You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
II earlier this afternoon! Never saw this one coming since I added Duke on late. I am incredibly pumped.![]()
II invite today as well! I applied not long ago, and so I didn't expect to hear back from Duke, let alone so quickly. Still not sure if it's real...
Last edited:
Thanks Cambover! My interview is actually later this week, so I ended up getting a hotel instead (just to be safe). Regardless, thanks for getting back to me!We just got the ball rolling at this end and you should be able to request a host. Not sure if you have to call or they email you about it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone has interviewed on here, how was it? I have mine in six days, and I'm somewhat intimidated. It doesn't help that this is the first MMI-type that I have had.
I could be wrong, but I believe their first day of interviews was today; I interview there very soon, and I'll definitely post a little thing on my mdapps about it. Also feel free to PM me at the end of the week about it!If anyone has interviewed on here, how was it? I have mine in six days, and I'm somewhat intimidated. It doesn't help that this is the first MMI-type that I have had.
I could be wrong, but I believe their first day of interviews was today; I interview there very soon, and I'll definitely post a little thing on my mdapps about it. Also feel free to PM me at the end of the week about it!
Didn't know these were the first days of interviews. Thanks! Good luck in yours!
If anyone has interviewed on here, how was it? I have mine in six days, and I'm somewhat intimidated. It doesn't help that this is the first MMI-type that I have had.
I did! I was pretty scared of the MMI at first, but once you settle in it's not bad. The raters were friendly and it started to feel like an interesting game after the first couple of sessions.
Both the associate dean and associate director of admissions here are absolutely incredible people. Even if I get a harsh rejection from here, at least I had the awe-inspiring opportunity to meet with these two individuals.
EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is: get really excited about interview day. Even if you hate MMI's, or even if they go terribly, you will still get to meet the admissions faculty. Their "speeches" make the taxing secondary completely worth it.
EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is: get really excited about interview day. Even if you hate MMI's, or even if they go terribly, you will still get to meet the admissions faculty. Their "speeches" make the taxing secondary completely worth it.
Last edited:
Both the associate dean and associate director of admissions here are absolutely incredible people. Even if I get a harsh rejection from here, at least I had the awe-inspiring opportunity to meet with these two individuals.
EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is: get really excited about interview day. Even if you hate MMI's, or even if they go terribly, you will still get to meet the admissions faculty. Their "speeches" make the taxing secondary completely worth it.
+1 to all of this. It gave me inspiration moving forward in this process.
@wolverine2015grad and @Scarlett218 I totally agree! Btw the Duke people mentioned an exit survey that we need to complete before the application process can move forward. Do either of you know where to access it?
They said it would be attached in an email, I believe.@wolverine2015grad and @Scarlett218 I totally agree! Btw the Duke people mentioned an exit survey that we need to complete before the application process can move forward. Do either of you know where to access it?
Wolverine's protocol: If I don't receive the email tonight or tomorrow, then I'll check my portal online. If it doesn't show up anywhere by Monday, then I'll come to SDN. If others on SDN have got it, then I'll call the admissions office.
Sounds like a plan!They said it would be attached in an email, I believe.
Wolverine's protocol: If I don't receive the email tonight or tomorrow, then I'll check my portal online. If it doesn't show up anywhere by Monday, then I'll come to SDN. If others on SDN have got it, then I'll call the admissions office.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't sell yourself out! The way I believe most schools extend II's (someone feel free to correct me if this is way off base) is they do an initial screen of applicants, and they send II's to the people they really want. After that, they re-review the completed applications that were good, but not jaw-dropping, and pick and choose some of those people to extend II's to.Complete Aug 6th, should I just wait for the rejection? It seems people who were completed after me have gotten IIs.
Until Duke formally rejects you, there's always a real chance of an II! 🙂
Don't sell yourself out! The way I believe most schools extend II's (someone feel free to correct me if this is way off base) is they do an initial screen of applicants, and they send II's to the people they really want. After that, they re-review the completed applications that were good, but not jaw-dropping, and pick and choose some of those people to extend II's to.
Until Duke formally rejects you, there's always a real chance of an II! 🙂
I am subscribing to this train of thought and keeping my hopes up for Duke to love me one of these days!
I'll just wait for rejections...if it turns out that Duke indeed reciprocates my love. Then..............then.................then.........................Fireworks, Dancedancedance! and Happy ever-after!Don't sell yourself out! The way I believe most schools extend II's (someone feel free to correct me if this is way off base) is they do an initial screen of applicants, and they send II's to the people they really want. After that, they re-review the completed applications that were good, but not jaw-dropping, and pick and choose some of those people to extend II's to.
Until Duke formally rejects you, there's always a real chance of an II! 🙂
I think you just fused "sell yourself short" and "count yourself out" haha.Don't sell yourself out!
Whoops!I think you just fused "sell yourself short" and "count yourself out" haha.
Complete Aug 6th, should I just wait for the rejection? It seems people who were completed after me have gotten IIs.
Last year, I was complete in early August but didn't get an II until November. I got in.
I know others that got II's in January, interviewed in February, and got in.
It's not over until it's over!
For those who interviewed: seems like the interview fb survey posts the next day. I see it now on my secondary app portal.
Is anyone else here interviewing on October 30th? I'm interested in splitting rental car costs since $40/person for the shuttle each way seems absurd.
I think I watched one of their speeches on youtube for PS inspiration. he was talking about how important the personal aspects are [great speech, but still made me wonder when I had classmates w/ poor social skills but great numbers get into duke. idk]Both the associate dean and associate director of admissions here are absolutely incredible people. Even if I get a harsh rejection from here, at least I had the awe-inspiring opportunity to meet with these two individuals.
EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is: get really excited about interview day. Even if you hate MMI's, or even if they go terribly, you will still get to meet the admissions faculty. Their "speeches" make the taxing secondary completely worth it.
Uber for a single person is about $26Is anyone else here interviewing on October 30th? I'm interested in splitting rental car costs since $40/person for the shuttle each way seems absurd.
Both the associate dean and associate director of admissions here are absolutely incredible people. Even if I get a harsh rejection from here, at least I had the awe-inspiring opportunity to meet with these two individuals.
EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is: get really excited about interview day. Even if you hate MMI's, or even if they go terribly, you will still get to meet the admissions faculty. Their "speeches" make the taxing secondary completely worth it.
After reading your blurb (always superb, btw), I really REALLY want a Duke II 🙂 If only just to hear this magnificent speech 😉
Been complete since July 3... wrote SUPER long essays, 74.5 LizzyM, tons of research, ties to NC and Duke, but still waiting! I'm not giving hope until I get the rejection letter 😀 And I LOVE your attitude @Abstractions
anybody know if duke is receptive to update letters pre-interview? i have some pretty big updates (publication, and a few others). thanks!
Is anyone else here interviewing on October 30th? I'm interested in splitting rental car costs since $40/person for the shuttle each way seems absurd.
I'm interviewing that day as well!! I live in the area - send me a message if you still need a ride 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uber for a single person is about $26
Is it easy enough to get an Uber from the airport ? (And I guess to the airport as well)
Sent II in on Sept. 7th. Status says: Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee. Anybody just get an interview? What date did you send your II in?
Sent II in on Sept. 7th. Status says: Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee. Anybody just get an interview? What date did you send your II in?
II = Interview Invite, not secondary 😉
Sent II in on Sept. 7th. Status says: Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee. Anybody just get an interview? What date did you send your II in?
II means interview invite. I think you are referring to your secondary 🙂
Sent II in on Sept. 7th. Status says: Application Screening - Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee. Anybody just get an interview? What date did you send your II in?
II means "interview invite." But I think they move through apps quickly so you might hear soon!
haha, my first post and I already made myself sound silly. whoops! Thanks guys!
No it's pretty counter intuitive! I think people keep using it for that reason. Good luck though! Hopefully you'll hear back in the next few weeks but be sure to check your online status they have changed statuses before sending emails in previous cycles.
No it's pretty counter intuitive! I think people keep using it for that reason. Good luck though! Hopefully you'll hear back in the next few weeks but be sure to check your online status they have changed statuses before sending emails in previous cycles.
I definitely consider learning that II means interview and not secondary is an SDN rite of passage 😛
Not silly. . . just worried, like all the rest of us!! 🙂haha, my first post and I already made myself sound silly. whoops! Thanks guys!
It was really easy when I was there. There were about 3 UberX drivers just hanging at or near the airportIs it easy enough to get an Uber from the airport ? (And I guess to the airport as well)
Is it easy enough to get an Uber from the airport ? (And I guess to the airport as well)
It was really easy when I was there. There were about 3 UberX drivers just hanging at or near the airport
Still a smart question to ask, since many airports are very strict about not letting Uber cars pick up there.
Interviewed on Monday and it was fantastic. If anyone has any questions about interview day, feel free to message me. Good luck to everyone!
Interviewed on Monday and it was fantastic. If anyone has any questions about interview day, feel free to message me. Good luck to everyone!
Glad to hear it went well! I do love the comments by Dean Armstrong on the website 🙂
Did you by any chance take the MCAT last year on August 3? I think I remember you from the threads that time since that's when I took the MCAT myself. Glad to see your cycle is going so phenomenally!
Dean Armstrong spoke in the morning and it was impressive. You must be confusing me with someone else because I didn't take it until May of this year, but thanks!
No it's pretty counter intuitive! I think people keep using it for that reason. Good luck though! Hopefully you'll hear back in the next few weeks but be sure to check your online status they have changed statuses before sending emails in previous cycles.
Hard to balance on that fine line of obsessively checking/maintaining sanity. Who knew this process would be so difficult!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since Duke does non-rolling admissions, is there any real benefit to interviewing earlier than later?
Since Duke does non-rolling admissions, is there any real benefit to interviewing earlier than later?
No, shouldn't matter if you interview later. But submitting later might negatively affect your applications, if you haven't already gotten an interview and they've already filled most of their interview slots.
Last edited:
II received yesterday, I had the choice of four days (one Thursday, three Mondays): November 20, December 1, 8, and 15
I'm interested in knowing as well! Any answers?anybody know if duke is receptive to update letters pre-interview? i have some pretty big updates (publication, and a few others). thanks!
Congrats blue guy! May I ask when were you complete?II received yesterday, I had the choice of four days (one Thursday, three Mondays): November 20, December 1, 8, and 15
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K