-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Rejected from pre-interview hold. GL all.
Rejected pre-interview hold as well. Would have withdraw invite anyhow. GL everyone!
Rejected pre-interview from hold. It was in my spam folder.
Rejected too, so much for that update 🙁
Sorry to hear this, guys. 🙁 Mind sharing approximately when you were complete/placed on hold?
Accepted!! MCAT: 30-33, GPA: 3.5-3.7. Interviewed on 12/18.
This is my 3rd application cycle. Don't give up guys!
This is my 3rd application cycle. Don't give up guys!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted!! MCAT: 30-33, GPA: 3.5-3.7. Interviewed on 12/18.
This is my 3rd application cycle. Don't give up guys!
Congrats!!!
Status update. Interviewed second week of January and placed on alternate list.

I didn't...I just assume it happened.For those who emailed thank you notes to the admissions office, did you get a response from them saying they forwarded the thank you note to the interviewer?
accepted today email. jan10 interview.
Interviewed 1/10/14. Accepted today via email.
What are your guys' stats if you don't mind sharing?
And congrats by the way!!😀
37/3.85What are your guys' stats if you don't mind sharing?
And congrats by the way!!😀
II just now for March 4th, completely out of nowhere! Eeek!
Congrats dude! Still on hold for re-review, glad to know there are still invites going out. Hope you kill the interview.
Same situation.Congrats dude! Still on hold for re-review, glad to know there are still invites going out. Hope you kill the interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II just now for March 4th, completely out of nowhere! Eeek!
Do you mind sharing when you were complete/put on hold for re-review?
Anyone else who recently got an II willing to share their complete/on hold for re-review/II dates? and stats?
Any info would be greatly appreciated 🙂
Thanks!
Do you mind sharing when you were complete/put on hold for re-review?
Anyone else who recently got an II willing to share their complete/on hold for re-review/II dates? and stats?
Any info would be greatly appreciated 🙂
Thanks!
I was complete mid-September and had been on hold since mid-November. I sent an update letter Jan. 18th, not sure if that played a part in getting the II though. 35/3.7 and Canadian.
Interviewed early January and placed on alternate list (notified beginning of last week).
Has anyone been rejected post-interview?
Has anyone been rejected post-interview?
is significant amount of research critical for GWU?
anybody who have been accepted could you message me tell me what you helped you stand out/acceptance?
anybody who have been accepted could you message me tell me what you helped you stand out/acceptance?
Hello guys it's my first time posting on the thread. For those who already had interview at GWU, It's my first time doing a closed file interview and I was just wondering if you guys mind sharing whether the questions they asked were really general (about yourself) or did it involve a lot of ethical questions? Thank you so much and sorry for the trouble!
Hello guys it's my first time posting on the thread. For those who already had interview at GWU, It's my first time doing a closed file interview and I was just wondering if you guys mind sharing whether the questions they asked were really general (about yourself) or did it involve a lot of ethical questions? Thank you so much and sorry for the trouble!
Your name is awesome.
Hello guys it's my first time posting on the thread. For those who already had interview at GWU, It's my first time doing a closed file interview and I was just wondering if you guys mind sharing whether the questions they asked were really general (about yourself) or did it involve a lot of ethical questions? Thank you so much and sorry for the trouble!
The beauty about a closed file interview is that you have the opportunity to control the direction of the conversation. I would recommend that you have a great "elevator pitch" for yourself containing a little bit about your background and interests. Choose interests that you are passionate about, rather than interests you think they want to hear about. Passion is a huge thing they are looking for. I was asked some tricky questions- but I wasn't asked anything random. It is highly conversational so most questions will simply be follow-up questions to what you speak about. If you take the reigns and make a strong effort to strategically speak about the things you feel confident sharing your thoughts on, it will be quite smooth. Good luck.
The beauty about a closed file interview is that you have the opportunity to control the direction of the conversation. I would recommend that you have a great "elevator pitch" for yourself containing a little bit about your background and interests. Choose interests that you are passionate about, rather than interests you think they want to hear about. Passion is a huge thing they are looking for. I was asked some tricky questions- but I wasn't asked anything random. It is highly conversational so most questions will simply be follow-up questions to what you speak about. If you take the reigns and make a strong effort to strategically speak about the things you feel confident sharing your thoughts on, it will be quite smooth. Good luck.
wow thank you so much for such a thoughtful response. Hm I guess it would be good to prepare for general question like "tell me about yourself" and try to lead the interview by mentioning key aspects within the response. Thank you again!
Wait-listed. Status changed, but I haven't received an e-mail yet...
The wording on the status: The Committee on Admissions is pleased to inform you that you have been selected... as an alternative.
I guess that's cool that the committee is pleased... I thought I was accepted at first, got all flush and excited and then finished the sentence haha.
The wording on the status: The Committee on Admissions is pleased to inform you that you have been selected... as an alternative.
I guess that's cool that the committee is pleased... I thought I was accepted at first, got all flush and excited and then finished the sentence haha.
Last edited:
Would you mind telling when you interviewed? Sorry to hear, but hope you receive some good news soon!
Wait-listed. Status changed, but I haven't received an e-mail yet...
The wording on the status: The Committee on Admissions is pleased to inform you that you have been selected... as an alternative.
I guess that's cool that the committee is pleased... I thought I was accepted at first, got all flush and excited and then finished the sentence haha.
Also make sure you prep the "strength and weakness" question, think of 2 to 3 each with examples. That's just a very common one as well. Go check out the sdn interview for GW, there're many questions there.
wow thank you so much for such a thoughtful response. Hm I guess it would be good to prepare for general question like "tell me about yourself" and try to lead the interview by mentioning key aspects within the response. Thank you again!
I received an email a few weeks ago stating that I was placed on the alternate list. I interviewed at GW on January 10th.
is there a link to the GW interview specific page? i can't seem to find itAlso make sure you prep the "strength and weakness" question, think of 2 to 3 each with examples. That's just a very common one as well. Go check out the sdn interview for GW, there're many questions there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/gwu/survey/26is there a link to the GW interview specific page? i can't seem to find it
Does anyone know more detailed information about the new curriculum? They barely mentioned it on my interview day, which gives me the sense that it's not completely planned. Is anyone else worried about being the first class using this new curriculum?
Does anyone know more detailed information about the new curriculum? They barely mentioned it on my interview day, which gives me the sense that it's not completely planned. Is anyone else worried about being the first class using this new curriculum?
I second this. Anyone have any new information on the curriculum? was any information sent to you guys who were recently accepted? how about the grading for next year?
historically they end interviewing in march.Anybody know when the last II's will be handed out?
I second this. Anyone have any new information on the curriculum? was any information sent to you guys who were recently accepted? how about the grading for next year
This is the message I received today:
The information on the revised curriculum should be available any day now. I too am impatiently waiting for final details to be signed off on. Please keep an eye on our website as all information will be posted as it becomes available. We appreciate your interest in GW.
Hello guys it's my first time posting on the thread. For those who already had interview at GWU, It's my first time doing a closed file interview and I was just wondering if you guys mind sharing whether the questions they asked were really general (about yourself) or did it involve a lot of ethical questions? Thank you so much and sorry for the trouble!
I interviewed last week and really enjoyed the closed-file format. It lets you control the interview and elevate your sales pitch, as opposed to being asked potential red-flag questions about your application or anything too tricky. I don't know what will come up at the ex-com meeting, but I tried to highlight my best points and pre-med activities that were important to me. It not only helps you be more of an effervescent speaker, but really lets you steer the direction of conversation. GL!
just found a rejection email in my spam today. It was sent a week and a half after I sent an update letter back in January (email was Jan 30). Guess they didn't like it very much!
I interviewed last week as well and loved it. Fingers crossed now!
So, maybe someone can help clarify something: the interview is closed file, but will the interviewer see your file eventually anyway? That is what I assume, but another interviewee seemed to think that both interviewers fill out a form, submit it to your file, and never see the rest of your application. Anyone have clarification here?
So, maybe someone can help clarify something: the interview is closed file, but will the interviewer see your file eventually anyway? That is what I assume, but another interviewee seemed to think that both interviewers fill out a form, submit it to your file, and never see the rest of your application. Anyone have clarification here?
Any other alternates receive an e-mail today asking you to update your portal with your information and an additional statement of interest? Could this be a sign that they anticipate early movement this year? Looking at past threads, this e-mail seems to have arrived earlier in the cycle than I anticipated. I have already sent in ~6 updates! I can't possibly think of any other ways of "stating my interest". Whatever it takes, I guess!
P.S. I guess its time to form the waitlist coalition!
P.S. I guess its time to form the waitlist coalition!
Any other alternates receive an e-mail today asking you to update your portal with your information and an additional statement of interest? Could this be a sign that they anticipate early movement this year? Looking at past threads, this e-mail seems to have arrived earlier in the cycle than I anticipated. I have already sent in ~6 updates! I can't possibly think of any other ways of "stating my interest". Whatever it takes, I guess!
P.S. I guess its time to form the waitlist coalition!
yea got that alternate list email today along with the form request. can't tell you what that means though. lol ~6 updates, wow, impressive. argh really was not hoping for a wait list decision (but then again, who is?)….dragging out stress over a long period of time, i hope i don't go bald. you sound fairly chirpy being on the wait-list….
I got that too and I never sent in any updates until now.Any other alternates receive an e-mail today asking you to update your portal with your information and an additional statement of interest? Could this be a sign that they anticipate early movement this year? Looking at past threads, this e-mail seems to have arrived earlier in the cycle than I anticipated. I have already sent in ~6 updates! I can't possibly think of any other ways of "stating my interest". Whatever it takes, I guess!
P.S. I guess its time to form the waitlist coalition!
yea got that alternate list email today along with the form request. can't tell you what that means though. lol ~6 updates, wow, impressive. argh really was not hoping for a wait list decision (but then again, who is?)….dragging out stress over a long period of time, i hope i don't go bald. you sound fairly chirpy being on the wait-list….
When did you interview? I interviewed ~5 weeks ago, haven't heard back and wasn't really expecting to until the 8 week mark, but I saw that someone here who interviewed after me got accepted already. Is this normal?
interviewed 6 wks ago if that makes you feel better. not sure if that's normal b/c i really don't know much how admission works...well pray harder for divine intervention. jk, but just wait it outWhen did you interview? I interviewed ~5 weeks ago, haven't heard back and wasn't really expecting to until the 8 week mark, but I saw that someone here who interviewed after me got accepted already. Is this normal?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When did you interview? I interviewed ~5 weeks ago, haven't heard back and wasn't really expecting to until the 8 week mark, but I saw that someone here who interviewed after me got accepted already. Is this normal?
Don't stress it. I interviewed 7 weeks ago and still no word. Like they said, 8-10 weeks. I'll go with the flow.
Any other alternates receive an e-mail today asking you to update your portal with your information and an additional statement of interest? Could this be a sign that they anticipate early movement this year? Looking at past threads, this e-mail seems to have arrived earlier in the cycle than I anticipated. I have already sent in ~6 updates! I can't possibly think of any other ways of "stating my interest". Whatever it takes, I guess!
P.S. I guess its time to form the waitlist coalition!
Yup received same email. I was surprised that they sent this in February because in other threads this was sent around April and May. Like you, I want this school.
Anyone have an idea as to how many interview dates are still open/ if GW is extending more II?
At my interview last week, our guide said they had 8 or 9 more days of interviews. Not sure if I heard it completely right, but at 3/week that seems like a reasonable end date.
At my interview last week, our guide said they had 8 or 9 more days of interviews. Not sure if I heard it completely right, but at 3/week that seems like a reasonable end date.
hopefulxox: I can't see your message in the forum, only in my email (weird), so I'll repost your question:
Thank you! Also what time exactly does the day end? They mentioned 430 in the email but is there a chance to finish earlier?
My interview day was over around 2:30. It didn't seem like a small interview group either, so I'm not sure what would usually take so long. The interviews were at scheduled times and I think all but a few were over by 2:30.