2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all of you who are waiting. Keep us posted :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting. Keep us posted :xf:
Hey do you knowif there is a facebook page for class of 18? I can't find one. I would really like to join a group to meet the people I will be going to school with. If there is not one so far I would maybe like to start one, but I don't want to jump the gun.

Hey do you knowif there is a facebook page for class of 18? I can't find one. I would really like to join a group to meet the people I will be going to school with. If there is not one so far I would maybe like to start one, but I don't want to jump the gun.

I wouldn't start one yourself - the school will create a group and notify you via email once it has been set up. They don't do that until later in the cycle when most of the AWPA movement has concluded so don't worry about it just yet! There is also a pre-orientation over the summer and an orientation before classes start so you'll have plenty of time to meet your peers. Congrats on your acceptance and matriculation :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't start one yourself - the school will create a group and notify you via email once it has been set up. They don't do that until later in the cycle when most of the AWPA movement has concluded so don't worry about it just yet! There is also a pre-orientation over the summer and an orientation before classes start so you'll have plenty of time to meet your peers. Congrats on your acceptance and matriculation :)
Thank you very much. I wasn't sure if those kinds of things tended to be student run groups or school run groups.

Hi, new to SDN, have a brief question. Notified that I am on AWPA list for SIU but that the class is filled. Anyone know if that is a nice way of saying you're not in or if they actually have significant numerical movement on that list? In other words, anyone know approximately how many decline SIU d/t multiple acceptances? Just curious--and hoping!

Thanks

Hi, new to SDN, have a brief question. Notified that I am on AWPA list for SIU but that the class is filled. Anyone know if that is a nice way of saying you're not in or if they actually have significant numerical movement on that list? In other words, anyone know approximately how many decline SIU d/t multiple acceptances? Just curious--and hoping!

Thanks

I received the same letter today in the mail. The letter itself says most movement happens on the multiple acceptance deadline, May 15th, and to please be patient.

I'm trying to stay positive :)

Same here. I found the numbers from the 2011 class & they indicate they gave out over 150 acceptances, and for 72 seats that seems to mean that they had a large number of people with multiples or that declined, resulting in at least 2x acceptances, if I'm interpreting it right

Reactions: 1 user
Same here. I found the numbers from the 2011 class & they indicate they gave out over 150 acceptances, and for 72 seats that seems to mean that they had a large number of people with multiples or that declined, resulting in at least 2x acceptances, if I'm interpreting it right

You're correct, lots of movement to come so don't stress too much for now

Reactions: 1 users
Dear friends, I have formally withdrawn from my place at SIU. It is with sincerest hope my spot goes to one of you and makes someone's doctoring dream come true. All the best!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance a few hours ago, good luck! I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
May 15 is approaching, lots of movement is going to be happening in the next few weeks. Hang in there everyone and let us know how things are going! :)

Accepted! Thanks to those of you who turned down your seats! lol

I couldn't be more excited right now!

This is an amazing school. I've been very pleased with everything so far. They treat you very well at this school. I am very happy that I chose to come here over my other options. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them. I know Pasmal hangs out here a lot.

Really hoping more movement happens! I would hate to be left sitting on AWPA as I really liked the school.

I agree! The wait is slowly killing me but I'm trying to remain positive!

There should be a ton of movement coming up for you guys in just over a week.

Same here FebReb9 and saht. In this trying time our theme song should be "Misery" by Maroon 5: "I am in misery. / And there ain't nobody who can comfort me. Oh yeah. / Why won't you answer me? / The silence is slowly killing me."

I was looking through the SIU forums for previous years and a lot of people knew which quartile they were in on the AWPA list. Does anyone know if we can still get that information?

I was looking through the SIU forums for previous years and a lot of people knew which quartile they were in on the AWPA list. Does anyone know if we can still get that information?
Hey Muggle,
I asked a few months ago, and I was told that they could not release that information (i.e. where we are on the list). I was also told that even if we sent letters of intent/continued interest, it's doesn't do much unfortunately. Elizabeth said, "Once you are placed on the AWPA list your spot on the list doesn't change."

Just received my acceptance! So incredibly relieved. Wishing the best for everyone else on the AWPA list!

Reactions: 3 users
Good news for anyone? I was hoping there would be a ton of movement by now.

Is anyone aware of any movement that happened today?

Should I be worried now that it's May 15 and I still haven't heard anything? Or is the burst of acceptances still to come?

I'm feeling the same way....
I'm worried too. Previous years have showed considerable movement in late April/early May at not just SIU, but other schools I'm hanging out on the waitlist for. I'm wondering if there was just an absurd number of applicants this year for a limited number of seats that hasn't been increased. I do know that May 15-June 15 tends to have the most movement at SIU, so mayhaps more of us will get lucky in the next few weeks.

I emailed Elizabeth Hecker the other day, and she said they had only just begun to see movement, so hopefully we can expect to hear good news in the upcoming week! Good luck to everyone else still on the AWPA list!

It's good to hear that movement occurs May 15-June. I was under the impression it happens leading upto May 15. I have made backup plans but I hope they offer more acceptances! We can't ALL be in the bottom 10-20 % right? :/ Wishing the best for all of us!

Not entirely, I have a friend who just let them know late this week, and it takes them a few days

Not entirely, I have a friend who just let them know late this week, and it takes them a few days

From what I have heard they are usually very quick with turn-around when someone drops their spot.

There is now an official class facebook page for those of you who have been accepted. Search Class of 2018 SIU SOM (have to request to join).

For those of you still waiting, the FB page only has 40 members including the admins so really about 37 students. Ours has about 73 students so most people who are accepted have FB and will join. Bottom line is hang in there!

Has anyone heard about any movement? The FB page hasn't been growing too fast. Beth mentioned that there hasn't been much movement this year. I don't know if these are good signs or not. Just keep trying to breathe, I suppose.

Beth said that they are still seeing movement but she didn't mention how much movement. She also said that movement will most likely continue until June 1st. After that is slows down a lot. At this point I'm preparing for reapps and if I do end up hearing from SIU, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 3 users
I was informed of my acceptance today and I'm very happy to say I will be attending SIU SOM this fall! I wish those still waiting the best of luck! As you said Hawkeye... "Keep breathing. That's the key! Breathe."

Reactions: 4 users
There's still only about 52 people in the 2018 class FB group

I wonder if that means there are still some folks who are considering giving up their seats. I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst. :)

A bunch of us will be in carbondale during your orientation getting ready to move to Springfield, if you guys want to meet up or if anyone needs a couch to crash on for the weekend message me and we can work something out!

MD Class of 2017

Is there a lot of interaction between first year med students and the other majors of SIU?

If we haven't heard anything after being placed on the AWPA list, it is safe to assume that our chances are low or is there still hope? And would it be advisable to submit AMCAS already?

The only thing that gives me hope now is that there are only 54 members in the Facebook group, some of which are faculty.

I'm in the same position as you Rx286. I just signed up to retake the MCAT because I'm assuming my chances now are really low. Now I'm worried that I'll either not have enough time to study adequately for the exam before I take it, or take it so late in the admissions cycle that it hurts my chances. I decided on a late August test date. But I hope it won't be necessary!

I declined my spot today. Hope one of you will get it! Good luck!

Thanks for letting us know langasbe. That gives me more hope! I'm just curious though: why did you decline now and not earlier?

Thanks for letting us know langasbe. That gives me more hope! I'm just curious though: why did you decline now and not earlier?

I got the offer last Friday...declined this morning so that my place can go to the next person on the list.

Is there a lot of interaction between first year med students and the other majors of SIU?

Not really, you will probably spend essentially all of your time with the people in your tutor group, and with your roommates / the people you get along with. There's a day where you meet with the law students and discuss patient cases and stuff, but most of us didn't really maintain contact with them.

For those of you who haven't gotten off of AWPA, there is still hope right up to the first day of classes. As you've seen people are still turning down spots and things do come up between now and august. However, you should definitely have back-up plans in place, whether it's an MCAT retake/reapplying to the 14-15 cycle, a post-back, a year working and/or boosting ECs, etc.

MD Class of 2017