2014-2015 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they always send an email for acceptances?
I didn't receive an email for the AWPA notification, only snail mail.
Correct. AWPA is via snail mail but acceptances are email first + letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just received acceptance. Definitely matriculating. I've been AWPA since October/November last year. Movement is happening so hang tight. Best wishes to all my fellow colleagues on SDN. Thank you for walking this journey with me.
Congratulations! And yes, you will receive an E-mail congratulating you on your acceptance and notifying you that you will receive an official copy of your acceptance letter in the mail within about a week from the e-mail

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
To anyone who has recently been accepted: Would you mind sharing your MCAT score? I'm still on the AWPA list with a 29, and I'm wondering if I still have a chance. I'm assuming - even though it is of course not the only important thing in an application - that on average people with higher MCAT scores are accepted before those with lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone who has recently been accepted: Would you mind sharing your MCAT score? I'm still on the AWPA list with a 29, and I'm wondering if I still have a chance. I'm assuming - even though it is of course not the only important thing in an application - that on average people with higher MCAT scores are accepted before those with lower.

I have a mid 30s mcat and high gpa and am still awpa. Stats aren't everything so stay hopeful!

You still have a chance. Keep checking that email

Reactions: 3 users
At what point does the movement die down? Was expecting it all to have been today (still could have been and I just didn't get an acceptance lol). Getting pretty stressed over here...

Reactions: 1 users
Movement happens throughout May too. Try not to worry too much! Movement's still going to happen. Best of luck to you all. :)

At what point does the movement die down? Was expecting it all to have been today (still could have been and I just didn't get an acceptance lol). Getting pretty stressed over here...

There will be movement throughout the month of May - they are only humans working at the office, so it takes some processing time for them to input those that are saying NO, remove them from the list, and then send the next acceptance - most people have a week or so to respond to the offer as well, so you can add that time in there. Not a lot of the process is automated, so it takes the office a little extra time. Some people also send in NO by snail mail, which takes it longer than calling, etc.

Movement will happen! Waiting is definitely the hardest part of this process, but the best things come to those who wait!

I received my acceptance letter today and am happy to say I'll be attending in the fall! Good things come to those who wait. Movement is definitely happening, stay strong if you're still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got my acceptance email today around 11:30! I've been AWPA since 12/20. If you would like to know my stats I'll be happy to share them with you in a PM. I am seriously so excited right now! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to both of you! This summer has just gotten much more exciting for you! :p

Does anyone have any insight to how many spots are left?

Pasmal may be able to give you a better answer, but the Facebook group appears to be about halfway filled, although some people do change their minds after they are in the group, but that's the metric I went by last year and it seemed to be appropriate. Our class is 75 and our Facebook group is 86 (adding in administrators and previous year students, etc.)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the name of the facebook group? I've searched for it but it won't seem to come up. Also I called and was told that movement is slowing down :(

What's the name of the facebook group? I've searched for it but it won't seem to come up. Also I called and was told that movement is slowing down :(

Try searching for Class of 2019 SIU SOM. There's only 43 members at the moment, 5 of which are admin/older students.

I just received my acceptance yesterday! So things are still happening. Very excited to see you guys in the fall!

I submitted my withdrawal today. Good luck everyone!

I've been getting some messages about updates. At this point movement has slowed down quite a bit, but not necessarily over. It's possible a few more spots will be offered, but if any are offered it won't be very many. Should have another update towards the end of May. Hope this helps some of you guys who are still waiting.

Apparently there hasn't been any movement at all in at least the last week. At this point having a back-up plan in motion is a good idea. If there is any movement left it will likely be only a spot or two.

okay thank you!

@ncklkrt @Pasmal random question, if movement has died down completely and all spots are offered why is the Facebook group taking so long to fill up? Just student and admission office lag time?

okay thank you!

@ncklkrt @Pasmal random question, if movement has died down completely and all spots are offered why is the Facebook group taking so long to fill up? Just student and admission office lag time?
Pretty much that. And some people don't join the group until later in the summer when it gets closer to starting school - some may not even know about the group and will find out during orientation which is when my class' group got pretty much full. There's also people that hardly use Facebook and some that don't use it at all as well

Can someone post the link to the class of 2019 Facebook page. Not coming up in my browser for some reason.

Hi guys! I was wondering if you could tell me my chances of admission to SIU school of medicine so far:
Current GPA: 3.5
Haven't taken the MCAT, plan on doing so in a year.
Overcame a chronic illness diagnosis first year of college.
Born and raised in a farming family of central illinois.

I currently work as a medical scribe at St.John's hospital ER in Springfield
I have studied marine biology abroad
Samaritan Volunteer at St.John's Children's Unit
Honor Society member
Biology Club
Former lifeguard
Former student worker for my University's Biology department
Plan on doing undergraduate research, was offered an opportunity with SIU in Springfield but due to the state budget they had to withdraw that offer due to insufficient funds.

Will SIU school of medicine look at applications with a cumulative GPA of 3.4-3.5?
Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! I was wondering if you could tell me my chances of admission to SIU school of medicine so far:
Current GPA: 3.5
Haven't taken the MCAT, plan on doing so in a year.
Overcame a chronic illness diagnosis first year of college.
Born and raised in a farming family of central illinois.

I currently work as a medical scribe at St.John's hospital ER in Springfield
I have studied marine biology abroad
Samaritan Volunteer at St.John's Children's Unit
Honor Society member
Biology Club
Former lifeguard
Former student worker for my University's Biology department
Plan on doing undergraduate research, was offered an opportunity with SIU in Springfield but due to the state budget they had to withdraw that offer due to insufficient funds.

Will SIU school of medicine look at applications with a cumulative GPA of 3.4-3.5?
Thanks in advance!

Should post this in pre-allo WAMC but hard to tell any chance of admission w/o MCAT. A 3.4-3.5 range GPA will definitely not keep you out though. Feel free to PM me or @ncklkrt if you'd like to talk more abt your app.

How long is the turn around after you submit a secondary to get an interview? And also, how did you guys tackle the second question on the prompt? I dont have one experience that comfortably talks about all three aspects they're looking for (team work + pbl experience + lifelong learning)..so I taked about two separate experiences