2013-2014 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When they ask if we worked for compensation, they just mean a paid job right? Not work-study or anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Megapost forthcometh

Going to apply here as well.

mcdowe, what is your experience with students with low uGPA/high SMP GPA?

my stats are 3.4uGPA/3.87 SMP GPA/ 35
They get in or they don't like any other group of applicants, but P&S is more forgiving of "blemishes" than some other schools

When it asks us for collegiate ECs does it mean everything on our AMCAS? Such as hospital volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.?

Also wth is this CV? Can i just upload my AMCAS app? lol

Yes, everything on the AMCAS, it's a vestige of the old application

Only submit a CV if you actually have one - most applicants will not have one, but a CV is particularly useful for those who have a long academic and professional/occupational history.

Anyone know if "post-bacc" may include masters students with graduate degrees?
Postbac usually implies undergraduate studies after graduating.. I'm not sure what context this question fits into as I don't believe this is asked in the secondary?

Hey
I have questions about Columbia's question asking about my parents' occupation.

1. When answering this question, do I just state their jobs, or do I need to further elaborate on this?
2. Also, what is the purpose of asking this question? Does my parents' socioeconomic background affect my chance of getting an interview?
3. Lastly, if my mom has been taking some time on and off from her job, do I need to mention this (she currently doesn't work, but plans on returning sometime later this year)?
Don't overthink it, it's just to get to know who you are

Resume OK? Or no?
Fine
Not sure how much value a resume would give - I assume most of the resume stuff is already covered in the AMCAS app. CV is much more comprehensive; resume is about a page...my CV is 7 pages long...therein lies the difference
Don't be that guy man, come on
"If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so."

Does this specifically refer to taking time off from undergrad somewhere between freshman and senior year? ....As opposed to time off between undergrad and medical school?
Yes it specifically means time during what would traditionally be a 4-year track from registration to graduation
@mmmcdowe

I have a question about the basset program. I am interested in applying but have no experience with rural communities but have a lot with the underserved from urban communities. Would it be worth it to apply or do regular MD instead? I know that you can get reviewed by the regular md if not accepted into the basset program. But will it delay evaluation for regular md? Also, can anyone elaborate on benefits of both?

I know this is a lot, but I would appreciate it. I also looked at both online and did a summer program at Columbia so I am familiar with the school but want another perspective. Thanks.
One would be forced to ask why you'd be interested in a rural health program when you have no such experience? It's almost akin to applying to MD/PhD with no research experience

For the CV, should we use our normal business resumes?

My business resume includes my test scores from high School (ACT) because it is expected int he industry I work in, but I am afraid I will look like a dick if I include it on my med school app.
One presumes you can change your resume to the purpose at hand
It's telling me the "From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English?" is required. Are y'all just putting english?
I think this question used to be phrased more as "what languages do you speak" but they're just looking for a degree of proficiency. You can put N/A
When they ask if we worked for compensation, they just mean a paid job right? Not work-study or anything?
Work study is for compensation

I think this question used to be phrased more as "what languages do you speak" but they're just looking for a degree of proficiency. You can put N/A
I guess in the big picture of the overall application it's pretty irrelevant, but although I can't speak French very well, I certainly know I can read scholarly articles without much trouble...so I could read (and give a rough translation) but I don't think I could defend myself properly in an interview. Would it be best to just not list it, then?

On the flip side, I wager I could defend myself in an interview in Korean if need be, but I would never be able to read (much less translate) a scholarly article.

Going to apply here as well.

mcdowe, what is your experience with students with low uGPA/high SMP GPA?

my stats are 3.4uGPA/3.87 SMP GPA/ 35

They are favorable towards masters program people.

@mmmcdowe

I have a question about the basset program. I am interested in applying but have no experience with rural communities but have a lot with the underserved from urban communities. Would it be worth it to apply or do regular MD instead? I know that you can get reviewed by the regular md if not accepted into the basset program. But will it delay evaluation for regular md? Also, can anyone elaborate on benefits of both?

I know this is a lot, but I would appreciate it. I also looked at both online and did a summer program at Columbia so I am familiar with the school but want another perspective. Thanks.

There's no harm in applying to it. It will not effect your chances at normal MD. The benefit of the normal program is you don't have to uproot and you do all of your major rotations in an urban environment. The advantage of Bassett is you get a more longitudinal experience that is supplemented with a lot of education regarding public health and healthcare improvement.

For the "If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim." question, what if I haven't officially graduated yet?

I've finished most of my requirements (all for neurobio, just have psych left). I just have three classes for psych left and am taking those classes part-time on top of full-time work.

So, I mostly live like a "graduated" student. But should I not answer the question? Or should I just skip it and use it to answer the "Is there anything else you would like us to know?" question

Thanks!

I'm applying to some MD/PHD programs , but haven't decided about Columbia. They have an independent review process, but website also says they coordinate both interviews into one weekend.

The MD/PHD interviews start later... does this mean those applicants will have delayed MD interviews?

Hello fellow P&S applicants.

On the secondary, under the "experiences" tab, it says:

"Please insert your academic and/or relevant work experience below."

Since they have already asked for ECs and employment in a separate tab, what exactly do they want here??

@mmmcdowe, I am a re-applicant to Columbia. Do you think I should utilize the "Optional Essay" to talk about what I've done during this past year to make myself a stronger applicant?

I know they have a very small section where they allowed us to talk about it, but I couldn't go in depth other than pretty much listing what I did within like 250 characters. Part of the reason I am asking is because I've already written a "re-applicant" essay for another school.

Since they have already asked for ECs and employment in a separate tab, what exactly do they want here??

Good question.

Weird. I don't have an "experiences" tab. My links under the Secondary option are: Basic Information, Application Fee, Upload Photo, Upload CV, and Submit Application. Am I just looking at the wrong place? :confused:

I called this morning and was told that under the "Experiences" tab they are looking only for relevant medical experiences, paid or unpaid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weird. I don't have an "experiences" tab. My links under the Secondary option are: Basic Information, Application Fee, Upload Photo, Upload CV, and Submit Application. Am I just looking at the wrong place? :confused:

Same here for me too. Unsure of what people are referring to.

Hmmm, I suppose it's possible that it only appears on the MSTP secondary.

For the question: In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? Are you guys just listing them, because 400 characters doesn't seem like a lot of space

For the question: In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? Are you guys just listing them, because 400 characters doesn't seem like a lot of space

I gave a short paragraph-form explanation about my ECs, much as I would in a short verbal explanation to someone who had asked what kinds of activities I was involved in at college. I used a "Much of my time was used doing X, while I also did Y. Further, I enjoyed the opportunity to Z" type format. I think it's up to you though. No wrong way to do it.

For the "If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim." question, what if I haven't officially graduated yet?

I've finished most of my requirements (all for neurobio, just have psych left). I just have three classes for psych left and am taking those classes part-time on top of full-time work.

So, I mostly live like a "graduated" student. But should I not answer the question? Or should I just skip it and use it to answer the "Is there anything else you would like us to know?" question

Thanks!

I'd skip it.

I'm applying to some MD/PHD programs , but haven't decided about Columbia. They have an independent review process, but website also says they coordinate both interviews into one weekend.

The MD/PHD interviews start later... does this mean those applicants will have delayed MD interviews?

No, you are not at a disadvantage. Until you've been okayed for a MD interview you don't get assessed for MD/PhD, or something like that. Once you have an interview spot when you do it is irrelevant.

@mmmcdowe, I am a re-applicant to Columbia. Do you think I should utilize the "Optional Essay" to talk about what I've done during this past year to make myself a stronger applicant?

I know they have a very small section where they allowed us to talk about it, but I couldn't go in depth other than pretty much listing what I did within like 250 characters. Part of the reason I am asking is because I've already written a "re-applicant" essay for another school.

Yes

Non-paid, focused on medical/research positions. I'd put paid research under here too, but it really doesn't matter. They'll find it all.

Warning!!

The extra-curricular section sometimes has no word limit posted, but will truncate after you press save. I almost submitted my finalized secondary before realizing this. Be forewarned!

Is it normal that the application status says that they haven't received our letters of recommendations? I submitted secondary couple of days back and my AMCAS has been verified for about a week. Most of my application statuses seem to indicate that they have not received LORs yet.

current p&s students:

i went to columbia as an undergrad and thus did the majority of my clinical stuff (shadowing, clinical research, etc) at cumc and am working there during my gap year as well. columbia is my #1 choice and i really love the school/medical campus - do you think it would be a good idea to talk about this in the "anything else you want to tell us" section? or would that be over-the-top? i just really wanna make it clear that columbia is my top choice :)

On the question: Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? Do they want an essay or a list with bullet points a la resume? I listed all of my jobs on my primary application as well. Do they want a rehashing of what I already listed?

Last edited:
Is it normal that the application status says that they haven't received our letters of recommendations? I submitted secondary couple of days back and my AMCAS has been verified for about a week. Most of my application statuses seem to indicate that they have not received LORs yet.

If I recall correctly this is because they havent downloaded the lors yet.

current p&s students:

i went to columbia as an undergrad and thus did the majority of my clinical stuff (shadowing, clinical research, etc) at cumc and am working there during my gap year as well. columbia is my #1 choice and i really love the school/medical campus - do you think it would be a good idea to talk about this in the "anything else you want to tell us" section? or would that be over-the-top? i just really wanna make it clear that columbia is my top choice :)

Thats not the purpose of that paragraph but people do put stuff like that there.

Do I lose points for not uploading a CV? Between the primary and secondary applications, I feel my accomplishments are pretty well laid out.

Do I lose points for not uploading a CV? Between the primary and secondary applications, I feel my accomplishments are pretty well laid out.

CV is advantageous because it streamlines your ACCOMPLISHMENTS. The essays and such on AMCAS and the secondary allow you to discuss why something was meaningful to you, or why you did it, or what you learned and how it has prepared you for medical school / career in medicine. CV is just a straightforward overview of WHAT you have done, but much less of the why or how of it. I can see why schools would find it helpful.

Thats not the purpose of that paragraph but people do put stuff like that there.

How about talking about my musical performances including links to my youtube channel?

thanks for the reply! so would that be advisable or not?

As I said, it isn't what that area is for. It will neither help nor hurt. Talking about your love for Columbia is something more fitting for the interview and post-interview letters where they might actually believe you. If you're the kind of person who is a "well if it doesn't hurt" kind of guy/gal, then write it. If you're the kind of person who is a "well if it doesn't help" kind of guy/gal, then don't.

How about talking about my musical performances including links to my youtube channel?

That's really not what it is for either. It is there for people who have something glaring that needs to be explained or otherwise does not fit elsewhere. They print these applications out, so no one is likely to click on a link where ever you put it. If it is something that really reflects who you are then you could put it on a cd and bring it to your interview or send it to them post-interview as an update.

As I said, it isn't what that area is for. It will neither help nor hurt. Talking about your love for Columbia is something more fitting for the interview and post-interview letters where they might actually believe you. If you're the kind of person who is a "well if it doesn't hurt" kind of guy/gal, then write it. If you're the kind of person who is a "well if it doesn't help" kind of guy/gal, then don't.

okay thanks!

anyone else verified but not receiving a secondary from Columbia yet?

Complete today! Submitted on Saturday

For the collegiate extra-curriculars question, did you guys just list them? I don't think there's much space for anything more.

Got my secondary today! I actually got it about half an hour before I was verified. Interesting

Anyway, how are you guys answering the "Complex Urban Environment" essay question? I'm not sure where to go with that one... :confused:

Got my secondary today! I actually got it about half an hour before I was verified. Interesting

Anyway, how are you guys answering the "Complex Urban Environment" essay question? I'm not sure where to go with that one... :confused:

I talked about the cultural barriers that are present in NYC (800 spoken languages!) and how I would you use my own experiences/ diversity to overcome them and thus prevent the associated feeling of isolation

Got my secondary today! I actually got it about half an hour before I was verified.:

I just got mine too, but I'm not verified and don't expect to be for at least a week...

I got my secondary this afternoon!

Pretty surprising considering I literally submitted my AMCAS a few days ago (was marked "ready for review" right after submission). I am waiting for my MCAT score, but in order for me to get my AMCAS verified now, I had to select a high-reach school. In my case, I picked Columbia P&S because there is no way I could get in. So, I am pleasantly surprised to get a secondary.

Does Columbia screen? I have searched but couldn't get a concrete answer. Should I still do the secondary?

I got my secondary this afternoon!

Pretty surprising considering I literally submitted my AMCAS a few days ago (was marked "ready for review" right after submission). I am waiting for my MCAT score, but in order for me to get my AMCAS verified now, I had to select a high-reach school. In my case, I picked Columbia P&S because there is no way I could get in. So, I am pleasantly surprised to get a secondary.

Does Columbia screen? I have searched but couldn't get a concrete answer. Should I still do the secondary?

Columbia does not screen.

A little stumped on how to answer: In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage?

I am a post-bacc and all my extra-curriculars in college were geared toward my major (Business). Since the question specifically says "collegiate," I am not sure whether to include the activities I've done as a post-bacc (shadowing, research, etc). Include? Exclude?

For the "working for compensation" question on the secondary, how in depth is everyone going with that? I've worked a few jobs, but obviously I have a pretty good explanation of these in my primary. I thought it would be okay to say something like "I worked as a ___ for ___ hours/week" but I see now we're allowed 300 words, which is kind of a lot and makes me think maybe they want more of a description.

A little stumped on how to answer: In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage?

I am a post-bacc and all my extra-curriculars in college were geared toward my major (Business). Since the question specifically says "collegiate," I am not sure whether to include the activities I've done as a post-bacc (shadowing, research, etc). Include? Exclude?

It's focused on undergrad but it is not inappropriate to include post-bach stuff.