-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
have literally been stalking my email like a neurotic maniac this past week to find out I have been placed on the alternate list.
For reference, I interviewed on 10/08.
My student interviewer said I did very well at the end of our conversation. I tripped up on one question during my faculty interview but at the end of the interview she told me I was very enthusiastic and that I would "make a great doctor".
Received bad news last week and was really, really hopeful for GW. I know it is early on in the admissions process, GW gets a huge volume of applicants a year, and that I should be grateful to have even interviewed but this **** really, really sucks.
For reference, I interviewed on 10/08.
My student interviewer said I did very well at the end of our conversation. I tripped up on one question during my faculty interview but at the end of the interview she told me I was very enthusiastic and that I would "make a great doctor".
Received bad news last week and was really, really hopeful for GW. I know it is early on in the admissions process, GW gets a huge volume of applicants a year, and that I should be grateful to have even interviewed but this **** really, really sucks.
Hi guys,
Am I understanding this correctly? Does GW ask for a $1000 deposit to hold our seat?
Am I understanding this correctly? Does GW ask for a $1000 deposit to hold our seat?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M
MrWonderful
Pardon my question, but what exactly is the alternate list?
Pardon my question, but what exactly is the alternate list?
equals wait list... 🙁
anyone know how wait list is ranked by any chance?🙄
Pardon my question, but what exactly is the alternate list?
Basically the PC term for wait-list. Apparently there is a lot of movement on GW's though.
About 29% according to US News' statsDoes anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate here?
M
MrWonderful
I have an interview here in November. GW is one of, if not my top choice. I notice a lot of people seem to say they had great interviews but landed on the wait list. Why do you guys think this is? In hindsight, is there anything you wished you'd done differently?
About 29% according to US News' stats
Thanks!
I have an interview here in November. GW is one of, if not my top choice. I notice a lot of people seem to say they had great interviews but landed on the wait list. Why do you guys think this is? In hindsight, is there anything you wished you'd done differently?
I interviewed in September and felt that my interviews went very well, but still ended up on the alternate list. The only advice I'd give is to be prepared with a nice, solid hook to draw in an interviewer who's never read your application.
Oh, and when the students come in during lunch to answer your questions, those same students are the student interviewers. With this in mind, ask questions that make you look engaged, and behave professionally.
ughhh i hope not i'm waiting from 10/3 interviewAnyone here interview in mid-September and still hear nothing back? Is there a chance GW does silent post-interview rejections? That's just cruel.
What is the likelihood of getting a II after being placed on hold? I just checked my status today, and my application has been placed on "hold for re-review at a later date".
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://m.theatlantic.com/business/a...nts-simply-because-they-were-too-poor/280769/
Haha...wonder if this applies to med school...
Haha...wonder if this applies to med school...
http://m.theatlantic.com/business/a...nts-simply-because-they-were-too-poor/280769/
Haha...wonder if this applies to med school...
Ouch.
Interviewed late September and heard back today. Alternate list 🙁
What is the likelihood of getting a II after being placed on hold? I just checked my status today, and my application has been placed on "hold for re-review at a later date".
+1 same here. I'm a bit late thanks to MCAT scores retake (complete 10/15)
Anyone here interview in mid-September and still hear nothing back? Is there a chance GW does silent post-interview rejections? That's just cruel.
hope not
Last edited:
hope not
neeevermind. finally heard today. accepted.
When did you have your interview?
Accepted.
Are lectures recorded at GW?
Yes, and they also provide annotated notes
Yes, and they also provide annotated notes
Thanks! I asked because MSAR somehow said noted are provided "on a case by case basis"
Anyone here interview in mid-September and still hear nothing back? Is there a chance GW does silent post-interview rejections? That's just cruel.
I would like to know as well! 😕
Last edited:
Been on hold/re-review since beginning of Oct. Sent an update about a new activity.
Can anyone clarify if this means that they already read my application, but didn't think it was strong enough to offer my an II, so they are thinking of looking at it later when more interview spots open up? This is what it sounds like.
Can anyone clarify if this means that they already read my application, but didn't think it was strong enough to offer my an II, so they are thinking of looking at it later when more interview spots open up? This is what it sounds like.
Been on hold/re-review since beginning of Oct. Sent an update about a new activity.
Can anyone clarify if this means that they already read my application, but didn't think it was strong enough to offer my an II, so they are thinking of looking at it later when more interview spots open up? This is what it sounds like.
This is what I imagine it to be.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/introducing-waitlist-kitteh.818375/
hilarious thread for some of my waitlisted friends here
hilarious thread for some of my waitlisted friends here
Waitlisted, boo. I'm 99% sure I'll just withdraw.
ive been on hold since mid-august...really want an interview!
Has any body that has had an interview that have not received any updates as to if you have been Accepted, Wait Listed, put On Hold or Rejected?
So I used the search function to find info about hotels in this thread, and had no luck (maybe has something to do with the forum update). The link from the school's website that lists recommended hotels isn't that good. Half of the listed ones have website links that don't work anymore.
So any cheap hotels near campus within walking distance, or a quick trip on the metro? I'm looking to spend less than $100. Nothing fancy, as long as there's a bed and wireless internet than I'm good.
I'm using online hotel search engines, but any input from the people that have already interviewed would probably be better!
So any cheap hotels near campus within walking distance, or a quick trip on the metro? I'm looking to spend less than $100. Nothing fancy, as long as there's a bed and wireless internet than I'm good.
I'm using online hotel search engines, but any input from the people that have already interviewed would probably be better!
M
MrWonderful
There is a Marriott a few blocks away. Not sure if its in your price range or not but thats where I stay in DCSo I used the search function to find info about hotels in this thread, and had no luck (maybe has something to do with the forum update). The link from the school's website that lists recommended hotels isn't that good. Half of the listed ones have website links that don't work anymore.
So any cheap hotels near campus within walking distance, or a quick trip on the metro? I'm looking to spend less than $100. Nothing fancy, as long as there's a bed and wireless internet than I'm good.
I'm using online hotel search engines, but any input from the people that have already interviewed would probably be better!
ive been on hold since mid-august...really want an interview!
+1
Does anyone know when they come out with final decisions or when they complete this "re-review" they've promised those of us who are on hold?
+2+1
Does anyone know when they come out with final decisions or when they complete this "re-review" they've promised those of us who are on hold?
What's the general concensus about hand written thank you notes vs email? Hand written is more thoughtful and personal, but an email will get there more quickly. I interviewed earlier this week and want to get mine out ASAP!
I think they're both fine, as long as you send one! Many schools don't have employee addresses readily available so email is the only option.
Has anyone who was initially put "on hold" receive an II? Kinda too lazy to look back through the thread. Submitted an update letter/LOI recently after completing back in July. Don't know if it'll help or not.
Yeah, there have been a few that went from wait list to II. Some that I could find:
just got II !
secondary complete 7/26 and was on hold since 8/9.
status online hasn't updated since email ~40 min ago
II, whoa! I was on hold for about two months, submitted in July, so there is hope 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who was initially put "on hold" receive an II? Kinda too lazy to look back through the thread. Submitted an update letter/LOI recently after completing back in July. Don't know if it'll help or not.
For those talking about getting II after being on hold for months: I got II this morning. Complete first week August, put on hold sometime early September. Have Faith!
Last edited:
I went from on hold to IIHas anyone who was initially put "on hold" receive an II? Kinda too lazy to look back through the thread. Submitted an update letter/LOI recently after completing back in July. Don't know if it'll help or not.
Does anyone know if GW sends out acceptances randomly as the review committee meets, once a month or some other set of dates like a few other schools do?
Does anyone know when they start sending out rejections? Also do they re-review in any order?