2014-2015 Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Taken from another thread.
Path2ArmyDoc said:
Hello all. I read through the "Life at USUHS" thread, but it hasn't been active since 2010, so I thought I'd post some new questions here, especially seeing as they've been going through some changes.
What are the facilities (non-academic) like. I've been having a hell of a time searching for photos online. Do they have a gym, cafeteria, pool, fields (I saw something about an ultimate frisbee team). If they don't have these, where do y'all go to get your workout fix.
What do most people's days (and weekends) look like when they're not studying? Is there a big bar scene? Do most people have families that they go home to, or does it have a undergrad kind of vibe?
I saw that you're required to be in uniform when on base, and during 0700-1600. Is this accurate. What exactly does this mean logistically. If I go into Bethesda for lunch, do I need to change? If it's a weekend and I want to go to the library, do I have to get into a uniform?
I understand there're about ≤200 students per class. Do you get to know most of these folks? Do most people study alone or with classmates?
I'm curious about housing, too. I understand the surrounding areas of USU can be a bit pricey. Do most people still live there, or do they venture a bit further? Without dependents the housing allowance is ~22000. If I don't use all of this, do I keep the excess? How does housing live during MS-III and -IV? Since you're gone for a good portion of the year, do most people move out? How does that work?
Thanks!
1. The non-academic facilities are adequate. They certainly aren’t as nice as a the facilities found at large state universities. USUHS has a small gym with a few weight machines in its basement that many students and faculty use. The base gym is a short walk from USUHS itself and has free weights, a pool, training staff, and fitness classes, which you have access to for free or a small fee. The base also recently updated the outdoor track behind USUHS and put in some fitness equipment in obnoxious primary colors in stations around the track.

Lots of student go to the local Crossfit gym or yoga or rock climbing (highly rated indoor gym in Rockville) to stay in shape. Also Bethesda has plenty of local trails to run and bike as well.

2. When we aren’t studying, we generally hang out together. My class has a wide range of interests. I personally have done trivia, been on scavenger hunts, gone hiking, explored museums, gone to both a Nationals and an Orioles baseball game, multiple concerts at Verizon Theater and Merriweather Post Pavilion, got drinks in downtown DC. A significant portion of my classmates have families, but even they come to class gatherings as much as they can. I would say in my experience it does not have an undergrad vibe. There is a lot more emphasis on responsibility and accountability now.

3. Yes you have to be in uniform while on duty. Uniform rules are service specific, but for the most part stopping to get lunch in Bethesda doesn’t require a change of clothes. Neither will getting groceries or dinner on the way home from school.

4. I know most of my classmates well. There are still a few I have not interacted with much. Rotations separate the class out so you will become friends with people who you had little interaction with before your rotation. I’d say the majority of people study alone most of the time. There are study groups that form particularly around test weeks.

5. First year most people move into some of the large apartment complexes near USUHS with people they met at BOLC/COT/ODS or on their own or become roomates with other USUHS students in the classes above them. Second year, people move out to local houses and switch roommates. On rotations the road warriors tend to drop their apartments, put their stuff in storage and bank the extra BAH. Yes you keep the extra allowance. When they come back for testing they get a hotel room for the week. Others keep their place. It’s a matter of preference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
swtbrnpelican 04, thank you so much for those thorough answers! A lot of you answers are what I wanted to hear, so I'm even more excited to get to the application stage! I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the time to come.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for being so dang helpful!

I just noticed that this secondary requires a full year of organic chemistry lab. I've taken Ochem 1 and 2 and one semester of lab... I haven't heard of any medical school that requires Ochem 2 lab. Any input on this?

I was in the same situation but I emailed my pre-med advisor and she sent them the school curriculum and a syllabus of our organic chem sequences and what topics they cover. She said that was okay for me.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my secondary submitted and my AMCAS was verified yesterday! Just need to get my last letter writer to submit their letter and I'll be set to go!

I am still on the fence about this school. I've applied to 20+ MD schools so far, and I am leaning towards adding USUHS to my list. However, I have two questions, and I am wondering if current USUHS students (or others familiar with the school) can answer them for me.

1) When you apply to residencies as a USUHS student, how much control do you have regarding what residency you'll get? I understand that the military's needs come first, and everyone must apply for military residencies. But for the most part, do most students get what they want for residency?

2) If I am going to live in DC for 4 years, then I definitely want to travel the area during down-time. How is transportation in the DC area? Do you have to have a car to get by on a daily basis? Do most of the USUHS students own a car?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me!

I am still on the fence about this school. I've applied to 20+ MD schools so far, and I am leaning towards adding USUHS to my list. However, I have two questions, and I am wondering if current USUHS students (or others familiar with the school) can answer them for me.

1) When you apply to residencies as a USUHS student, how much control do you have regarding what residency you'll get? I understand that the military's needs come first, and everyone must apply for military residencies. But for the most part, do most students get what they want for residency?

2) If I am going to live in DC for 4 years, then I definitely want to travel the area during down-time. How is transportation in the DC area? Do you have to have a car to get by on a daily basis? Do most of the USUHS students own a car?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these for me!
1. Different services do this differently. I've looked a lot into the Navy side so will answer that. Some people get to go straight through to residencies but most do a nonspecific medical officer tour as a GMO. Your performance there can help decide your residency. You can also keep applying and/or apply to multiple residencies. Like you said a lot of it depends on current needs of the service.

2. Traffic in DC is miserable. As such I would actually almost recommend not having a car. Public transit can be a bit of a headache but will get you where you need to go including right to Walter Reid/ Bethesda. Not sure about most students and cars though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Different services do this differently. I've looked a lot into the Navy side so will answer that. Some people get to go straight through to residencies but most do a nonspecific medical officer tour as a GMO. Your performance there can help decide your residency. You can also keep applying and/or apply to multiple residencies. Like you said a lot of it depends on current needs of the service.

2. Traffic in DC is miserable. As such I would actually almost recommend not having a car. Public transit can be a bit of a headache but will get you where you need to go including right to Walter Reid/ Bethesda. Not sure about most students and cars though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your response!

As to having/not having a car...what about MS3 and MS4 when you have to go all over the place for your rotations? Will having a car during the latter two years of medical school make things easier?

I most definitely don't want anything to do with car ownership in medical school, but if having a car makes things easier/less time consuming, then that's a different story.

I just submitted my secondary and I'm freaking myself about it. In the email it states that all forms must be turned in as ONE PDF file but in the attached instructions that are downloaded it states they can be submitted individually as long as they are in one email. What did you guys end up doing? Are separate files in the same email alright?

I just submitted my secondary and I'm freaking myself about it. In the email it states that all forms must be turned in as ONE PDF file but in the attached instructions that are downloaded it states they can be submitted individually as long as they are in one email. What did you guys end up doing? Are separate files in the same email alright?

I submitted them all separate, a total of 5 .pdf files including the explanation as to why I didn't proffer a Premedical Committee letter. If they say something just point them to the very specific language that says it's acceptable in the instructions that should be the most accurate, as they just distributed it to us.

Ms. Baker is my liaison and I have yet to hear back from her, and I'm actually not sure she would send a confirmation email for anything. I know you are suppose to send an email with that in the subject line if you want confirmation, but my application isn't complete yet, so I haven't done that. Anyone have any info on this?

I submitted them all separate, a total of 5 .pdf files including the explanation as to why I didn't proffer a Premedical Committee letter. If they say something just point them to the very specific language that says it's acceptable in the instructions that should be the most accurate, as they just distributed it to us.

Ms. Baker is my liaison and I have yet to hear back from her, and I'm actually not sure she would send a confirmation email for anything. I know you are suppose to send an email with that in the subject line if you want confirmation, but my application isn't complete yet, so I haven't done that. Anyone have any info on this?

I sent the confirmation e-mail after submitting my Secondary and received a return e-mail from my liaison as soon as she processed it. I also sent a LoR confirmation/question and received confirmation again that my file was complete and being forwarded to the committee for review. My point person is wonderful!

I sent the confirmation e-mail after submitting my Secondary and received a return e-mail from my liaison as soon as she processed it. I also sent a LoR confirmation/question and received confirmation again that my file was complete and being forwarded to the committee for review. My point person is wonderful!

Same here - got the confirmations relatively quickly after both emails. I had multiple PDF files and sent them compressed in one .zip folder.

This is my top choice, and the prospect that among you are those that may potentially be my classmates/colleagues is really exciting.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they will start letting people know about interviews?

Ms. Baker got back to me on Monday with an email stating they had received my supplemental materials. She must have been on vacation last week...haha. :)

So I just got my MCAT back and this is my top choice: I got a 30 (11/9/10) and have a 3.5 GPA. You guys think I have a chance?

So I just got my MCAT back and this is my top choice: I got a 30 (11/9/10) and have a 3.5 GPA. You guys think I have a chance?

I think you've got a good shot. Your MCAT is balanced and your GPA decent. You are right around their averages for both. Do you have some good extra curriculars and LORs?

Reactions: 1 user
Volunteering: Over 300 hours at a local elementary school watching over/mentoring over 50 kids on my own (will be well over 300 hours when I apply)
Clinical/Shadowing: Over 250+ hours with 350 patients seen with my pediatrician who helped me through pneumonia, costocondritis and several bouts of bronchitis, performed examinations and other procedures on patients with patients and parents consent in order to learn, learned and was quizzed on physical examination of the pediatric patient from a medical textbook weekly.
Extracurriculars: 3 years of AMSA, 3 years of being a dedicated baritone in a competitive Acapella group here, was in the University Math Society for 2 years, was a student senator for student government in the summer 2012.
LORS: 1. Pediatrician I shadowed/learned under who was the reason I wanted to go into medicine
2. Music and health honors professor
3. Very close friend my high school band director who I was a section leader in his band for 3 years, marched for 4 years total, helped me through problems with a family member who has been in and out of mental hospitals for a long while
4. Calculus 3 professor who claimed I was his top student
5. Physics 2 Lab head, told me to my face that he admired and respected my hard work
Reasons for wanting to go into medicine: mixture of wanting to help kids who were like me, over anxious about scary illnesses like pneumonia, to help them through their fears physiologically and emotionally, also to gain perspective on the physiological aspects of the mental illness my family member has that has deeply affected my family.

So... I need some advise,

I got an email saying that applicants with an MCAT score lower than a 29 tend to retake it and if they don't, to email the liason as to why I would not consider retaking the exam. I got a 25 the first time, retook it this May and got a 26... My e-mcat scores were around 27-28 range so I don't know if I am going to drastically improve even if I retake it, plus the applications pretty much maxed out my credit cards and emptied out my savings...

Any advise? Should I retake it to get maybe a point higher or no?
I am kind of hoping working as a microbiology lab student aide for 3 yrs while going to college full time helps me get in somewhere...

So... I need some advise,

I got an email saying that applicants with an MCAT score lower than a 29 tend to retake it and if they don't, to email the liason as to why I would not consider retaking the exam. I got a 25 the first time, retook it this May and got a 26... My e-mcat scores were around 27-28 range so I don't know if I am going to drastically improve even if I retake it, plus the applications pretty much maxed out my credit cards and emptied out my savings...

Any advise? Should I retake it to get maybe a point higher or no?
I am kind of hoping working as a microbiology lab student aide for 3 yrs while going to college full time helps me get in somewhere...
Did you get an email from USUHS about it or a different school?

If it's from USUHS I would say it probably means they are considering you as "on the fence" or "borderline" with your current MCAT but higher with a better one. If that's the case I would say it's up to you as far as how badly you want to go to USUHS versus a different school.

I will tell you this, USUHS used to be quite a bit easier to get into compared to other schools than it is now. Admissions requirements/averages have steadily increased and it is very competitive. It used to be used as a "safe-bet" for people and cannot be any longer.

It was specifically from USUHS. I really do like the school and the idea of serving the military, I will give it some more thought. Thank you for your input!

It was specifically from USUHS. I really do like the school and the idea of serving the military, I will give it some more thought. Thank you for your input!
Have you looked into HSPS? If you do that route you can go to whatever school you get into and still have it paid for an be in the military afterwards.

Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad option. I just didn't know if I should take that email as a "Hey, you probably should retake your MCAT because it shows you are trying to be a better candidate" or interpret as "Give us a good reason why your MCAT score was low and we may take it into consideration"

Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad option. I just didn't know if I should take that email as a "Hey, you probably should retake your MCAT because it shows you are trying to be a better candidate" or interpret as "Give us a good reason why your MCAT score was low and we may take it into consideration"
I definitely could see reading that either way but I don't know the answer... If you have time to study, take it again. If you don't, don't. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Thank you so much for your input! It has certainly helped me feel a little better.

I will tell you this, USUHS used to be quite a bit easier to get into compared to other schools than it is now. Admissions requirements/averages have steadily increased and it is very competitive. It used to be used as a "safe-bet" for people and cannot be any longer.

Could I ask why you are under the impression that it was easier? I'm just curious. I was under the impression that average stats were lower due to the fact that ~50% of matriculants were already in the military (thus less time for schooling/MCATS/etc)

Last edited:
Could I ask why you are under the impression that it was easier? I'm just curious. I was under the impression that average stats were lower due to the fact that ~50% of matriculants were already in the military (thus less time for schooling/MCATS/etc)

That used to "somewhat" be the case but is very much not so now. Average MCAT last cycle was 31 which is fairly normal

Error: That was just the prelim stuff: guess I gotta wait until after all of this stuff is submitted to get the II.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. So what if we don't know our premed advisor? And what if there was only 1 semester of Orgo lab?

Yeah. So what if we don't know our premed advisor? And what if there was only 1 semester of Orgo lab?

Do you mean that you don't know them personally? You usually don't need to know them personally. If you don't know that one exists, just call up and ask, and put down their info. In anticipation of other concerns, USUHS doesn't require a committee letter so you don't have to put down a premed advisor/committee chair on your letter checklist, but you will have to explain this to them. (Extra statement that you create and mail in with your supplementary materials)

Also, if your school had a weird way of doing courses/labs, then usually the premed advisor or someone else at the school from the office of the registrar or even dean would write a letter explaining the way the curriculum works. Or you could even substitute it with something else. Look below.

• One full year of biology with one full-year of laboratory
  • The Admissions Committee will accept general biology, human anatomy, human physiology (or anatomy and physiology combined), microbiology, zoology, animal biology and cell biology.
  • The Committee will not accept botany, plant biology, environmental biology, pro-karyotic biology, environmental science, ecology and geology.
  • If you have taken a course which is not listed above, contact the Admissions Office via email for a personal response.
  • One full year of inorganic chemistry with one full year of laboratory
  • The Admissions Committee will accept general chemistry, biochemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry and introductory chemistry.
  • One full year of organic chemistry with one full year of laboratory
  • The Admissions Committee will accept general organic chemistry, introductory organic chemistry, structures and reactions and chemical structural analysis.
  • The Committee will not accept biochemistry in place of organic chemistry. Please consult your school's course catalog to make sure that your particular course is organic.
  • One full year of physics with one full year of laboratory
  • The Admissions Committee will accept introductory physics, calculus-based physics, algebra-based physics and mechanics, fluids and engineering.
  • The Committee will not accept meteorology, astronomy, mechanics of the heavens, etc.
  • One full year of English
  • The Admissions Committee will accept writing and literature courses and foreign languages.
  • The Committee will not accept communications courses, public speaking or social science classes (i.e. psychology, sociology or political science).
  • One semester of calculus
  • The Admissions Committee will accept business calculus, survey of calculus and introductory calculus.
  • The Committee will not accept pre-calculus or statistics. If your school designates a course as "analysis," please be sure to note whether it is calculus.

You just write them on the supplementary application. Have you gone through the instructions?

This question has come up a few times. Short answer, ask your admissions advisor at USUHS but the "requirement" is 2 semesters.

A few others have been told they need a second semester of Organic Chem lab. Furthermore, quite a few med schools require this, so if you can get it into your schedule this spring it's probably worth doing regardless.

There isn't a first semester. Orgo lab here is done in one semester, as a coreq with orgo 2.

There isn't a first semester. Orgo lab here is done in one semester, as a coreq with orgo 2.
You aren't the first to say that's the case with your school, but I would definitely contact admissions at any schools you are applying to (that require 2 semesters) and explain that so they aren't thinking you just didn't do part of the requirement.

I did, thanks Glycereine. Dr. Saguil is helping me out, what a kind and helpful guy!

Hey guys I got the email too, asking if I want to take the MCAT again. The problem is my case is that I took the exam twice, it's just that I got 32 on my first time and 28 on my second try (gah). What should I do in this case?

Hey guys I got the email too, asking if I want to take the MCAT again. The problem is my case is that I took the exam twice, it's just that I got 32 on my first time and 28 on my second try (gah). What should I do in this case?

I would think you would be fine, but still email them that your previous score was higher than a 29 and maybe explain why the second one was low

Is anyone sure what the LOR requirement is? In the informational packet it asks for 2 science professors, but their website says 1. Also, if we don't have a premedical committee at our school, is the letter they want really as simple as saying "My school does not have a premedical committee."?

Is anyone sure what the LOR requirement is? In the informational packet it asks for 2 science professors, but their website says 1. Also, if we don't have a premedical committee at our school, is the letter they want really as simple as saying "My school does not have a premedical committee."?

My school's pre-med office offered an official letter stating that we do not have a committee.

it is 2 science letters, 1 nonscienc, 1 clinical, and premed committee if your school has one