2014-2015 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wow. I didn't know that! I might look into renting a car then. But the shuttle is only 135 for both ways. Then I don't have to pay for gas or worry about parking. Either way, thanks everyone for the info!

I've been looking around, and it looks like most rental agencies in Michigan will rent if you're over 18. Problem is they tack on vague "underage fees" (~$50/DAY or more) that you most likely won't know about until you get to the kiosk. I think I'm stuck with the shuttle 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First rejection of the cycle. Oh well, more than likely the first of many, but hopefully not too many. Complete 7/15
 
First rejection as well. Strings more than I thought it would. Hopefully hear some good news from elsewhere this week. Good luck to everyone!
 
First rejection of the cycle. Oh well, more than likely the first of many, but hopefully not too many. Complete 7/15

I'm sorry to hear that🙁. Hope you hear from someplace else. if you don't mind, tell us your stats? OOS/IS?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How was interview day? And how many people are their in one batch? Thanks!
Hey, I interviewed here last week. There were 25 candidates, from across the country. I'm an IS applicant, but there were many out-of-staters so I thought that was fun as I got a chance to brag about the Metro Detroit area lol. The whole day was really relaxed and welcoming. I was most impressed with two things: the medical students, who were really eager to talk about their school, and the tour of Beaumont Hospital, where many of the clinical rotations are done. Truly one of the nicest hospitals I have ever stepped foot in. Both my interviewers were nice and kind of just let me talk about whatever I wanted. No grueling questions! Overall, I left with a really strong and positive impression of the school. Definitely a place I could see myself spending the next few years.
 
Hey, I interviewed here last week. There were 25 candidates, from across the country. I'm an IS applicant, but there were many out-of-staters so I thought that was fun as I got a chance to brag about the Metro Detroit area lol. The whole day was really relaxed and welcoming. I was most impressed with two things: the medical students, who were really eager to talk about their school, and the tour of Beaumont Hospital, where many of the clinical rotations are done. Truly one of the nicest hospitals I have ever stepped foot in. Both my interviewers were nice and kind of just let me talk about whatever I wanted. No grueling questions! Overall, I left with a really strong and positive impression of the school. Definitely a place I could see myself spending the next few years.
Hey thanks!
 
Hey, I interviewed here last week. There were 25 candidates, from across the country. I'm an IS applicant, but there were many out-of-staters so I thought that was fun as I got a chance to brag about the Metro Detroit area lol. The whole day was really relaxed and welcoming. I was most impressed with two things: the medical students, who were really eager to talk about their school, and the tour of Beaumont Hospital, where many of the clinical rotations are done. Truly one of the nicest hospitals I have ever stepped foot in. Both my interviewers were nice and kind of just let me talk about whatever I wanted. No grueling questions! Overall, I left with a really strong and positive impression of the school. Definitely a place I could see myself spending the next few years.

I interviewed a week ago as well and can second this. The hospital tour was very impressive and the medical students were proud of their school. The interviews were fairly relaxed; I didn't get any unexpected questions. I'd also note that the interview group itself was a really interesting and fun set of people. One of the highlights for me was simply meeting the other interviewees!
 
I interviewed a week ago as well and can second this. The hospital tour was very impressive and the medical students were proud of their school. The interviews were fairly relaxed; I didn't get any unexpected questions. I'd also note that the interview group itself was a really interesting and fun set of people. One of the highlights for me was simply meeting the other interviewees!

Thanks for the update! Anyone else interviewing on Oct. 10th?
 
II today!!!!! Unbelievable😍 Complete 7/14. I had even lost hope for hearing from this school! Keep hope alive guys. Never was put on hold.

congrats!! stats if you don't mind? i was complete 7/14 and hoping to hear good news!
 
ouch, rejected after being placed on hold
gotta be thankful im not being strung along though
 
Rejected here too after being on hold since July. My first rejection of the cycle 🙁 Good luck to those still in the running!
 
ouch, rejected after being placed on hold
gotta be thankful im not being strung along though

Rejected here too after being on hold since July. My first rejection of the cycle 🙁 Good luck to those still in the running!

Was there an actual "Hold" update or had you just not heard back at all? Going on 10 Weeks since I have been complete here... and no update.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview Invite this morning!! cant believe my good fortune this cycle, this is my 7th interview invite (3rd MD!!) Im from Cali, 3.7gpa, 29 MCAT (8 in VR) Im debating whether or not I can afford to go.. still thrilled with the opportunity and I feel really blessed. supplemental complete 7/17
 
Does Oakland do updates or look at apps based on completion dates? Cuz it seems ppl complete 7/15-7/17 have heard back but no updates on my end. Complete 7/13. Does adding extra info by attaching a file delay my review?
 
Does Oakland do updates or look at apps based on completion dates? Cuz it seems ppl complete 7/15-7/17 have heard back but no updates on my end. Complete 7/13. Does adding extra info by attaching a file delay my review?
+1 Complete since 7/12
 
They received my secondary and LORs on 8/5; however, I never got an application completion date!!!
Is this unusual? I'm curious if something's wrong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They received my secondary and LORs on 8/5; however, I never got an application completion date!!!
Is this unusual? I'm curious if something's wrong.
They don't send application completion emails per say. Just a confirmation that they received your secondary.. and the portal will say your application is complete.
 
They don't send application completion emails per say. Just a confirmation that they received your secondary.. and the portal will say your application is complete.
Right, I logged onto their site to check status...There was no date given for "Application Complete"
Don't they establish the application has been completed before the other updates?
 
Right, I logged onto their site to check status...There was no date given for "Application Complete." Don't they establish the application has been completed before the other updates?
There is no completion date on my portal as well. Once they receive everything, they update it to "application complete." That is just how it is supposed to be.