-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So if I like every withdrawal post does that mean I've thrown my lot in for that spot? It doesn't, but my fallacious mind is going to get some sense of comfort from it anyways.
Apparently the liking method is effective. I just got a call from Filo, and I'm going to be an Aggie Doctor!
Quick, everyone on the wait list like this message. I feel the magic!
Quick, everyone on the wait list like this message. I feel the magic!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apparently the liking method is effective. I just got a call from Filo, and I'm going to be an Aggie Doctor!
Quick, everyone on the wait list like this message. I feel the magic!
Oh my gosh! Congratulations! Did you decide on your campus designation?
I have not. It's such a hard choice, and I'll need to look through my materials again to really come to a conclusion. Austin is of course appealing, but considering I'm really interested in academics and am considering surgery, I want to choose the campus that will give me the best options.
Definitely! Well, congrats again, and good luck. 🙂
Houston (research) or Temple (surgery) sound right up your alley 🙂I have not. It's such a hard choice, and I'll need to look through my materials again to really come to a conclusion. Austin is of course appealing, but considering I'm really interested in academics and am considering surgery, I want to choose the campus that will give me the best options.
Unfortunately I was only given the option of Temple, Austin, and BCS. I would have picked Houston in a heart beat.
Temple is a huge academic medical center with plenty of research opps. You should also be able to get on the waitlist for Houston.Unfortunately I was only given the option of Temple, Austin, and BCS. I would have picked Houston in a heart beat.
A-Whoop! Good indication of where I'm preffing!
Just got in off the waitlist!
Only acceptance. So happy. Anyone know how I can join the fb group? Is it invite only or do you just request to join?
You just request to join homie. Congrats!
Just got in off the waitlist!
Only acceptance. So happy. Anyone know how I can join the fb group? Is it invite only or do you just request to join?
Congrats, ryanr!
Same here, I too got off waitlist yesterday! Only acceptance, very excited!!!
D
deleted632431
@ryanr Congratulations! Was this your first time applying?
Just got in off the waitlist!
Only acceptance. So happy. Anyone know how I can join the fb group? Is it invite only or do you just request to join?
Congrats, ryanr!
Same here, I too got off waitlist yesterday! Only acceptance, very excited!!!
Congrats to both of you! you both have great stats and deserve it! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, Congrats to you too...You got accepted in Texas A & M too?Congrats to both of you! you both have great stats and deserve it! 🙂
@ryanr Congratulations! Was this your first time applying?
Yeah it was! Got 4 interviews, was on 4 waitlists, and now accepted! Whoop!
@TexasPro Congrats to you too! And I haven't heard anything about scholarships but if they're available that info will be in the packet they're mailing to us I would assume. I think I remember from the interview that TAMHSC reserves all of its scholarship money for out-of-state students but I could be wrong
Since the class of 2020 school threads were already posted, I wanted to say congrats to everyone for going through the application cycle.
I hope some of the incoming M1's can visit SDN regularly to help guide the applicants for next year.
Just giving pointers, answering questions, and providing your experience while applying and as a medical student will help tremendously.
I hope some of the incoming M1's can visit SDN regularly to help guide the applicants for next year.
Just giving pointers, answering questions, and providing your experience while applying and as a medical student will help tremendously.
Whoop, whoop! Just accepted off the waitlist! I was planning on attending UTHSCSA, but now I have no clue which to choose! Thoughts?
Congrats!Whoop, whoop! Just accepted off the waitlist! I was planning on attending UTHSCSA, but now I have no clue which to choose! Thoughts?
A good question to ask yourself: where do you want to do your clerkships?
They gave me a choice of Temple or Round Rock. There's also a waiting list for CS.Congrats!
A good question to ask yourself: where do you want to do your clerkships?
Whoop, whoop! Just accepted off the waitlist! I was planning on attending UTHSCSA, but now I have no clue which to choose! Thoughts?
They gave me a choice of Temple or Round Rock. There's also a waiting list for CS.
Congrats! I know a few people who were also on the Dallas and Houston waitlists and already got off and will rotate in those cities. What made you rank A&M higher than UTHSCSA on your initial TMDSAS rankings? Maybe that can help you decide for (or against) A&M now. Since a lot of people advise on the importance of a school's "feel" when deciding which to attend, also consider joining A&M's fb class page to help you get an understanding of your potential classmates/upperclassmen, they've been extremely helpful so far.
Yeah, I was originally assigned to Temple but got off the waitlist for Houston a few weeks later.Congrats! I know a few people who were also on the Dallas and Houston waitlists and already got off and will rotate in those cities. What made you rank A&M higher than UTHSCSA on your initial TMDSAS rankings? Maybe that can help you decide for (or against) A&M now. Since a lot of people advise on the importance of a school's "feel" when deciding which to attend, also consider joining A&M's fb class page to help you get an understanding of your potential classmates/upperclassmen, they've been extremely helpful so far.
Thanks for your suggestion! I really liked the focus from the professors on really supporting their students' learning, was really impressed by the rotation sites (did I read correctly that even if we were assigned to a different clinical campus, we would still be allowed to do rotations at the others? How does that work?), and it has the added benefit of being close to my fiance, who will be unable to leave Austin for the forseeable future. However, I am finding UTHSCSA hard to give up because I'm really interested in becoming an Infectious Disease specialist someday, am very interested in Global Health, and am not sure that there are many opportunities for exposure to those things at A&M.Congrats! I know a few people who were also on the Dallas and Houston waitlists and already got off and will rotate in those cities. What made you rank A&M higher than UTHSCSA on your initial TMDSAS rankings? Maybe that can help you decide for (or against) A&M now. Since a lot of people advise on the importance of a school's "feel" when deciding which to attend, also consider joining A&M's fb class page to help you get an understanding of your potential classmates/upperclassmen, they've been extremely helpful so far.
I remember at my interview they mentioned the global health options at A&M, but I don't remember too much about them. I think that might have been one of their "minors"?Thanks for your suggestion! I really liked the focus from the professors on really supporting their students' learning, was really impressed by the rotation sites (did I read correctly that even if we were assigned to a different clinical campus, we would still be allowed to do rotations at the others? How does that work?), and it has the added benefit of being close to my fiance, who will be unable to leave Austin for the forseeable future. However, I am finding UTHSCSA hard to give up because I'm really interested in becoming an Infectious Disease specialist someday, am very interested in Global Health, and am not sure that there are many opportunities for exposure to those things at A&M.
If you want more information I would suggest emailing the school (Rachel holt maybe?), and I'm sure they could hook you up with the information. I know A&M does a global mission trip each year during spring break (I believe last years was to Peru). A&M also offers medical Spanish over the summer.
I remember at my interview they mentioned the global health options at A&M, but I don't remember too much about them. I think that might have been one of their "minors"?
If you want more information I would suggest emailing the school (Rachel holt maybe?), and I'm sure they could hook you up with the information. I know A&M does a global mission trip each year during spring break (I believe last years was to Peru). A&M also offers medical Spanish over the summer.
Yep, there are global medicine and rural & community health concentration areas (I asked them specifically about those). From 2015-2016 thread, concentration areas include: public health, global health, rural and community health, leadership and health advocacy, business, law, research, healthcare policy, biotechnology, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your suggestion! I really liked the focus from the professors on really supporting their students' learning, was really impressed by the rotation sites (did I read correctly that even if we were assigned to a different clinical campus, we would still be allowed to do rotations at the others? How does that work?), and it has the added benefit of being close to my fiance, who will be unable to leave Austin for the forseeable future. However, I am finding UTHSCSA hard to give up because I'm really interested in becoming an Infectious Disease specialist someday, am very interested in Global Health, and am not sure that there are many opportunities for exposure to those things at A&M.
Not sure if you saw this in the fb group, so this is for you and anybody else who may be curious about this in the future, posted by a student:
"All five campuses are incredible in their own unique way and all will give you a wonderful educational experience. However, you will only get out what you put in. Also keep in mind you get a number of travel credits you can use to spend time at any of the five campuses during your last two years. There are stories of one or two M4s using these travel credits to spend their entire fourth year at a campus different from the one they were initially assigned. So there is a great deal of flexibility within the campus designation system. For travel credits, let's say you are assigned to B/CS for all four years but have a strong interest in urban medicine. The travel credits allow you to spend a portion of your fourth year at an urban hospital in Dallas or Houston. Because it is impossible for any one campus to offer a satisfying experience across all disciplines/interests of medicine, the travel credits are given to medical students to hedge against any weakness a campus may have for a particular individual."
That being said, over half of our class will undergo the majority of their rotations at one of the top 10 hospitals in the state, so I don't think you can really go wrong no matter which city you rotate at - it's all about the student and what we put into our education experience, as I'm sure you know!
Was in for the weekend, met some members of the class! Some really great people. That being said, there are some university rivalries that will need to be laid to rest, and they will be settled in Smash.
Got accepted off the waitlist today. Excited yet now I have to rethink my plans for next year.
Anyone care to link me to the Facebook group and other information I might need to know?
Thanks!
Anyone care to link me to the Facebook group and other information I might need to know?
Thanks!
Got accepted off the waitlist today. Excited yet now I have to rethink my plans for next year.
Anyone care to link me to the Facebook group and other information I might need to know?
Thanks!
Congratulations! If you haven't already joined:
fb link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/312240415641815/
or just search "TAMHSC COM: Class of 2019"
Its been eerily quiet.... anybody else nervous?
What's there be nervous about? Just excited to get started!Its been eerily quiet.... anybody else nervous?
Haha I meant those who haven't got in from the waitlist like myself
Oh, I'm sorry! I hadn't realized that. Best of luck to you!Haha I meant those who haven't got in from the waitlist like myself
Its been eerily quiet.... anybody else nervous?
there's actually been consistent movement. people are being added every week on the fb page.
Ah the rest of the population who aren't on SDN
Hi guys! I just got accepted off the waitlist, so there is still hope!!! Stick with it and good luck to all of you!
Welcome to our class! Our Facebook page is super helpful to get you started, so make sure you join.
Welcome to our class! Our Facebook page is super helpful to get you started, so make sure you join.
where is the facebook page ? for class of 2020?
What's there be nervous about? Just excited to get started!
I was worried too...just called them and said other than the 2 online forms on the portal, we don't have to worry about anything until April
Similar threads
- Replies
- 543
- Views
- 156K