2013-2014 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my interview yesterday and it was definitely way less stressful than I expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know whether or not an interview time before 12pm means you can't get a tour? Or can you just wait around until then?

You take the tour after your interview. Mine was at 11 interviewed till like 12 and then went on like an hour tour.
Good luck.
De prepare though, i was totally given a stress interview.

any Regular Decision applicants get II's yet?

any Regular Decision applicants get II's yet?

There's been a couple I believe but not too many. On my interview day there were only 5 of us but one of the faculty members did mention there would be more interviewees on future dates

Got my interview invite yesterday. Interviewing on 09/24.. Super excited :D

congrats! stats? and when were you complete?

Does anyone have any info on the regular decision interviews? Are they also with Dean Heinrich? Are they non-stress? Thanks for any help!

Does anyone have any info on the regular decision interviews? Are they also with Dean Heinrich? Are they non-stress? Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure if he doing any of the applicants - no one on my interview day had him. We all had different faculty members. Mine was an attending at University Hospital

I know he does some of them but I had an attending at UH as well. Mine was relaxed

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any OOS received interviews??? I'm OOS but from New York...just wondering considering I received an interview but on the MSAR it says NJMS only enrolled 2 OOS applicants last year...doesn't really give me a lot of confidence about my chances lol

I'm OOS from NY too and still waiting.

Have any OOS received interviews??? I'm OOS but from New York...just wondering considering I received an interview but on the MSAR it says NJMS only enrolled 2 OOS applicants last year...doesn't really give me a lot of confidence about my chances lol
Wow! Congrats on the ii! I'm also applying from OOS.. haven't heard back though.. when were you complete/when did you submit?

is there a way to check our app status?

No, unfortunately NJMS is behind the curve with the technology. If you want to confirm that everything has been received, you can always call the admissions office. Besides that, I don't think there's much else to do except wait.

I have no clue if/how early decision interviews are different. But for RD interviews, they are not with Dean Heinrich. NJMS makes it a point to make two committees: an interviewing committee and an admissions committee. (I believe Dean Heinrich is on the adcom and not the interview committee). Faculty are not allowed to be on both, so your interviewer only writes some sort of report and submits it into your file. The final admissions decision is done by the separate admissions committee.

As far as I've heard (and from my experience), the interviews are very low-stress. It's a short & straightforward day, just an interview and tour.

Hope this helps.

Did anyone do a student interview? I inquired about one and they said they weren't able to offer one - wondering if that's for everyone or just because they'd already met their quota for my interview date.

congrats! stats? and when were you complete?

In-state, non-traditional applicant
Submitted 7/19
Verified 8/10
MCAT 32
GPA 3.7

Just had my interview today. Impressed by the way faculties conduct them. The purpose is to try to get to know the applicant and not to stress them out.

Not a lot of activity in this thread. Does NJMS send out a bulk of their II invites in October or something? Just trying to get a feel for the timeline, this school is my top choice!

Not a lot of activity in this thread. Does NJMS send out a bulk of their II invites in October or something? Just trying to get a feel for the timeline, this school is my top choice!
Yeah I submitted 7/22 and haven't heard anything from here. It's kind of frustrating being an in state resident and all. NJMS and Temple are the only 2 schools I haven't heard back from yet so I am literally checking my email 50 x a day haha. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

Yeah I submitted 7/22 and haven't heard anything from here. It's kind of frustrating being an in state resident and all. NJMS and Temple are the only 2 schools I haven't heard back from yet so I am literally checking my email 50 x a day haha. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

In my class about 35-40 students were accepted early decision. The rest varied but the greatest majority of students were accepted between October 15-winter break. And there were also about 25-30 7 year students as well (class size of 178).

Obviously it varies and you may find out later because amcas took longer this year.

Tell me about it! I'm also IS and am hoping for some NJMS love! Also, I did some digging in last year's NJMS thread and a good number of SDNers posted about getting IIs in October and November. If they're following a similar timeline, I guess we can expect some news soon! Hopefully...

In my class about 35-40 students were accepted early decision. The rest varied but the greatest majority of students were accepted between October 15-winter break. And there were also about 25-30 7 year students as well (class size of 178).

Obviously it varies and you may find out later because amcas took longer this year.

Thanks for this info, giants25! Hopefully that means they will start sending out IIs sometime soon. But like you said, the whole AMCAS delay might change things. Guess all we can do is keep waiting....

No, unfortunately NJMS is behind the curve with the technology. If you want to confirm that everything has been received, you can always call the admissions office. Besides that, I don't think there's much else to do except wait.

I have no clue if/how early decision interviews are different. But for RD interviews, they are not with Dean Heinrich. NJMS makes it a point to make two committees: an interviewing committee and an admissions committee. (I believe Dean Heinrich is on the adcom and not the interview committee). Faculty are not allowed to be on both, so your interviewer only writes some sort of report and submits it into your file. The final admissions decision is done by the separate admissions committee.

As far as I've heard (and from my experience), the interviews are very low-stress. It's a short & straightforward day, just an interview and tour.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this has changed in the past few years, but Heinrich was my RD interviewer and it was low stress

Did anyone do a student interview? I inquired about one and they said they weren't able to offer one - wondering if that's for everyone or just because they'd already met their quota for my interview date.

Yeah I believe the majority don't have student interviewers, so don't worry about it. I didn't have one when i applied

Interviewed here a little less then a month ago.

Just got an email saying they'd like to do a second interview.

Happy about it cause they're obviously still considering, but pissed I have to take off work again. Oh well.

Interviewed here a little less then a month ago.

Just got an email saying they'd like to do a second interview.

Happy about it cause they're obviously still considering, but pissed I have to take off work again. Oh well.

I agree with you! I wonder what factors warrant a second interview though. I interviewed during the last week of last month so it's been just about two weeks.

Would you mind posting your stats and date of your interview? Are you an IS or OOS?

Good luck on your second interview :)

Woah NJMS can request second interviews?

I agree with you! I wonder what factors warrant a second interview though. I interviewed during the last week of last month so it's been just about two weeks.

Would you mind posting your stats and date of your interview? Are you an IS or OOS?

Good luck on your second interview :)
5/2012 MCAT: 10/8/11
6/2013 MCAT: 13/9/14
sgpa: 3.75
gpa: 3.75

NJ Resident.

interviewed 9/11

My 1st interview honestly didn't go very smoothly. I think they just want to get a better understanding for why I want to do medicine, because when i answered it the first time my interviewer kept cutting me off and it threw me off a little.

Just got my interview invite i m so excited. just wondering from reading this thread why they have secondary interviews?

Just got my interview invite. However, when I try to register for one of the available interview time slots I get an error when I add my AAMC ID into the AMCAS ID field. Supposedly, my ID is unavailable to them. I submitted my primary application on 9/29 so it isn't verified yet. But I got an interview invitation yesterday from Dr. Heinrich's email address yesterday 10/05 without receiving/submitting a secondary. Any ideas? I have to speak with the admissions office tomorrow.

Just got my interview invite. However, when I try to register for one of the available interview time slots I get an error when I add my AAMC ID into the AMCAS ID field. Supposedly, my ID is unavailable to them. I submitted my primary application on 9/29 so it isn't verified yet. But I got an interview invitation yesterday from Dr. Heinrich's email address yesterday 10/05 without receiving/submitting a secondary. Any ideas? I have to speak with the admissions office tomorrow.

You got an II before your primary was verified? lol

Thats kind of strange. How can you get an invite without the school even having your AMCAS app? Call them.

Yeah I did get an II before being verified but I can't sign up for an interview because of an "invalid AMCAS ID". I'm calling them tomorrow morning.

My 1st interview honestly didn't go very smoothly. I think they just want to get a better understanding for why I want to do medicine, because when i answered it the first time my interviewer kept cutting me off and it threw me off a little.

My friend received a second interview and she was accepted shortly after. Def a good sign.

So the admission's committee meets every Thursday. Usually you get your interview invites on Thursday or Friday, and phone calls of acceptance at the beginning of the following week!

Dean Heinrich calls from a Restricted/Unknown number, so if you get one def answer it!!
Goood Luck all.

You probably got "invited" to do the secondary application lol

I remember one of the jersey school's sends out a secondary shortly after doing primary.

Sorry Brah

So the admission's committee meets every Thursday. Usually you get your interview invites on Thursday or Friday, and phone calls of acceptance at the beginning of the following week!

Dean Heinrich calls from a Restricted/Unknown number, so if you get one def answer it!!
Goood Luck all.

Yay! So that means I can restrict my freaking out and obsessively checking my email to only 2 days a week! For this school, anyway... :p

Does anyone know where we can check our status? I never even got a complete email!

Does anyone know where we can check our status? I never even got a complete email!

I don't believe they send complete emails. The only email you get is a confirmation of payment. You can call the admissions office and inquire about your status. They're pretty helpful in terms of that.

My friend received a second interview and she was accepted shortly after. Def a good sign.

Goood Luck all.

Wow, so if I interviewed several weeks ago is there a good chance they could be calling me thus Tuesday (October 15th?????) I hope so!

Can someone who has interviewed here already speak to when the interview day gets over? I have an AM interview, followed by a tour that starts at 12pm, so it would be helpful to know when I can plan to leave.

Can someone who has interviewed here already speak to when the interview day gets over? I have an AM interview, followed by a tour that starts at 12pm, so it would be helpful to know when I can plan to leave.

After the tour I was done. So by like 1:00.

Accepted today!
Interviewed 8/28
3.7/34

Reactions: 1 user