2013-2014 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does RUSH update the online statuses for people post interview? For some reason mine still says the date I was scheduled to interview (which was a while back). Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone who interviewed March 5th remember if they said that we would probably find out this week or next week?

I remember Jill saying March 14th. Does that sound right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to y'all!!! I know I'll regret saying this 8 months from now, but I can't wait for classes to begin and this new chapter of life to start!

Reactions: 1 users
So based on SDN posts, it doesn't look like Rush has sent out post interview decisions on consecutive weeks. They seem to go out every other week, so I'm guessing that we don't hear back today, especailly because the March 5th group only itnerviewed last week. :/ I hope I'm wrong though!

So based on SDN posts, it doesn't look like Rush has sent out post interview decisions on consecutive weeks. They seem to go out every other week, so I'm guessing that we don't hear back today, especailly because the March 5th group only itnerviewed last week. :/ I hope I'm wrong though!

Good point. There was an earlier post mentioning 3/14 as one of the days they'd be sending out decisions, so maybe I got mixed up. Especially since it's only been 9 days! This is from the previous post:

Rush is doing an interesting process this year where the admissions committee is only sending out decisions on four specific dates. The first of these is this coming Friday (11/15), then 1/10, 3/14, and 4/11. So I'd assume that if you interview reasonably before one of those dates, the next one is when you'd hear a status update. It's actually kind of nice to not be preoccupied with racing to my computer everytime I hear a mail ding!

It seems like they've sent out decisions on additional days though, so maybe things have changed.

Reactions: 1 user
Did everyone on the waitlist get a second look day invitation? Do you think it would affect my waitlist status (either positively by showing interest or negatively by not attending)? I am definitely very interested in attending Rush, but financially, I am not sure I will be able to afford another trip out to Chicago for the second look day.

Also pre-interview rejection. Best of luck to everyone still being considered!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone on the waitlist get a second look day invitation? Do you think it would affect my waitlist status (either positively by showing interest or negatively by not attending)? I am definitely very interested in attending Rush, but financially, I am not sure I will be able to afford another trip out to Chicago for the second look day.

Same situation over here!

From what I've heard from WLees who got in/adcommers, it does play a factor. It is a way to evaluate interest and dedication to Rush.

That being said, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it/not worth going into debt over. At some point, historically, they send out a request for letters of interest/intent/updates, which you could do instead. My year had decent WL movement (we have ~10 people from it, Year before me ~<3 , M1 class has just a couple I believe (I only know of one)). I only know of one person in my class who got in off the WL without going to second look (he wrote a strong letter of intent).

From what I've heard from WLees who got in/adcommers, it does play a factor. It is a way to evaluate interest and dedication to Rush.

That being said, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it/not worth going into debt over. At some point, historically, they send out a request for letters of interest/intent/updates, which you could do instead. My year had decent WL movement (we have ~10 people from it, Year before me ~<3 , M1 class has just a couple I believe (I only know of one)). I only know of one person in my class who got in off the WL without going to second look (he wrote a strong letter of intent).

Thanks for the info! Do you know why such little waitlist movement at Rush? 10-3 for a 128 person class is very minimal and kind of surprises me.

Thanks for the info! Do you know why such little waitlist movement at Rush? 10-3 for a 128 person class is very minimal and kind of surprises me.

Historically, they haven't needed to? They wanted WL movement my year, I know. I think last year they overaccepted?

Good point. There was an earlier post mentioning 3/14 as one of the days they'd be sending out decisions, so maybe I got mixed up. Especially since it's only been 9 days! This is from the previous post:

Rush is doing an interesting process this year where the admissions committee is only sending out decisions on four specific dates. The first of these is this coming Friday (11/15), then 1/10, 3/14, and 4/11. So I'd assume that if you interview reasonably before one of those dates, the next one is when you'd hear a status update. It's actually kind of nice to not be preoccupied with racing to my computer everytime I hear a mail ding!

It seems like they've sent out decisions on additional days though, so maybe things have changed.

Hey I interviewed on 03.05 too, they did tell us this past Friday 03.14 but I didn't get anything either :(. Hopefully they were just over-optimistic at the time of interview haha...

For those who got waitlisted but also received a second look day invite, I was told by two current students who got accepted off wait list that the attendance was really helpful. The adcoms told them that the one of the main reasons why they were the only two people accepted was because they showed a lot of interest by asking a lot of questions on the second look day. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I have a question about second look. Does anyone know if we can stay with current students on May 2nd for second look? Also does Rush provide any travel compensation for out of state students?
Thanks for your input!

Hi everyone! I have a question about second look. Does anyone know if we can stay with current students on May 2nd for second look? Also does Rush provide any travel compensation for out of state students?
Thanks for your input!

If you e-mail the group that set up you up with an M1 host for the interview, they can ask for volunteers who are willing to host again.

Do they only send second look emails to certain people on the waitlist (ie applicants they prefer), or does everyone on the waitlist get an invite?

Also, anyone who interviewed recently hear anything yet?

Last edited:
I finally gave in and called the admissions office. For those of us who interviewed 3/5 (not sure about the week after) we'll hear something by the end of this week. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I finally gave in and called the admissions office. For those of us who interviewed 3/5 (not sure about the week after) we'll hear something by the end of this week. Good luck to everyone!

Props to you for having the guts (impatience?!) to call! Thanks!

+500 SDN points for you

Do they only send second look emails to certain people on the waitlist (ie applicants they prefer), or does everyone on the waitlist get an invite?

Also, anyone who interviewed recently hear anything yet?
Everyone

Has anyone received a financial aid award letter yet? If so, how long did it take from when you submitted your required forms?

Has anyone received a financial aid award letter yet? If so, how long did it take from when you submitted your required forms?

I turned in my documents probably a month ago, and received my letter on 3/19. So just about 4 weeks-ish?

I turned in my documents probably a month ago, and received my letter on 3/19. So just about 4 weeks-ish?

Thank you!!!

Edit: LOL. I got my award letter later today. $20,000 in grants plus lots of institutional loans! :D

Last edited:
I'm in state (originally from Chicago) and hoping for an II from here.

Last edited:
I had a discussion with my interviewer about it during my interview and there are no official MD/MBA program for Rush. You bascially have to do the two separately to complete the credits. Let me know if you hear anything different!

Does anyone know how many people get in off the waitlist? In particular, if you receive a "priority waitlist" position, do you have a good chance at getting in?? I thought they said that about 20 people get in off the waitlist each year but I do not know if I heard them correctly..

Has anyone heard back from or emailed admissions regarding the "email buddy program"?

Can anyone comment on second look day, specificially if people often fly in from different states to attend or if it is usually just people who live in Chicago? It would be fun to spend a weekend in Chicago though! ...and without snow!

Did any waitlist people who sent in an update get some sort of confirmation?

Can anyone comment on second look day, specificially if people often fly in from different states to attend or if it is usually just people who live in Chicago? It would be fun to spend a weekend in Chicago though! ...and without snow!

No idea, but if you can swing it it's fun and worth coming to meet future classmates. If you're WLed, I definitely think it's important to come to show a strong interest.

Hey if anyone could pm Rush Admission's telephone number to me, that would be great!