You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Florida State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi, what do you mean "don't cross Tennessee Street"? I'm not from Tally but I stayed in a hotel on Tennessee when I went up to interview and I didn't notice anything sketchy.. then again it was only like 6 minutes from the school. Do you mean to stay south of Tennessee like where the school is? Thanks!Don't cross Tennessee Street if you are looking for apartments for FSU Med school...that's a really bad idea, some of the worst crime in the city happens there. I toured the Luxe, and it is really nice but REALLY expensive. It isn't that you want to avoid most places that are close to FSU Med, it is that you want to avoid ones on the wrong side of Tennessee, IMHO.
So let's say you are going on Tennessee towards the school from the North end of town. When you get to the area of Tennessee with the school, if you are making a right to get to an apartment, it is most likely high risk. But if you are making a left ( which is going more towards the school, stadium, etc.) and stay away from the right side of Tennessee, you should be good.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, what do you mean "don't cross Tennessee Street"? I'm not from Tally but I stayed in a hotel on Tennessee when I went up to interview and I didn't notice anything sketchy.. then again it was only like 6 minutes from the school. Do you mean to stay south of Tennessee like where the school is? Thanks!
Like most college towns, parts of the campus are smack in the middle of residential urban areas. Therefore so are the apartments near campus. You have to be careful anywhere but I've never been particularly scared of any of those areas but maybe that's just me. I've also never really heard of any crazy activities in those areas either. However, if you are looking for a nice apartment near campus, you probably don't want something smack in the middle of a run down residential area populated by non students. Keep in mind that whatever you get near campus that is in any sense luxurious, will be expensive. The luxe is nice and right across the street from the med school but ive heard that it not at all worth the money. It's small and though they are quite new have bug issues. If you are going to pay and arm and a leg you want it to be worth it. I would say seminole flatts is one of the most worth the money apts that he in walking distance from the school. Also I drive to campus because I live a couple lights up the road and anytime before 9 is fine. Anytime after you will be in hell.
Like most college towns, parts of the campus are smack in the middle of residential urban areas. Therefore so are the apartments near campus. You have to be careful anywhere but I've never been particularly scared of any of those areas but maybe that's just me. I've also never really heard of any crazy activities in those areas either. However, if you are looking for a nice apartment near campus, you probably don't want something smack in the middle of a run down residential area populated by non students. Keep in mind that whatever you get near campus that is in any sense luxurious, will be expensive. The luxe is nice and right across the street from the med school but ive heard that it not at all worth the money. It's small and though they are quite new have bug issues. If you are going to pay and arm and a leg you want it to be worth it. I would say seminole flatts is one of the most worth the money apts that he in walking distance from the school. Also I drive to campus because I live a couple lights up the road and anytime before 9 is fine. Anytime after you will be in hell.
Okay, that's more understandable. I'm not looking at The Luxe because of the price but I have been looking at Seminole Flatts, thanks for your input!
So with all of this housing talk here is a nice map my friend who just moved out of Tallahassee drew up for me. Colors:
Green=Good
Yellow= Ehh
Red= Bad
Black/Grey= indifferent
Green=Good
Yellow= Ehh
Red= Bad
Black/Grey= indifferent
^^ moral of the story: don't live in Frenchtown lol
Sorry to ask again, but does anyone know about in the are emails???
Anyone else waiting to hear back this week?
Placed on hold :/
How did you hear? Pre interview or post?Placed on hold :/
How did you hear? Pre interview or post?
Post interview hold via email
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted today via email 🙂 is there a class facebook?
Welcome to the team fingers-crossed! And noleknight16, I really hope you can be my classmate 😀 Holding out for you!
Congrats future classmate! & There is a class fb but I don't know who manages it. Some of us that were accepted almost 3+ weeks ago still haven't gotten into the group.Accepted today via email 🙂 is there a class facebook?
As far as I know they go through April.Still hoping for an interview 😀 Anyone know how long the interviews go for? IS, 67 LizzyM
Welcome to the team fingers-crossed! And noleknight16, I really hope you can be my classmate 😀 Holding out for you!
Thank you! That means a lot to me. I am definitely disappointed by the news, but I will stay positive and hope for the best. I really want to be at FSU-COM.
I'm definitely in the same boat. I think I'm sending an in the area email soon though.I have been under review since 9/4/14, and I have sent an update letter. They did respond and tell me they would update my file, so i'm guessing all is well(?). Is anyone in the same boat as I am? All i've heard is silence, and i'm starting to fret.
For those of you who are accepted and want on the Fb page, please make sure that you are on the following page https://www.facebook.com/groups/628931030482962/
Anyone currently on the page should be able to add you
Anyone currently on the page should be able to add you
For those of you who are accepted and want on the Fb page, please make sure that you are on the following page https://www.facebook.com/groups/628931030482962/
Anyone currently on the page should be able to add you
Yup, we were added in today!
Congrats!! : DAccepted today via email 🙂 is there a class facebook?
so they are still sending out interviews? ive had interviews/acceptances from other state schools but have yet to hear a thing from ANY florida school and i'm a resident :/ wonder what that means?
NewTima I think it would be at Second Look. If not sooner, but I'm pretty sure at second look we would hear something.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
me! praying!Anyone here hoping for consideration for the Bridge Program?
This just made my day!FSU y u no luv me??
My friend was telling me of a current M1 who interviewed around March and got accepted in April. Don't lose hope guys!
any recent interview invites?
Just got one this morning. Won't be attending. Good luck!any recent interview invites?
Just got one this morning. Won't be attending. Good luck!
Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing Stats? IS/OOS?
Congrats to all of those who will join the FSU COM for the c/o 2019! I'm a 4th year currently and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience at FSU. Your going to have a great experience!
The doctor I work for (Dr. Robert Thornberry) is currently building an apartment complex near the med school. They will be brand new and open in May 2015. There are only 10 units and he anticipates them to go fast. The 1 bedroom is around $1000, but it has over 1,000sf and a separate study. The 2 bedroom is around $1200. They include parking and possibly cable/big screen tv. They look reallllly nice. And they're going to have shops underneath the apartments - hair salon, clothing, food, iv therapy. You can walk to the med school in 5 minutes!
Anyway, if you want to check it out, contact Miranda Ard at 850-702-9100 to get the details! They should have the website up soon, and I'll post that when it's ready.
Anyway, if you want to check it out, contact Miranda Ard at 850-702-9100 to get the details! They should have the website up soon, and I'll post that when it's ready.
The doctor I work for (Dr. Robert Thornberry) is currently building an apartment complex near the med school. They will be brand new and open in May 2015. There are only 10 units and he anticipates them to go fast. The 1 bedroom is around $1000, but it has over 1,000sf and a separate study. The 2 bedroom is around $1200. They include parking and possibly cable/big screen tv. They look reallllly nice. And they're going to have shops underneath the apartments - hair salon, clothing, food, iv therapy. You can walk to the med school in 5 minutes!
Anyway, if you want to check it out, contact Miranda Ard at 850-702-9100 to get the details! They should have the website up soon, and I'll post that when it's ready.
View attachment 189717 View attachment 189718
Thank you for sharing : ) Do you know if they will be furnished?
For an extra $100/month they can be furnished!Thank you for sharing : ) Do you know if they will be furnished?
II today! Submitted way back in July. It's never too late!
idk if u posted your stats before, but do u mind sharing them here?II today! Submitted way back in July. It's never too late!
LizzyM ~ 67idk if u posted your stats before, but do u mind sharing them here?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know the dress code for second look? Formal attire, business casual, etc.
Business casualDoes anyone know the dress code for second look? Formal attire, business casual, etc.
I know my friend who is a M2 right now got a lenovo thinkpad with touchscreen. He would use it for lectures and everything because I'm pretty sure it came preloaded with textbooks and notes. He was a big Mac guy so he also had a MBP for his own personal use. At my interview I spoke to the students who did the tour and they all said they used their laptops as their primary computer.Does anyone have information regarding the technology we receive? How advanced are the laptops we receive? And do most students use the school-issued laptops or personal laptops?
We received Lenovo thinkpads back when I was a 1st year - it's a 4 year old archaic dinosaur now, but back then the laptop was very advanced. The laptops they give now are usually upper-tier Lenovo/IBM products. We also received ipod touch's, not everyone needed one because of already having a smartphone, but I didn't at the time and it was very useful. You also get a really nice backpack, usually something rugged, think Ogio-type backpack. Bear in mind though that any tech you receive will need to be turned back in when you graduate - no biggie since it's very outdated at that point. The tech isn't free either - you pay for it in tuition. FSU takes good care of their students, I've had a great time here.