2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all of you applying. I will be applying here this cycle as well. I'm a current undergrad student here so if you have any questions about the East Lansing area, i'll try to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I deferred my 2013 spot so I will be in your guys' class in August 2014. After having gone thru the 2013 cycle, I can tell you that it's a challenge to apply to MSU, but it's definitely worth it.

Good luck, 2014 applicants!

I deferred my 2013 spot so I will be in your guys' class in August 2014. After having gone thru the 2013 cycle, I can tell you that it's a challenge to apply to MSU, but it's definitely worth it.

Good luck, 2014 applicants!

Oh no, challenging how? Haha.

Applying IS! :) Their GR campus, especially, seems great.

Oh no, challenging how? Haha.

MSU wants students that are the best fit and not necessarily the ones with the best stats. Good luck to all. I am finishing my first year and I love it here. :)

MSU wants students that are the best fit and not necessarily the ones with the best stats. Good luck to all. I am finishing my first year and I love it here. :)

Awesome. Which campus are you?

I'll be at Grand Rapids. But both are good places, I hear. :)

Is it worth it to apply here from California with a 3.8/30?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my ECs are decent. Thanks for the advice! I will certainly apply!

Yeah no prob. I talked with some of their med students one time while volunteering and they told me to get your secondary in ASAP. One of them was from Cali. :)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...but I was wondering if any current MSU CHM students have advice about whether to choose the GR campus vs. the EL campus? Is there a different overall personality or vibe for either campus?

I know the basic differences like the newer facilities at GR and the Big 10 atmosphere for EL, but I was hoping for some insight on what it's actually like to be part of the student body.

Did you make friends/study together? Are there really more married people and families at GR who stick to themselves? (A rumor I was told).

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...but I was wondering if any current MSU CHM students have advice about whether to choose the GR campus vs. the EL campus? Is there a different overall personality or vibe for either campus?

I know the basic differences like the newer facilities at GR and the Big 10 atmosphere for EL, but I was hoping for some insight on what it's actually like to be part of the student body.

Did you make friends/study together? Are there really more married people and families at GR who stick to themselves? (A rumor I was told).

I never heard this rumor, but the one person I personally knew who went to State's MD actually was married with a baby, haha.

I never heard this rumor, but the one person I personally knew who went to State's MD actually was married with a baby, haha.

Haha. I'm married with children and am going to the GR campus. I don't know if the rumor is true though. I've seen both types of students--married, single--at both campuses.

Hey guys,

Canadian applicant here. I applied to MSU last year but did not get an interview.

Here are my stats:
cGPA = 3.89, sGPA=3.89, MCAT = 33 R (10PS/10VR/13BS)
ECs = 3 years of research, 2 conference presentations, 1 manuscript/paper contribution, 3 years of leadership/executive work (2 different positions) as a student mentor, 3 semesters/courses worth of TA-ing, over 3 years of volunteer work in the hospital (2 different departments), have scholarships and awards, and many other short/medium-term activities (volunteering in a clinic, fundraising, tutoring, employment)

So my question is whether or not it's worth it to apply here again? I think last year my application was a bit late. Hoping to send in my primary within the next week or two. Do you guys think I have a decent shot here?

Yes. But also depends on your EC's and story. MSUCHM loves non-trads and hard workers.

Does this mean that this would be a school that would be okay me with having fewer volunteer hours because I work to pay for all of my school and living expenses? I have over 5,000 hours working in one position and an addition 1000 in a leadership position that includes teaching biology.

Does this mean that this would be a school that would be okay me with having fewer volunteer hours because I work to pay for all of my school and living expenses? I have over 5,000 hours working in one position and an addition 1000 in a leadership position that includes teaching biology.

I hope so, because I applied and those are almost identical to my stats :)

In my opinion, consider how this fits with the school's mission. CHM is very mission-focused and I think that helps out all applicants to this school. So you know if this is the school for you, and they know if you are the student for them.

Just got an email saying they will be sending email for secondaries next week.

Besides knowing the differences between cities and general feel for each of the campuses, this is impossible to answer because each class is different. There could be no families in the next incoming class (unlikely, but possible). I know in the class of 2016 there are more married couples and families than usual, but I don't think anyone feels left out, or like they're lacking study buddies. There's a camaraderie that happens in med school, or at least with our class at CHM. You're all kind of "in it" together, and friendships are made quickly- partially to help each other study, but also to commiserate. Friends and family may not understand this part of your life, but your med school friends certainly will. So, pick a campus based on where you want to live for two years and don't worry about too many married couples, or not enough, or whatever because you can't predict the demographics of every class.

+2

But having a hard time getting this account going, lol. I find it funny that you have to pay first.

+2

But having a hard time getting this account going, lol. I find it funny that you have to pay first.

It won't verify my account. It doesn't tell me why or how to fix it, just that it failed. ARG.

+2

:thumbup:

I wonder if the essays are difficult? I'll have to wait until my next pay check to do this one. Extremely excited to get rolling with MSU. :)

It won't verify my account. It doesn't tell me why or how to fix it, just that it failed. ARG.

So I called because I had time and they said it's a bigger issue and they're working on it...

Besides knowing the differences between cities and general feel for each of the campuses, this is impossible to answer because each class is different. There could be no families in the next incoming class (unlikely, but possible). I know in the class of 2016 there are more married couples and families than usual, but I don't think anyone feels left out, or like they're lacking study buddies. There's a camaraderie that happens in med school, or at least with our class at CHM. You're all kind of "in it" together, and friendships are made quickly- partially to help each other study, but also to commiserate. Friends and family may not understand this part of your life, but your med school friends certainly will. So, pick a campus based on where you want to live for two years and don't worry about too many married couples, or not enough, or whatever because you can't predict the demographics of every class.

Thanks so much for your response! I have pretty much been coming to the same conclusion myself in the last few weeks, so your affirmation really helped to cement that feeling. :) My gut has been telling me GR and I think I'm going to tentatively go with it!

Anyone know the essay questions?

Here are the prompts, 350 words each:

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience.

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you?

Current students: Does anybody know if it's possible to apply to the special programs (LMU/LRM) later on or do you absolutely have to apply now?

Current students: Does anybody know if it's possible to apply to the special programs (LMU/LRM) later on or do you absolutely have to apply now?

You can apply later. If you're invited to interview, they will give you the option to apply to the special programs after the interview.

Here are the prompts, 350 words each:

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience.

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you?

Thanks!

You can apply later. If you're invited to interview, they will give you the option to apply to the special programs after the interview.

Thank you! :) I'm interested but wanted to speak with some students I know. Oh, another random question if you have answers. Are there any resources to work on your Spanish at MSU? The underserved track requires solid conversational Spanish and I felt like I was finally getting there until my courses ended, lol.

Hoping to get some love this year from MSU! Good luck all :)

Thank you! :) I'm interested but wanted to speak with some students I know. Oh, another random question if you have answers. Are there any resources to work on your Spanish at MSU? The underserved track requires solid conversational Spanish and I felt like I was finally getting there until my courses ended, lol.

This would be a good question for current students. I am wondering the same thing actually. Current students, does CHM have a medical Spanish elective? I think I have heard that they do but I just wanted to check.

I was accepted to the LMU program and was planning to improve my Spanish proficiency by having more conversations with my Spanish-speaking family, working with a Spanish language tutor, and traveling to Spanish-speaking countries in my free time. I made sure to clearly list these learning methods in my application as well. That would be my advice.

This would be a good question for current students. I am wondering the same thing actually. Current students, does CHM have a medical Spanish elective? I think I have heard that they do but I just wanted

I was accepted to the LMU program and was planning to improve my Spanish proficiency by having more conversations with my Spanish-speaking family, working with a Spanish language tutor, and traveling to Spanish-speaking countries in my free time. I made sure to clearly list these learning methods in my application as well. That would be my advice.

Yes, there is an elective and chances to speak Spanish

Preliminary review email received

Got mine also. They have mine on hold until after the MCAT score comes in from the one I am taking next Thursday... Oh crap I have to take the MCAT again next Thursday. :eek: