You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Boston University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey everyone, just got back from my interview so I figured I'd post some insights here.
Interview day consisted of a speech from the Dean of Admissions, a single one-on-one interview with a faculty member who sits on the board of admissions, a couple group meetings with faculty members, lunch with 1st and 2nd year students, tour with 3rd and 4th year students, curriculum overview, and a wrap up session with the Dean. Everyone was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable. Interview itself was very conversational, asked broad questions such as why medicine, and tell me a little about yourself. No trick questions! Overall a pretty smooth interview day.
Hope this helps!
As in group interviews? Or as in presentations about the school?
As in different faculty members came to talk to all of us who were interviewing that day. Kind of informal, one of them was a family practitioner and gave us a brief background on herself and what appealed most to her about BU... we each asked questions, overall very conversational. It did't seem like we were being evaluated (but who knows), it seemed more like the faculty were there for our benefit and to answer any type of questions we had about medicine, research, specialties, pretty much anything that came to mind.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected. Complete Aug 26!!
Hm. They skipped me it seems. I was complete mid august.
II, LM~75, 8/18
dates were this upcoming week in october or jan 16th
+1
+1. Maybe silent hold?Hm. They skipped me it seems. I was complete mid august.
Same here...did you get the email apologizing for taking so long to review your app?Hm. They skipped me it seems. I was complete mid august.
complete 8/13 hereHm. They skipped me it seems. I was complete mid august.
I got that email too a couple of weeks ago (late september).Same here...did you get the email apologizing for taking so long to review your app?
been waiting to hear since end of july... really hoping no news is good news.
Anyone hear back from BU lately? It's been so quiet!
Hey guys! Hope interviews and applications are going well for everyone! Any sub-30 interview invites/WLs/acceptances? If so, when were you complete and what were your stats? Thanks for the information and good luck to all applicants!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Hope interviews and applications are going well for everyone! Any sub-30 interview invites/WLs/acceptances? If so, when were you complete and what were your stats? Thanks for the information and good luck to all applicants!
Haha, we must have applied to all the same schools 😉
been waiting to hear since end of july... really hoping no news is good news.
+1
It's gonna be much worse if I get rejected now after waiting all this time since July ahhh
I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, but is there only one interview with the faculty? no student interviews?
All interviewers are faculty members. Some do medical school interviews every week, some only once in a while. AFAIK the only time you will see current students is during the lunch and tour.
Thank you!All interviewers are faculty members. Some do medical school interviews every week, some only once in a while. AFAIK the only time you will see current students is during the lunch and tour.
Congrats!
Great attitude! Congrats!!II today! Lizzym >71, OOS, complete since first week of AUGUST, available dates are early to mid Nov
Don't give up hope guys! I was complete for >2.5 months and still got an II
II today! Lizzym >71, OOS, complete since first week of AUGUST, available dates are early to mid Nov
Don't give up hope guys! I was complete for >2.5 months and still got an II
God bless you. I've been complete for a month and I'm starting to lose it.
Stats if you don't mind sharing? 🙂 congrats!II today!! complete mid-august, got that "we're still reading your app" email.
dates were for really late october (wednesday) and two days in January.
Anyone else having trouble getting a host for interviews in the first week of November?
open
Was the interview open or closed file?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else get an invitation for the diversity discussion thing at 3PM? Not sure if it was a blanket email sent to everyone who is interviewing or if it was to me specifically. I hope it wasn't specifically addressed to me as I lack cultural diversity and it sounds like that is their focus...
Rejected 🙁 It was definitely a reach but it still hurts.
Anyone else get an invitation for the diversity discussion thing at 3PM? Not sure if it was a blanket email sent to everyone who is interviewing or if it was to me specifically. I hope it wasn't specifically addressed to me as I lack cultural diversity and it sounds like that is their focus...
Yes but I'm a minority so I expected it. I guess they do send it to everyone then?
Also rejected today, but received an acceptance elsewhere! Best of luck to all still in the running 🙂
They do. All are welcome to the diversity (optional) portion of the day.Yes but I'm a minority so I expected it. I guess they do send it to everyone then?
Does anyone know how many applicants BU interviews and how many they accept? I read somewhere that they interview about 1,000 applicants but only accept ~300?! I'm interviewing here soon and this is making me nervous.
Dean gave similar numbers at my interview...he also gave like a 20 minute speech on how this is the most competitive cycle ever and most of us will be rejected/wait listed etc. A little bit disheartening to say the least.
Wow that's.....depressing. This is my only upcoming interview for now. Got wait-listed at the last one.
How did your interview go? Any insights/tips?
Interviews are an hour long. My guy just talked about ethical issues the whole time (single payer system vs. private system etc). One of the elevators will only go straight to the top floors from the lobby......don't take that elevator. Also, bring an umbrella. Weather seems a bit fickle in Boston.
Also, this school stresses diversity more than any other school I have seen. Very proud of being the first to have women and minorities in their class like a hundred years ago. Just try and stress diversity in your interview.
I guess it depends who you get as an interviewer... my interview was very laid back, mostly broad questions about background and why medicine, no ethics questions whatsoever... as soon as you arrive you get a schedule of what your day will look like as well as a page with background information on your interviewer. Might be a good idea at the end of the interview to ask about their profession or their research, people often like to talk about themselves.All good advice! Thanks, m.a.r.r. To be honest I don't even know what that means, so I'm going to look it up right now.
It seems like this interview isn't going to be as "chill" as everyone says on the SDN interview feedback page, haha.
Interviews are an hour long. My guy just talked about ethical issues the whole time (single payer system vs. private system etc). One of the elevators will only go straight to the top floors from the lobby......don't take that elevator. Also, bring an umbrella. Weather seems a bit fickle in Boston.
Also, this school stresses diversity more than any other school I have seen. Very proud of being the first to have women and minorities in their class like a hundred years ago. Just try and stress diversity in your interview.
Ooh sounds like this healthcare class I'm taking will actually come in handy.
Thanks for the tips! This is my next interview. Too stoked to visit Boston!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the axe. First "official" rejection. OOS, LizzyM 72, Complete 9/10
So sorry to hear that. Did you get an email or did you see it on the portal? I was complete on 9/11 so mine should be coming up...so nervous.
I got an email from them titled "application review". I haven't checked my portal in a while.So sorry to hear that. Did you get an email or did you see it on the portal? I was complete on 9/11 so mine should be coming up...so nervous.
I got an email from them titled "application review". I haven't checked my portal in a while.
Thank you. Good luck on the rest of your cycle!
Interviewing here tomorrow, my last interview of the cycle. I would turn away my other offers for a spot at BU hands down. Definitely my top choice and so excited!!!
.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K