-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview and I did not receive that email.Complete mid-August, and I haven't even received the "status updates via text message" message yet... Sigh. Pretty sure a rejection is en route.
When were you complete?
Complete 8/1. I think my rejection has something to do with being a TX resident. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get an invite, but I suppose they know who will fit the school best.
I have an interview and I did not receive that email.
Thanks I won't completely lose hope yet!
II !!! I can't believe it! They've been rejecting people left and right. Thank God, so grateful 🙂 I was complete 8/19.
II !!! I can't believe it! They've been rejecting people left and right. Thank God, so grateful 🙂 I was complete 8/19.
Congrats!! I'm totally rooting for you!
Congrats!! I'm totally rooting for you!
Aww thanks so much! I really appreciate it.
I'm sorry to those who were rejected today. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.
rejected. completed 8/13 LM 74. Maybe I should've written the optional essay 🙁
You can't be kicking yourself for not writing the optional essay. When BU puts that optional essay, they really mean it's optional. Based on earlier posts, I'd venture to say that with BU, writing the optional essay isn't at all strongly correlated to improving your chance of receiving an II. Anyhow, you have great stats, you probably are a great candidate and another medical school will be lucky to have you! 👍
hey guys, has the 2013-2014 student host list been made available yet? The link in the confirmation email is still the 2012-2013 list...
I called them yesterday. They said the student host list is completely student-organized and they have no idea when exactly it will be released.
Is it a good idea to make a hotel reservation as a backup? (My interview is in 2 months)
rejected 9/10: MCAT 33 balanced, 3.57 cGPA, 3.77sGPA, OOS, extensive research, 2 first-author papers, completed 8/8, wrote the optional essay... well, the first decision I received...
That's just insane.. Like who the hell do they want? Maybe they thought you were going for something way above them and sensed they were your back up?? Idk this **** cray fish filet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's just insane.. Like who the hell do they want? Maybe they thought you were going for something way above them and sensed they were your back up?? Idk this **** cray fish filet
Is BU anyone's backup...
FWIW I didn't write the optional essay.
II! Complete 8/12. phew...
Congrats!!
Congrats!!
Thanks!!
II invite today ! cant believe it > 3.8 and 32 mcat
Congrats. When were you complete?
Rejected. 32. 3.63 3.79. Complete 8/16
Does anyone know if BU would be interested in applicants that speak fluent Cambodian? I didn't apply to BU but just thought about how they have a pretty high Cambodian population in Boston.
I lived in Boston for the first 23 years of my life and I never met a Cambodian person.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought BU does its applications in order. Do they not? I was complete before 8/16 and I have yet to be invited/rejected. What does that mean?
It means you should sit tight. I got my interview invite after about a month and after some people who were complete later had already gotten invites.
Primary: 7/7
Verified: 9/5
Still no secondary. Do they screen??
They don't screen. They send secondaries before you're even verified.
Are you sure you didn't get an email from them back in July around the time you submitted?
Rejected just now. Complete 8/7 3.6/38
Complete 8/14, 3.8/36
Applying here! (I'm somewhat late in the game.)
Verified in June, MCAT score received yesterday, primary sent yesterday, secondary received today, and secondary sent today.
Stats & EC's in my MDApps.
Good luck everyone! I definitely have my fingers crossed for this one. Love the area and love this school!
Verified in June, MCAT score received yesterday, primary sent yesterday, secondary received today, and secondary sent today.
Stats & EC's in my MDApps.
Good luck everyone! I definitely have my fingers crossed for this one. Love the area and love this school!
![]()
Complete 8/14, 3.8/36

edit: and also, i'm sorry for your loss
Applying here! (I'm somewhat late in the game.)
Verified in June, MCAT score received yesterday, primary sent yesterday, secondary received today, and secondary sent today.
Stats & EC's in my MDApps.
Good luck everyone! I definitely have my fingers crossed for this one. Love the area and love this school!
Secondary complete!
I thought BU does its applications in order. Do they not? I was complete before 8/16 and I have yet to be invited/rejected. What does that mean?
Me neither, guess they are just saying that generally it is in order. I know admissions commonly put stronger applications further up in the pile...
I was complete 8/19 and while someone else on that date already received an II, I'm still hopeful!
No news is better than bad news I guess.Oddly enough this isn't terribly surprising. Interviewing is expensive and time consuming for the university, and from what I have heard BU rejects most of the people they feel are using them as a safety. I got rejected here with a 3.54 and 37 (admittedly not quite as good, but still above average in terms of MCAT at least) not to mention pretty good EC's.Wow. Not even an interview with these stats?!?!?!? What in the world is BU looking for?
It may be counter-intuitive, but it is possible to be "too-good" for some schools (or at least that's what the overly optimistic voice in my head keeps telling myself, it could have been my middling GPA too). Not to imply that BU is a bad school, it's actually a great school and I am sure I would have really liked to go here. It's just how it goes.
Bottom line: rejection does not always mean you weren't good enough, it just means you aren't necessarily a good fit according to what the adcom is looking for.
Rejected just now. OOS (Louisiana), 3.63cGPA, 3.62 sGPA from a top 20 undergrad, 34mcat, 5 years extensive research employment/volunteer-work, Master's student with 4.0 in grad school. Disappointed… really liked this school
Rejected: 9/19
Secondary submitted:8/7
MCAT 32N
sGPA: 3.75
Native American
Published Research
CA Resident
Congrats to everyone who got II's.
Secondary submitted:8/7
MCAT 32N
sGPA: 3.75
Native American
Published Research
CA Resident
Congrats to everyone who got II's.
Rejected: 9/23
Secondary Submitted: 8/27
MCAT: 35
GPA: 3.8 BCPM/3.9 Total
3+ years of research (2 research grants, 1 research scholarship, 1 summer research internship)
Typical clinical experience (150+ hours physician shadowing, clinical volunteering, CNA training, hospital volunteering)
CT Resident
Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear from BU! 👍
Secondary Submitted: 8/27
MCAT: 35
GPA: 3.8 BCPM/3.9 Total
3+ years of research (2 research grants, 1 research scholarship, 1 summer research internship)
Typical clinical experience (150+ hours physician shadowing, clinical volunteering, CNA training, hospital volunteering)
CT Resident
Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear from BU! 👍
Just got rejected too, but I expected it given how many rejections were administered to others more qualified than me. Congrats to those with II and good luck!
Complete 8/27
Rejected 9/23
>3.9/30
Complete 8/27
Rejected 9/23
>3.9/30
Hey guys, im here to join the rejection party as well. Complete August 26-30 or so, Rejected today.
3.7+ GPA, 36-38 mcat. I really was intrigued by the school as well. Disheartening news, especially as I have still only gotten 2 rejections out of 20+ schools, while people left and right are getting II.
Oh well, good luck to all of y'all in your cycles!
3.7+ GPA, 36-38 mcat. I really was intrigued by the school as well. Disheartening news, especially as I have still only gotten 2 rejections out of 20+ schools, while people left and right are getting II.
Oh well, good luck to all of y'all in your cycles!
Rejection party what up!
Rejected 9/23
cGPA 3.44 sGPA 3.46
MCAT 31 8/12/11
Sad day.. Moving on 🙁
Rejected 9/23
cGPA 3.44 sGPA 3.46
MCAT 31 8/12/11
Sad day.. Moving on 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know if the login is down now? I've been trying to log in for the past 3 hours with no success...
+1
Joining the rejection party guys 🙁
Complete 8/26
3.9/34
Congrats to those who got IIs and good luck to those who have yet to hear back!
Complete 8/26
3.9/34
Congrats to those who got IIs and good luck to those who have yet to hear back!
System up and running again!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K