2025-2026 Texas A&M

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me neither. It's probably closer to 50% now since they've increased the number of applicants interviewed (based on MSARS). But still pretty good. Better than Baylor's 27% II->A rate.
I’m sure Baylor’s is at least a bit higher than that. I wish all schools would post the number of offers given rather than just the number of matriculants.
 
I’m sure Baylor’s is at least a bit higher than that. I wish all schools would post the number of offers given rather than just the number of matriculants.
Unfortunately, it's not. I'm quoting from Baylor's own information.

1762903987269.png
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's not. I'm quoting from Baylor's own information.

View attachment 411538
Interesting, Baylor has a pretty high yield rate which is expected. That’s probably why schools like A&M have more offers since they lose people to other schools in the match. I’m sure you still have a good shot at an A, getting a BCM interview is no joke.
 
Interesting, Baylor has a pretty high yield rate which is expected. That’s probably why schools like A&M have more offers since they lose people to other schools in the match. I’m sure you still have a good shot at an A, getting a BCM interview is no joke.
Yield rate is controlled.

Essentially you admit a small number of people early, then admit only those you want matched via match and then admit more only to openings when people drop out to go external.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does A&M allow update letters if you have not interviewed? Can't find an answer anywhere on their website/FAQ.
 
Hi all!

I’m still hopefully waiting to hear back from A&M for an II, but so far I haven’t received anything. I put together the attached spreadsheets that break down MCAT and GPA data from TMDSAS applicants and the corresponding interview-invitation rates for each school. Feel free to take a look.

I’ve been fortunate to receive IIs from Baylor, UTMB, and TTUHSC El Paso, but I’m confused about why I’m hearing from these schools and not others like A&M. I’ve seen applicants with a very wide range of LM scores receive IIs there, so I’m trying to understand how schools decide whom to invite. For reference, my LM is 75.

If anyone has insight into how A&M or other TMDSAS schools approach II selection, I’d really appreciate it. Tagging @wysdoc and @TMDSASSY in case you have any thoughts!
 

Attachments

Hi all!

I’m still hopefully waiting to hear back from A&M for an II, but so far I haven’t received anything. I put together the attached spreadsheets that break down MCAT and GPA data from TMDSAS applicants and the corresponding interview-invitation rates for each school. Feel free to take a look.

I’ve been fortunate to receive IIs from Baylor, UTMB, and TTUHSC El Paso, but I’m confused about why I’m hearing from these schools and not others like A&M. I’ve seen applicants with a very wide range of LM scores receive IIs there, so I’m trying to understand how schools decide whom to invite. For reference, my LM is 74.

If anyone has insight into how A&M or other TMDSAS schools approach II selection, I’d really appreciate it. Tagging @wysdoc and @TMDSASSY in case you have any thoughts!
I saw your other post, please don’t replay it on all the individual threads
 
Hi all!

I’m still hopefully waiting to hear back from A&M for an II, but so far I haven’t received anything. I put together the attached spreadsheets that break down MCAT and GPA data from TMDSAS applicants and the corresponding interview-invitation rates for each school. Feel free to take a look.

I’ve been fortunate to receive IIs from Baylor, UTMB, and TTUHSC El Paso, but I’m confused about why I’m hearing from these schools and not others like A&M. I’ve seen applicants with a very wide range of LM scores receive IIs there, so I’m trying to understand how schools decide whom to invite. For reference, my LM is 75.

If anyone has insight into how A&M or other TMDSAS schools approach II selection, I’d really appreciate it. Tagging @wysdoc and @TMDSASSY in case you have any thoughts!
1. It's Not all About MCAT/GPA
2. If you look through every TX school thread this year, you can find a dozen different applicants with fairly similar LM's receiving a different distribution of interview invites when assumedly they applied to almost all of the same programs
 
1. It's Not all About MCAT/GPA
2. If you look through every TX school thread this year, you can find a dozen different applicants with fairly similar LM's receiving a different distribution of interview invites when assumedly they applied to almost all of the same programs
MCAT and GPA are the only metrics which are objective and verifiable. The rest of the so called metrics are marginal at best and subjective and hence all reports are published with statistics about MCAT and GPA of all the applicants and matriculants and not any other metric.
 
MCAT and GPA are the only metrics which are objective and verifiable. The rest of the so called metrics are marginal at best and subjective and hence all reports are published with statistics about MCAT and GPA of all the applicants and matriculants and not any other metric.
I have a similar LM (79). I'm grateful for the interviews I do have, but I haven't received an II from every school to which I applied, and I certainly am not assuming that I will. I don't think it's possible for one applicant to be a great mission fit for every one of the TMDSAS schools. MCAT and GPA are just two pieces of the picture--they really can't tell the whole story of your unique interests, strengths, sense of mission, and experiences.

I hope you end up somewhere that's a great fit for you!
 
I have a similar LM (79). I'm grateful for the interviews I do have, but I haven't received an II from every school to which I applied, and I certainly am not assuming that I will. I don't think it's possible for one applicant to be a great mission fit for every one of the TMDSAS schools. MCAT and GPA are just two pieces of the picture--they really can't tell the whole story of your unique interests, strengths, sense of mission, and experiences.

I hope you end up somewhere that's a great fit for you!
No one expects an interview from all schools they apply to. That is not point. My point is that the only objective and verifiable metrics are GPA and MCAT and rest of the metrics are subjective. I wish some schools would be bit more open about their evaluation metrics.

I appreciate that UTRGV basically expects you to visit campus if you are serious about them or Texas Tech Lubbock and UT Tyler ask about applicants ties to area.

As for "mission fit" - every applicant caters the essays to the published mission of the schools, so what other strengths are revealed in the application besides GPA and MCAT that could help in determining future success in medical schools. As for Volunteering, community, shadowing and clinical hours I would safely assume that most applicants would try and maximize those hours around their school and work schedule.

I think Med schools use this so called "mission fit" excuse to not give many applicants who are at or above median MCAT and GPA scores an interview.
 
No one expects an interview from all schools they apply to. That is not point. My point is that the only objective and verifiable metrics are GPA and MCAT and rest of the metrics are subjective. I wish some schools would be bit more open about their evaluation metrics.

I appreciate that UTRGV basically expects you to visit campus if you are serious about them or Texas Tech Lubbock and UT Tyler ask about applicants ties to area.

As for "mission fit" - every applicant caters the essays to the published mission of the schools, so what other strengths are revealed in the application besides GPA and MCAT that could help in determining future success in medical schools. As for Volunteering, community, shadowing and clinical hours I would safely assume that most applicants would try and maximize those hours around their school and work schedule.

I think Med schools use this so called "mission fit" excuse to not give many applicants who are at or above median MCAT and GPA scores an interview.
What you point out about the mission fit issue is exactly the reason schools can't really be "more open about their evaluation metrics:" because applicants would begin to tailor/manufacture their life experiences even more than they already do. As you said, some schools have a reputation for having extremely close ties to their respective regions, but other metrics might not be so black-and-white.

We have already established that applicants with lower MCAT/GPA still do get interviews, sometimes more than applicants with higher LM scores. There's a strong correlation, but not nearly enough to be a causation. Evidently, those other "marginal" metrics have more than a marginal impact on who gets interviews/acceptances.

Many Texas schools have similar-ish missions, and most schools will at least mention primary care, research, underserved communities, and integrated curriculum. That being said, they will all weigh these factors differently and they all have different strategies for how they want to develop their student body, resources, and facilities. And as you said, most applicants know that volunteering, shadowing, clinical hours, etc. are important, but that can take form in many different kinds of activities. How well an applicant resonates or reflects on their experiences + how well they are able to communicate that impact will shape a school's impression of that applicant's personal "mission." And of course, medical schools aim for diversity (not just the racial kind) so they'll look for people from different majors, hobbies, etc. too.
 
What you point out about the mission fit issue is exactly the reason schools can't really be "more open about their evaluation metrics:" because applicants would begin to tailor/manufacture their life experiences even more than they already do. As you said, some schools have a reputation for having extremely close ties to their respective regions, but other metrics might not be so black-and-white.

We have already established that applicants with lower MCAT/GPA still do get interviews, sometimes more than applicants with higher LM scores. There's a strong correlation, but not nearly enough to be a causation. Evidently, those other "marginal" metrics have more than a marginal impact on who gets interviews/acceptances.

Many Texas schools have similar-ish missions, and most schools will at least mention primary care, research, underserved communities, and integrated curriculum. That being said, they will all weigh these factors differently and they all have different strategies for how they want to develop their student body, resources, and facilities. And as you said, most applicants know that volunteering, shadowing, clinical hours, etc. are important, but that can take form in many different kinds of activities. How well an applicant resonates or reflects on their experiences + how well they are able to communicate that impact will shape a school's impression of that applicant's personal "mission." And of course, medical schools aim for diversity (not just the racial kind) so they'll look for people from different majors, hobbies, etc. too.
The more interesting thing to examine would be what characteristics out of region people who get II have in common for TTHUSC, UTRGV, UT Tyler?(do they even take anyone outside their region). But yeah people will quibble about it here all day, but unless TMDSAS gets hacked or releases their data it's very hard to prove a pattern.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 IS A for traditional MD!!!
(first time posting, so hello and good luck with this cycle! 🙂)
Since I know y'all are going to ask lol:
- LM 81
- submitted primary 7/2
- secondary invite 8/1
- submitted secondary 9/5
- interview invite 9/16
- interviewed 10/8
- for further context, I'm not non-trad but I will have taken 4 gap years after undergrad by the time I matriculate, so I have pretty extensive patient care, research, & service hours
 
Last edited:
+1 IS A for traditional MD!!!
(first time posting, so hello and good luck with this cycle! 🙂)
Since I know y'all are going to ask lol:
- LM 81
- submitted primary 7/2
- secondary invite 8/1
- submitted secondary 9/5
- interview invite 9/16
- interviewed 10/8
- for further context, I'm not non-trad but I will have taken 4 gap years after undergrad by the time I matriculate, so I have pretty extensive patient care, research, & service hours
Hi congrats on the A!!! Did you receive it today?
 
I have a question for anyone who applied to EnMed last year, did any of yall hear back super late but get accepted not waitlisted? Low key though, if someone interviewed in Sept for EnMed and still hasn't heard back, is that a soft R?
 
Congratulations! Will this hold you back from Tyson? Is that still free tuition?
Kaiser is still offering free tuition for the upcoming class. I'm keeping my options open since I also like my A&M experience, but I'm PRETTY set on Kaiser (LOVE the school so much), especially since they also gave me a good additional financial package.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if Texas A&M offers tours/open houses to interviewees?
It looks like there are tours only for pre-matched people at this point. I'm not sure if they'll have more dates for those that aren't prematched as January 30th approaches or if they do tours after match day. Anyone know how tours work historically?
 
I pre-matched and after accepting the offer, I see a page to rank campus locations. Is there a preference for filling it out sooner or later?