You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey do you knowif there is a facebook page for class of 18? I can't find one. I would really like to join a group to meet the people I will be going to school with. If there is not one so far I would maybe like to start one, but I don't want to jump the gun.Good luck to all of you who are waiting. Keep us posted![]()
Hey do you knowif there is a facebook page for class of 18? I can't find one. I would really like to join a group to meet the people I will be going to school with. If there is not one so far I would maybe like to start one, but I don't want to jump the gun.
I wouldn't start one yourself - the school will create a group and notify you via email once it has been set up. They don't do that until later in the cycle when most of the AWPA movement has concluded so don't worry about it just yet! There is also a pre-orientation over the summer and an orientation before classes start so you'll have plenty of time to meet your peers. Congrats on your acceptance and matriculation 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you very much. I wasn't sure if those kinds of things tended to be student run groups or school run groups.I wouldn't start one yourself - the school will create a group and notify you via email once it has been set up. They don't do that until later in the cycle when most of the AWPA movement has concluded so don't worry about it just yet! There is also a pre-orientation over the summer and an orientation before classes start so you'll have plenty of time to meet your peers. Congrats on your acceptance and matriculation 🙂
Most classes have 2, one for off the record things, one for on the record stuff. Only one is created by the school. The other is typically student led.Thank you very much. me wasn't sure if those kinds of things tended to be student run groups or school run groups.
Hi, new to SDN, have a brief question. Notified that I am on AWPA list for SIU but that the class is filled. Anyone know if that is a nice way of saying you're not in or if they actually have significant numerical movement on that list? In other words, anyone know approximately how many decline SIU d/t multiple acceptances? Just curious--and hoping!
Thanks
Thanks
Hi, new to SDN, have a brief question. Notified that I am on AWPA list for SIU but that the class is filled. Anyone know if that is a nice way of saying you're not in or if they actually have significant numerical movement on that list? In other words, anyone know approximately how many decline SIU d/t multiple acceptances? Just curious--and hoping!
Thanks
I received the same letter today in the mail. The letter itself says most movement happens on the multiple acceptance deadline, May 15th, and to please be patient.
I'm trying to stay positive 🙂
Same here. I found the numbers from the 2011 class & they indicate they gave out over 150 acceptances, and for 72 seats that seems to mean that they had a large number of people with multiples or that declined, resulting in at least 2x acceptances, if I'm interpreting it right
list moves a lot in May, hang tight.
Same here. I found the numbers from the 2011 class & they indicate they gave out over 150 acceptances, and for 72 seats that seems to mean that they had a large number of people with multiples or that declined, resulting in at least 2x acceptances, if I'm interpreting it right
You're correct, lots of movement to come so don't stress too much for now
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ool-of-medicine-class-of-2018-thread.1063264/
Hey, for anyone who has been accepted, I started this thread a few days ago.
Hey, for anyone who has been accepted, I started this thread a few days ago.
Withdrew my acceptance a few hours ago, good luck! I hope it goes to one of you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted! Thanks to those of you who turned down your seats! lol
I couldn't be more excited right now!
I couldn't be more excited right now!
This is an amazing school. I've been very pleased with everything so far. They treat you very well at this school. I am very happy that I chose to come here over my other options. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them. I know Pasmal hangs out here a lot.
There should be a ton of movement coming up for you guys in just over a week.
Same here FebReb9 and saht. In this trying time our theme song should be "Misery" by Maroon 5: "I am in misery. / And there ain't nobody who can comfort me. Oh yeah. / Why won't you answer me? / The silence is slowly killing me."
I was looking through the SIU forums for previous years and a lot of people knew which quartile they were in on the AWPA list. Does anyone know if we can still get that information?
Hey Muggle,I was looking through the SIU forums for previous years and a lot of people knew which quartile they were in on the AWPA list. Does anyone know if we can still get that information?
I asked a few months ago, and I was told that they could not release that information (i.e. where we are on the list). I was also told that even if we sent letters of intent/continued interest, it's doesn't do much unfortunately. Elizabeth said, "Once you are placed on the AWPA list your spot on the list doesn't change."
.
Last edited:
Should I be worried now that it's May 15 and I still haven't heard anything? Or is the burst of acceptances still to come?
Should I be worried now that it's May 15 and I still haven't heard anything? Or is the burst of acceptances still to come?
I'm feeling the same way....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm worried too. Previous years have showed considerable movement in late April/early May at not just SIU, but other schools I'm hanging out on the waitlist for. I'm wondering if there was just an absurd number of applicants this year for a limited number of seats that hasn't been increased. I do know that May 15-June 15 tends to have the most movement at SIU, so mayhaps more of us will get lucky in the next few weeks.I'm feeling the same way....
Not entirely, I have a friend who just let them know late this week, and it takes them a few days
From what I have heard they are usually very quick with turn-around when someone drops their spot.
There is now an official class facebook page for those of you who have been accepted. Search Class of 2018 SIU SOM (have to request to join).
For those of you still waiting, the FB page only has 40 members including the admins so really about 37 students. Ours has about 73 students so most people who are accepted have FB and will join. Bottom line is hang in there!
Beth said that they are still seeing movement but she didn't mention how much movement. She also said that movement will most likely continue until June 1st. After that is slows down a lot. At this point I'm preparing for reapps and if I do end up hearing from SIU, I will be pleasantly surprised.
6
616548
I was informed of my acceptance today and I'm very happy to say I will be attending SIU SOM this fall! I wish those still waiting the best of luck! As you said Hawkeye... "Keep breathing. That's the key! Breathe."
If we haven't heard anything after being placed on the AWPA list, it is safe to assume that our chances are low or is there still hope? And would it be advisable to submit AMCAS already?
The only thing that gives me hope now is that there are only 54 members in the Facebook group, some of which are faculty.
The only thing that gives me hope now is that there are only 54 members in the Facebook group, some of which are faculty.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the same position as you Rx286. I just signed up to retake the MCAT because I'm assuming my chances now are really low. Now I'm worried that I'll either not have enough time to study adequately for the exam before I take it, or take it so late in the admissions cycle that it hurts my chances. I decided on a late August test date. But I hope it won't be necessary!
Thanks for letting us know langasbe. That gives me more hope! I'm just curious though: why did you decline now and not earlier?
Thanks for letting us know langasbe. That gives me more hope! I'm just curious though: why did you decline now and not earlier?
I got the offer last Friday...declined this morning so that my place can go to the next person on the list.
Is there a lot of interaction between first year med students and the other majors of SIU?
Not really, you will probably spend essentially all of your time with the people in your tutor group, and with your roommates / the people you get along with. There's a day where you meet with the law students and discuss patient cases and stuff, but most of us didn't really maintain contact with them.
For those of you who haven't gotten off of AWPA, there is still hope right up to the first day of classes. As you've seen people are still turning down spots and things do come up between now and august. However, you should definitely have back-up plans in place, whether it's an MCAT retake/reapplying to the 14-15 cycle, a post-back, a year working and/or boosting ECs, etc.
MD Class of 2017
