2013-2014 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I woke up this morning with 1 missed call and 1 missed voicemail, only to have it be my friend asking me a chemistry question! My heart skipped a beat.
 
They're sending out calls now! Confirmed from their twitter page!

"Starting to make offers (calls). Interviewees from Aug 30, Sep 6 & 13 are in pool. Most from Sep 27 are too. Some from Oct 4."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to you all!! Must be an amazing feeling 🙂 hopefully it's not too late to still hear good news today, I've been watching my phone like a hawk!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to you all!! Must be an amazing feeling 🙂 hopefully it's not too late to still hear good news today, I've been watching my phone like a hawk!

Congrats everyone! I think they are doing some more calls tomorrow per their twitter feed...not sure if this includes all interview dates though. I interviewed 8/30 and hope that those interviewees will also be considered tomorrow!
 
Congrats everyone! I think they are doing some more calls tomorrow per their twitter feed...not sure if this includes all interview dates though. I interviewed 8/30 and hope that those interviewees will also be considered tomorrow!
I interviewed 9/6 and hope that they include those interviewees as well. Good luck to everyone!
 
Haha congrats to everyone with good news. I'm unfortunately on the other side, rejected today.
IS
GPA: 3.6-3.8
MCAT 36-38
Normal Extracirriculars and Letters of Rec
 
Haha congrats to everyone with good news. I'm unfortunately on the other side, rejected today.
IS
GPA: 3.6-3.8
MCAT 36-38
Normal Extracirriculars and Letters of Rec

Was the rejection via email? I didn't get a phone call or email so i'm thinking waitlist
 
Finally submitted my secondary to this school. I know it's late in the game, but this whole process seems so random anyway, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
From what everyone is saying, it seems like a really great place! Congrats to all who have already been accepted, and best of luck to all those still waiting!!
 
Rejected. OOS 3.9+/31. Good luck to the rest of you! I've heard nothing but good things about this school!
 
So, I just received a call from an MS1 here trying to encourage me to complete their secondary application.

Anyone else receive this phone call?
 
I have a question about the secondary. In the required coursework area it says check yes or no if you have complete this. What if you are going to complete it before you matriculate, do you still check yes?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview for this school in November. I recently got accepted at Rosalind Franklin. I am not sure how I should compare the two and if I should still go to the interview. Can anyone tell me the best way to compare the schools? I am tight on budget, so just want to save some money. Thanks!
 
Sorry pretty late, but ACCEPTED!!!!! (well I got the call like a couple weeks ago). But quick question, is everyone adding the facebook group? Is there any important information on it? Sorry my facebook is currently deactivated. THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES!!!!
 
I have an interview for this school in November. I recently got accepted at Rosalind Franklin. I am not sure how I should compare the two and if I should still go to the interview. Can anyone tell me the best way to compare the schools? I am tight on budget, so just want to save some money. Thanks!

I haven't interviewed at CMS, but I did interview at OU. I predict some differences might lie in the hospital systems affiliated with the schools (OU has a single system they try to rotate people in that is very well known in the area; not sure about CMS) and the areas (I only know that CMS is Chicago-based but not how close to the city it is located while OU is located in a very nice suburb). Another thing: Is CMS affiliated with an undergrad? The OU campus has a nice, quiet feel but is set on the UG main campus so you get all of the amenities.

Edit: Also, where are you from? Unless you're from the Chicago area, I might not stop yet. OU was quite impressive in my opinion.
 
anyone else waiting/hoping for a call??? they haven't updated twitter which is annoying
 
I haven't interviewed at CMS, but I did interview at OU. I predict some differences might lie in the hospital systems affiliated with the schools (OU has a single system they try to rotate people in that is very well known in the area; not sure about CMS) and the areas (I only know that CMS is Chicago-based but not how close to the city it is located while OU is located in a very nice suburb). Another thing: Is CMS affiliated with an undergrad? The OU campus has a nice, quiet feel but is set on the UG main campus so you get all of the amenities.

Edit: Also, where are you from? Unless you're from the Chicago area, I might not stop yet. OU was quite impressive in my opinion.

CMS doesn't have an undergrad and the school is about 40 mins from actual Chicago. It is also located in the suburbs. I am from not from Chicago and that is why I am confused. Thank for your opinion though!
 
CMS doesn't have an undergrad and the school is about 40 mins from actual Chicago. It is also located in the suburbs. I am from not from Chicago and that is why I am confused. Thank for your opinion though!

Oh, okay. I tend to compare finances in these cases (for myself) as that's really going to affect my ultimate choice. So according to MSAR, OU is actually about 4k per year cheaper than CMS. That's not a big enough difference to be earth shattering or decision making.

If you'd consider moving out of state (or want to, even), I'd take the interview if you see finances ultimately swaying your opinion because you never quite know. (I myself would go most anyway based on financial aid decisions.) The trip is only 4-5 hours in the car (so driveable to save money).
 
They were up to decisions for all of 10/4 and half of 10/16. Your decision should have been made by now -- I'd give them a call?

Don't they have a master list with all applicants in no chronological order? Still, it is stressful that I haven't heard an answer given that I was in the first cycle =[
 
Don't they have a master list with all applicants in no chronological order? Still, it is stressful that I haven't heard an answer given that I was in the first cycle =[

I thought they do go in chronological order but they accept the people they outright like and then the maybes get constantly reviewed after each meeting until the very end, after which, everyone left is either rejected or put on a waitlist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interviewed on 10/11 . Didn't hear back yet. Some people who interviewed the same day got accepted already. How often does Oakland call?
 
Got the call yesterday! 🙂

I really loved OUWB on interview day. Great facilities, great atmosphere, and very friendly people.