You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Oakland University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Secondary, gonna bang it out by tonight. Letters are included with the primary right?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Folks,
Re-Applicant OOS 34/3.75. Optional essays, why you so vague?
Re-Applicant OOS 34/3.75. Optional essays, why you so vague?
Confused, my LoR are on AMCAS but not visible in the supplemental application? What should I do...?
Let me know what they tell you, because I have the same prob.
Please and Thank you
Re: Putting down 2 lab courses
I e-mailed them and I got a response saying that they only require one lab requirement, so just put down either one if you have done two.
For biology & chemistry -- I have taken upper level classes for both (for intro Bio, I used AP credit) ... Do I list upper level courses or lower level courses? I have better grades in the upper level ones lol
Was wondering the same thing... I took 2 grad biochem courses and did much better than in undergrad. Still can only list the undergrad course right?
Was wondering the same thing... I took 2 grad biochem courses and did much better than in undergrad. Still can only list the undergrad course right?
Yeah I had the same question. I emailed the admissions office yesterday, hopefully I will hear back on Monday about it. Gonna crank out these essays today. Best of luck guys!
For biology & chemistry -- I have taken upper level classes for both (for intro Bio, I used AP credit) ... Do I list upper level courses or lower level courses? I have better grades in the upper level ones lol
I would say list the lower-level ones, since the pre-reqs SEEM to be all very general or introductory classes. I thought about the same thing, since my upper-level biology classes have stronger grades. However, they have all of your classes in your AMCAS file, so cherry picking classes probably won't really matter here.
For the 3rd optional question (Please explain any gaps in your education, if applicable.) do you think it would be appropriate to mention any of the following?
1) Program was almost 5 years long (no semesters/summers off) rather than the more traditional 4 year degree because I had several internships
2) After graduation I worked for almost 2 years before doing postbac courses for prerequisites
1) Program was almost 5 years long (no semesters/summers off) rather than the more traditional 4 year degree because I had several internships
2) After graduation I worked for almost 2 years before doing postbac courses for prerequisites
How do you guys answer this question?
What type of information could go here?
Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.
What type of information could go here?
Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.
I'm using it for a diversity essay.How do you guys answer this question?
What type of information could go here?
Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
probably bothAlso is the second question more about explaining why you took time off or what did you do in your time off??
Also is the second question more about explaining why you took time off or what did you do in your time off??
Should I bother to say I'm currently in a gap year?
Chromealt, how is the first thing you said a gap (a "five years long program") if you say you studied for 5 years straight? I think #2 is what they're looking for.
That's true that it's not really a gap... but it is a pretty nonstandard program where I had quite a few academic terms during the summer, which I feel like many schools kind of frown upon. Just didn't know whether this would be a place to point it out if at all.
Does year mean freshman or the actual year (2011) that you took the course?
I went with the actual year. Not sure though since the instructions aren't terribly clear.Does year mean freshman or the actual year (2011) that you took the course?
Mine's not visible too. Have you figured it out?Confused, my LoR are on AMCAS but not visible in the supplemental application? What should I do...?
Should I bother to say I'm currently in a gap year?
I'm taking a gap year too, so I'm just saying that I am and explaining what I'm doing during that year
Does Oakland accept Online credit? Trying to fill out my secondary but not sure if I should put my online biochem class...
I'm taking a gap year too, so I'm just saying that I am and explaining what I'm doing during that year
Gotcha.
Does Oakland accept Online credit? Trying to fill out my secondary but not sure if I should put my online biochem class...
I'm pretty sure online classes don't show up on your transcript. A class is a class, regardless.
Mine's not visible too. Have you figured it out?
+1
YesIf i applied after graduating from university
as in graduated Jun 2013
applied to AMCAS Jun 2014
matriculate, hopefully, 2015
how many years off is that? 2 or 1?
does the application year 2014-2015 count as a year off?
2 years. Same as me.
A penny for everyone's thoughts (lots of pennies!):
For essay 2: did you guys use this as a diversity essay essentially? Or more strictly qualifications for medical schools?
For essay 3: when they say explain any gaps, do they mean time gaps, as in if you took any time off from school? Or is this a super unique new-gen way of saying please explain any discrepancies in your academic performance?
For essay 2: did you guys use this as a diversity essay essentially? Or more strictly qualifications for medical schools?
For essay 3: when they say explain any gaps, do they mean time gaps, as in if you took any time off from school? Or is this a super unique new-gen way of saying please explain any discrepancies in your academic performance?
I did essay 2 as strictly qualifications. Therefore, I feel that everything I had to tell about myself has been portrayed in my primary, and left this essay blank.A penny for everyone's thoughts (lots of pennies!):
For essay 2: did you guys use this as a diversity essay essentially? Or more strictly qualifications for medical schools?
For essay 3: when they say explain any gaps, do they mean time gaps, as in if you took any time off from school? Or is this a super unique new-gen way of saying please explain any discrepancies in your academic performance?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what do you mean by 'strictly qualifications'I did essay 2 as strictly qualifications. Therefore, I feel that everything I had to tell about myself has been portrayed in my primary, and left this essay blank.
did you do the essay or no?
Received secondary today as well and am verified.
I have a question regarding the prerequisite coursework. If I had 2 lab courses separate from the lecture component, how would I list that as there is only one row for the lab?
same problem here 🙁
Is essay #3 just asking you to explain any time you weren't in school (e.g. gap year job), or is it asking you to explain odd gaps where you didn't do anything?
A time when you were not in school. Like if you took a year off in between because your house caught on fire. Or if you graduated ten years ago and you've been working as a nurse. This question doesn't apply if you are a recent 2014 grad and you're not doing anything right now.
A penny for everyone's thoughts (lots of pennies!):
For essay 2: did you guys use this as a diversity essay essentially? Or more strictly qualifications for medical schools?
For essay 3: when they say explain any gaps, do they mean time gaps, as in if you took any time off from school? Or is this a super unique new-gen way of saying please explain any discrepancies in your academic performance?
I did essay 2 as strictly qualifications. Therefore, I feel that everything I had to tell about myself has been portrayed in my primary, and left this essay blank.
what do you mean by 'strictly qualifications'
did you do the essay or no?
Secondary submitted this morning! OOS, 3.69cGPA, 30 MCAT.
Edit
Yeah I had the same question. I emailed the admissions office yesterday, hopefully I will hear back on Monday about it. Gonna crank out these essays today. Best of luck guys!
did they give you any information regarding this? I was wondering the same thing….
is anyone's letters being shown as recieved
Mine wasn't when I submitted my app :/
Submitted finally.
Anyone know how if the second optional essay is a "only write things if realllllly needed" or is it truly optional?
haha feel weird leaving it blank!
haha feel weird leaving it blank!
Anyone know how if the second optional essay is a "only write things if realllllly needed" or is it truly optional?
haha feel weird leaving it blank!
The prompt is pretty clear in my opinion. If you have something to say that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere on your app or AMCAS, you have the option to talk about it if you want. Otherwise, they do not want to see anything that would be seen elsewhere on your application.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary submitted!
Do we need a photo?
Do we need a photo?
Nay.
Complete. 

Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K