You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Oakland University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You have time to pre-write then, you should get them promptly afterwards.haven't received any secondaries yet, just finished MCAT on the 15th tho, does anyone think this could a a reason
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's like grocery stores and a nice mall in a neighboring city; there's a little bit of diversity (upper class). Honestly, not much of anything else though. Just suburbs.Anyone know if there's anything to do in Rochester?
There's like grocery stores and a nice mall in a neighboring city; there's a little bit of diversity (upper class). Honestly, not much of anything else though. Just suburbs.
Is it worth staying the weeked? Sounds like no...
To be honest, definitely no.Is it worth staying the weeked? Sounds like no...
As of yesterday 110 interview spots are filled out of 475. That seems like a lot to me this early in the game! Almost 25%... Looks like IIs go out Wednesdays.
Where is the tracker?
You could go drive up a few hours up north Michigan though if you had the time, a lot of people really like it there. If you went to OU though, I doubt you'd be going to Northern Michigan that much just because the weather (last year at least) was called worse than the North Pole.Is it worth staying the weeked? Sounds like no...
Rejected
OOS 3.5+ 32+
Complete ~7/15
OOS 3.5+ 32+
Complete ~7/15
I'm sorry to hear that. When were you complete?Rejected
OOS 3.5+ 32+
Complete ~7/15
Read my post lolI'm sorry to hear that. When were you complete?
My sister lives in Rochester. In the winter their downtown area is really cute--they cover all the buildings in LED Christmas lights. There's some good restaurants around there and nice trails and a big park for biking/walking/running. I've always had fun when I visit her.Anyone know if there's anything to do in Rochester?
Wow I am blind! HahaRead my post lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete 7/2 and still nothing!! Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I send an email or something?i was complete 7/13 and its been 6 weeks since i was complete...still no update..anyone complete around this time and not heard back?
i was complete 7/13 and its been 6 weeks since i was complete...still no update..anyone complete around this time and not heard back?
Yeah, I was complete 7/14 and still no word.
did everyone receive a complete email?
did everyone receive a complete email?
I don't think I did
Woah. I just got an II! Did not expect that!!! Good luck, everyone! Interviews seriously come in when you least expect them.
Congrats! When were you complete/stats?Woah. I just got an II! Did not expect that!!! Good luck, everyone! Interviews seriously come in when you least expect them.
Thanks!Congrats! When were you complete/stats?
3.6 cGPA/3.5 sGPA, 33 MCAT
complete 7/11
Has anyone interviewed here? Any advice on how it went?
Flat-out rejection!
Man, that feels good!
i'm sorry to hear that🙁..When were you complete?
Last edited:
Flat-out rejection!
Man, that feels good!
Sorry to hear that but I am envious of your closure haha. Tell me my fate OU!!
i'm sorry to hear that🙁..When were you complete?
Complete July 15th-ish.
3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT. OOS.
But I already have another II at my top choice MD, so I am rather content at this point in the cycle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview Positions Filled: 158 (As of 08/27/14)
Damn...still nothing...sigh
can you link the status? Thanks so much
I was complete 7/2 and still nothing!! Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I send an email or something?
Same here. Twitter page tweeted yesterday, "App reviews are taking longer than normal. Volumes are high. If you haven't heard, we are still considering you. Expect 6-8 weeks." Then on the 1st they tweeted, "Every completed app (AMCAS, secondary, and letters) is read twice before a decision is made regarding an interview." So everybody hang in there. No news is better than a straight rejection right now!
Last edited:
6
605536
Interview Positions Filled: 158 (As of 08/27/14)
Damn...still nothing...sigh
They're anticipating 475 interviews, just to give a denominator 😛
Any idea how many acceptances they usually make? Trying to gauge what chances would be if granted an interview.
Lol, there's still hope for us!They're anticipating 475 interviews, just to give a denominator 😛
For people who are really hoping and/or betting on an acceptance/interview invite from OU (or really feel like they need it), I would personally recommend applying to more schools. I had a LOT of factors in my favor for getting an II here, but was rejected two weeks ago and had my application complete for this school the first day it was possible (I think June 30th or July 1st). I'm not bitter about this rejection, but I know for a lot of people from Michigan and/or people with lower stats who are hedging on an acceptance here or at least interview invite, I just want to throw out my experience and hope it can help them. My stats were higher than this school's and in addition to this, I have a number of friends from the Oakland county and who would arguably be really good fits for this school and with good stats who were also rejected. Just wanted to throw this out there-- I think this message is essentially reinforcing what people above me and in former OU threads have said.
6
605536
For people who are really hoping and/or betting on an acceptance/interview invite from OU (or really feel like they need it), I would personally recommend applying to more schools. I had a LOT of factors in my favor for getting an II here, but was rejected two weeks ago and had my application complete for this school the first day it was possible (I think June 30th or July 1st). I'm not bitter about this rejection, but I know for a lot of people from Michigan and/or people with lower stats who are hedging on an acceptance here or at least interview invite, I just want to throw out my experience and hope it can help them. My stats were higher than this school's and in addition to this, I have a number of friends from the Oakland county and who would arguably be really good fits for this school and with good stats who were also rejected. Just wanted to throw this out there-- I think this message is essentially reinforcing what people above me and in former OU threads have said.
Really sorry to hear. I have had a similar experience at my local medical school as well. While it would be absolutely amazing to go to school in your home area, it truly is about how badly you want to become a doctor. If it's real bad, you'll apply to many schools!
For people who are really hoping and/or betting on an acceptance/interview invite from OU (or really feel like they need it), I would personally recommend applying to more schools. I had a LOT of factors in my favor for getting an II here, but was rejected two weeks ago and had my application complete for this school the first day it was possible (I think June 30th or July 1st). I'm not bitter about this rejection, but I know for a lot of people from Michigan and/or people with lower stats who are hedging on an acceptance here or at least interview invite, I just want to throw out my experience and hope it can help them. My stats were higher than this school's and in addition to this, I have a number of friends from the Oakland county and who would arguably be really good fits for this school and with good stats who were also rejected. Just wanted to throw this out there-- I think this message is essentially reinforcing what people above me and in former OU threads have said.
How much higher were your stats? Its pretty common for a school like oakland to reject people with very high stats.
Denied this morning via email. Good luck to the rest of you.
Hey everyone! I'm scheduled to have an interview here on Friday September 26th. I fly into Detroit airport in the 25th, and was wondering of anyone wanted to split a shuttle service with me! I already have it scheduled, so let PM me.
Denied this morning via email. Good luck to the rest of you.
I'm sorry to hear that. Stats/when were you complete if you don't mind?
Hey everyone! I'm scheduled to have an interview here on Friday September 26th. I fly into Detroit airport in the 25th, and was wondering of anyone wanted to split a shuttle service with me! I already have it scheduled, so let PM me.
It's pretty much a straight shot on the highways. I would highly recommend renting a car over those shuttles, especially because I heard the shuttles gouge you.
It's pretty much a straight shot on the highways. I would highly recommend renting a car over those shuttles, especially because I heard the shuttles gouge you.
What do you mean by gouge you? I'm doing the shuttle thing in two weeks. Renting a car is so expensive especially if you're underage...
I'd also be willing to share to cut down some costs so if you fly in on the 11th, just PM me!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you mean by gouge you? I'm doing the shuttle thing in two weeks. Renting a car is so expensive especially if you're underage...
I'd also be willing to share to cut down some costs so if you fly in on the 11th, just PM me!
Just that they overcharge. I never had an issue with renting a car and I found ones for around $22 a day.
Just that they overcharge. I never had an issue with renting a car and I found ones for around $22 a day.
As in I just looked for rental cars at DTW and found them for at cheapest 22 a day.
See, I woul rent a car, but I'm only 22 and I believe you have to be 25 to rent a car.Just that they overcharge. I never had an issue with renting a car and I found ones for around $22 a day.
if you are 20-24 they just charge a little more, sometimes around double the price.See, I woul rent a car, but I'm only 22 and I believe you have to be 25 to rent a car.
I've been looking around, and it looks like most rental agencies in Michigan will rent if you're over 18. Problem is they tack on vague "underage fees" (~$50/DAY or more) that you most likely won't know about until you get to the kiosk. I think I'm stuck with the shuttle 🙁See, I woul rent a car, but I'm only 22 and I believe you have to be 25 to rent a car.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K