-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Florida International University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone who was accepted this past week, and good luck to those of you who are still waiting! Four years ago I was in the same place as you all. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to PM me.
Also got the admissions review completed status
Good luck to us all !

Good luck to us all !


On another note, the school started a new local TV show that I think is really awesome. For those who want to see it, it's here:
They focus on the social determinants of health in the South Florida community, and how the medical school addresses that. Fascinating!
They focus on the social determinants of health in the South Florida community, and how the medical school addresses that. Fascinating!
ACCEPTED. My dream school! I have no words. I'm so excited. 🙂😍
Got an email not too long ago. Been placed on their alternate list.
Seems promising still (hopefully...)
Same here... It seems like I'm getting waitlisted everywhere.
ACCEPTED. My dream school! I have no words. I'm so excited. 🙂😍
Congrats!!
ACCEPTED. My dream school! I have no words. I'm so excited. 🙂😍
Congrats!
Same here... It seems like I'm getting waitlisted everywhere.
Hang in there... I'm assuming we won't hear back until the very end of this whole cycle, worst case scenario. Let's keep up hope!
Accepted!!! I had a pretty awesome interviewer, I think I lucked out haha
Their Neighborhood Help program is pretty amazing and I feel like the school's on the rise.
Their Neighborhood Help program is pretty amazing and I feel like the school's on the rise.
Very unexpectedly, I was accepted! Missed the phone call, so got the news through email first!
I actually think I messed up the first interview a bit by saying FAU instead of FIU (which was a result of back to back interviews). Feeling grateful, and very surprised. Good luck everyone!!! 🙂
I actually think I messed up the first interview a bit by saying FAU instead of FIU (which was a result of back to back interviews). Feeling grateful, and very surprised. Good luck everyone!!! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted today by phone call! First acceptance and so so so very excited. Interviewed 10/3. I received an acceptance email a few hours after the call. For those asking about the deposit, I believe there is no deposit to hold your seat until the end of April. To hold a seat after that deadline, you must submit the nonrefundable deposit of $100. Good luck to everyone!
II just now!!! Complete late July, IS applicant, LizzyM <70 Super excited!!
Congrats! So weird they sent it out on a Sunday night...
Thank you! I was very surprised too haha!Congrats! So weird they sent it out on a Sunday night...
Me too. Such a tease!im just getting annoyed now..i have the "secondary completed" status since mid july
over 3 months..no status changeStatus just changed to prelim review complete after 3 months of no status changes.
Keepin my fingers crossed for an II
Sameover 3 months..no status change
over 3 months..no status change
+3
Better no status change than to be at preliminary review complete since August with no II. I'm sure I've been passed over :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're out of state, getting put on the alternate list is pretty standard. I was accepted off the alternate list after being on it since January last year. I'm pretty sure they take a lot of people off that list. Try not to stress too much.Got an email not too long ago. Been placed on their alternate list.
Seems promising still (hopefully...)
I have an interview this coming Monday (the 17th) but I still haven't received my confirmation email or information about the day. Does anyone know when I can expect to receive this or should I call?
OMG Admissions Committee Review Completed TODAY 11/18!! I'm dying to know!! XD
AMCAS submitted 7/17, AMCAS processed 8/15.
Secondary received 8/18, secondary submitted 8/28.
Interview invitation over phone 10/17, assigned interview date 10/20.
Admission Committee Review Scheduled on 10/27, Admissions Committee Review Completed 11/18!
AMCAS submitted 7/17, AMCAS processed 8/15.
Secondary received 8/18, secondary submitted 8/28.
Interview invitation over phone 10/17, assigned interview date 10/20.
Admission Committee Review Scheduled on 10/27, Admissions Committee Review Completed 11/18!
Last edited:
Interview invitation over phone 10/17, assigned interview date 10/20.
Are you an FL resident? That's a pretty tight move. I'm an OOS trying to pull off a similar stunt by booking last minute flights... long story short, $$$$
Anyways, best of luck!
Are you an FL resident? That's a pretty tight move. I'm an OOS trying to pull off a similar stunt by booking last minute flights... long story short, $$$$
Anyways, best of luck!
Yeah, I went to FIU for my undergrad and live in Miami ^-^ There was another person who interviewed the same day as me and was notified just a couple of days before also, and he was a Senior at FIU. Maybe they add in a few people that they figure live in the area at the last minute if they have some space on interview day 🙂
Thank you and good luck to you too! 😀
OMG Admissions Committee Review Completed TODAY 11/18!! I'm dying to know!! XD
AMCAS submitted 7/17, AMCAS processed 8/15.
Secondary received 8/18, secondary submitted 8/28.
Interview invitation over phone 10/17, assigned interview date 10/20.
Admission Committee Review Scheduled on 10/27, Admissions Committee Review Completed 11/18!
OMGGGG I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY 11/19 BY PHONE!!!!

GPA 3.58
MCAT 27
Did my undergrad at FIU
No research
Shadowed 125 hours
Volunteered 200+ hours playing piano in a hospital
Got my Licensed Practical Nursing license in high school, worked as an LPN over 1000 hours
My MCAT shows that it's possible for a less than stellar MCAT to still be accepted into an incredible program!!!
Just make your application unique and show how special you are

My interview day was amazing - although it was my first interview, my interviews with both interviewers was my best interview experience thus far 😀
I'm soooo very happy and excited, FIU is my #1 choice!!!

OMGGGG I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY 11/19 BY PHONE!!!!
GPA 3.58
MCAT 27
Did my undergrad at FIU
No research
Shadowed 125 hours
Volunteered 200+ hours playing piano in a hospital
Got my Licensed Practical Nursing license in high school, worked as an LPN over 1000 hours
My MCAT shows that it's possible for a less than stellar MCAT to still be accepted into an incredible program!!!
Just make your application unique and show how special you are
My interview day was amazing - although it was my first interview, my interviews with both interviewers was my best interview experience thus far 😀
I'm soooo very happy and excited, FIU is my #1 choice!!!![]()
![]()
Congratulations!!! 🙂 so happy for you
Thank you!!!! 😀Congratulations!!! 🙂 so happy for you
So from what I understand, the interviews are going to be semi-blinded. This has been bugging me for a while... what will they know about us? Wondering if they'll slip something from my AMCAS/secondary into conversation...
OMGGGG I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY 11/19 BY PHONE!!!!
GPA 3.58
MCAT 27
Did my undergrad at FIU
No research
Shadowed 125 hours
Volunteered 200+ hours playing piano in a hospital
Got my Licensed Practical Nursing license in high school, worked as an LPN over 1000 hours
My MCAT shows that it's possible for a less than stellar MCAT to still be accepted into an incredible program!!!
Just make your application unique and show how special you are
My interview day was amazing - although it was my first interview, my interviews with both interviewers was my best interview experience thus far 😀
I'm soooo very happy and excited, FIU is my #1 choice!!!![]()
![]()
WOOO!! Future classmates!!!!
If I remember correctly, they'll have your secondary essays...So from what I understand, the interviews are going to be semi-blinded. This has been bugging me for a while... what will they know about us? Wondering if they'll slip something from my AMCAS/secondary into conversation...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary Received 7/24
Secondary Submitted 10/12
Interview Invitation 11/17
Interview date 11/24 (tomorrow!!)
Any last minute advice for the interview would be greatly appreciated! Also, is anyone familiar with the typical amount of time it takes to find out the decision from admissions after the interview?
Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow as well 🙂
Secondary Submitted 10/12
Interview Invitation 11/17
Interview date 11/24 (tomorrow!!)
Any last minute advice for the interview would be greatly appreciated! Also, is anyone familiar with the typical amount of time it takes to find out the decision from admissions after the interview?
Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow as well 🙂
By chance are you OOS?? Or low stats?still secondary application complete status since 7/26. This is just annoying.
I noticed mine changed to preliminary review completed in early November (I was complete mid Sept, I think). I'm in state and have strong ties to the Miami area, though.
Also, is anyone familiar with the typical amount of time it takes to find out the decision from admissions after the interview?
About 4 weeks