2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone emailed the admissions who are from the first batch of LOR request and not get a "LOR received" email?

I seem to recall seeing someone getting an II without getting a "LOR received" email from last year's thread. But someone assumed that it was because the applicant has pre-assigned LORs prior to the "LOR request" and Mayo just downloaded straight from AMCAS. However, this worries me because I originally pre-assigned three letters, but added two more letters within 24 hours after receiving "LOR request". So if the assumption were true, I wonder if they downloaded the two letters I added later on.


But, why haven't some of us receive the "LOR received" email yet?!?
 
Anyone emailed the admissions who are from the first batch of LOR request and not get a "LOR received" email?

I seem to recall seeing someone getting an II without getting a "LOR received" email from last year's thread. But someone assumed that it was because the applicant has pre-assigned LORs prior to the "LOR request" and Mayo just downloaded straight from AMCAS. However, this worries me because I originally pre-assigned three letters, but added two more letters within 24 hours after receiving "LOR request". So if the assumption were true, I wonder if they downloaded the two letters I added later on.


But, why haven't some of us receive the "LOR received" email yet?!?


I am not quite sure... The process might be somewhat slow...

Just sent the e-mail whether they received my LORs. I'll let you know the reply when I get it.


Rejected 20 minutes ago via email


If you don't mind me asking, can you share your stats with us? I don't have 35+ MCAT, so I am also expecting a rejection e-mail even though they requested my LORs. I just wanted to see if you and I will be on the same boat..
 
Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, can you share your stats with us? I don't have 35+ MCAT, so I am also expecting a rejection e-mail even though they requested my LORs. I just wanted to see if you and I will be on the same boat..

Doesn't Mayo have an accepted MCAT average of 33?
 
Doesn't Mayo have an accepted MCAT average of 33?


Very true.

But with my 31 MCAT with 8 verbal, I am realistically expecting to be on the same boat eventually as other rejected applicants. (I actually can't believe that I got the LOR request, which I am very thankful about, but we'll see..)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone currently at Mayo know if they do student hosts or anything? App process is getting expensive.

Yes we do do student hosting. The student representatives who were just chosen this week will email you with more instructions in the next few weeks about how to get a student host. There will most likely be an interviewee dinner the night beforehand too for you to meet some of the current students and meet your potential classmates.
 
So my payment was received on 7/4, and I still haven't received an LOR request or a rejection. I received an LOR request last year, but did not receive an II. Any ideas as to what's going on? Would they have sent an LOR request already if they were going to at all?
 
Are there any more IIs or rejections out there? or am I unnecessarily freaking out about not hearing back after 7/21's LOR Received email...? (the latter is entirely probable)
 
Do you think I could email and ask them which parts of my application was lacking? It would be nice to know so that I could maybe address them in secondaries for other schools? Does anyone know if Mayo does this? Thank you!
 
Do you think I could email and ask them which parts of my application was lacking? It would be nice to know so that I could maybe address them in secondaries for other schools? Does anyone know if Mayo does this? Thank you!

I really doubt they would take the time to respond. You are 1 of hundreds of rejections already (probably), and they have so much work to do still. I don't think they would take time out of their day to look at a rejected applicant to explain what they were lacking.

Obviously, just my opinion, I have no solid evidence.
 
Do you think I could email and ask them which parts of my application was lacking? It would be nice to know so that I could maybe address them in secondaries for other schools? Does anyone know if Mayo does this? Thank you!

Lots of schools do offer this type of feedback. I don't know what you'd have to lose by asking them...worst that can happen is that they won't tell you.
 
So my payment was received on 7/4, and I still haven't received an LOR request or a rejection. I received an LOR request last year, but did not receive an II. Any ideas as to what's going on? Would they have sent an LOR request already if they were going to at all?

Same here.
 
Lots of schools offer the feedback, but I've always seen it at the end of the cycle, not right in the heart of it. Obviously he has nthing to lose though, might as well.
 
I feel like the only person on the face of well...sdn that has not heard a peep out of mayo. Anyone with me? Anyone verified on or after 7/17 and get a fee request?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Exact same! Excited...and nervous.

I know how you feel.

vwMin.gif
 
Same, but I got my LOR request email on July 8. 😏


2nd batch LOR request. LOR just received.

I emailed them about the status last week, and they just replied that they process applications in the order they receive, so basically, don't worry about not hearing back since they will get to your app eventually.
 
I feel like the only person on the face of well...sdn that has not heard a peep out of mayo. Anyone with me? Anyone verified on or after 7/17 and get a fee request?

I haven't heard anything either and was verified on 7/18.
 
I feel like the only person on the face of well...sdn that has not heard a peep out of mayo. Anyone with me? Anyone verified on or after 7/17 and get a fee request?

My entire application was verified on June 18. However I added Mayo to my school list on July 19 and received a fee request on July 20. However no LOR request yet.
 
Hello everyone.

I just received an e-mail from MMS saying they received my application.
However, I read up in this thread that they send a second LOR request email that kind of tells you that youre in the game. I already had my LORs assigned and fee waived.

Will I be receiving any other email until the possible II email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone.

I just received an e-mail from MMS saying they received my application.
However, I read up in this thread that they send a second LOR request email that kind of tells you that youre in the game. I already had my LORs assigned and fee waived.

Will I be receiving any other email until the possible II email?

Yup! Here's the first paragraph of the LOR request email:

"Thank you for your application to Mayo Medical School. To continue the review of your application, we request that you submit letters of reference. Please note that if you have sent your letters to AMCAS prior to receiving this notification, you do not need to resend them. This email is letting you know that we will now begin retrieving your letters."
 
I received the LOR request email last night at 12:30 AM. Weird time.

Also, I have a question for anyone that has submitted their letter. The email says 'Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference.' I have had my letters into AMCAS for two months now and I did no have any letter writers add my AMCAS identification number. How critical is this?

Thanks!
 
I received the LOR request email last night at 12:30 AM. Weird time.

Also, I have a question for anyone that has submitted their letter. The email says 'Please ask your letter writers to include your AMCAS identification number on all letters of reference.' I have had my letters into AMCAS for two months now and I did no have any letter writers add my AMCAS identification number. How critical is this?

Thanks!

If AMCAS got your letters, its probably not critical. I wouldn't worry about it.
 
Thats what I was thinking. Thanks.

You can call AMCAS and ask them. As long as you don't ask them for the content of the letter, I believe they are allowed to tell you basics like if there is an AMCAS id on the letter, appropriate university letterhead, etc.