation.
I haven't heard of anyone being accepted yet...?
The problem, if you check out last year's thread, is that sometimes they hold off with news until April or so... And also, the waitlist is very mobile.
I wish they'd let us know sooner.... I just want to plan.

Yes, the wait itself is tolerable, but the added expense is painful. If UMASS is your first choice and you are a strong candidate, you are now in limbo-land, and will continue to interview at other schools, taking time off work for travel, and spending a lot of dough on flight reservations and possibly hotels & ground trans at other schools from now until April.
Certainly at least a third of the 1000 or so candidates in this finite pool can be considered inevitable acceptances. And surely some of the potential acceptees would withdraw, which would whittle the pool into a more known entity, which is a good thing, yes?
Certainly at least a third of the 1000 or so candidates in this finite pool can be considered inevitable acceptances. And surely some of the potential acceptees would withdraw, which would whittle the pool into a more known entity, which is a good thing, yes?
Yes, the wait itself is tolerable, but the added expense is painful. If UMASS is your first choice and you are a strong candidate, you are now in limbo-land, and will continue to interview at other schools, taking time off work for travel, and spending a lot of dough on flight reservations and possibly hotels & ground trans at other schools from now until April.
Certainly at least a third of the 1000 or so candidates in this finite pool can be considered inevitable acceptances. And surely some of the potential acceptees would withdraw, which would whittle the pool into a more known entity, which is a good thing, yes?
I wonder if they respond late because so many students likely withdraw their acceptances in favor of other acceptances they may eventually receive. UMASS definitely has less applicants to choose from, so I bet these withdrawals make things a little tougher down the stretch if applicants also start withdrawing because they've been waitlisted.
I'm so curious as to whether people are getting in every Friday and not posting, or if things really are as quiet as they seem... 😕😕😕
Got in today. Interview 11/28. 🙂I'm so curious as to whether people are getting in every Friday and not posting, or if things really are as quiet as they seem... 😕😕😕
accepted today! 🙂
It was via e-mail.Congrats, you guys!
I'm with you, JFK. I'm so anxious.
How did you receive the news??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats faithzg. I also interviewed 11/28 but haven't received any good news.Got in today. Interview 11/28. 🙂
I interviewed Wednesday 12/12/12 for the MD programare wednesday interviews only for md/phd or does umass interivew twice a week on tuesday and wednesday? thanks.
Was the interview invitation sent by email or did someone call you?interview invite yesterday 😍
Was the interview invitation sent by email or did someone call you?
Not directed to me, but invitations are emailed
II today for late feb.. complete early September
Do you think there will be a lot of news this Friday since it is now January?
I really hope so... Fingers crossed! Seems like they sent out some news around this time last year. Then again, also seems like UMass is totally unpredictable.
if you get accepted does your status immediately change from a green circle (complete) to a check mark if you log into your account? thanks
Mine didn't.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guess todays not the day.. Bummer
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K



