2014-2015 Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging.
“America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public
Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe
your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the
U.S. Public Health Service. (200 words maximum)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of
the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be high-performing
officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service.
Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family
background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (200 words maximum)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from
potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes
to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to
care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our
country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique
population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s MedicalSchool.” (200
words maximum)
Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ditto, IS reapplicant here. Currently, I'm sitting on the waiting list for Navy, hoping to get a call by July (one can dream). In the meantime, just sent in my AMCAS application today. Apply early everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How soon after you submitted AMCAS did you receive a secondary? I've heard that they send them out about a week after submission, regardless of verified status?

Yes that's true, last year, I got the secondary on June 30 while my primary was still being verified (submitted on the first day June 10). I've been told to expect it this year around the same time, first week of July if you already submitted primary. And it's free! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Anytime! Undergrad GPA low 3.0s, Master's GPA: 3.92, solid volunteering/shadowing experience at Walter Reed for 3 years (back when it was Army Medical, and then merged with Navy Medical), 2 summers of research and published, MCAT: 30. My application wasn't complete until like September though because my final grades from my Master's program were not available until Aug and my committee letter status was contingent on that as well. Had a wonderful interview experience in Feb and by that time (actually by Nov it looks like from last year's thread) the class was already technically full.:xf::luck:!

I'm applying IS as well-- extremely excited about it! Good luck to everyone :).

OOS no prior service, hoping the premed gods will give me some love.

Application is in. Looking forward to starting on the secondaries.

Good luck, everyone!

Same here!! ahh they changed up the questions from last year, I quite like this approach.

I wish the fields for course number and date on the addendum were larger...

Nevermind, did some fiddling around with the editor

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!

I have an IA to disclose, and the student disclosure form is very glitchy - I can't seem to type more than one line for the explanation.

I think I am sending this via paper/mail - nothing wrong with that, right?

For USUHS, how many people do they interview every year, roughly speaking?

I have a quick question.

I understand that the secondary application must be submitted within 3 weeks, but do all the LORs also have to be in by then?

I have a quick question.

I understand that the secondary application must be submitted within 3 weeks, but do all the LORs also have to be in by then?

I don't think so. The secondary material is simply the pdf files they sent us. The "recommend" pdf file is the only one to do with your LORs and that's just listing the recommenders you are expecting letters from. That's my read on it.

Secondary submitted! Good luck and hope to see y'all in September. It's like the MCAT score waiting game all over again....

おめでとう!I'm working on mine today, still need to order my SAT scores, but then should be able to get it in by early next week! Good luck, 外人さん!

For anyone needing to look up their archived SAT scores, you can call and ask for your test registration number from when you took them (mine was from 2004). You'll need to verify who you are first against their records, but once you have the registration number and the dates you took the test you can make a college board account, and register for the SAT (but not really). When filling out the registration, click yes to whether you have registered for a previous test, enter your registration number and test date, fill out the rest and the next page should have all your test scores and dates on it.

I wasn't sure if this was common knowledge, but I didn't know there was another way to retrieve old scores without paying the $31 fee.

I am submitting my secondary early next week. Best of luck to everyone!

おめでとう!I'm working on mine today, still need to order my SAT scores, but then should be able to get it in by early next week! Good luck, 外人さん!

どもありがとうございます!がんばつて!

Last edited:
are we supposed to send them a copy of our SAT scores?

Anyone else not having a committee letter?

Technically, my school does offer the service, but I've chosen not to use it. I am going to include an explanation along with my secondary app; I hope his isn't a big deal.

I'm also doing three individual letters because I've been out of undergrad since 09. I don't think it's a big deal. I think as far as medical schools go, this one probably gets the highest percentage of non-traditional applicants with a higher average age.

I forgot we had to send a letter explaining why we don't have a committee letter. How are you sending it? Are you putting it in the final pdf file after the page containing your recommenders' names and titles? Maybe one of us can call and find out for the rest of us?

I'm also doing three individual letters because I've been out of undergrad since 09. I don't think it's a big deal. I think as far as medical schools go, this one probably gets the highest percentage of non-traditional applicants with a higher average age.

I forgot we had to send a letter explaining why we don't have a committee letter. How are you sending it? Are you putting it in the final pdf file after the page containing your recommenders' names and titles? Maybe one of us can call and find out for the rest of us?

I am sending in the whole thing via paper/mail. So I am simply attaching a sheet along with everything else.

I have a quick question regarding LORs.

The USUHS supplemental instruction says that we should include our AAMC ID on the letters. However, I didn't give my letter writers my AAMC ID; I simply had them submit the letters to Interfolio, and I transferred these letters from Interfolio to AMCAS Letter Service via AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID. Now, all my letters are successfully uploaded to AMCAS Letter Service. Am I alright if I just have AMCAS Letter Service send in all my letters?

To my understanding, if we are using other methods to send in our letters (via mail, for example), we should include our AAMC ID, but if we use AMCAS Letter Service, it should be fine.

Best of luck to all applying this year!

I sent in via email last week but I am certain paper mail is fine, in fact it says that a grace period is added in for mailed items so you don't need to spend extra to rush it (I might anyways though personally).

Any other current active duty folks applying right now?

Applying OOS if I get a 29+ on my MCAT from 6/21. Everyone who got a II: Could you disclose your CGPA, SGPA, and MCAT please? I would be most appreciative.
Thanks!

So... where do they distinguish for the scores and GPA? I mean Im still predicting a 28-30

My guess is that if when looked at your primary is below their threshold they won't read your secondary, but since they don't charge for the secondary it doesn't hurt people to do it anyways.

But yes they send out secondaries without a verified primary which pretty much means they send to everyone. Interviews however are a different story. If you get an interview you have a roughly 50% chance of an offer assuming you don't tank it or didn't lie on something prior to that.

These are based on 2 years ago numbers since last year isn't completed.

Applying OOS if I get a 29+ on my MCAT from 6/21. Everyone who got a II: Could you disclose your CGPA, SGPA, and MCAT please? I would be most appreciative.
Thanks!

I don't think USUHS cares about IS vs OOS

My stats are: 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT

lol Sean I wish I could get a 33. USUHS is my top choice.

31 MCAT
Sgpa 3.2 undergrad gpa 3.4 from a top 10 undergrad.

3.6 grad GPA in clinical exercise physiology

lol Sean I wish I could get a 33. USUHS is my top choice.

It is possible that you got >33 on your latest MCAT attempt. You never know until you get your score.

Reactions: 2 users
Greetings,

No prior service here, but I have a question about the secondary app. On the Basic Application Addendum, Section 3, "Application Status. Have you ever applied to the..." I have never applied to USUHS, it has a check-box for 2015/2015 Interview. Since I am applying for the 2015 cycle, should the box for 2015 be checked?

Thank you for any and all incite.

-Sachmo

Has anybody submitted their secondary by email yet? If so, HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PICTURE ON THERE!? These locked documents are annoying.

It wouldn't work on my Windows 8 OS, but I managed to get it to work on a computer at the local library. I was going to print a small copy of the picture and tape it on there then scan it back in. When I clicked the box on the other computer (I believe it was Windows 7), however, it popped up with a dialogue box for inserting a picture and it was very easy from there to insert.

Has anybody submitted their secondary by email yet? If so, HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PICTURE ON THERE!? These locked documents are annoying.

I imported the picture, printed each document, then rescanned it all together.

To get better resolution on the picture though you could print it all, tape the picture on, then rescan.

It wouldn't work on my Windows 8 OS, but I managed to get it to work on a computer at the local library. I was going to print a small copy of the picture and tape it on there then scan it back in. When I clicked the box on the other computer (I believe it was Windows 7), however, it popped up with a dialogue box for inserting a picture and it was very easy from there to insert.
It let me insert it on windows 7 and 8 but not save the file after doing that. So I still had to print and rescan.

Greetings,

No prior service here, but I have a question about the secondary app. On the Basic Application Addendum, Section 3, "Application Status. Have you ever applied to the..." I have never applied to USUHS, it has a check-box for 2015/2015 Interview. Since I am applying for the 2015 cycle, should the box for 2015 be checked?

Thank you for any and all incite.

-Sachmo

Good question. But it's probably a type and I would leave both boxes blank.

Are all of you guys using AMCAS Letter Service to submit letters? I realize that USUHS accepts AMCAS, Interfolio, Virtual Evaluations, and even paper mail!