2013-2014 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahhhh I completed my secondary almost a month now.

Yeah its been over a month for me too. She basically said that it could be anywhere from now until April. Its only their second time doing this and it moves slowly.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah its been over a month for me too. She basically said that it could be anywhere from now until April. Its only their second time doing this and it moves slowly.

thanks for the info tho! Best of luck to both of us!

did ANYONE get rejected PRE-secondary?

they say they screen but i really wonder if they do?

Members don't see this ad :)
did ANYONE get rejected PRE-secondary?

they say they screen but i really wonder if they do?

Well they do have 24 (I believe) MCAT and 3.25 GPA listed as sort-of-minimums on their website. I'm not sure if these are enforced, but I expect a prescreen would have similar cutoffs. I think they're quite holistic in the review, however, so I don't know if those are hard limits for pre-secondary rejection.

P.S. -- I interviewed recently and really enjoyed it. Great faculty, nice students, and beautiful facilities! Feel free to PM me if any of you have questions about the interview.

does cmu allow update letters pre-interview? anyone had any experience with sending them one?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference between a hold and a waitlist?

The way I understand it, 'hold' is basically a rejection. You can go from hold onto the waitlist, but I assume it's to the bottom of the pile.

From what I heard, CMED offered some acceptances to the top of the waitlist last year, but they had a very high yield and didn't have to go much beyond that (hence my thinking a hold is a polite 'no').

To anyone that has an interview within the next 2 weeks, have any of you received the final confirmation that is supposed to come "approximately 2 weeks prior to your scheduled interview date"? Mine is on the 12th and I haven't received anything yet.

To anyone that has an interview within the next 2 weeks, have any of you received the final confirmation that is supposed to come "approximately 2 weeks prior to your scheduled interview date"? Mine is on the 12th and I haven't received anything yet.
Mine came ~7-9 days before the interview, so I expect you'll get it tomorrow or Monday. There's nothing life-or-death included in the information packet, so you really don't have to worry about not having it yet!

this pre-interview information packet comes via email, right?

I just received my confirmation for the 12th this morning. Best of luck!

to anyone who interviewed on the 20th sept, how many oos were in the interview group?

thx :)

To back up my previous claim with something concrete (CMED Twitter):
"First AC mtg last Monday, some great discussions. Decisions to all who interviewed in September will be communicated on 10/15."

:xf:... :scared:

To back up my previous claim with something concrete (CMED Twitter):
"First AC mtg last Monday, some great discussions. Decisions to all who interviewed in September will be communicated on 10/15."

:xf:... :scared:

i wonder if they give bad news via email and good news via phone call

i wonder if they give bad news via email and good news via phone call

At the interview they said they don't reject anyone at this point. If you're on Hold you get notified by email. Acceptance and waitlist get a call, IIRC.

At the interview they said they don't reject anyone at this point. If you're on Hold you get notified by email. Acceptance and waitlist get a call, IIRC.
I'm trying not to worry about this all weekend... whew... deep breaths... too bad I'll be in a MRI RF-shielded 4th level sub-basement all Tuesday afternoon... not good for a phone call. :laugh: ... but, CMED, don't take that to mean that I want an e-mail instead! ;)

Good luck to everyone waiting for news! My interview cohort was great, so I'm hoping you all hear good news.

Last edited:
I'm trying not to worry about this all weekend... whew... deep breaths... too bad I'll be in a MRI RF-shielded 4th level sub-basement all Tuesday afternoon... not good for a phone call. :laugh: ... but, CMED, don't take that to mean that I want an e-mail instead! ;)

Good luck to everyone waiting for news! My interview cohort was great, so I'm hoping you all hear good news.

Get google voice. It will transcribe or at least attempt to transcribe a voicemail and it comes in as data so it can be emailed to you if you have wifi access downstairs

Hey I have an interview at CMU soon and was wondering if anybody whose had an interview knows what kinds of topics they'll ask. Just in general. Getting nervous :confused:

Thanks!

Hey I have an interview at CMU soon and was wondering if anybody whose had an interview knows what kinds of topics they'll ask. Just in general. Getting nervous :confused:

Thanks!
The do the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) for interviews... my best advice (since we can't tell you anything specific about the interview) is to look at the following links to familiarize yourself with the format/sample questions.

Information:
http://studentdoctor.net/2011/01/the-multiple-mini-interview-for-medical-school-admissions/

Sample scenarios:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/2008_09 MMI Cases.pdf

The do the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) for interviews... my best advice (since we can't tell you anything specific about the interview) is to look at the following links to familiarize yourself with the format/sample questions.

Information:
http://studentdoctor.net/2011/01/the-multiple-mini-interview-for-medical-school-admissions/

Sample scenarios:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/2008_09 MMI Cases.pdf

Thanks for the info!
Also, anybody who had an interview, I haven't gotten my information packet yet? Can somebody PM it to me please and thank you!

Yeah, same boat! At least there hasn't been a thread full of acceptances to make me more nervous :D

Lol, so true!

Were they supposed to send decisions today? No specific date was given on my interview day.

Lol, so true!

Were they supposed to send decisions today? No specific date was given on my interview day.

CMU CMED ADMISSIONS ‏@CMUCMED 9 Oct

First AC mtg last Monday, some great discussions. Decisions to all who interviewed in September will be communicated on 10/15.

Hi everyone,

I just got the acceptance call! Good luck to all of you. I wish you the best of luck!

Hi everyone,

I just got the acceptance call! Good luck to all of you. I wish you the best of luck!

CONGRATULATIONS! :)

Also: Oh no, my phone is dead... I wonder if they'll email us if we're rejected or waitlisted.

I had around a 3.8 GPA and a competitive MCAT score. I am OOS. Best of luck to everyone!

My Online Status has not changed*

Last edited:
Ahh... a hold... no way. My one interview so far and I was so excited. I thought the interview went so well. :(

I'm sorry! I feel like they might be a little more selective as first because of the small number of spots? Good luck this cycle though -- you never know what could happen.

If you don't mind my asking, how were decisions communicated? Email, status change, etc.? There's literally nothing going on at work so I'm sitting here obsessing...