2022-2023 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also withdrew GL!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Flareicus, @lionWushi or any other current CMS students, could you tell us a little bit about the curriculum in M1/M2? I have a few questions:

1. Are the biweekly exams & quizzes overwhelming, and are they timed per question?
2. How many hours per week would you say CMS students spend in mandatory lectures?
3. Is there any case based learning/PBL during the blocks, and if so, was is helpful?

Thank you!

1. All assessments (at least that I can remember) are timed the same way that the USMLE exams are, so 1.5 mins per question.

The quizzes are meant to help keep you on track for the course and are generally low stakes. Grading varies slightly by course, but generally, you shouldn't need to do any extra prep for them if you're studying consistently throughout the week.

Exams were a bit more hit or miss. I don't know if they reverted it, but for the systems courses our M1 year, they sprang a BS change where they switched it from full NBME to a mix of NBME/professor questions and a lot of the professor questions were written poorly (the GI exam sticks out in particular where they had to throw out 20% of the professor section of the exam because the questions sucked). M2 year exams were a lot better since they returned to all NBMEs with the exception of Neuro/Psych, but those questions are fine since the course director has been the same forever and has spent years refining them.

All that being said, studying was fine and I was able to get through the exams without many issues using a combination of Anking and the popular 3rd party resources (Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, and Sketchy).

2. Mandatory lectures are about 2-5 hours per week. Some weeks are heavier if there's a practical lab, some weeks have nothing at all. Totally manageable and it didn't really affect my studying.

3. You'll have weekly PBLs once you hit the systems blocks. The sessions are on zoom and go for 2 hours after the morning quiz at the end of the week (normally Fridays, but earlier/later on holiday weeks). I personally didn't find them particularly helpful for the material, but it was really nice getting clinical pearls from the preceptors leading the sessions.

• Love
AL I think :/ (No email yet, but I have a new section in my portal) Interviewed 4/4

Members don't see this ad :)
1. All assessments (at least that I can remember) are timed the same way that the USMLE exams are, so 1.5 mins per question.

The quizzes are meant to help keep you on track for the course and are generally low stakes. Grading varies slightly by course, but generally, you shouldn't need to do any extra prep for them if you're studying consistently throughout the week.

Exams were a bit more hit or miss. I don't know if they reverted it, but for the systems courses our M1 year, they sprang a BS change where they switched it from full NBME to a mix of NBME/professor questions and a lot of the professor questions were written poorly (the GI exam sticks out in particular where they had to throw out 20% of the professor section of the exam because the questions sucked). M2 year exams were a lot better since they returned to all NBMEs with the exception of Neuro/Psych, but those questions are fine since the course director has been the same forever and has spent years refining them.

All that being said, studying was fine and I was able to get through the exams without many issues using a combination of Anking and the popular 3rd party resources (Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, and Sketchy).

2. Mandatory lectures are about 2-5 hours per week. Some weeks are heavier if there's a practical lab, some weeks have nothing at all. Totally manageable and it didn't really affect my studying.

3. You'll have weekly PBLs once you hit the systems blocks. The sessions are on zoom and go for 2 hours after the morning quiz at the end of the week (normally Fridays, but earlier/later on holiday weeks). I personally didn't find them particularly helpful for the material, but it was really nice getting clinical pearls from the preceptors leading the sessions.
I can confirm that they did a good job with questions on GI and the other blocks this year. During one of our ACAS sessions they mentioned how the fine-tuned the exams since the inception of the new curriculum.

A at ~12PM!! No email, but it showed up in the portal! First and only acceptance of the cycle. Interviewed 3/28. Still a surreal feeling.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I know most people have already made their decision, but we legit got this email only a few minutes ago. Apparently RFU will no longer reimburse conference registration fees and costs except for those representing CMS in a leadership role. Apparently this is due to Department of Education rules on financial aid in cost of attendance estimates. I think someone asked this question not too long ago. Cheers!

I know most people have already made their decision, but we legit got this email only a few minutes ago. Apparently RFU will no longer reimburse conference registration fees and costs except for those representing CMS in a leadership role. Apparently this is due to Department of Education rules on financial aid in cost of attendance estimates. I think someone asked this question not too long ago. Cheers!
That's good to know!

Is it just me or has the waitlist not moved yet? Still safe to hope that it will move?

Is it just me or has the waitlist not moved yet? Still safe to hope that it will move?
it's only May 2nd, we still have tons of time for ample movement!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the A yesterday! Interviewed 3/28 and the first and only MD acceptance for me. I'm so excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Got the A yesterday! I was in the 3/28 interview group, my first A of the cycle, what a relief!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when we can expect the post-PTE waitlist movement to start? I'm dying over here

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my A earlier today! Best of luck to everyone!!

Does anyone know when we can expect the post-PTE waitlist movement to start? I'm dying over here
According to gyngyn, there was a glitch in the CYMS tool causing data inconsistencies which is very likely the reason behind waitlist movement being so slow the past few days. Schools are unsure of how many they can accept off the WL without the proper data if I understood correctly. I'm assuming we'll start to see it pick up once the glitch gets fixed.

According to gyngyn, there was a glitch in the CYMS tool causing data inconsistencies which is very likely the reason behind waitlist movement being so slow the past few days. Schools are unsure of how many they can accept off the WL without the proper data if I understood correctly. I'm assuming we'll start to see it pick up once the glitch gets fixed.
So this would apply to waitlisted for all schools, not just CMS? Or CMS specifically? Sorry I’m really bad with all the acronyms😅

So this would apply to waitlisted for all schools, not just CMS? Or CMS specifically? Sorry I’m really bad with all the acronyms😅
Yup seems to be affecting all. Some don't care and are still handing out A's but the majority aren't as it looks like there haven't been very many A's the past few days compared to previous years

Have you heard of any timeframe as to when we could expect this to be fixed?

Have you heard of any timeframe as to when we could expect this to be fixed?
It was just fixed earlier today! Hopefully, that means movement begins in earnest from tomorrow but if not, then almost certainly from Monday

• Love
Just withdrew my A, good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does RFU give any perks to students? Just wondering what I need to buy for school

Nothing here. Anyone know if waitlists work as like a first to be waitlisted is at the top or are you placed in a specific position following the decision to WL you?
Hope they let us know soon...

Just got in of the waitlist but I got in off another waitlist Friday so I'm withdrawing my A here. Hope it goes to one of you!

Just got off the waitlist! Interviewed November 1st. Second cycle, only MD acceptance, so happy! URM, 3.29, 515

Any new waitlist movement?
Someone who graduated with me just got in this week off WL, so proof that movement is happening just not being reported very much on here. Hopefully, we will start to see more soon!

We just got another email this morning - CMS reviewed federal regulations again and WILL reimburse conference costs up to $1000 as stated in a previous post! A little confusing but certainly good news.

Their facebook group is increasing but still no news for me. Sad

• Care
  • Sad
Their facebook group is increasing but still no news for me. Sad
Movement this year as far as SDN goes has been disappointing to say the least. Still lots of time left though, hoping the best for us and all the other waitlisted applicants

Just got off the WL with an A!! Sending the best wishes to all!

would also like to know this
UWorld for 6 months for Step 1. They gave us this USMLE secrets book in October- some like it and some do not (I think it's ok). The university does not give us AMBOSS, but typically the incoming class will get a group package to get it at a discount.

UWorld for 6 months for Step 1. They gave us this USMLE secrets book in October- some like it and some do not (I think it's ok). The university does not give us AMBOSS, but typically the incoming class will get a group package to get it at a discount.
Do they provide any supplies like stethoscope, technologies like ipads and laptops?

Very slow WL movement in May '23. It appears there are about 2 acceptances (average) early in the week (typically Mon) and about 1 decline in May '23. Keeping fingers crossed for folks on the WL.

Very slow WL movement in May '23. It appears there are about 2 acceptances (average) early in the week (typically Mon) and about 1 decline in May '23. Keeping fingers crossed for folks on the WL.
The Facebook group has increased by 16 in the past week, so I'm guessing there's a lot of movement it's just not being reported here

The Facebook group has increased by 16 in the past week, so I'm guessing there's a lot of movement it's just not being reported here
Sounds about right.. could be upperclassmen but I doubt it.
Would be helpful if any accepted people on Facebook could verify lol.