2013-2014 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everyone!

gonna seem like a weird question, but for the second look day, I know they said business casual for the attire....but would showing up in a polo/khaki pants/ dress shoes be okay? or are more people gonna show up in a shirt and tie/dress pants and shoes?

it's May, so it'll be hot, but at the same time, i'm not 100% sure....just don't wanna look out of place lol
 
Haha, it's not gonna be that hot trust me. I'm still not sure but I'll probably err on the side of more formal, blazer no tie probably.
 
Hey I was just wondering if any current students could comment on the study time for Step 1. I had read in older threads that students were afforded less time to study for Step 1 because they had to take the exam before starting CRASH (so they had to take the test in April). Is this still the case? Thank you!
 
Has anyone received anything incoming students need to do (or other information) other than financial aid? After I got my package and the second look day info, I haven't gotten anything else!


Posted using SDN Mobile
 
Hey I was just wondering if any current students could comment on the study time for Step 1. I had read in older threads that students were afforded less time to study for Step 1 because they had to take the exam before starting CRASH (so they had to take the test in April). Is this still the case? Thank you!
False. We have always gotten like 7 full weeks, which is pretty standard I believe.

Most people study 3.5 to 4 or so weeks no matter where they go. This is absolutely adequate for most students (barring health complications/ life events and extensions were granted as needed).

tldr; Boards scores are basically at the national average of 227 no matter the medical schools. Your score is on you (I firmly believe this, and I'm a new M3, with Step 1 score in hand).
 
Just noticed the tuition/fee info available for Rush is for 2012-2013. Anyone heard about an updated 2014-2015 projection/fact sheet/something for tuition?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! How were you notified? Email? Phone call? I'm waitlisted as well so I'm definitely happy to already see movement.
Thank you so much! I got a call from Jill -- she left a voicemail telling me to call her back and I got the good news when I called back! It seems like the waitlist is definitely moving, so don't give up!
 
Are Rush students more go-to-class type of people? Or do they have the material set up for computer learning?
 
Could someone tell me the gym situation for incoming M1's at Rush? Particularly competitive basketball courts. I feel like I heard something about Rush building their own new gym during my interview, but don't quite know the timeline/details for that, or the details about the current situation. Any info is helpful, thanks.
 
Could someone tell me the gym situation for incoming M1's at Rush? Particularly competitive basketball courts. I feel like I heard something about Rush building their own new gym during my interview, but don't quite know the timeline/details for that, or the details about the current situation. Any info is helpful, thanks.

Yes, the gym will be opening soon (like 2014, not sure of the month). There will NOT be basketball courts though. There are floorplans circulating the internet, ask in the FB group and I'm sure an M2 can find it.

UIC gym does have courts, and I'm sure there are outdoor courts as well/ Chicago park district courts.
 
Are Rush students more go-to-class type of people? Or do they have the material set up for computer learning?
Rising M2 here. About 1/3 of my class went to class the second semester. The rest Panopto (video recordings of lectures) at their leisure. There were times when they had technology problems, so more ppl started going to class to get the full experience. of course at the beginning of the year, everyone (or most ppl) went, but depending on your learning style, whatever works the best for you.
 
does anybody know what edition of the iPad we're receiving as part of our tuition fees? and I'm curious, what happens with people who already own iPads? do they just end up owning two?
 
does anybody know what edition of the iPad we're receiving as part of our tuition fees? and I'm curious, what happens with people who already own iPads? do they just end up owning two?

The Student I stayed with as a host during my interviews told me that it was part of his tuition and he already had an iPad but they gave him one anyways and weren't able to lessen the tuition by whatever that cost was..
 
Hey random question about 3rd year. So I heard grading is roughly 30% honors, 20% high pass, 50% pass - but is this out of the group of ~8-20 people on the same rotation? Or determined at the end of the year compared to everyone else?
 
Hey random question about 3rd year. So I heard grading is roughly 30% honors, 20% high pass, 50% pass - but is this out of the group of ~8-20 people on the same rotation? Or determined at the end of the year compared to everyone else?

20% honors / 30% high pass / 50% pass, and it should be based on past experience of typical third year performance and not on your specific rotation cohort.
 
Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I'm on the wait list this year for Rush and although I have an acceptance elsewhere I'm very interested in going to Rush. Im looking for advice from wait listed ppl who found their way in. Did you write a letter of intent to Rush last year? Did it help? Thanks!