2013-2014 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about talking about my musical performances including links to my youtube channel?

I do know the dean enjoys checking people's work out online. If you didn't throw it in the AMCAS I would disagree with mmmmmmmmcdowe and say it'd be worthwhile (but make it very pithy). However, caveat emptor as mmmmmmmmm is my senior

Members don't see this ad.

I do know the dean enjoys checking people's work out online. If you didn't throw it in the AMCAS I would disagree with mmmmmmmmcdowe and say it'd be worthwhile (but make it very pithy). However, caveat emptor as mmmmmmmmm is my senior

Thanks to both you and mmmmmmmmcdowe for the input. I suppose I will include it. It's a major part of who I am, and if it offends anyone, well :(

Thanks to both you and mmmmmmmmcdowe for the input. I suppose I will include it. It's a major part of who I am, and if it offends anyone, well :(

You could use a link shortener like Goo.gl or a TinyURL to make the URL really short and easier to type in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on an unrelated search and found that Columbia used to prompt students to put a 15 in for their verbal if they scored 13-15 on VR. Does anyone know if that is still the case? Just thought it was odd.

I was on an unrelated search and found that Columbia used to prompt students to put a 15 in for their verbal if they scored 13-15 on VR. Does anyone know if that is still the case? Just thought it was odd.

Not sure where you would put that in. You don't put your MCAT scores anywhere on the secondary.

Before 2004, the AAMC gave a 13-15 to top VR scorers rather than a single number. I'm assuming you found something from before they switched.

Before 2004, the AAMC gave a 13-15 to top VR scorers rather than a single number. I'm assuming you found something from before they switched.

The thread was about old Columbia secondaries having a carry-over from that time. Perhaps 2006. Thank you for that perspective.

Uh...what exactly do they mean by "What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them?" ?? :scared:

Uh...what exactly do they mean by "What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them?" ?? :scared:

I imagine its partly aimed at bumpkins like me who grew up in Iowa but also an attempt to get you to answer a "how will you fit into the SES and ethnically diverse city of NYC and turn it into and advantage you can use?"

This question took me all day but I finally figured out what to write :)
Good luck!:luck:

Complete email received Wednesday 7/10/13

I imagine its partly aimed at bumpkins like me who grew up in Iowa but also an attempt to get you to answer a "how will you fit into the SES and ethnically diverse city of NYC and turn it into and advantage you can use?"

This question definitely was not aimed at New Yorkers; I just wrote something along the lines of "as a New Yorker, I don't expect any challenges out of the ordinary to what I have faced living and working in the city." Then I talked about support systems and how I have one here I can rely on if I needed to.

Haha. Thanks!

This question definitely was not aimed at New Yorkers; I just wrote something along the lines of "as a New Yorker, I don't expect any challenges out of the ordinary to what I have faced living and working in the city." Then I talked about support systems and how I have one here I can rely on if I needed to.

Thanks so much! Yea I lived in New York for 6 months and LOVED it, so that's why I was like what am I supposed to say? Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone applying to the PhD-MD program, or is anyone on here from that program?

You could use a link shortener like Goo.gl or a TinyURL to make the URL really short and easier to type in.

This would probably be better if you're going to do it. Again, I'd bring a way to display it to your interview because they may ask about it. An Ipad for example.

Is anyone applying to the PhD-MD program, or is anyone on here from that program?

Oh, they have a PhD-to-MD program? Didn't know that.

Last edited:
Anyone working on the MSTP secondary? There were a few strange questions that really stumped me:

If proficiency was acquired by means other than course work, please describe (250 chars)
PhD Goals (5000 chars)
Additional Information (5000 chars)

There is absolutely no background/context given to answer these. What proficiency? What do they mean by PhD goals? What additional information do they want?

Anyone else working on this? What did you do?

(by the way, I had googled the proficiency question and found it to be preceded by "From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English?" in other Columbia grad school applications, but there is no such question—obviously—on the MSTP secondary.)

Anyone working on the MSTP secondary? There were a few strange questions that really stumped me:

There is absolutely no background/context given to answer these. What proficiency? What do they mean by PhD goals? What additional information do they want?

Anyone else working on this? What did you do?

I agree that the proficiency question may have something to do with the language question.

For the "PhD Goals" question, I was told to interpret this as "what are your research-related PhD goals", or "What are your PhD goals based on your current research interests". I've had a difficult time with this. It's hard to answer this without sounding like some starry eyed dreamer. :oops:

I left the 5000 char additional box blank. :confused:

I agree that the proficiency question may have something to do with the language question.

For the "PhD Goals" question, I was told to interpret this as "what are your research-related PhD goals", or "What are your PhD goals based on your current research interests". I've had a difficult time with this. It's hard to answer this without sounding like some starry eyed dreamer. :oops:

So I emailed about the proficiency question and this is what they said:

1) Please explain how you may have attained proficiency in any relevant medical subject in a manner not derived from course work. This can include professional experience, lab experience, self education, etc.

Interesting...

Oh, they have a PhD-to-MD program? Didn't know that.

this is the second year. it offers people with an existing phd to do medical school in 3 years. it does not require you to stay at columbia or choose a specific specialty.

I'm having so much trouble answering question 6: what challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? *

I attend school in LA, a pretty complex urban environment in my opinion. I'm so confused as to what I challenges I will encounter in NY and not in LA....:(

I'm having so much trouble answering question 6: what challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? *

I attend school in LA, a pretty complex urban environment in my opinion. I'm so confused as to what I challenges I will encounter in NY and not in LA....:(

How about talk about some of the challenges you have faced living in LA, and how that prepared you to go to Columbia and live in NY?

So I emailed about the proficiency question and this is what they said:

1) Please explain how you may have attained proficiency in any relevant medical subject in a manner not derived from course work. This can include professional experience, lab experience, self education, etc.

Interesting...

Thanks for this- I was wondering if that's what they meant. Seems that so many of the questions are vague & repetitive. For the experiences section then wouldn't you essentially put the same things? (ie research experience, clinical exposure...)

Also on PhD information page it asks "Are you currently applying to any other division of Columbia"? I am assuming they mean aside from the med school?

i grew up in ny and went to high school/college there...i cant think of what to write for the complex urban environment question...any suggestions anyone??

i grew up in ny and went to high school/college there...i cant think of what to write for the complex urban environment question...any suggestions anyone??

Look through the rest of the thread. Someone else was from NYC and said what they wrote about,

What kind of things are they looking for when they ask about what challenges we expect to face in a complex urban environment?

What if you grew up in a complex urban environment and don't really anticipate facing any difficulties that you haven't already faced growing up?

What kind of things are they looking for when they ask about what challenges we expect to face in a complex urban environment?

What if you grew up in a complex urban environment and don't really anticipate facing any difficulties that you haven't already faced growing up?

I grew up in an urban environment and went to school in NYC. I approached this question by explaining the challenges I previously faced and how I have dealt with them/anticipate dealing with them going forward.

I went to college in an urban environment, but New York is so much more complex. if you grew up in New York, you probably won't have anything to overcome by living on campus. If that's the case, you can talk about things you DID overcome while living there. otherwise, there are aspects to living in Manhattan that can get to you if you have to do them everyday and you're not used to them. try thinking about the differences of living in Manhattan and where you live and ask yourself if they are things you'd have to overcome

I called to clarify 2 of the MD/PhD questions:
1. I was told the proficiency question refers to language
2. For academic and/or relevant work experience, I asked what "academic" includes...teaching assistant? Was told "writing a paper or anything along those lines" :confused:

I feel like these MD/PhD questions are unnecessarily vague. "PhD goals," to me, doesn't mean "what specific areas of research you want to work on and how does Columbia help your career goals" - which is what I think Columbia is trying to ask. I took a more general approach to answering that question, but too bad, I already submitted. For anyone who gets in or is currently at Columbia, ask them to write more specific questions please! It's only good methodology :).

For the question on work experiences - did anyone use the full 300 words to describe this in detail? I'm not sure if I should consider this an opportunity to give an in-depth analysis of my employment opportunities, or if I should merely list the work experiences I had.

For the question on work experiences - did anyone use the full 300 words to describe this in detail? I'm not sure if I should consider this an opportunity to give an in-depth analysis of my employment opportunities, or if I should merely list the work experiences I had.
depends on how much you explained in amcas

A question about their question regarding ECs.... do we just list them again or include what we had in the primaries, meaning the short blurb describing the activity? Do we include dates? ...why can't they just refer to our primaries for this question....:annoyed:

A question about their question regarding ECs.... do we just list them again or include what we had in the primaries, meaning the short blurb describing the activity? Do we include dates? ...why can't they just refer to our primaries for this question....:annoyed:

400 chars - no space for 2nd option there

this collegiate extracurriculars question is really throwing me off....not sure what to include...i feel like im just repeating my amcas activities list. also since they say collegiate does that exclude things like hobbies like playing an instrument or studying a language? =/

really not sure what they mean by collegiate...as in, you did it during college or it was an organized college activity/club....?

you've brought more questions to my attention... although I have a feeling we may be over-thinking/over-analyzing this. I'm sure they know that they can always refer back to our amcas for more information....

this collegiate extracurriculars question is really throwing me off....not sure what to include...i feel like im just repeating my amcas activities list. also since they say collegiate does that exclude things like hobbies like playing an instrument or studying a language? =/

really not sure what they mean by collegiate...as in, you did it during college or it was an organized college activity/club....?

Guys. We need to chill.

Isn't the limit 400 characters? Given the limit, I honestly think it's just mean to give application readers a snap-shot picture of what your college extracurriculars were without having to read through the entire AMCAS primary. Personally, I just included my most meaningful activities (not necessarily just the 3 listed for AMCAS), with a little blurb on my involvement. To answer your question, I think "collegiate" means anything you did during college; not necessarily college-affiliated.

yea true trying not to overthink but now im having a major character problem....it sounds so snippy and i cant fit anything in =/ cant even cover all of my amcas activities....and i cant decide what to leave out

yea true trying not to overthink but now im having a major character problem....it sounds so snippy and i cant fit anything in =/ cant even cover all of my amcas activities....and i cant decide what to leave out

I can almost guarantee you're overthinking it.

I've been having issues separating my ECs and part-time jobs as those were basically synonymous to me as it just worked out conveniently that some of my ECs were paid positions. Figuring that it might be too redundant to list them twice, but my EC list looks so sad if I shuttle everything into the work section.

On another note, has anyone noticed that you can't re-upload your CV once it's been uploaded the first time?

I've been having issues separating my ECs and part-time jobs as those were basically synonymous to me as it just worked out conveniently that some of my ECs were paid positions. Figuring that it might be too redundant to list them twice, but my EC list looks so sad if I shuttle everything into the work section.

On another note, has anyone noticed that you can't re-upload your CV once it's been uploaded the first time?

Yeah...I wanted to update mine with one that had my non-school email before submitting in case something went wrong in the transition to my alumni account, but ohhhh well :laugh:

Hi, new user here forgive me if I mess anything up. First let me say thank you for those of you answering questions and providing such great feedback/information. You've been tremendously helpful and I really appreciate it. Onto my questions --

According to the FAQ, Columbia does not conduct "rolling admissions". I'm currently trying to triage my secondary applications; can I take this to mean that applying earlier does not provide an edge as compared to schools which do utilize rolling admissions?

Also, does knowing someone currently enrolled have any potential advantages? And if so I'd be interested in how one could gracefully make use of this. I don't have much experience in this area.

Last edited:
Hi, new user here forgive me if I mess anything up. First let me say thank you for those of you answering questions and providing such great feedback/information. You've been tremendously helpful and I really appreciate it. Onto my questions --

According to the FAQ, Columbia does not conduct "rolling admissions". I'm currently trying to triage my secondary applications; can I take this to mean that applying earlier does not provide an edge as compared to schools which do utilize rolling admissions?

Also, does knowing someone currently enrolled have any potential advantages? And if so I'd be interested in how one could gracefully make use of this. I don't have much experience in this area.

Applying earlier would still provide an advantage because the adcom will still review the apps in the order that they receive them and give out IIs. Competing with a couple hundred applicants for a couple hundred interview spots early in the process would give better odds than competing with a couple thousand applicants for a fewer amount of interview spots later in the process.

As far as acceptances go however, I think this policy does not put you an advantage for getting one regardless of how early you interviewed. (I could be wrong on this notion)

And I'm not sure that knowing someone who is enrolled will be of much help, unless they are family.

If you want the person you know to be an advantage you should contact that person directly and see what they think

As for rolling admissions, decisions are not rolling but interview invites are made as they move along. This is true at all schools, I'd advise you to write your secondaries for all your schools ASAP.

Regarding the EC question on the secondaries that seems to perplex much of you (as it did me when I was in your shoes), it's meant to be a simple, shorthand list people can refer to for quick info in a single place. Just list your AMCAS stuff again