2021-2022 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @sweatysweetpotato79 for sharing this year's secondary questions!

2021-2022 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1) Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)

2) Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

3) Create a superhero for your current city, town or municipality. What would they fight? Describe their appearance, name and special powers.
(150 words)

4) What creative/innovative ways have you found to continue to build upon the competencies for entering medical students during the pandemic?

(150 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just received secondary, OOS.

150 word limit for all questions.

1)Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)

2)Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

3) Create a superhero for your current city, town or municipality. What would they fight? Describe their appearance, name and special powers.

4) What creative/innovative ways have you found to continue to build upon the competencies for entering medical students during the pandemic?

If anyone has any ideas of how to tackle #3, I'm all ears.

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary received just now. +1 OOS. What the heck is the superhero prompt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously lol I don't know what a superhero in my city would even do...

1)Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)

2)Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

@wysdoc

Hi, does that question # 2 contain the word "specially" or is it "specifically"? Thanks!

Does anyone know how the fee waiver works for this school? I submitted the secondary, but there wasn't an option to pay/apply the waiver afterwards.

Hi, does that question # 2 contain the word "specially" or is it "specifically"? Thanks!
It says "specially' which is... very strange word choice. Did a double-take, but that's what it is.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Sounds like they were bored of the same old questions and are looking for creativity. Maybe spin something you are passionate about into a superhero.

the superhero question had me laugh so hard lol. for q1 tho, I'm having a hard time writing something different from my disadvantaged essay. any thoughts?

Secondary received today. OOS applicant. Not sure how to answer these in so few words...

(150 words)

(150 words)

Recent graduate. Feel free to ask me whatever.

If I'm being honest, I actually really like both of these questions. Good luck to everyone applying this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really like the superhero question tbh

Reactions: 5 users
optional lmao
The superhero question is absolute nonsense lol. It also says applicants are asked to complete four optional essays to further inform our committee. Are the essays optional or required? That’s kind of confusing.

for some reason I'm having difficulty understanding the #4. How am I supposed to approach that one?

Recent graduate. Feel free to ask me whatever.

If I'm being honest, I actually really like both of these questions. Good luck to everyone applying this year.
Are there some things that you really like about the school that aren't mentioned on their website?

For #4 do you think we should name the competencies that we worked on?
Or just describe the activities?

Ex: Volunteering with Crisis Text Line would be Service Orientation (from AAMC 15 competencies)
or should I just describe volunteering and reflect on that experience?

For #4 do you think we should name the competencies that we worked on?
Or just describe the activities?

Ex: Volunteering with Crisis Text Line would be Service Orientation (from AAMC 15 competencies)
or should I just describe volunteering and reflect on that experience?

Show don’t tell is always king

For #3: “ Adcom man”, where you have mind controlling powers of any med school admission committee 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

My idea was to think about any problem you've ever noticed in your hometown, and create a superhero to solve that problem

My idea was to think about any problem you've ever noticed in your hometown, and create a superhero to solve that problem
do you think it would be okay to talk about my hometown and not the city I currently live in?

EDIT: probably not lol

do you think it would be okay to talk about my hometown and not the city I currently live in?

I think that would be okay if you lived there for a large portion of your life, like until you were 18 or something.

Imo you have a lot of latitude with this prompt, given how it's worded, so I would go for it. I think above all else they're just looking for a) are you cognizant of issues facing your community and b) have you given it any thought, not so much pinpointing which exact town you want to write about

Are there some things that you really like about the school that aren't mentioned on their website?

I'll be honest, I haven't looked at the website since I applied.

I had a good four years and matched my top program and made some solid friends along the way.

Something very specific to me that isn't on the website. I'm a non-traditional student. RFU is one of the most non-trad friendly schools and there were plenty of other non-trads in my class.

I'll be honest, I haven't looked at the website since I applied.

I had a good four years and matched my top program and made some solid friends along the way.

Something very specific to me that isn't on the website. I'm a non-traditional student. RFU is one of the most non-trad friendly schools and there were plenty of other non-trads in my class.

I'm an applicant but wanted to echo this in case other non-trads are reading (am a trad myself but found this fact online). RFU's average age is 25!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I think that would be okay if you lived there for a large portion of your life, like until you were 18 or something.
Imo you have a lot of latitude with this prompt, given how it's worded, so I would go for it. I think above all else they're just looking for a) are you cognizant of issues facing your community and b) have you given it any thought, not so much pinpointing which exact town you want to write about
thank you guys! Would it be okay if it's a different country or do they want us to talk about the current issues in the US?

thank you guys! Would it be okay if it's a different country or do they want us to talk about the current issues in the US?
I would say definitely go for it if you're actually lived there. That can work really well, schools care about global health/global experiences

Hey everyone, I'm new to SDN so I apologize if this question has already been asked or if the question is just straight up unnecessary... But I went to submit my Rosalind secondary today and noticed that under "AMCAS ID," the field is pre-filled with my AMCAS ID plus the text "-AMCAS2022." For example, it looks like this: XXXXXXX-AMCAS2022.

I'm mainly wondering if I should just leave this field as-is, or delete the "-AMCAS2022" portion so that only my actual ID is entered in the textbox?

Thanks in advance!

I just left it bc I assumed that's how the school wants it. Had no problem getting my secondary through

Does anyone know if there is a way to check if the school has received your Casper results? I don't see it on the checklist so I'm confused :(

How are ya'll approaching the challenges question? are you using it like an adversity essay, affected by covid, or something else?

For the challenge question are you guys talking like generally about what adversity you faced in college or are you telling a specific obstacle that you overcame? The question just sounds so general

For the challenge question are you guys talking like generally about what adversity you faced in college or are you telling a specific obstacle that you overcame? The question just sounds so general

It is general. From what I’ve heard rosalind franklin is very forgiving in terms of academic difficulties and such. So if something happened that caused you to not do so well in terms of your record or MCAT you can explain it here!

I haven't received a secondary yet but was wondering if they have a 2 week deadline?

Did anyone receive an email saying "supplemental application materials are incomplete" when they already submitted the secondary? I got an email saying my materials were incomplete today morning, but when I check the status page, I have green checkmarks for everything.

Did anyone receive an email saying "supplemental application materials are incomplete" when they already submitted the secondary? I got an email saying my materials were incomplete today morning, but when I check the status page, I have green checkmarks for everything.
Yeah I got that too... might be general? But then again I took casper two weeks ago so it might be that b/c it hasn't arrived yet

All my materials are submitted and still got this email

Yea, I got the exact same email as well, even though I have everything completed including Casper score.

Did anyone leave the final optional essay question blank? I didn’t have anything to write so I just left it.

"What creative/innovative ways have you found to continue to build upon the competencies for entering medical students during the pandemic?"

I worked as a clinical COVID tester (the real science part) for 2 months before resigning due to a family safety issue. then was hired to do clinical research.

Would this be good to talk about?

Is there a way to check if your Casper score and LOR were received on the portal? I only see "Chicago Medical School Supplemental Application" and my MCAT score report on the checklist.

"What creative/innovative ways have you found to continue to build upon the competencies for entering medical students during the pandemic?"

I worked as a clinical COVID tester (the real science part) for 2 months before resigning due to a family safety issue. then was hired to do clinical research.

Would this be good to talk about?

Yes. Don’t focus on the quoting part.

Is there a way to check if your Casper score and LOR were received on the portal? I only see "Chicago Medical School Supplemental Application" and my MCAT score report on the checklist.
I was just about to ask this too, I don't see anywhere in my portal either

I saw that they don't want any more than three letters of recommendation. My letter packet that I'm using for every other school has five letters in it. Does anyone know if it would be ok for me to just submit the packet and let them read whichever three they want? Or should I ask my letter writers to resubmit their letters individually?