2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys,

Having observed a few folks posting about campus preference I would just like to caution everyone not to get their hearts set on anything. CHM tries to get everyone to their preferred campus, however, space at each is limited. This past year we had a wait list of almost 40 students above and beyond the allocated 100 that wanted to attend the Grand Rapids campus. Both campuses are great just keep that in mind as you move forward with your MSU applications and best of luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I wanted to take this chance and write out some thoughts about the interview day I recently attended. I met at least one other applicant who admitted to being an SDN addict, so hello to you :)

The interview day was the first of the school year and consisted of only IS students (though that fact seemed to come as a surprise to at least one adcom). Moreover, the majority of applicants came from MSU undergrad, so for those waiting on an II, your 'pile' probably hasn't come up yet.

My favorite memory of my interview was the realization that all the current students were genuinely happy. I don't just mean the students who signed up for the admissions jobs, I mean the students studying and walking around. Everyone I saw looked happy, relatively unstressed, they were talking to their friends, making plans for the weekend, etc. Most students I saw walking around seemed to know one another. My lunch-time student rep knew 7/8 of the CHM students who interviewed the applicants at my table. Clearly, the stated commitment to fostering a community among the students is true in practise.

There were 40 applicants interviewing during my day. 1/2 of the students completed their MMI interviews in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. Overall, the day felt very long. I heard several applicants comment on this as well (I don't have any sense for this since it was my first interview). That said, the presentations were relatively short and very informative. I had wished that they spent more than 15 minutes talking about the research opportunities, but it seems to me that the focus of this school really isn't on prolonged research (although the satistic is that 90% of MSU students are involved in research). They must mean that many students do a research project over the first summer but far fewer do any research during the year.

The curriculum presentation was pretty standard. Most of the information is available online. Since there are two campuses (GR and EL) for the pre-clinical curriculum, the students only get 1/2 of their lectures live during the first two years and the other 1/2 of the lectures are broadcasted live into the classroom. The point of this system is to give the GR and EL students the same academic experience. While I was a little put off by the idea of not having 1/2 of my lecturers in the same city as the class (granted, I went to a small liberal arts college so I am pretty spoiled), none of the current CHM students were unhappy with the system. Most of the students I talked to didn't attend most of the lectures anyway and instead chose to watch the recordings at 2x speed.

The interview consisted of a 20 minute traditional interview with a student and the MMI. All the applicants I talked to had similar experiences during the student interview - their student was really engaging and sounded very pleased to be at MSU but there was too little time. Unfortunately, we were primarily interviewed by M1 students, so at least my interviewer had little to say about the school this early in the year. MMI went along fine. There was a good mix of all types of interview questions you may expect. Before coming, I read through the original article published about MMI and got a pretty good idea about what I may encounter. There was a range of interviewers - from very friendly to very cold - and I had a mix of very solid stations and very shaky stations. The MMI section lasts over an hour and a half, but seemed to pass very quickly. There were two well-spaced break stations that I appreciated.

In general, I was very impressed with the types of students who came out to the interview. While I didn't know anything about their academic accomplishments, everyone was very friendly and outgoing. No one was particularly shy or ineloquent and everyone asked very thoughtful questions. The current CHM students did a good job of making the applicants feel at ease.

I may comment about MSU again after I attend another interview and get a little bit of perspective.

Good luck :luck:

^Hit it on the nail! I'm pretty sure CHM specifically chose applicants who they felt were outgoing, they mentioned that they were a teamwork-based school during the interview day and prefered those types over "gunners". I enjoyed that, everyone felt very friendly and intelligent, and no one felt mean or trying to pretend anything. This pool felt like it connected very well, and CHM in general did a good job of making everyone feel less stressed. Definitely a very enjoyable experience.

The student interviews I felt were much more relaxing than the MMIs, as well as being easier, although as you said I also felt that they were pretty short. I still got to talk a good amount with my student though, and I think/hope that I shined through enough there. MMIs are incredibly unpredictable, although I think it allows for better examination of an applicant. If anything though, I feel more prepared for any future MMIs, although of course there's no telling what subjects another school would do...

Last edited:
How much input does the student interviewer have on your admission? I'm having trouble seeing the value of being interviewed by someone who has been at the school for a month.

AFAIK he or she seems to have decent input, students do have a vote on the admissions committee. I don't think its marginalized or anything.

AFAIK he or she seems to have decent input, students do have a vote on the admissions committee. I don't think its marginalized or anything.

actually i think they said they DONT have a vote but they have a voice and those who do have a vote highly value what the students have to say

but overall...loved CHM and the current students! the applicants were all great, MMI was a little tougher but also more fun than i expected. Definitely feel like i have some strong and some pretty shaky stations but it seems a lot of people felt that way!

That is correct, none of the student interviewers have a vote on the adcom, however, your student interview is given similar weight as other aspects of your applications.

actually i think they said they DONT have a vote but they have a voice and those who do have a vote highly value what the students have to say

but overall...loved CHM and the current students! the applicants were all great, MMI was a little tougher but also more fun than i expected. Definitely feel like i have some strong and some pretty shaky stations but it seems a lot of people felt that way!

Oh, true, my mistake - glad you caught that. Glad to hear you enjoyed it; it was a good experience!

for those who were interviewed, did you have to stay for 7-8 mins in each station or you could just walk out of the room soon after you delivered your thoughts?

for those who were interviewed, did you have to stay for 7-8 mins in each station or you could just walk out of the room soon after you delivered your thoughts?

You stay for the whole 8 minutes. There are a few PA announcements that go off: 30 seconds until you enter the room, when you enter the room, one minute before your time is up, and when you have to move on. You are not allowed to leave early. For me that was never an issue: the interviewers always had more than enough follow-up questions to fill the time.

Found this on the MSU CHM site in case anyone is interested :) Haven't attended the interview yet so maybe they already tell you this there.

2013-14 Admission Decision Release Dates

October 1, 2013 (EDP ONLY)
October 16, 2013
October 30, 2013
November 13, 2013
December 4, 2013
December 11, 2013
December 18, 2013
January 15, 2014
January 29, 2014
February 5, 2014
February 26, 2014
March 12, 2014
March 26, 2014
April 2, 2014
April 16, 2014
April 23, 2014

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have been in review for almost a month and not have heard back, or then hear back positively? I'ts been a bit over a month in review for me.

Is it too late to add Michigan State? I really appreciate their holistic approach to selecting people and I think that honestly makes for a more well rounded, fun, collaborative class- one I'd totally want to be a part of. However, I'm OOS, and its basically October. Thoughts?

Also, I'm frightened by these LOR requirements, especially as a non-trad. I don't know how to cover all these bases or whether they are covered by the current letters I have.

Anyone have been in review for almost a month and not have heard back, or then hear back positively? I'ts been a bit over a month in review for me.

I was forwarded for preliminary review exactly a month ago and I have not heard back yet. Although I believe there will be a status change no matter what so I dont think its necessarily bad if you are still in review. They said the status would change to either "Hold for rejection", "hold for interview" or "interview offered".

Hey guys, I'm currently a third year student in GR. I just wanted to comment on research opportunities here.

My first year the GR campus was still relatively new and the system for setting up research opportunities was shaky. Toward the end of the year CHM hired a full-time research director, Dr. Mark Trottier. He's now been working for almost 2 years and I think he has really made a difference.

I would venture to guess that over half of my class was involved with some sort of research during the school year last year (our second year). I personally spent the whole year working on a pediatrics project with a physician from Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. I presented my work orally at two regional conferences and via poster at one large national conference. This year I am currently working on two ophthalmology projects, continuing to work on a peds project with the same pediatrician I worked with last year, and also looking for a case report or two to write up.

During third year research is part of the required curriculum. You will likely do this in a group of students. Dr. Trottier helps students find local mentors if they are unable to find them on their own.

The summer between first and second year is a good time to squeeze in a research project, and CHM facilitates this by offering scholarships for oncology research. These are usually associated with the Van Andel Institute or the Lemen-Holten Cancer Pavilion. My roommate received one of these awesome scholarships this past summer and she had a good experience.

Additionally, one of the more well-known cardiologists in town recently met with all of the third year students to invite us to work with him (and other physicians at the Meijer Heart Center) on some really cool case reports. They currently have quite a few patients who are very unique to the literature and they REALLY want MSU students to be involved in writing up case reports!

Finally, MSU recently purchased another building in downtown GR, right next door to the Secchia Center. It will become a biomedical research facility. MSU has also been actively recruiting NIH-funded principle investigators to come to GR (and there are MSU CHM billboards all over town to share the news!) and will continue to recruit more once this new research facility is finished. Many of these researchers are involved in Parkinson's research.

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/m...-up-on-proposed-biomedical-research-facility/

TL;DR Lots of research opportunities in GR. Love my school.

Is it too late to add Michigan State? I really appreciate their holistic approach to selecting people and I think that honestly makes for a more well rounded, fun, collaborative class- one I'd totally want to be a part of. However, I'm OOS, and its basically October. Thoughts?

Also, I'm frightened by these LOR requirements, especially as a non-trad. I don't know how to cover all these bases or whether they are covered by the current letters I have.

It is not too late.

Pretty late in the game and unfortunately, I don't have the stats to back up a late app :/ Congrats to all who have received interviews! And thanks to the current students who provided some helpful information about MSU and their experiences.

Praying for some IS/late app/lowish stats love, although I'm well aware that my odds of winning the mega millions may be just as high, if not higher at this point. Oh well, worth a shot since I love their mission and could see myself fitting in very well!

I understand there's more than one correct way to answer open-ended questions, but I'd like to ensure my essay topic isn't off the wall. So for the third question, "what would you make sure adcoms knew about you", do you guys think it's reasonable to write about an interesting life-long hobby (which isn't related to medicine in any way, shape or form)??

I'm just sort of reluctant to write some cliche-sounding sentiment about why I want to go to MSU for the third essay since my other two essays are based on experiences which implicitly suggest this and how I would fit in.

Pretty late in the game and unfortunately, I don't have the stats to back up a late app :/ Congrats to all who have received interviews! And thanks to the current students who provided some helpful information about MSU and their experiences.

Praying for some IS/late app/lowish stats love, although I'm well aware that my odds of winning the mega millions may be just as high, if not higher at this point. Oh well, worth a shot since I love their mission and could see myself fitting in very well!

I understand there's more than one correct way to answer open-ended questions, but I'd like to ensure my essay topic isn't off the wall. So for the third question, "what would you make sure adcoms knew about you", do you guys think it's reasonable to write about an interesting life-long hobby (which isn't related to medicine in any way, shape or form)??

I'm just sort of reluctant to write some cliche-sounding sentiment about why I want to go to MSU for the third essay since my other two essays are based on experiences which implicitly suggest this and how I would fit in.

With regards to your question about your third essay: I say go for it. Get the adcom so interested in you that they want to interview you.

Best wishes!

Congrats! What date were you originally forwarded for preliminary review? Did they call or contact by email?

Thank you! I was forwarded to prelim on 9/25 then received an email this afternoon.

Yikes.. I've been forwarded for review since 8/28 and no word. Not thinking that it's looking good :(

I wouldn't fret too much, Barbie. I was looking through last years thread and there were people that hadn't heard anything for 3months+ that ended up receiving interview invites. Are you IS or OS?

I wouldn't fret too much, Barbie. I was looking through last years thread and there were people that hadn't heard anything for 3months+ that ended up receiving interview invites. Are you IS or OS?

I am IS. That's good then.. I need to be more patient haha. My status hasn't changed at all so I hope that means I am still being reviewed since it seems like they update It if someone is rejected or put on hold.

Yeah, it's still early on in the cycle, so you've got lots of time. Do you mind me asking what your stats are?

Oh yeah, well if you've got some good volunteer experience with those stats, I wouldn't worry much at all.

I do have volunteer experience, but not as much as everyone I've been seeing on here which worries me. I have between 2000-3000 paid clinical experience however, I just don't know if that weighs the same for the msu admissions.

You're probably fine, PreMedBarbie, you sound like a good candidate to me :thumbup:

Thank you! Appreciate it..majorly impatient and paranoid over here!

:laugh: I'm waiting on my verification to be done (should be today or Monday).. I've already pre-written the secondary, but I'm not expecting too much. My stats are much lower than yours :thumbdown:. And I'm OOS (technically)

Hi guys, just got verified on Monday and got my secondary. There is one question that I am not very clear on what it is really asking me. I might have been interpreting it wrong.:confused: Could someone give me some help please?

4) What are the advantages of using a public health approach to maximize individual and population health status? (350 words)

Does this question mean using public funding for health care services such as free clinics, research, mobile clinics, health fair ect? what does it mean by population health status? Does it mean that the problem that most people are facing or I have to focus on the health problem that a certain minority group is facing?

I definitely interpreted it wrong. Thank you in advance guys, and good luck to you all.

Google the principles of public health and go from there. I think your interpretation of the question is a way of getting to know you. They want to know your thoughts, not anyone else's. Good luck!

Hi guys, just got verified on Monday and got my secondary. There is one question that I am not very clear on what it is really asking me. I might have been interpreting it wrong.:confused: Could someone give me some help please?

4) What are the advantages of using a public health approach to maximize individual and population health status? (350 words)

Does this question mean using public funding for health care services such as free clinics, research, mobile clinics, health fair ect? what does it mean by population health status? Does it mean that the problem that most people are facing or I have to focus on the health problem that a certain minority group is facing?

I definitely interpreted it wrong. Thank you in advance guys, and good luck to you all.

Good luck medicines. Report back tomorrow with how it went. I'm definitely interested!

It was an amazing day. Both the MMI and the student interview were laid-back. Just be honest with them, and u should be fine

So very excited about this school. Just interviewed Friday and couldn't be more impressed. I wish I wasn't OOS... Pick me! :)

Is anyone applying for the LMU or LRM programs?
Apparently you are only considered for those programs after your acceptance to LMU/LRU, but since my application is explicitly for underserved/rural, I figure I would screw myself if I didn't apply to the programs...

Do we have the option to decline those programs, if we get considered for them, after acceptance?

Is anyone applying for the LMU or LRM programs?
Apparently you are only considered for those programs after your acceptance to LMU/LRU, but since my application is explicitly for underserved/rural, I figure I would screw myself if I didn't apply to the programs...

Do we have the option to decline those programs, if we get considered for them, after acceptance?

I'm sure we do. At the interview the admissions officer said you're considered for acceptance first, then in like Feb or March all accepted applicants who applied for LMU or LRM are considered for those programs by a separate committee. I somehow missed that LMU scholars must live in Flint for their clinical years, and for family reasons I'm hoping not to have to move for my clinical years. So, I haven't decided yet, but if I do decide to withdraw from the LMU application process, I'm going to tell them right after I'm accepted (IF I'm accepted!!) so they can consider other applicants instead.

I'm sure we do. At the interview the admissions officer said you're considered for acceptance first, then in like Feb or March all accepted applicants who applied for LMU or LRM are considered for those programs by a separate committee. I somehow missed that LMU scholars must live in Flint for their clinical years, and for family reasons I'm hoping not to have to move for my clinical years. So, I haven't decided yet, but if I do decide to withdraw from the LMU application process, I'm going to tell them right after I'm accepted (IF I'm accepted!!) so they can consider other applicants instead.

:thumbup:

I will do the same, then. Thank you.

And let's be optimistic :thumbup: :D

For the third question, about the AdComs and what you want them to know, is it appropriate to mention a subpar MCAT section?
I mentioned that my score on VR does not limit my ability to become an excellent physician, but should I also mention why my score is so poor? I really don't have a good reason, besides not adequately preparing/test day circumstance (I f*cked up and left the testing center, they told me they would report and might have to void, but I don't really believe that's why I did so dismally)