2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So does anyone know if the February batch has already gone out? Because with someone already saying they received an acceptance, it makes me wonder if they send out single acceptances as people decline their seats in addition to the batches. Does anyone who has knowledge of the process know about this?

They do do that and there was a batch sent a couple weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed today. My first interview with the AdCom member was very relaxed and conversational (even when discussing the weaknesses of my app). The second interview was higher stress with obscure public health scenarios. We were told the second batch of acceptances were released last week. Our apps will be reviewed on 3/4 for decisions and then the third batch will be released end of March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed today. My first interview with the AdCom member was very relaxed and conversational (even when discussing the weaknesses of my app). The second interview was higher stress with obscure public health scenarios. We were told the second batch of acceptances were released last week. Our apps will be reviewed on 3/4 for decisions and then the third batch will be released end of March.
Thanks for sharing that!
I heard that most in between batch movements happen between the 2nd and 3rd or is it after the 3rd?

Thanks for sharing that!
I heard that most in between batch movements happen between the 2nd and 3rd or is it after the 3rd?
They said a lot happens after the third when students withdrawal from multiple offers they are holding

Hey! We met! Hope you liked it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the AWPA list (and incredibly excited to be there). I feel like I remember the director of admissions mentioning that upwards of 95% of the AWPA list will ultimately be offered a seat. Does anyone else remember hearing similar information in their interview?

I remember Beth saying 80-90% of those on the AWPA list are offered acceptances. Very high stats!

Very true. I do wish SIU's process looked a bit different. It's my first choice, but the uncertainty and "almost accepted" of the AWPA list makes it really, really hard to plan unless you're offered a place early. I know I'm preaching to the choir, just venting a little. Fingers crossed for both of us, Doxie.
Ditto. I keep my AWPA letter posted above my desk to keep me encouraged. I remember Beth saying 95% too...?
I know my tour guide told me she got accepted in June or something. I hope we don't have to wait that long. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't tell you how much I can agree with this post, mine went the same exact way!! A new hypothetical question every minute or so, good applicable questions though. I interviewed mid Jan - hoping to hear back in the next couple days..

Ditto. I keep my AWPA letter posted above my desk to keep me encouraged. I remember Beth saying 95% too...?
I know my tour guide told me she got accepted in June or something. I hope we don't have to wait that long. :p

You tell people you have an ~80% chance and they're all "omg congrats!" And you're just "no, that 20% is killing me slowly."

The AWPA wait is miserable. I was accepted on May 15 (multiple accept deadline) which sucked but is now irrelevant (as it will probably be for you). Other than batches, things are slow until May. Just be happy you've made it this far and hope that you wake up one morning with a very happy email waiting for you. Also, try to enjoy what are more than likely your last few months before medical school. Seriously, really enjoy them. I'm only an M1 and things are already MUCH different than they were in undergrad.

You tell people you have an ~80% chance and they're all "omg congrats!" And you're just "no, that 20% is killing me slowly."

The AWPA wait is miserable. I was accepted on May 15 (multiple accept deadline) which sucked but is now irrelevant (as it will probably be for you). Other than batches, things are slow until May. Just be happy you've made it this far and hope that you wake up one morning with a very happy email waiting for you. Also, try to enjoy what are more than likely your last few months before medical school. Seriously, really enjoy them. I'm only an M1 and things are already MUCH different than they were in undergrad.
Hahaha. I feel that first statement all too well. I just keep telling people, "Well...I'm ALMOST in..? I think?" Haha.

How easy is it to find housing for first year with the whole undergrad population and all?

Hahaha. I feel that first statement all too well. I just keep telling people, "Well...I'm ALMOST in..? I think?" Haha.

How easy is it to find housing for first year with the whole undergrad population and all?

Very easy to find housing. There are some popular spots near campus (Reserve, Point, Aspen) but quite a few people live in houses or apartments a little farther out.

Don't assume AWPA is an acceptance. I've been there, I never got in.
Have a backup (or 2).

Interviewing again here soon. Hope this year has a better outcome.

Don't assume AWPA is an acceptance. I've been there, I never got in.
Have a backup (or 2).

Interviewing again here soon. Hope this year has a better outcome.
Out of curiosity, were you notified or was it a silent rejection?

Think I was notified. It wasn't until July at least.

After receiving an AWPA, is there anything to do? Call in or email a "thank you" or updates on my research? Or is it best to just wait?

Congrats to all those accepted so far. Just as an FYI, the first week of March is the last week of interviews, so most everyone who is being looked at will have been through by then. As a personal anecdote, I didn't interview until late February (by that point, 2 batches of acceptances had already gone out.) At this point two years ago I was sacrificing goats in my backyard to the med school gods, praying to get in. If you're still waiting, hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! So when is the AdCom meeting? Is it on March 4th, or is it March 25th?
And when will the last batch of acceptances be mailed out?

The AdCom meeting is tomorrow, March 4th. I'm not sure when the next batch of acceptances comes out.

I just spoke with Elizabeth Hecker in the admissions department (she led the interview day for most interview dates) about the decision timeline. She said this about the final batch of acceptances: "It will probably be shortly after our final committee meeting for this season on March 25th". Hope that helps a few people!

Thanks APence22!
So what was the purpose of the March 4th meeting? Was it to add the folks who interviewed in February to the AWPA list, so that after March 25th they might make it into the acceptance batch?
Also, will any correspondence be sent out between now and end of March?

Does anybody know if the school will be sending out housing information to the accepted individuals anytime soon? I've been looking for a two bedroom apartment to rent with a friend of mine who currently lives in Carbondale, but I don't want to apply anywhere until I know more details (like when the school year officially begins, financial budget info, etc.).

Does anybody know if the school will be sending out housing information to the accepted individuals anytime soon? I've been looking for a two bedroom apartment to rent with a friend of mine who currently lives in Carbondale, but I don't want to apply anywhere until I know more details (like when the school year officially begins, financial budget info, etc.).
You can try to contact them and ask, but it is really too early for anyone down there to have any information on availability so its probably a bit futile.

AWPA today!!!! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks APence22!
So what was the purpose of the March 4th meeting? Was it to add the folks who interviewed in February to the AWPA list, so that after March 25th they might make it into the acceptance batch?
Also, will any correspondence be sent out between now and end of March?

While I cannot be 100% positive, I think the meeting during the first week of the month was to review the last batch of interviewees, and I think you're right that they made decisions about the AWPA list at that time.

According to what they mentioned during my interview mid-February they were going to evaluate the last pool of interviewees beginning March 25th and AWPA decisions would be sent out via standard mail throughout that week (26th-28th) with the last batch of full acceptances being sent out soon after and then of course whatever movement occurs following responses to those offers would influence further acceptances offered.

gahhhh they met yesterday, I just am waiting and probably checking the mail five times a day from here on out

Reactions: 1 users
To any current med students or people who know, when will the first day of class be for me if I get in? I am trying to start looking up apartments in case I get in becuase I got pretty positive feedback during my interview.

To any current med students or people who know, when will the first day of class be for me if I get in? I am trying to start looking up apartments in case I get in becuase I got pretty positive feedback during my interview.
August sometime. A couple weeks before the start of the undergrads usually.

Does anybody know the day the third batch will be going out?

Just got AWPA letter from the last batch of applicants reviewed. Not sure how soon after the final group of full acceptances follow. Very excited though! At my interview they told us 80% of AWPA end up with acceptances so fingers crossed.

They're sending out the third batch of acceptances today! I just got mine! So surreal right now.

Well dang. I was really hoping to be in the third batch. Guess I'm waiting until May. Congratulations to you though!

Well dang. I was really hoping to be in the third batch. Guess I'm waiting until May. Congratulations to you though!
Thank you! Don't count yourself out yet though, I doubt all the emails go out at once I bet they will be throughout the day. Also, it says we have two weeks to send back an acceptance and to please decline if we are not attending, so more could go out in the next two weeks as well.

I just called the admissions office and they said the third batch has already been completely sent out. So looks like I'm back to the waiting grind.

I just called the admissions office and they said the third batch has already been completely sent out. So looks like I'm back to the waiting grind.
Aw shucks. I've been AWPA since October. The waiting game. We meet again. :|

Bummer..looks like I'm going to be waiting for a while too