2012-2013 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Transmitted by TMDSAS 7/5, still waiting on confirmation. Good luck guys! Anyone know anything about the probation that this school was put under? Does anyone know if it'll affect anything? Thanks!

Sent to all current students on June 26, 2012:

Dear Students:

We are emailing with good news regarding our status with the LCME. At its June 12-14 meeting the LCME voted to accept the action plan submitted in April. This affirmative vote indicated that the LCME believes we are on the right track to reverse our probationary status. The next step will be to schedule a site visit sometime within the next 12 months to determine whether we have corrected the areas of non-compliance as outlined in previous communications. The LCME will set the date for the return site visit, but we expect that it will take place in the summer of 2013.

In our April letter and remediation plan to the LCME, the key components of our response were:

1) the seven basic science departments were reorganized under the SOM; the medical dean now has full budgetary and appointment/retention/activity authority over basic science faculty and regularly meets with the basic department chairs as part of his supervisory responsibility;

2) state funds allocated to the clinical departments are being distributed with a formula that is to a large extent based on undergraduate educational RVUs. The newly appointed Vice Dean for Education now has sufficient independent funds to directly compensate faculty members for their role in curricular leadership, particularly during the pre-clinical years;

3) the leadership has infused critical new education resources, both personnel and funding; these support the central medical school mission of education, including the establishment of an Office of Undergraduate Medical Education with new facilities that opened in May 2012;

4) the Curriculum Committee’s institutional oversight for the design, management, evaluation and authority to enact change has been embraced by the SOM Dean and codified into policies and procedures. A robust curriculum management and evaluation system, One45, was purchased, with capabilities for mapping the location of all objectives and competencies within the pre-clinical and clinical curriculum. All courses and clerkships, as well as the curriculum as a whole, will be centrally evaluated and improved/modified; curricular gaps and redundancies will be readily identifiable;

5) modifications in the current pre-clinical curriculum (final year taught 2012-2013) will decrease dependence on lectures as the primary content delivery method and increase instructional opportunities for active learning and the development of lifelong learning skills;

6) the “new” curriculum with the moniker, CIRCLE (Curricular Integration: Researchers, Clinicians, Leaders, Educators), has been developed. The new pre-clinical structure (and concurrent reform of the clinical years) will integrate basic and clinical sciences vertically and horizontally, incorporate active learning principles and pedagogies, foster the development of self-directed learning skills and appraisal, and inculcate the concept of lifelong learning via continuous and centralized curricular design, management, evaluation, assessment and improvement, incorporating the use of interactive technologies.

The development of these initiatives has been an enormous effort on the part of many members of the faculty, but we particularly thank the members of the Task Force (Drs. Larry Barnes, Paula Shireman, Sean Garcia, Tom King, Brenda Talley, Dave Henzi and Bob Esterl) and two new Assistant Deans, Drs. Deborah Conway and Michael Johnson.

The coming months promise to be busy, but fruitful and rewarding, as curricular changes are introduced and evaluated. The atmosphere is charged with positive energy produced by communication and collaboration. As we have said on many occasions: ultimately, this process will lead to a better and stronger medical school.

With our warmest regards,

Francisco González-Scarano, M.D. Florence (Flossy) Eddins-Folensbee, M.D.
Dean, School of Medicine Vice Dean of Undergraduate Medical Education
Vice President for Medical Affairs Sr. Associate Dean for Students
Professor of Neurology Professor of Psychiatry

As you can probably surmise, the vast majority of the LCME's qualms were with administrative things. They also didn't like how traditional UTHSCSA was during MS1/MS2 (mostly all lectures, very little group-based learning things). That's all changed now with the new curriculum. E-textbooks, half days of lectures M-Th (more "self-directed" time), group stuff on Friday mornings, enhanced clinical experience during MS1/MS2, transition to organ-system modules, etc...

They've basically done everything the LCME wanted (and then some) so nobody is really worried. The quality of students or physicians produced was never an issue (and the LCME even stated as much in their letter announcing the probation last year).

PS

For what it's worth, I interviewed on Aug 8 last year (first interview day) and received my invite 7/18/11.

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to interview here. San Antonio is a great city. Hopefully some of us start hearing news soon. Hopefully it is any day now.

Shouldn't we be hearing back soon if interviews start the 6th!!

Lets hope some invites go out by the end of this week :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't we be hearing back soon if interviews start the 6th!!

Lets hope some invites go out by the end of this week :thumbup:

I almost hope I don't interview until this round, plane tickets will be beastly this late. Can stay with family, but still.

Woohoo, just got an interview invite by email a few minutes ago! But when I clicked on the link to schedule an interview date, I get this message:

"You have been locked out due to consecutive unsuccesseful login attempts. Please try again later."

Even though I didn't enter a login/password yet...I'm guessing they're still working on the kinks in the system?

Woohoo, just got an interview invite by email a few minutes ago! But when I clicked on the link to schedule an interview date, I get this message:

"You have been locked out due to consecutive unsuccesseful login attempts. Please try again later."

Even though I didn't enter a login/password yet...I'm guessing they're still working on the kinks in the system?

Same story with me. Out-of-state.

I am sure you will receive instructions on how to set up an account.
Don't worry. Congrats to you.

Stats for those that received interviews??

^ do you guys have interviews for 8/6/12? When did you guys get your invites? BTW congrats!

Stats for those that received interviews??

4.0cGPA/4.0 sGPA. 29S MCAT. TX resident. I literally just got the email about 15 min ago but the link to schedule an interview isn't quite working yet. I think they need to fix the login page first.

Members don't see this ad :)
UT-San Antonio has a bias against younger applicants. They prefer older applicants who are non-trads or who have taken a year off. They don't take very many kids who finished up undergrad in 3 years. That is what I have heard from some other previous texas applicants, like Paul411, etc.

UT-San Antonio has a bias against younger applicants. They prefer older applicants who are non-trads.
Dude, I wish you were right. Non trad here (36P MCAT, uGPA and sGPA 4, cGPA 3.68, in state and guess what, non invite (yet). OK, it is very early, but not being in the first batch shows that they are not necessarily non-trad friendly...

Again my congrats to interviewees to be.

UT-San Antonio has a bias against younger applicants. They prefer older applicants who are non-trads or who have taken a year off. They don't take very many kids who finished up undergrad in 3 years. That is what I have heard from some other previous texas applicants, like Paul411, etc.

I wouldn't call myself THAT much older (I'm 23) but I did take a year off before applying to med school this year. Graduated with my degree in May 2011.

Just an an invite! 3.5 cGPA, 35 MCAT, TX (san antonio!) resident. I'm actually a little in shock since my LOR hasn't been sent yet.

I am not saying they have a bias against applicants who finished college in 4 years, just applicants who finished college in 3 years and after those 3 years decided to go directly to medical school.

hahah I can just see the interviewer asking the applicant who finished college in 3 years, "So tell me about your life experiences". Just like in the movie 21 Rofl. ahahah

I'm only 21. Finishing undergrad in 3 1/2 years. But my stats are fairly good, 3.7, 36.

^ You are applying at the age of 21 like most applicants, I am talking about the kids who applied with at the age of 20 (finished undergrad in 3 years and then decided to go directly to medical school).

Should we be worried if we never got a confirmation that they received our app? Mine was transmitted early last week of June and never got an email.... Is anyone else in the same boat?

has anyone else been able to sign up for a day? Now mine is saying the whole "You have been locked out due to consecutive unsuccesseful login attempts. Please try again later."

Should we be worried if we never got a confirmation that they received our app? Mine was transmitted early last week of June and never got an email.... Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hmm, I might give them a call or send an email just to check then. Did you check your spam folders? My app was transmitted 7/3, I got the confirmation email on 7/10, and then received the interview invite today (7/19).

Hmm, I might give them a call or send an email just to check then. Did you check your spam folders? My app was transmitted 7/3, I got the confirmation email on 7/10, and then received the interview invite today (7/19).

Hmm..ok, I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks and congrats on your invite!

I haven't received a confirmation email either, and mine transmitted on 6/28. I guess I gotta call them.

I was allowed to schedule my interview (they must have corrected the error). Every Monday in August was available.

Interview invite:
4.0 35R
IS
Complete 6/28

Ahhh I really wish we could sign up for dates. Going to give them a call tomorrow.

I too have heard that they tend to favor older students. I've heard the dean of admissions speak twice. He is really really REALLY passionate about not putting too much emphasis on stats. He even told us about a guy they admitted a few years back who had a 17 MCAT, but really unique ECs. He ended up graduating at the top of the medical school class. He then said that when he looks at MCATs, he always refers back to the applicant's SAT/ACT. For instance, if you made a 29 on your ACT, he would expect you to make a 29 on your MCAT. But if you end up getting a 33, he would say that's because you know your stuff because you exceeded your baseline standardized testing ability. He looks favorably on that.

Anyways, based on what I gathered, they are really into looking at the applicant more holistically. It's an interesting philosophy. A lot of med schools say they look at the application as a whole, but when the dean spoke, he seemed like he genuinely meant it (as is also evidenced by admitting someone with a 17 MCAT).

I was allowed to schedule my interview (they must have corrected the error). Every Monday in August was available.

Did you just follow the link in your email? Mine still says that I'm locked out after trying too many times (But I haven't even received the opportunity to try....)

Did you just follow the link in your email? Mine still says that I'm locked out after trying too many times (But I haven't even received the opportunity to try....)

Same here, I've been getting that message too. unhistoried, is this the link you used?

https://amp.uthscsa.edu/

Yes, xiwang, that is the link I used. It gave me that same error at first. I left my desk for about an hour, and it worked when I came back.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

If I may ask, with those who have received interview invitation, did you guys all receive a confirmation email from San Antonio?

I'm on the same boat as the other guys where they never confirmed with me... :/

Hey guys,

If I may ask, with those who have received interview invitation, did you guys all receive a confirmation email from San Antonio?

I received the confirmation on July 10.

Seems that their link is working now. I was able to get in and choose an interview date.

Finally able to schedule the interview! If you're having trouble, try switching browsers.

Does anyone know how late interview days usually go? I'm trying to book flights and figure I will get there anytime on Sunday and come back sometime Monday night. Is 740 too early of a flight for Monday? What is the layout of an interview day like?

Does anyone know how late interview days usually go? I'm trying to book flights and figure I will get there anytime on Sunday and come back sometime Monday night. Is 740 too early of a flight for Monday? What is the layout of an interview day like?

Last year the interview day started at 9. The first 30 minutes we just stood around while everyone showed up and I think they had a table with some pastries/juice/coffee. Then we sat in an auditorium for 2-3 hours listening to various presentations about the school itself, the curriculum, financial aid, and the city. There was also a panel of MS4s who did an extended Q&A (with no faculty present), which was pretty cool. Around noon they broke us up into small groups and did tours of the facilities. Then they fed us lunch (catered club sandwiches). The interviews themselves were at the end of the day. After the interviews there was some mingle time where they served some light refreshments (cookies) and sent us home around 4-4:30.

You'll have more than enough time for a 7:40 flight. The medical school is very close to one of SA's major loops and getting the the airport shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. By the way, when driving to or from the airport definitely just take the relatively new flyover connecting hwy 281/loop 410. I mention that because my garmin GPS didn't have an updated map and it wanted me to take a much longer route.

Congrats!

Got an interview invite, seems around the same time as other people yesterday.

GPA: 3.82, MCAT: 32Q, TX resident
Non-traditional applicant, taking gap year to do research

My Application was submitted May 23, received verification email from UTSA July 10th that they had reviewed my app.

Interviewing August 27th

Good luck, everyone!

husky20, after you confirm your interview date, you should be able to access a link that directs you to the interview day schedule. I've copy and pasted it below:

8:30 – 9:00 AM Arrival/Registration in Lecture Hall Foyer

9:00 – 10:00 Welcome by Dr. David Jones, Professor of Anesthesiology and Senior Associate Dean for Medical School Admissions

10:15 – 11:00 Senior medical student (MS IV) panel

11:15 – 12:15 Tours of Medical School and University Hospital by MS IV's

12:15 – 1:00 Lunch with MS I and MS II Students

1:00 – 3:30 Interviews with Admission Committee members(the last interviews will conclude by 3:30 PM)

3:00 – 4:00 MS I/MS II informal mixer (refreshments served)

For those who got an invite, where is the info about staying with a current med student and the evening social the day before the interview? The site says those info are in the links at the right, but I'm having trouble finding them

Hey guys,

I emailed them about it, and this is the response I got:

".A confirmation email is sent out to each application as it is sent to our committee for review. I show your application was received on 6/28/2012 but we have not yet sent it out to our committee. The committee only began evaluating applications last week, however. We will continue to send applications to them on a weekly basis. We appreciate your patience during this busy admissions cycle. Please be in touch if you have additional questions. Thank you.".

I emailed them about it, and this is the response I got:

".A confirmation email is sent out to each application as it is sent to our committee for review. I show your application was received on 6/28/2012 but we have not yet sent it out to our committee. The committee only began evaluating applications last week, however. We will continue to send applications to them on a weekly basis. We appreciate your patience during this busy admissions cycle. Please be in touch if you have additional questions. Thank you.".

OK so if I read that correctly, can I make the following assumption:confused::
1) If you are received the confirmation email (meaning the committee has reviewed your app and
2) if you haven't received an invite so far
then you are pretty much screwed, which is my situation with UTSA thus far. What do you guys think?

OK so if I read that correctly, can I make the following assumption:confused::
1) If you are received the confirmation email (meaning the committee has reviewed your app and
2) if you haven't received an invite so far
then you are pretty much screwed, which is my situation with UTSA thus far. What do you guys think?

I don't think it is that way at all. By paying close attention to timeline of the thread and people who are getting interview invites, they are going one by one in "some random order" and sending out the invites if they are currently deemed worthy. At the moment all those who have gotten the confirmation on July 10th are being reviewed, then they'll go to the 11th and so on.

I also discovered that the committee reviews the same application several times throughout the season so not getting an interview at the moment does not mean we won't get one down the line.

they are going one by one in "some random order" and sending out the invites if they are currently deemed worthy. At the moment all those who have gotten the confirmation on July 10th are being reviewed, then they'll go to the 11th and so on.

The random part is what I don't get. Well may you be right. I received the July 10 confirmation email. I wonder how many invites they send per day.
This process is definitely an emotional roller-coaster.

The random part is what I don't get. Well may you be right. I received the July 10 confirmation email. I wonder how many invites they send per day.
This process is definitely an emotional roller-coaster.

Agreed, definitely a roller-coaster. I was confirmed on July 11th so I was hoping to get something either today or Monday. As a San Antonio resident I'm really hoping I get something from them...

I don't understand the random part either..for any school in fact. I was transmitted 5/8/2012 submitted my app 5-2-2012 and still no invites, but have received a few confirmations. For SA I was confirmed the 11th. I'm noticing that at most schools the first invites are going out to 33+ 3.7+ people right now, which of course makes perfect sense. Just gotta sit tight, the bulk release of interview offers is still yet to come!

most schools the first invites are going out to 33+ 3.7+ people right now, which of course makes perfect sense.
My numbers are descent enough to question the "the good numbers first" theory. There must be something else that totally escapes me. I am just really puzzled. All we can do is wait.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.