You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Rush Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So in the LoRs tab, it asks to put down our letter writers and only gives us 3 spots...I have a letter packet with 5 letters...What do I do?
Maybe they want the name of the advisor in which the Packet is under, so they can verify thats the right packet?? Idk
Maybe they want the name of the advisor in which the Packet is under, so they can verify thats the right packet?? Idk
Just wanted to make sure what I saw on MSAR wasn't a typo... Rush seems to hand out few interviews, but if you get one, you have a pretty decent shot at an acceptance. Does that sound about right?
Data?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That awkward moment when you can't submit the Rush secondary because you can't upload a photocopy of your passport to prove your U.S. citizenship because you don't have access to a scanner until after July 4th because your alma mater's library is closed on the 4th...
So in the LoRs tab, it asks to put down our letter writers and only gives us 3 spots...I have a letter packet with 5 letters...What do I do?
Maybe they want the name of the advisor in which the Packet is under, so they can verify thats the right packet?? Idk
I have a packet and a committee letter, I think I'm going to put the name of the staff member that I listed on AMCAS.
So in the LoRs tab, it asks to put down our letter writers and only gives us 3 spots...I have a letter packet with 5 letters...What do I do?
Maybe they want the name of the advisor in which the Packet is under, so they can verify thats the right packet?? Idk
I believe they are asking for the name of the advisor that the packet is under so that they can match them up faster. That's what I chose at least.
I can't because my baby book is missing its birth certificate, so I have to go to the courthouse on Monday and get a new one. Annoying that you can't use a license...That awkward moment when you can't submit the Rush secondary because you can't upload a photocopy of your passport to prove your U.S. citizenship because you don't have access to a scanner until after July 4th because your alma mater's library is closed on the 4th...
for LoR page on secondary, I picked the type of letter and entered the name of the recommender and saved, but when I look at the page again, the information I entered was lost, but the top of the page says that the page is complete.... ??? my letter of rec is not in yet, so maybe that's why? has anyone else had this issue?? and are we supposed to see our letter of rec listed on that page to select? I'm not sure if they'll let me submit the secondary or not. i have to wait on getting my birth certificate photocopied before I can try to submit.
Also, i have a committee letter, and i just entered the name of the person that is in charge of the letter, and it's also the same name as what i entered in my primary.
Also, i have a committee letter, and i just entered the name of the person that is in charge of the letter, and it's also the same name as what i entered in my primary.
Last edited:
+1Any current Rush students in here that can speak on the unique aspects of the school?
The school's website isn't exactly informative and I would like to hear a current student's opinion of the college.
+1
The school's website isn't exactly informative and I would like to hear a current student's opinion of the college.
Under curriculum they have some interesting tidbits about their clerkships, early clinical exposure, and wikipedia has some tidbits too. I scraped together enough info to answer the secondary question.
^I got the Rush secondary a bit late too.
If any current/past Rush medical students wouldn't mind helping me out, what are some great attractions to the school? I know Rush has very exciting community-service initiatives, and a very vibrant student atmosphere it seems, but what else do you guys like about your school? I'm finding it unusually difficult to find much information for my "Why Rush" that wouldn't be repeating what I've already stated in the rest of my Rush secondary…
THANK YOU in advance!!
If any current/past Rush medical students wouldn't mind helping me out, what are some great attractions to the school? I know Rush has very exciting community-service initiatives, and a very vibrant student atmosphere it seems, but what else do you guys like about your school? I'm finding it unusually difficult to find much information for my "Why Rush" that wouldn't be repeating what I've already stated in the rest of my Rush secondary…
THANK YOU in advance!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a heads up, make sure you have a digital/electronic copy of your passport or U.S. Birth certificate ready. Rush requires you to prove your U.S. citizenship by uploading a photocopy of one of those documents. It's a pain in the ass to get these lol.Why you no secondary rush?!
What are you talking about? I never picked a single volunteering experience for my secondaryI have multiple volunteering experience, but do I have to pick 3? Can I pick 1 or 2?
As a general rule, character limits ALWAYS include spaces.Also, are these character counts including spaces?
Just wanted to make sure what I saw on MSAR wasn't a typo... Rush seems to hand out few interviews, but if you get one, you have a pretty decent shot at an acceptance. Does that sound about right?
I was accepted to Rush this past cycle and will be starting in August. I was told by Jill Volk that Rush had about 9,500 applications last cycle and gave out about 400-450 interviews for a matriculating class of 128. So given that there is waitlist movement (I was actually waitlisted before I was accepted), I would say that yes, your chances of getting in are definitely fair once you have interviewed.
One of the question was "Identify community service activities in which you have participated in during the last five years.What are you talking about? I never picked a single volunteering experience for my secondary
Check all that apply." and then you had to explain.
I just need to scan the front page of my passport, right?Just a heads up, make sure you have a digital/electronic copy of your passport or U.S. Birth certificate ready. Rush requires you to prove your U.S. citizenship by uploading a photocopy of one of those documents. It's a pain in the ass to get these lol.
One of the question was "Identify community service activities in which you have participated in during the last five years.
Check all that apply." and then you had to explain.
The question was-- have you ever done medical community service? non medical? both? or none? and then explain:
2c. Based on these experiences, please describe what you learned through your involvement, the attributes you would bring to Rush Medical College, and the impact you would have on the greater Rush Community (2000 characters).
It's just how have these experiences helped you grow.
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.I just need to scan the front page of my passport, right?
Ahh thanks! Is it bad if I don't pick 3? I can meaningfully talk about 2 of mine.The question was-- have you ever done medical community service? non medical? both? or none? and then explain:
2c. Based on these experiences, please describe what you learned through your involvement, the attributes you would bring to Rush Medical College, and the impact you would have on the greater Rush Community (2000 characters).
It's just how have these experiences helped you grow.
it sounds like zinthafan either skipped 2b or forgot about it. the question says up to 3. if you can talk about 2 best then go with 2Ahh thanks! Is it bad if I don't pick 3? I can meaningfully talk about 2 of mine.
I still haven't gotten one either. I thought perhaps it was because my committee letter isn't in yet. I'm not sure, though.I still haven't gotten the secondary to this school. 🙁 Any idea what's going on? I thought they send to all applicants.
Ahh thanks! Is it bad if I don't pick 3? I can meaningfully talk about 2 of mine.
it sounds like zinthafan either skipped 2b or forgot about it. the question says up to 3. if you can talk about 2 best then go with 2
Sorry Andrew-- Houston9's right. I don't think I understood what the 2c question was asking until now. And I was just about to submit too!!
I still haven't gotten one either. I thought perhaps it was because my committee letter isn't in yet. I'm not sure, though.
hmm, all my LORs are in and I still haven't gotten mine 🙁.
Just a heads up, make sure you have a digital/electronic copy of your passport or U.S. Birth certificate ready. Rush requires you to prove your U.S. citizenship by uploading a photocopy of one of those documents. It's a pain in the ass to get these lol.
Are they serious? My birth certificate is locked in my apartment a five hour plane ride from where I am, and will be until September. That's mildly annoying...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad ya caught it!Sorry Andrew-- Houston9's right. I don't think I understood what the 2c question was asking until now. And I was just about to submit too!!
One of the question was "Identify community service activities in which you have participated in during the last five years.
Check all that apply." and then you had to explain.
haven't gotten secondary yet...Q: how many activities max can be pick and explain in the secondary?
3haven't gotten secondary yet...Q: how many activities max can be pick and explain in the secondary?
Submitted AMCAS on the first day OOS, but still no secondary. Does anyone know if Rush screens primaries?
Submitted AMCAS on the first day OOS, but still no secondary. Does anyone know if Rush screens primaries?
Nothing here either, sent out on the first day, "competitive" here. I think they are just sending them in batches. Plus, this way I can focus on the other ones I've got until Rush arrives.
Finally submitted the Rush secondary!
Nothing here either, sent out on the first day, "competitive" here. I think they are just sending them in batches. Plus, this way I can focus on the other ones I've got until Rush arrives.
Same position. I wonder why schools send them out in batches, though, if not because they're screening. Why not have a big automation send them all out, then everyone starts at the same time returning them?
Same position. I wonder why schools send them out in batches, though, if not because they're screening. Why not have a big automation send them all out, then everyone starts at the same time returning them?
Might be something about overloading the system? I think UCF said they sent out about 100 to test (and found a problem), then sent out another 700 when it was fixed. I think they still had about 200 to do after the holiday weekend. It could also just be a time consuming thing to set up and do.
+ Anyone else having the same issue? However my letters have already been sentfor LoR page on secondary, I picked the type of letter and entered the name of the recommender and saved, but when I look at the page again, the information I entered was lost, but the top of the page says that the page is complete.... ??? my letter of rec is not in yet, so maybe that's why? has anyone else had this issue?? and are we supposed to see our letter of rec listed on that page to select? I'm not sure if they'll let me submit the secondary or not. i have to wait on getting my birth certificate photocopied before I can try to submit.
Also, i have a committee letter, and i just entered the name of the person that is in charge of the letter, and it's also the same name as what i entered in my primary.
I've had this issue so many times; I entered the info in like 20 times, saved it, and then it was gone. At the very end before submitting for real, I just didn't bother going back to check whether or not the information had been saved. They have my packet; hopefully that should be enough.+ Anyone else having the same issue? However my letters have already been sent
Ugh. My passport expired in February, apparently...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to make sure what I saw on MSAR wasn't a typo... Rush seems to hand out few interviews, but if you get one, you have a pretty decent shot at an acceptance. Does that sound about right?
2014-15 Class Profile
AMCAS Applications Received 9428
Completed Applications 6876
Number of Interviews 435
Illinois Resident 178
Out-of-State Resident 257
Matriculants = 128
Number of States of Residence of Matriculants 25
Number of Undergraduate Institutions of Matriculants 79
Average Science GPA (4-pt scale) 3.57
Average MCAT Score - Composite 30.87
Less than 1 in 3 matriculate. I don't know if those are "good odds." Rush has amazing research opportunities, but the numbers always make you feel like you're playing the lottery with each school... CMON LUCKY NUMBER 7!!!!
2014-15 Class Profile
AMCAS Applications Received 9428
Completed Applications 6876
Number of Interviews 435
Illinois Resident 178
Out-of-State Resident 257
Matriculants = 128
Number of States of Residence of Matriculants 25
Number of Undergraduate Institutions of Matriculants 79
Average Science GPA (4-pt scale) 3.57
Average MCAT Score - Composite 30.87
Less than 1 in 3 matriculate. I don't know if those are "good odds." Rush has amazing research opportunities, but the numbers always make you feel like you're playing the lottery with each school... CMON LUCKY NUMBER 7!!!!
That's matriculate. So there are more that get accepted and choose another school.
2014-15 Class Profile
AMCAS Applications Received 9428
Completed Applications 6876
Number of Interviews 435
Illinois Resident 178
Out-of-State Resident 257
Matriculants = 128
Number of States of Residence of Matriculants 25
Number of Undergraduate Institutions of Matriculants 79
Average Science GPA (4-pt scale) 3.57
Average MCAT Score - Composite 30.87
Less than 1 in 3 matriculate. I don't know if those are "good odds." Rush has amazing research opportunities, but the numbers always make you feel like you're playing the lottery with each school... CMON LUCKY NUMBER 7!!!!
Yeah only a third matriculate but schools always send out more offers than the matriculate number shows.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K