You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Rush Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
is volunteering at a hospital and also as a tutor at a community college considered a 'community service?'
volunteering definitely and as long as you didn't get paid for the tutoring then yes.is volunteering at a hospital and also as a tutor at a community college considered a 'community service?'
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although tutoring is classified as teaching on AMCAS.volunteering definitely and as long as you didn't get paid for the tutoring then yes.
Although tutoring is classified as teaching on AMCAS.
well i didnt get paid for tutoring or being a teaching assistant
Right. It still is volunteering. But it is still classified as teaching on AMCAS.well i didnt get paid for tutoring or being a teaching assistant
The AMCAS classification shouldn't matter for this though if its specifically community service right?Right. It still is volunteering. But it is still classified as teaching on AMCAS.
No not at all. As long as you made it clear you were not paid you will be golden.The AMCAS classification shouldn't matter for this though if its specifically community service right?
D
DenTony11235
Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.
Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.
I only submitted the committee letter. It definitely did not seem like they were open to more.
i like how this secondary isn't redundant at all.
Anyone have any idea where to find information on the school? The last secondary question regarding campus opportunities is a little difficult to answer when I can't find anything about them. As a side note, their site is irritatingly difficult to navigate.
I posted a link dump on pg 3 of the thread: Here
This may help someone in the same position: my school has a pre-med committee but I wasn't a part of our pre-med club in college so was unable to get a committee letter (which is apparently required by rush). I emailed Rush and they said it's ok to just select the 3 individual letters option.
You had to join pre-med club to qualify for getting a committee letter? That's some BS right there lol.This may help someone in the same position: my school has a pre-med committee but I wasn't a part of our pre-med club in college so was unable to get a committee letter (which is apparently required by rush). I emailed Rush and they said it's ok to just select the 3 individual letters option.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You had to join pre-med club to qualify for getting a committee letter? That's some BS right there lol.
Nah, it was the same deal for me at my undergraduate institution. Like Ruby109 stated above, I substituted this "requirement" with three individual letters.
That's fine and all, I don't have a problem with that. However, I know that some people hate being labeled as a "premed." No one should be forced to join "premed club" to get a committee letter from their school's PreHealth Committee. For WUSTL, we get a "cover letter" for our "letter packet" after we send in all of our LORs and answer some required questions that simulate common secondary questions. We don't have to join our Pre-Med Society club or even label ourselves as "premed." The only time we had to say we're "pre-medical" was when we created our online account that the PreHealth Committee uses to keep track of LOR's. Premed stigma is bad enough that some people don't wanna be associated with it, even though they're going down that path.Nah, it was the same deal for me at my undergraduate institution. Like Ruby109 stated above, I substituted this "requirement" with three individual letters.
That's fine and all, I don't have a problem with that. However, I know that some people hate being labeled as a "premed." No one should be forced to join "premed club" to get a committee letter from their school's PreHealth Committee. For WUSTL, we get a "cover letter" for our "letter packet" after we send in all of our LORs and answer some required questions that simulate common secondary questions. We don't have to join our Pre-Med Society club or even label ourselves as "premed." The only time we had to say we're "pre-medical" was when we created our online account that the PreHealth Committee uses to keep track of LOR's. Premed stigma is bad enough that some people don't wanna be associated with it, even though they're going down that path.
I happily never called myself or let others call me premed 🙂
Finally complete! Tough secondary...
Tough secondary but I think Rush really cares about the responses, it's not just a hoop.
For the photocopy of passport, do you think it would be acceptable for me to just take a picture of it with my phone? I dont have access to a functioning scanner at the moment
I just took a picture, what difference does it make. haha im clearly a citizen
I thought I was almost done... Spent several hours carefully crafting the other three essays. Then I clicked one of the buttons on 2a and 2c popped up... 2000 characters.Just got the secondary. OOS. Was verified early June.
Definitely not enjoying 2b... why yes, I would love to repeat my ECs, thank you very much.

Regarding the "understanding patients with a culture difference" question, do you think defining undeserved communities as a type of culture would be a bit of a stretch here? It appears they are looking more for the general idea of ethnic cultural differences, but many of my EC's are spent in these communities soooo.......

"Undeserved"? So rude. Everyone deserves community.Regarding the "understanding patients with a culture difference" question, do you think defining undeserved communities as a type of culture would be a bit of a stretch here? It appears they are looking more for the general idea of ethnic cultural differences, but many of my EC's are spent in these communities soooo.......![]()
Now, if you were to write about the underserved, I would say you might be able to make that work. 😀
I would either apply DO or wait until next cycle. Both, if your MCAT doesn't improve, I'm afraid. Schools aren't taking September MCATs for this cycle.Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).
Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants IS (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).
On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?
I would either apply DO or wait until next cycle. Both, if your MCAT doesn't improve, I'm afraid. Schools aren't taking September MCATs for this cycle.
Yeah, :/ I plan on sending applications to both DO and MD. And according to MSAR all the schools that i'm applying to are accepting september MCAT scores (i even emailed 6 of them)
I don't know why you're posting in every school forum asking for advice. Make a new thread in WAMC. Honestly it's not looking good for MD.Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).
Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants IS (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).
On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?
I talked to admissions about this because I thought that was very misleading. They confirmed that they did get my application. They also said they'd bring up how misleading it is to their systems person.Does Rush send a complete email? Because on my secondary its red for Submit Application but on the Status page it says my Application was Submitted...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else discovering that for most secondary essays you either wish they gave you way more words/characters, or wish they gave you far less.
I'm trying to cram everything into 1000 characters for the "why Rush" essay, I could definitely use a few more characters to work with
I'm trying to cram everything into 1000 characters for the "why Rush" essay, I could definitely use a few more characters to work with
I hear that!I have not received a secondary from this school, is anyone in my boat?
Do they only send it out once the primary has been verified?
You can classify tutoring as volunteering or teaching in your application, depending on how you see it. AMCAS doesn't require you to classify tutoring as any specific category.Although tutoring is classified as teaching on AMCAS.
I'm fairly certain it lists tutoring under that category. But you are right.You can classify tutoring as volunteering or teaching in your application, depending on how you see it. AMCAS doesn't require you to classify tutoring as any specific category.
I thought I was almost done... Spent several hours carefully crafting the other three essays. Then I clicked one of the buttons on 2a and 2c popped up... 2000 characters.![]()
Woooooooooooooowwww.. Just noticed because you said this.
Hey, applying here OOS. Had a question regarding the secondary. For the second question...three significant volunteer activities...did everyone talk about three? Anybody just have two? Do you think it would look bad to have only two? Thanks in advance.
Hey, applying here OOS. Had a question regarding the secondary. For the second question...three significant volunteer activities...did everyone talk about three? Anybody just have two? Do you think it would look bad to have only two? Thanks in advance.
Another OOS guy here. For the sake of having a coherent story and sparing repeating myself in the "greatest accomplishment" essay , I chose only to talk about two of my most significant activities. Will that hurt? I don't know.
Just realized I'm essentially screwed for Rush. I did most of my community service stuff years ago. Most of it doesn't count under the 5 year window.
Ugh.
Ugh.
I'm confused- for the options for community service setting, we are only given rural, urban, or underserved. If it doesn't fall into one of those three categories, are we not supposed to put in down? I volunteered in a suburban emergency room, which doesn't fall into either of the three categories.
I'm confused- for the options for community service setting, we are only given rural, urban, or underserved. If it doesn't fall into one of those three categories, are we not supposed to put in down? I volunteered in a suburban emergency room, which doesn't fall into either of the three categories.
Please note the "other" category.
Please note the "other" category.
I don't have that option- it's on the same scroll down bar as the other three options?
submitted!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm confused- for the options for community service setting, we are only given rural, urban, or underserved. If it doesn't fall into one of those three categories, are we not supposed to put in down? I volunteered in a suburban emergency room, which doesn't fall into either of the three categories.
To go off that, what if the experience sorta covers two of these three sections? For example, I volunteered tutoring kids at a downtown library. It wasn't just for underserved kids, but a majority of the kids were underserved...
Another OOS guy here. For the sake of having a coherent story and sparing repeating myself in the "greatest accomplishment" essay , I chose only to talk about two of my most significant activities. Will that hurt? I don't know.
Are the activities you're talking about the same as the ones you listed as most meaningful on AMCAS??? I feel like you sorta have to
Still no secondary despite the fact that I already submitted primary.
Why? Can someone help?
I received my secondary as soon as my primary was verified. So, has your primary been verified yet?
I posted a link dump on pg 3 of the thread: Here
Sounds like you're a student at Rush, yeah? Maybe you can help me!
What do you know about the entrepreneur and innovation in health management group? Would this be something fitting for someone who has interests in healthcare models and working in healthcare policy?
Thanks
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K