2013-2014 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not exactly sure which rankings you looked at when posting this, but according to this as of today HUMC is #1 and Morristown #2:

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/nj

Morristown is a fantastic hospital though. I did my surgery rotation there and absolutely loved it, I actually felt a little spoiled being allowed to be in such a nice place (and it gives students a meal card!)

I think you've made it clear which school you're biased towards, so that point is taken. But you have no clinical medical school experience to back up your assertions. Do you have any statistics or an article on this blunt trauma statement? I tried to look this up for a while and can't find anything. Maybe a 4th year at RWJMS may chime in soon to let us all in on the scoop. As for clinical years, it's not really about living in the same city as your main hospital, firstly as you're going to be many different places for your rotations and secondly because as you said other towns are probably nicer (and safer) to be in. Many students however live in 180 (dorms) next to the hospital/school for first and second year. People realize that most of newark is a "dump", but they dont go to NJMS hoping to soak up the scenery of a beautiful city - they go there for a good medical education.

Couple things - you're correct on the US News & World Report rankings. I was going off a different ranking that is completed not by the public - but by NJ physicians every year by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. In that ranking, Morristown is #1 and I believe Hackensack is #2. Polls are just polls and either way, both hospitals (not neccesarily the residency programs though) are very strong in my opinion. In addition, while I am just starting school next week, I do in fact have some clinical experience. Been here in the ER at Morristown for - coming up this winter on 11 years as an EMT/Tech, specifically part of the Trauma Team. From my trauma experience, my interactions with our team, discussions with those who trained at both UH & RWJ - the penetrating/blunt differentiation is pretty clear. Here at Morristown, my best approximation is about 85/15 blunt/trauma and from my colleagues that I have spoken to, RWJ in New Brunswick is much closer to that number than what you'll see at UH or St. Joe's. You will get significantly more penetrating injuries in Paterson, Newark, Jersey City, etc. and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why. Again, plenty of friends (MDs, Nurses, Paramedics) that work in all three of those cities and the stories are outrageous. In my opinion though, that's a big plus for a place like UH over Morristown/RWJ. As you said, most students don't choose schools based on the city itself, but rather the medical education.

As I said in my previous post, I would have been ecstatic to have gotten accepted at either NJMS or RWJ - good luck to those applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify a few points and play devil's advocate (I'll be attending RWJMS as an M1 this year). First off, you can't go wrong with either school - both will provide you with a great education and if you are a NJ state resident, you would be hard pressed to go somewhere else (unless you're talking a Top 10-15 school...) Both UH and RWJ are Level 1 Trauma Centers though you will get more penetrating at UH and more blunt at RWJ. As for the rest of the clinical experience and how hands on you will get in M3 and M4, I can't speak to it because I have never worked in Newark, NJ. From what we have been told here in Piscataway/New Brunswick, our clinical experience will be quite strong, rotating between RWJ, Jersey Shore, and Princeton.

While I agree with most of the rest of the post, where I will differ is the issue of the location of the hospitals. At NJMS, most M3/M4 students (and I've known a whole bunch) won't even live in Newark, so the fact that the medical school is near the hospital is kind of irrelevant. The city is a dump - let's not sugar coat it. Now there are a ton of beautiful surrounding towns/cities (Hoboken, Montclair, etc.) where a ton of students live and commute into Newark and it works out just fine for them. On the other hand, at RWJMS, most M3 and M4's move from Piscataway (where the Rutgers campus, medical school, and first two years mostly take place) into New Brunswick - meaning they are within walking distance of the hospital. Also the two towns are about 5 minutes apart. Just a personal preference, but New Brunswick, College Avenue, etc. was more appealing to me for my M3/M4 than Newark, NJ. Last little correction I had was that Morristown Medical Center has been ranked #1 for the last three years, though Hackensack is up there, too. I do think NJMS rotates there though as well, but I know many RWJMS have chosen to do time there too. Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread - the way I saw it - as long as I got into 1 of the 2, I was going to be ecstatic. Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks for your post, tons of valid points.

I want to make it clear that I absolutely love RWJ, and that choosing between the two schools was by no means an easy decision. I had a friend who chose NJMS over RWJ a few years back and at the time I thought he was absolutely insane. I think that part of the reason I wanted to go to NJMS was to get a change of scenery. Going to Rutgers for undergrad made me reluctant to return to pretty much the same campus for the next four years. I cannot at all disagree with you that RWJ has a nicer campus. You can walk twenty feet out from the med school, lay down in the grass, and take a nap. Kind of harder to do that in Newark.

In terms of the school being connected to the hospital: I was talking mainly about the convenience of such an arrangement during the first couple of years. Having the hospital be a ten minute walk away from the school makes it a lot easier to get exposure during the first couple of years. I have talked to a few students that regularly visit research docs or go shadow during breaks in their day or after their day is over. Like i said in my original post, there is nothing about RWJ that prevents this. It is just less convenient to do this at RWJ because the hospital is further away and requires a bus/car to get to.

I completely agree with you that living in NB is very convenient if you are walking to RWJ. In fact I think NJMS requires more driving out of their students, which will probably be a bit of a pain. However the idea of living in NB on College Ave again did not appeal to me. The vast majority of your neighbors are immature college kids who throw parties random nights of the week. It sometimes felt like I was living in a fake world, because I wasnt actually surrounded by adults. It was fun as a sophomore in college, but I dont think I would enjoy it as much as a medical student. But of course of course of course, this is all personal preference, I saw a bunch of med students living in NB during my time there, and they were all very happy. I honestly think the majority of my reasons for not wanting to go to RWJ were related to the fact that I went there for undergrad and felt like I needed a change.

Completely agree that both are great schools and I would not be that upset if someone showed up at my door right now and told me I had to go to RWJ instead. Both are amazing. I think NJ is very very lucky with their state medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Just got my interview invite! In case anyone was interested.
Secondary Submitted: 7/18
AMCAS Verified: 8/6

Anyone else from here interviewing?

IS
submitted my secondary 7/22

refreshed my email about 700 times today

no II yet....

:cry:

(picture taken from Waitlist Kittehh thread)

Attachments

• lolcats-funny-pictures-submissions.jpg
    lolcats-funny-pictures-submissions.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 50
Accepted!! I thought I would share my stats to give you all a barometer.

IS, ED applicant
GPA: 3.7 Science GPA: 3.97
MCAT: 33 (11/11/11)
Interviewed 7/17, accepted 8/1
Research and clinical experience

Best of luck to everyone!

IS, ED applicant

Congratulations! In case anyone is wondering around 35-40 students in this years incoming class were ED applicants.

IS, ED applicant

Why ED, just out of curiosity? Mainly to get a sense of the factors about the school that encouraged you to make that choice.

IS, ED applicant

Congratulations! Do you happen to remember by what date they told you they would let you know after the interview?

Why ED, just out of curiosity? Mainly to get a sense of the factors about the school that encouraged you to make that choice.
I chose ED for a number of reasons; most importantly was UH, from everyone spoken to about NJMS they said that it offered unrivaled clinical experience and access to a patient base that truly needs help.

Also, I knew applying ED would increase my chances for a favorable result, and since they process applications so quick this time of year I thought it wouldn't hinder my chances elsewhere if I was rejected.

Finally, proximity to my family and friends was also a big bonus that no other school could offer.

Congratulations! Do you happen to remember by what date they told you they would let you know after the interview?
I was told by other current students that they heard within a week; I spoke to another ED candidate this cycle who didn't get accepted until 3 weeks after, and the admissions secretary told me it would be 3 weeks as I left the office.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7TZLQs32SM

I was watching Trauma: Life in the ER the other day and they filmed an episode at UH! This episode is obviously from way back in the day, but shows how crazy the ER gets. I was amazed by Dr. Dorian Wilson's work ethic and patience in times of chaos.

Also, congratulations to those who have already been accepted!

Wow thanks for sharing! I have a huge interest in the ER and was an ED tech for 2 years. even the craziest nights at my old hospital were nothing like this!

Interview Invite !

Super excited to be interviewing here. Definitely one of my top choices.

what dates were available...still waiting and this is my top choice

I also got one today. There are a LOT of dates still open in August/September, so there is no need to worry yet!

Just got the call from Dr. Heinrich - accepted ED! I interviewed on 7/25, so it's been about three weeks. Good luck to everybody and congratulations to my future classmates!

Last edited by a moderator:
interview invite today!! :) IS. Not sure of the exact date I was complete, but submitted secondary 7/10 and AMCAS was verified after on 7/13. So, probably a bit after that.

Don't worry if you haven't got an ii. There are LOTS of dates/times available. I was actually really surprised at how many slots there were.

For those of you with invites, are you emailing them for a student interview? I'm not sure if I should have one or not

Got a call from Dr. Heinrich today! EDP. Good luck to everyone. Hope to see y'all next year.

Anyone, who has already interviewed here, care to shed some light on the interview process? I have a 1-hour time slot, and then a tour of the campus right after. Are the interviews usually an hour long? What do interview questions tend to focus on?
Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas on what to write in the "additional information" essay? I can't think of anything i want to elaborate on since its already in my AMCAS and i also don't wanna ramble just to take up space.

Anyone, who has already interviewed here, care to shed some light on the interview process? I have a 1-hour time slot, and then a tour of the campus right after. Are the interviews usually an hour long? What do interview questions tend to focus on?
Thanks!
Mine was an hour and a half. Met with Dean Heinrich. We talked about my research first, then volunteer experiences over seas, that led to talking about my brother and family, academic weaknesses and strengths, how I did on the MCAT and how I accomplished that, what information he should know about me that isn't on my application, what would i like to specialize in, if the admissions committee were meeting in the room next door to discuss my application-- what would I like them to know about me? Yep then the student tour... It was pointless for me to take it b/c i had taken a tour during their admissions seminar in May. But it was helpful to get another student's insight on the school.

Mine was an hour and a half. Met with Dean Heinrich. We talked about my research first, then volunteer experiences over seas, that led to talking about my brother and family, academic weaknesses and strengths, how I did on the MCAT and how I accomplished that, what information he should know about me that isn't on my application, what would i like to specialize in, if the admissions committee were meeting in the room next door to discuss my application-- what would I like them to know about me? Yep then the student tour... It was pointless for me to take it b/c i had taken a tour during their admissions seminar in May. But it was helpful to get another student's insight on the school.

Seems like a pretty thorough interview about you as an applicant/person. I feel like it had a lot of "common questions" too.

Do you know if the interview open or closed file? Also, did you ask for a student interview?

Just got the call about an hour ago for EDP!! Interviewed 7/26, so right at about 3 weeks after. This feeling is surreal, I wish everyone luck! PM me if anyone has any questions.

Thanks for the very helpful info. Just curious: how long did the tour last, and was lunch provided right after the tour?
I guess it was about an hour... i just remembered interviewing at 3:30pm and leaving after 6. I bumped into a rising M2 there that I knew and we talked for a bit. The tour guide was very nice and she had a lot of patience for random chit chat. It has no bearing on your application file so i felt free to speak casually and really get to know her and her interest in NJMS... i.e. relax after the interview. no food for me :( I think they would tell you if it was on the agenda. Maybe ED interview is different from RD interview day.

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty thorough interview about you as an applicant/person. I feel like it had a lot of "common questions" too.

Do you know if the interview open or closed file? Also, did you ask for a student interview?
I didn't request student interview.... I don't think that was an option for ED. At least it wasn't in the email I received, just an offer for a student tour. Maybe b/c ED at NJMS is supposed to be quick, they don't want to use up time getting a student interview component into your file. That's just my guess.

By open file, I'm guessing you are asking if they review your applications before your interview!? If so, yeah. Dean Heinrich had the stapled stack of papers in front of him along with another sheet (I'm guessing for his notes on the interview/applicant). He looked through it a couple times during the interview, referred to things on it, turned the packet around for me to see "blah blah blah" and asked me to talk about "blah blah blah".

Does anyone have any ideas on what to write in the "additional information" essay? I can't think of anything i want to elaborate on since its already in my AMCAS and i also don't wanna ramble just to take up space.
if you think there is something they should know about you that would add positively to your application, then talk about it. People on this forum could give you suggestions but there is no point in that. You know yourself better than we do and therefore you should know what you could say to make your application shine among the ones they will receive!! They leave it open like that for you to show them why they should accept you!!!

Those of you with II's.. when were you complete? Good luck on your interviews btw!

So I interview at njms soon. I was wondering if people usually take anything with them for the interview? A copy of their applications (primary and secondary), or a resume ? Laptop?
Thanks, and good luck everyone!

would it reflect negatively if I choose not to answer the additional info? I know some schools its OK to do that and others you really should answer.

Hi everyone!

I interviewed July 2nd and was accepted July 12th for the class of 2018. I would really like to start meeting my future classmates.

Let's start a fb group! - feel free to add me on fb. Search me by my email: [email protected]

would it reflect negatively if I choose not to answer the additional info? I know some schools its OK to do that and others you really should answer.
The way I see it, there are two benefits:
1. Putting the effort into writing for a section that is probably optional gives admissions committees insight into your interest. You're trying to show them why you'd want to go there (even if it's not your 1st choice, fake it til you make it bro!)
2. Gives you an additional chance to speak well of yourself. You're trying to look attractive and since they can't judge that based on looks until the interview :)d), your headshot is your application.

So I interview at njms soon. I was wondering if people usually take anything with them for the interview? A copy of their applications (primary and secondary), or a resume ? Laptop?
Thanks, and good luck everyone!
heh... I took a hideous leather trapper-keeper/clipboard/folder combo.. didn't even match my suit... in it were stuff i wrote to review before the interview (things I wanted to remember to say or ask). Didnt use it and didnt need it during the interview either but pretended to look at it once for the time when he asked if I had any questions. I'd recommend something you could write on that just so that there's a visible sign that you prepared for this even if all your questions/comments are memorized (just dont come across rehearsed...)

Hey guys,

I got the interview invite fairly early, and due to other obligations and time constraints, I am interviewing on the 24th of September (Tuesday I believe). I have somewhat competitive stats (3.9 BCPM and Cumulative GPA with 32 MCAT). What time of year do the seats fill up? I've heard things like mid-October. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone! If you add Sweiss915@gmail on facebook, he'll add you to the facebook group.

"If you are not attending college/university full-time as of fall 2013, please describe your planned activities from June 2013 through August 2014. (Please respond in 1500 characters or less)"

I am graduating this upcoming January... should I answer this or am I still considered full-time?

Thanks!

"If you are not attending college/university full-time as of fall 2013, please describe your planned activities from June 2013 through August 2014. (Please respond in 1500 characters or less)"

I am graduating this upcoming January... should I answer this or am I still considered full-time?

Thanks!

probably your call. Technically you WILL be attending college/university full-time as of fall 2013. You just won't continue that into the spring.

If you have something interesting and worth mentioning that you'll be doing, then talk about it. If not, I'd say just leave it alone. You should probably verify with the admissions office if you are going to do the latter though.

Interview Invite ! :D so excited...I absolutely love njms

Class of 2018!
Interview Invite- 8/15
Interview- 8/20
Accepted- 9/2
Got the call from Dean Heinrich at like 9 PM on labor day!!!
Good Luck Guys!