2014-2015 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when the next batch is?

Members don't see this ad.

Late January/early Feb and the 3rd on is in March

Will check again tomorrow for you guys

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2nd batch should go out either tomorrow or Friday, good luck everyone

Reactions: 1 user
accepted and turned down the offer. For anyone feeling anxious: don't worry, even if your not accepted right away, Waitlists move like crazy

Anyone know if all notifications have been sent out for this batch of acceptances? I'm still a bit unclear on how the process goes and haven't heard anything from the school yet.

Hello everyone and Pasmal! I was hoping you guys could help answer a couple questions I had.

So I understand that when a batch opens up there are 24 new spots open and say if 5 of the 24 do not accept the offer, then the next 5 on the AWPA will receive an offer. So my question is when will they receive this offer? Is it immediately or the upcoming batch?

Also I figure most people who are offered a spot will accept immediately and hold until April 30th, the day where the medical students will make their final decision. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Anyone know if all notifications have been sent out for this batch of acceptances? I'm still a bit unclear on how the process goes and haven't heard anything from the school yet.

All of them are sent out at once during a batch, but if someone turns down their spot now and you're next on their list, you will be accepted in-between batches. This does happen regularly, but most movement happens May 15 (multiple accept deadline)

So my question is when will they receive this offer? Is it immediately or the upcoming batch?

You will receive notice immediately if you're next on the list. They take <24 hours after someone turns down a spot to accept the next person.

Also I figure most people who are offered a spot will accept immediately and hold until April 30th, the day where the medical students will make their final decision. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Most movement occurs around the multiple accept deadline, which is May 15. However, if someone is dead set on going to another school and they get in there, they are encouraged to give up their spot as soon as possible so another student can get it. Movement does happen in between batches and before/after May 15. Just hang in there.

All of them are sent out at once during a batch, but if someone turns down their spot now and you're next on their list, you will be accepted in-between batches. This does happen regularly, but most movement happens May 15 (multiple accept deadline)

You will receive notice immediately if you're next on the list. They take <24 hours after someone turns down a spot to accept the next person.

Most movement occurs around the multiple accept deadline, which is May 15. However, if someone is dead set on going to another school and they get in there, they are encouraged to give up their spot as soon as possible so another student can get it. Movement does happen in between batches and before/after May 15. Just hang in there.

I appreciate the response pasmal!

This cycle the multiple accept deadline is April 30, so hopefully movement happens sooner for those of you waiting to hear!

I was accepted and I sent in my deposit, but I think I'm going to withdraw. Hope my spot goes to one of you!

Today is an adcom meeting!!! If I live in the STL area, does anyone know (approximately) how long until I receive the decision letter? I'm crossing my fingers that it's AWPA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they just sending awpas? No acceptances?

Are they just sending awpas? No acceptances?
My understanding was that during today's adcom meeting my application would be presented, and a decision would be made (AWPA, defer, or reject). Since the 3rd batch of acceptances isn't released until March, I would be really surprised if they're deciding on any acceptances today... there are still 18 days left in February. My best guess is that today is just an applicant presentation day to decide which applicants are AWPA and to place them on the ranked list.

Got the decision letter in the mail today. Prospective Reapplicant. Not sure what I'm gonna do... not sure if I can go through this emotional roller coaster again.

Got the decision letter in the mail today. Prospective Reapplicant. Not sure what I'm gonna do... not sure if I can go through this emotional roller coaster again.

I would highly suggest calling SIU and learning about what you can do better for next year. Beth said they really like to work with their prospective reapplicants and that they have a good shot of getting in the following year if they improve their application where it was week. Lets say you have little clinical experience or volunteering, beef up that and reapply this coming year. If medicine is really what you want to do with your life, you will reapply. If it is something you only kind of want, you will find another career. To be a successful physician you have to have the desire to pour your heart an soul into the position and nothing will stop you from that.

I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Third batch will be sometime in March for those of you who are wondering. Admissions isn't even sure so that's most likely all the info I'll have until it happens. I'll let you guys know when they say it's been released.

@Pasmal do you know much about the MD/MPH program? I've been considering it and it seems there isn't much information about it. Are students that do the concurrent degrees happy with their choice to do so?

I don't know much about it. Message me and if you want I can connect you with a few students who have done it who are in my class.

3rd batch was sent out today. Hang in there if you're still waiting, lots of movement to come.

Does anybody know what the likelihood of being accepted is if you are placed on the alternate list? I just found out that I was placed on that list today, little worried!

AWPA letter came in the mail today! So excited! Really hoping that I get offered an acceptance, I really like this school.

Does anybody know what the likelihood of being accepted is if you are placed on the alternate list? I just found out that I was placed on that list today, little worried!
At my interview day I was told they haven't pulled people off of it in 8 years so very very slim. I got placed in it as well today.

through email? and what are the awpa acceptance statistics?

~80%, but obviously that figure varies depending on how many people accept/deny their spots who are on the list before you. Yes through email

There is a "cut-off" based on past years where they can safely say they're probably not going to exhaust the AWPA list down to the RA list. It's better than a flat-out rejection though, so you should call the office and ask how to improve your application if you haven't gotten other acceptances and want to strengthen your application and re-apply.

Official admissions decision guide per SIUSOM website: http://www.siumed.edu/studentaffairs/admissions/decisions.html

(Edit: AWPA/RA are NOT the same list. I apologize for the mistake, I did not mean to confuse anyone. I will continue to try to get the best information I can for you guys!)

Last edited:
Thank you for all the updates Pasmal! I do have one more question though: do you know roughly how many positions open up around the acceptance deadline? I understand there is still a good chance I can get in but I'm starting to sweat about it a little bit. It's a bit disheartening that I interviewed all the way back at the beginning of October and still don't have an answer yet, but I am trying to stay optimistic.

I waited 6 months and was accepted a week before I graduated, so please understand that I know the feeling when I say this: if you're AWPA, you are not allowed to worry yet. Seriously, do not think about how many positions are left, your only thought should be "lots of movement ahead." You can't really even estimate how many spots because it depends on so many things, so learn to live with the word "lots." It's a good word, far better than it's ugly cousin "some."

Back-up plans are of course good to have in place at any stage of the game, but we're not at the point yet where you need to start accepting those as the probable reality. Trust that I will tell you when that time arrives. And if you do get in this cycle (as you are statistically predicted to) after consuming yourself with worry instead of focusing on your other life passions, once you start school you will be really upset with yourself for spending any amount of your last few beautiful, magnificent, golden pre-medical-school months of your life doing that.

3rd batch was sent out today. Hang in there if you're still waiting, lots of movement to come.

I interviewed in late Feb. I have not gotten any emails or letters in mail from SIU about a decision. Should I be worried/ contact Beth or is there another batch the goes out?

Last edited:
I interviewed in late Feb. I have not gotten any emails or letters in mail from SIU about a decision. Should I be worried/ contact Beth or is there another batch the goes out?

Don't worry about it, they have one more AWPA meeting coming up (not sure when) and you should get a letter soon after that.

thanks for the quick response!

Pasmal, do you know if all applicants have been placed on the AWPA list, or if not when that will happen? Thanks.

Pasmal, do you know if all applicants have been placed on the AWPA list, or if not when that will happen? Thanks.
They have been pretty efficient in letting applicants know their status (SIU snail mails me). Looks like there is one more AWPA being sent out! fingers crossed for you!

I received AWPA last week through snail mail (interviewed in February). Not exactly sure what this means for my chances as I feel it is kind of late in the process. I know we won't know our ranking, but is there any way to get a feel for the movement on the list?

Everyone gets a letter informing them of their status. If you haven't yet then it should be pretty soon.

I know we won't know our ranking, but is there any way to get a feel for the movement on the list?

Congrats on AWPA! You still have a good shot, lots of movement occurs around the multiple-accept deadline. That's all we really have to go on at this point. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks! This is my second time around, after getting a prospective re-applicant last year. I'm still hopeful and I hope your year is going well!

Is there a facebook page for the accepted class to look for roommates and things of that nature? I couldn't seem to find one.

For my class the school put one together right before summer started and then the students made their own "students only" group to share things that we don't administrators to see :) - but the school will set one up for your class and you'll get the information in the next month or so to join and begin your search - plenty of time for most of my class to meet people and secure roommates

I know we won't know our ranking, but is there any way to get a feel for the movement on the list?

I double-checked for you and have a better answer: there has been very little AWPA movement thus far. Getting closer to the multi accept deadline so keep checking your email.

Hey Pasmal, is it typical that little AWPA movement is seen before the multi-accept deadline? I've heard from other schools that this year is particularly competitive, even more applicants than last year. I'm worried that not much movement will happen. May be it's a silly worry.

Hey Pasmal, is it typical that little AWPA movement is seen before the multi-accept deadline? I've heard from other schools that this year is particularly competitive, even more applicants than last year. I'm worried that not much movement will happen. May be it's a silly worry.

It gets more and more competitive every year. They said the same thing when I was applying. I think the admissions statistics are the most accurate gauge you're gonna get.

Last edited:
Accepted today and will be declining my spot to do RMED at U of I. Hoping my spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Official 2019 Facebook page has been created. Search "Class of 2019 SIU SOM" to find it.

Small update: the only info I/we are allowed to have at this point is that AWPA list is starting to move, and that the movement will accelerate as the multi-accept deadline approaches.

Reactions: 2 users
Small update: the only info I/we are allowed to have at this point is that AWPA list is starting to move, and that the movement will accelerate as the multi-accept deadline approaches.
Movement does move quite a bit, as at least half of my class got accepted right around the multi-accept deadline.

Movement does move quite a bit, as at least half of my class got accepted right around the multi-accept deadline.
Thanks for the input. I have been curious for a while just how many positions the list goes through, on average. I have been seeing posts about checking the admissions statistics from previous years, but im just not sure where to find that aside from the usual 72 spots out of 145. Half a class gives a small measure of comfort :).

I just received acceptance. Definitely matriculating. I've been AWPA since October/November last year. Movement is happening so hang tight. Best wishes to all my fellow colleagues on SDN. Thank you for walking this journey with me.

Reactions: 5 users
I just received acceptance. Definitely matriculating. I've been AWPA since October/November last year. Movement is happening so hang tight. Best wishes to all my fellow colleagues on SDN. Thank you for walking this journey with me.
Do they notify you via email or phone? Just to know what to expect...Also CONGRATS!

Do they notify you via email or phone? Just to know what to expect...Also CONGRATS!

It will be via email. And they will also send the actual hard copy to your house by mail. Good luck to you!

Previous posts indicate that you receive an email and a letter in the mail shortly thereafter.

Previous posts indicate that you receive an email and a letter in the mail shortly thereafter.
Do they always send an email for acceptances?
I didn't receive an email for the AWPA notification, only snail mail.