2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As is the Gonda building with the piano and choir. And definitely go to Pannekoeken for breakfast, it'll change your life for the better

Strangely there was no one playing the piano in the lobby when we were there. But it didn't matter because of the marble everywhere lol.
 
You know that's a running joke around here (specifically from last year). Where does that come from?

Lots of us just discovered who this pizza roll person is and we're surprised to find out he's one of our classmates this year! After finding out, all of us were like, "he would say that" lol
 
Last edited:
So my LORs were marked received 9/17... Silence since then. Gettin' antsy because the Mayo website says they complete interviews by mid-December. Judging from earlier in this thread, they've gotten around to reviewing early Sept. but anyone complete around my date get any news?
 
Lots of us just discovered who this pizza roll person is and we're surprised to find out he's one of our classmates this year! After finding out, all of us were like, "he would say that" lol

Lol how'd you guys figure him out?
 
So my LORs were marked received 9/17... Silence since then. Gettin' antsy because the Mayo website says they complete interviews by mid-December. Judging from earlier in this thread, they've gotten around to reviewing early Sept. but anyone complete around my date get any news?
Same date, no news. We should hear soon. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned that in earlier years Mayo has extended the interview season to January. Plus, with the AMCAS delay this year, Mayo may extend the season a little later than in previous cycles.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same date, no news. We should hear soon. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned that in earlier years Mayo has extended the interview season to January. Plus, with the AMCAS delay this year, Mayo may extend the season a little later than in previous cycles.
Oo good point about the delay. Thanks for the reply
 
So my LORs were marked received 9/17... Silence since then. Gettin' antsy because the Mayo website says they complete interviews by mid-December. Judging from earlier in this thread, they've gotten around to reviewing early Sept. but anyone complete around my date get any news?

Yea, I am in the exact same boat as you. LOR received 9/17. Solidarity. ;-)

Edit: double quoted. deleted that.
 
My LOR were received 8/19... but still haven't heard back -- no II, no rejection. Should I call or email them, or wait?
 
I read last years Mayo thread today and I think we definitely need more photoshopped pizza rolls this year.
 
Also, Earf (or other current students), I've been accepted to Mayo and if you don't mind I have a few questions..

What is the anatomy schedule and lab like? Is it in a basement? How's the ventilation?

How much freedom have you had to design your selectives - have you seen any particularly creative uses of the time?

What is the exam schedule like? Is it one test with different subjects or many test with one subject each?

Thanks for answering any of these q's!
 
My LOR were received 8/19... but still haven't heard back -- no II, no rejection. Should I call or email them, or wait?
8/19 batch here, haven't heard anything either. I would rather wait. My stats are around mayo's average, w/ extensive research (3 pubs). And I'm sitting on 7 rejections and 0 interview as for now. GL to us:luck:
 
Just got home from my Mayo interview. It was the best interview experience of the cycle thus far for me. The two interviewers were extremely nice and were actively seeking positive things to bring up during the interview and to eventually share with the rest of the AdCom. I do not have a single negative thing to say about the experience. As for those of you still waiting to hear, they confirmed yesterday that 2 interview days will be held in January to offset the AMCAS delay. They expect to have the final waitlist assembled by February. Best of luck everyone.
 
Has anyone who's interviewed recently know how many people Mayo has accepted? In past years, Marcy (the old admissions director) and Gina have told later interviewees how many people they've accepted. @kyamh, have you interviewed yet?

Ditto up at what Myrealnamelol said. Also, we were told that fewer than 1/2 of the class appointments have been sent out as of yesterday.
 
Also, Earf (or other current students), I've been accepted to Mayo and if you don't mind I have a few questions..

What is the anatomy schedule and lab like? Is it in a basement? How's the ventilation?

How much freedom have you had to design your selectives - have you seen any particularly creative uses of the time?

What is the exam schedule like? Is it one test with different subjects or many test with one subject each?

Thanks for answering any of these q's!

Of course I don't mind. Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to the Mayo fam!

The anatomy schedule is from 8:00am - 12:00pm every day. From 8:00 to about 9:00, we have a briefing session that describes the structures and function of what we'll be dissecting for the day, and then we dissect after that until about 11:30 where we come back to class and do ARS questions (board-style clicker questions). Every cadaver has a post-mortem CT scan and if they had their care at Mayo, we can view their pre-mortem scans too. Radiology is integrated every day with our dissection and this year they taught us how to read and perform common ultrasound procedures, so we have those interspersed in the afternoon at a time of your choosing. Every two weeks the TAs have a review session and practice practical where they tag the cadavers, which doesn't count towards our grade but is scored. The anatomy lab is open 24/7 for students except for when they are preparing for a practical. It is located on the 9th floor of Stabile, which is a clinical laboratory building. The ventilation is good and there are scrubs/white coats in the anatomy lab and locker room on the same floor that you can use to change since you will probably smell like formaldehyde.

There are tons of pre-made selectives (I can send you the list if you send me a PM) which have the advantage of being organized with little effort on your part but very thorough with the diversity of physicians, workshops, and things you get to do. You can get as creative as you'd like as long as it's not a sham selective such as "studying" sunbathing on the beaches of Greece. I've heard of people doing psychiatry in prisons (think about trying to treat a murderer for mental illness), some of my classmates scrubbed in for neurosurgery cases every day last week, someone shadowed the chaplain services in the hospital to learn more about spirituality and medicine, some people are riding along in ambulances and learning phlebotomy, and one of our classmates is in India right now to do some work with the nonprofit he founded. There's a health policy selective where you shadow lawyers, doctors, and congressmen, go to the Twin Cities for a town hall meeting, and then at the end of the week, you go to Washington DC to lobby state officials for a health-related change you wish you make (and have prepared remarks for). You can pretty much propose anything you'd like and the administration is pretty open minded when it comes to creative works that will enrich your medical education experience and positively impacts your future practice.

The exam schedule is usually one test per day. You always take a NBME exam and then one that the faculty created, usually on Blackboard. For histology and biochemistry, we had our biochemistry/genetics exam on Wednesday and then histology on Friday and usually it'll be like that. We also had an additional practical exam in anatomy to identify anatomical structures on the cadavers. To answer your question: it's usually many subjects with one test each, and each test is usually on a different day.

Hope this helps!
 
Ditto up at what Myrealnamelol said. Also, we were told that fewer than 1/2 of the class appointments have been sent out as of yesterday.

Fewer than half?! Hmm they must be making more methodical choices on who to accept this year... But thanks for the info guys!
 
Rejected very early this morning pre-II. 3.6/36. LORs were received 9/6.

Pretty upset, not all that surprised though. I felt like I would really thrive at Mayo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected very early this morning pre-II. 3.6/36. LORs were received 9/6.

Pretty upset, not all that surprised though. I felt like I would really thrive at Mayo.

+1. It was a great ride while it lasted. My stats were definitely not as awesome as yours though, so it was even more expected (Who knows? Maybe I'll apply here for residency 😉)
Good luck to all of you still in it!
 
Super helpful Earf! The policy selective sounds awesome and I am glad anatomy isn't in a basement.
 
Last edited:
So, when I flew into Rochester, went out to see the town, and it seemed like the sidewalks were rolled up around 7PM?? Any comments about the local atmosphere during the non summer months?? It was not like a typical University town, for sure.
 
So, when I flew into Rochester, went out to see the town, and it seemed like the sidewalks were rolled up around 7PM?? Any comments about the local atmosphere during the non summer months?? It was not like a typical University town, for sure.

Well, it's not really a university town anyways. But I know what you mean. There isn't much in the way of a night life for anyone interested in that sort of thing. There is a lot of family stuff to do though. Pretty much everyone I talked to said the same thing: "if you are looking for more variety and excitement, it's Twin Cities on the weekends." The city pretty much shuts down at 9:00 every night (even on the weekend while I was there), but during the day there are a lot of fun things to do, although you have to do some searching lol.
 
So, when I flew into Rochester, went out to see the town, and it seemed like the sidewalks were rolled up around 7PM?? Any comments about the local atmosphere during the non summer months?? It was not like a typical University town, for sure.
Well, it's not really a university town anyways. But I know what you mean. There isn't much in the way of a night life for anyone interested in that sort of thing. There is a lot of family stuff to do though. Pretty much everyone I talked to said the same thing: "if you are looking for more variety and excitement, it's Twin Cities on the weekends." The city pretty much shuts down at 9:00 every night (even on the weekend while I was there), but during the day there are a lot of fun things to do, although you have to do some searching lol.
I totally agree with myrealnamelol. I lived in Rochester for 2yrs and I would say the town isn't the best for young people. there is not much to do there...you get bored fast!
 
II just now. I really thought I was out of the running since its been so long. Thought I was done interviewing but looks like I'm not quite yet. LORs received on 09/26.
 
II just now. I really thought I was out of the running since its been so long. Thought I was done interviewing but looks like I'm not quite yet. LORs received on 09/26.

Congrats! Guess your bank account recuperated? 😉
 
Last edited:
II just now. I really thought I was out of the running since its been so long. Thought I was done interviewing but looks like I'm not quite yet. LORs received on 09/26.

Congrats!!! Hope this doesn't mean game over for those of us who have LORs received on an earlier date.
 
LOR received 8/19, but I still haven't heard anything. Anyone have any insight?

The thing about Mayo is that they have a very rigorous rolling admissions process and they end their interview season very early in December (with two or three more dates in January). It puts you at a severe disadvantage if you submit your LORs late or your AMCAS late. Last year, at around this time, over 700-800 applicants were in limbo post-LOR request because Mayo only had about 20-30 interview slots left and they were being very picky over who to invite for an interview, which is not the case earlier in the season.

Also, supposedly, only the dean of admissions decides who gets an interview so you can imagine how slow that process would be (reading one app at a time for approximately 20-30 minutes-- That amounts to over 200 hours of app reading at minimum by this point). If you haven't heard yet, you're still in the running for an interview invite because that means they are still considering your app and see something in it that they like (but are holding off a little bit to see what later applicants are bringing to the table).
 
Rejected today. Nice way to start Thanksgiving.😛 LOR received 9/17, LizzyM 70+, OOS.

Thankful that I have acceptances elsewhere. 🙂

Good luck to everyone still waiting and Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Rejected today. Nice way to start Thanksgiving.😛 LOR received 9/17, LizzyM 70+, OOS.

Thankful that I have acceptances elsewhere. 🙂

Good luck to everyone still waiting and Happy Thanksgiving!

+1 on the Thanksgiving rejection. LORs also received 9/17. So sad. Good luck to everyone still in the running!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The first one made me cry. So sweet.
The first one made me cry. So sweet.

I agree.

My wife and I were in Boston at a restaurant following an interview, and we were discussing our options; i.e. which school, location, etc individually and collectively are better for us. Regardless of the strength of the medical schools outside of Boston, we have very strong ties to the Boston area, where I also went to graduate school. So, it's been a really tough choice, because we both want what's best for each other. So, at the restaurant we decided to both take a minute (again) to really think it over (again) and then say what we wanted exclusive of what we think is best for the other; right as we were both about to name our overall choice, the waitress said to a couple sitting next to us very loudly, "Mayo?". She proved to be the tie-breaker 🙂

Will you be matriculating to Mayo?
 
I haven't decided, but Mayo is definitely high on the list of possibilities. I love the patient-centered approach and the emphasis on a humane training schedule. Selectives sound amazing; they seem like a wonderful chance to explore things about medicine that excite you and to refocus and rejuvenate you during the heavy academic years. Rochester also seems like a great place to raise kids and Mayo seems very supportive of family. I'm coming with a wife and kid so that support will be incredibly important.

I am more than a little nervous about the long seasons of dark and cold, but I won't let that be the deciding factor.

My plan is to apply for financial aid at all my top choices and then decide from there where to attend admitted student second looks - and after that I will hopefully have enough info to make a choice.
 
I haven't decided, but Mayo is definitely high on the list of possibilities. I love the patient-centered approach and the emphasis on a humane training schedule. Selectives sound amazing; they seem like a wonderful chance to explore things about medicine that excite you and to refocus and rejuvenate you during the heavy academic years. Rochester also seems like a great place to raise kids and Mayo seems very supportive of family. I'm coming with a wife and kid so that support will be incredibly important.

I am more than a little nervous about the long seasons of dark and cold, but I won't let that be the deciding factor.

My plan is to apply for financial aid at all my top choices and then decide from there where to attend admitted student second looks - and after that I will hopefully have enough info to make a choice.

Is it? I've read some stories of children of Mayo doctors, and they all seem to hate Rochester...
 
I haven't decided, but Mayo is definitely high on the list of possibilities. I love the patient-centered approach and the emphasis on a humane training schedule. Selectives sound amazing; they seem like a wonderful chance to explore things about medicine that excite you and to refocus and rejuvenate you during the heavy academic years. Rochester also seems like a great place to raise kids and Mayo seems very supportive of family. I'm coming with a wife and kid so that support will be incredibly important.

I am more than a little nervous about the long seasons of dark and cold, but I won't let that be the deciding factor.

My plan is to apply for financial aid at all my top choices and then decide from there where to attend admitted student second looks - and after that I will hopefully have enough info to make a choice.

I'm PM'ng you.