You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Duke University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Looks like I might have to order my tar heels jersey here soon
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted! 1:28 email, last name P. Yay!
Email from Richard Wallace.
When did you interview?
i wi
i wish. i know an e and a l accepted yesterday.....soooo is that still alphabetical?O at 1:14pm
P at 1:28pm
Looks like alphabetical order to me... congrats to all accepted!
Wasn't it just a few people with connections yesterday?i wi
i wish. i know an e and a l accepted yesterday.....soooo is that still alphabetical?
Would you like to indicate your last initial and time maybe?Just got in to Duuuuukkkeeee!!!
sorry revise that. i was being generic and vague. one person with connections yesterday and the one today and then another whose last name i dont know.Wasn't it just a few people with connections yesterday?
Wish they would spread the love to those of us without so much success already this cycle.
Dear Duke,
Please just put me out of my misery already!
Please just put me out of my misery already!
+1Dear Duke,
Please just put me out of my misery already!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Want to share last initial and time-stamp?ACCEPTED!!! Cloud 9 right now!!!
Ahhh neuroticism. What will be, will be.Want to share last initial and time-stamp?
Im guessing dchef is a dukieAny Current Dukies get accepted?
Just got in to Duuuuukkkeeee!!!
What up?! We in here!!!!
My last name is at the beginning of the alphabet so I've pretty much given up hope at this point. Congrats to all those accepted, Duke is an amazing place!
And the rich get richer...
Im guessing dchef is a dukie
Kinda! Didn't go to Duke for undergrad though.
"To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour."
What up?! We in here!!!!
Congratulations.
The tone of this post, while understandable, is like a kick in the gut to the people watching/posting in this thread who won't get good news. We get it, you've had enormous success this cycle.
This goes for everyone: these boards could use some humility. Consider how others not as fortunate feel when reading posts like this.
Congratulations.
The tone of this post, while understandable, is like a kick in the gut to the people watching/posting in this thread who won't get good news. We get it, you've had enormous success this cycle.
This goes for everyone: these boards could use some humility. Consider how others not as fortunate feel when reading posts like this.
I agree humility is important, but I also do not think that ones own bitterness or resent should ruin the day for those who have reason to celebrate. If your feelings get hurt by reading about other's success--don't read.
I agree humility is important, but I also do not think that ones own bitterness or resent should ruin the day for those who have reason to celebrate. If your feelings get hurt by reading about other's success--don't read.
I was accepted; I'm not bitter.
Particularly when so many have so much riding on these outcomes, when folks are hanging on every word posted, there are right ways and wrong ways to express your happiness at the outcome. Posting from the acceptance email, for example, is the wrong way.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not the success that is bothersome, it's the way it is conveyed. This isn't just another trophy for our application cycle for some of us.I agree humility is important, but I also do not think that ones own bitterness or resent should ruin the day for those who have reason to celebrate. If your feelings get hurt by reading about other's success--don't read.
For those waiting, last year emails kept rolling through about 7 pm (and I think there were a few the next day, even though it had been labeled as a waitlist/condolences day). Also, like RW said (on our interview day at least), it's super duper highly unlikely that you get a Duke interview and then don't get into any schools this cycle. Scream into a pillow, in the middle of the woods, or work out like crazy to get out jitters (I don't think I've been this fit in a while, actually haha), but know that not just anyone gets a Duke interview and you are worthy of medical school.
That said, this process is the most draining, awful, drawn-out thing...
That said, this process is the most draining, awful, drawn-out thing...
Chin up guys! People heard as late as the day after with acceptances last year. I'm trying to stay positive until I get any kind of email. Let's keep each other hopeful!
Congratulations.
The tone of this post, while understandable, is like a kick in the gut to the people watching/posting in this thread who won't get good news. We get it, you've had enormous success this cycle.
This goes for everyone: these boards could use some humility. Consider how others not as fortunate feel when reading posts like this.
Dude. I just got accepted into my dream school. Get off my case.
Congratulations.
The tone of this post, while understandable, is like a kick in the gut to the people watching/posting in this thread who won't get good news. We get it, you've had enormous success this cycle.
This goes for everyone: these boards could use some humility. Consider how others not as fortunate feel when reading posts like this.
Also why are you picking on me? I just said what's up to a friend.
"To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour."
I definitely understand people expressing their excitement about acceptances on SDN - you have worked hard and deserve to be congratulated from fellow pre-meds! But along the lines of this whole humility thing, quoting the acceptance letter that the majority of us are not going to get is on a different level. It is in extremely poor taste. For the sake of everyone that will be extremely disappointed by the end of this weekend, let's try to keep the celebrations respectful, and we will all celebrate with you! 🙂
Its a quote from Winston Churchill from the acceptance letter. You're saying I am in poor taste? Really? The is a school-specific thread. Not in the main forums. The message is appropriate for those that were accepted.
If you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all.
New to SDN.
I declined my acceptance.
Hope that someone who doesn't already hold an acceptance somewhere gets my seat.
I declined my acceptance.
Hope that someone who doesn't already hold an acceptance somewhere gets my seat.
Same goes to you, my friend. Also you just got accepted into Duke! Get off SDN and go celebrate with your friends!If you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all.
If you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all.
Your inability to apologize speaks volumes. When someone makes a valid criticism, you listen to them. You don't cover your ears and claim you're being attacked. You're the same guy who was bragging earlier in another thread about how you have 17 interviews, 17 acceptances.
DukeMed acceptance on Game Day. The universe has aligned perfectly, and yes, you can still go to hell Carolina 🙂
Guys can we not be the SDNers who stalk each others' histories or flaunt acceptance or get caught up in tension? We were doing
Yeah I was hoping this wouldn't turn into "that thread," but tension is at a boiling point this whole weekend...
Guys, chill the **** out...
Yeah I was hoping this wouldn't turn into "that thread," but tension is at a boiling point this whole weekend...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Look I am not going to apologize for quoting what Richard Wallace sent in the acceptance email. It was a beautiful statement from an amazing man that touched me and most likely others that got the letter. If you interviewed you know how good of a person Richard Wallace is and I thought his comment was worth sharing. Second, this is an anonymous forum on a school specific thread where something like this is appropriate.
Anyone from PCLT receive an acceptance?
Look I am not going to apologize for quoting what Richard Wallace sent in the acceptance email. It was a beautiful statement from an amazing man that touched me and most likely others that got the letter. If you interviewed you know how good of a person Richard Wallace is and I thought his comment was worth sharing. Second, this is an anonymous forum on a school specific thread where something like this is appropriate.
Conflict of interest much?
The only Wallace I'm interested in is Rasheed.
Now that I've revealed my tarheel allegiance...anything from the acceptance letter is really only appropriate for the eyes of people who have been accepted. Posting anything from the acceptance letter, regardless of the sentimental value you or anyone else may assign to it, will come across as rubbing it in the face of anyone who has yet to be accepted, either to Duke or anywhere else for that matter.
Also, as this is a school specific forum, it might be a good idea to start and develop a rapport with people. The people on this thread may be your classmates someday - probably not a good idea to walk into school with a bunch of people who don't like you already.
It's acceptance day on a game day at that. Today is about those who were blessed enough to get an offer. It's our time to celebrate. Like I'm crying at my computer screen and running around in my boxers like a maniac. I am sorry if I forgot to "censor" myself a little. You are viewing an acceptance thread to one of the most competitive schools in the country on the acceptance day and you're complaining about people celebrating? Of course it's gonna be crazy for a little bit. Damn, let us simmer down. I literally had just got the email. Lmao. Give me a break.
Yes, it's appropriate to the people who have been accepted. Thanks. That's the point I was trying to make.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K